Sheet Folders in Testing ร—

The Second Step

Ruess

Posted (edited)

Deeds And Words

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png"Lady Neferkare is expecting a group of five. It will not reflect well if one or more members are absent from the meeting. While I fully understand your preference to not suffer the absent manners of nobility, the choices available are limited. If you would rather not don a guise of nobility for a short expedition, the raised idea of clerical appearance is not impossible but it relies on your clergy knowing the required mannerism of highest societal classes, possibly also the details of cultures of each House. Do you believe your priestess would be up to the task?"

Varon also looks to Lizard-Shade when Gnome-Shade raises a question.
"Act insulted. Make a racket. Shout. Be angry. Declare feud. You are important. So important. Never fails." comes Lizard-Shade's sibilant answer, with an accompanying grin and a slow chuckle. Then, when Skold brings up comes the matter of Tiiign Trading Company.... "No. Not in this life. Not ever." Lizard-Shade's muscles tighten, mirroring a tightening of his voice.

Varon takes over at the clear upset of Lizard-Shade and anwers to Skold."Tiign Trading Company would likely take it poorly if you attempted to use their name and we do not have the time to arrange a meeting. Perhaps in later days? Your sggestions has merit. But please note, the company is very keen on its profits you will need something to offer, an idea, a plan or something equitable unless you have trading business to commit with them. You may have an angle of approach being adventurers as you are."

Then. to Sarai, Varon speaks: "This arrangement is primarily a matter of favors exchanged, firstly between myself and Shade, with the understanding that after all this dis-order has settled, we will settle accounts if someone feels owed favors or payments, and secondly with yourselves as an opportune factor that ascertains that this is a plan that benefits all parties. We will not demand a favor in return, nor demand payment. Our goals align at this time to such extent. At the same time, if you should find yourselves with an opportunity, a favor returned is always welcome. And if you have the interest, Shade would likely appreciate hearing in detail regarding this visitation."Shade.jpg.aef459b08dc46ebdec28b32e9f8cc06e.jpg

Then the topic switches to assassinations.

Lizard-Shade answers first. "It aligns, yes? First, earth quakes. Tombs open. Mausoleums awaken. Chaos. So much chaos. Fire from below, eats the city. Rats from sewers. Disorder like fire. In that, death. Several deaths. Perfect diversion. Perfect killing. Good plan. It. All. Makes. Sense...yes? So, to you, silver-hair, advise. From Shade, to Friend. Ask this: who benefits? Who inherits? Who begets? Where does treasures go?"

Varon needs a moment to let Lizard-Shade finishsh before speaking up.

To your questions regarding assassinations, I must answer that I do not know. The timing on both the assassins and Evening Glory's clergy's visitations is a very opportune coincidence. We may be able to find more from the lady herself, if one or more of you possess the social skills to... Persude her to indulge our curiosity."

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:14 A.M

Edited by Ruess (see edit history)

Sister Elektra. Healer & Elementalist

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _________________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra paints her face with a well-practiced 'public' smile when Varon fails to follow normal social conventions, but the Elemental Priestess is far from surprised by the lack of formalities given unusual meeting and the nature of its primary constituents clearly understanding that no offense is intended.

Sitting and listening, the holy woman mentally muses to herself, I wish I knew more about the deity, 'Evening Glory.' All we learned was their motto, 'death need not do love apart,' which the elders usually speculated to either be deceptive or possibly involve a hidden trick or cost.

However, when mention is made of acting as disguised nobles or as clergy, the Dwarven minister speaks up saying, "I believe we should use the clerical excuse to enter the sector. First of all, it's true so no one will have to lie or could be found to be lying. Second, I actually am a Priestess and know the psalms and prayers, so there will also be no reason to bluff."

"Furthermore, if the church agrees to pay those who also wish to enter to act as bodyguards and I hand you each a coin before the job, you can honestly claim to be paid bodyguards and also won't have to bluff or lie to gain admission to the place," the stout woman adds with a sincere smile.

"On the other hand, if we pretend to be nobles and there is a single slip up, then the deception will be exposed. To the contrary, since the clergy-plan has no deception involved in it there simply is no risk of such exposure," Elektra adds logically hoping to avoid needless lying and the eventual repercussions from the gods that typically follows such behavior.

"Finally, even if required to disclose our reason to enter, there is nothing suspicious about a noble family and the church agreeing to discuss the acquisition of an object of historical importance from our collection. Such is common practice among both the rich and the elite, and once again, has the benefit of being true," the cleric adds with a hopeful smile silently praying the group goes with truth over deception.

As for the rest of the discussion between Varon and the reptilian, Shade, Sister Elektra merely listens and attempts to decipher what she can and commit to memory those details which she can't, in the hope of latter putting the pieces of the puzzle together with the able help and different perspective of her more intellectual and street-experienced colleagues at a more opportune time, as she watches and listens to everyone and everything around her.

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+3 11

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Female   Gray Elf   Enchanter 2  

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 1

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpgThat is very gracious of you, Sarai says with a smile in response to Varon's offer, essentially providing the services for free.. or at least that's how one might read it, if they were less skilled in the social graces. Her gaze would shift to the blue reptile and she would add, of course we'll keep your interests in mind in the future.

And what price will you exact on us later, oh shady one?

When discussion turns to the assassinations, and the possible involvement of a religious sect, the bookworm would speak up. Evening Glory, she begins, then looks to Elektra, they're almost something of a death cult, aren't they? When she sees her friend has few answers for her, she would continue, or an undeath cult. The Eternal Lover or Deathless Beauty, as she is also known, holds that love transcends mortal bounds, that death does not have to be the end. It's likely no happy coincidence that members of that order visited our dear Lady Neferkare so soon after the "assassinations," she makes air quotes for emphasis when speaking the last word.

She then continues, with a look to Varon for confirmation of her assumptions. From what I understand, Lady Neferkare is fairly high-placed in the nobility. She would have the resources, including possibly the family crypts, if there are any under the manor. With all the unrest, would she go so far as raising her dead ancestors to help her fight her enemies? This last question is directed at the bald man, a concerning look on the young elf maid's face.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 9/9 | BAB 1 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 1

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (18/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Detect Magic, Daze, Mage Hand
1st Level:  Charm Person, Hypnotism, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: Friendly Face

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1

Macsen listens to the exchange and the information provided by Shade and Varon. Nodding in agreement as Sarai explains about the Evening Glory. "Yes, they are very much into the idea of love being beyond death and death not being a barrier to such things." Macsen gives a shudder at the thought of what that actually entails.

"I wonder if it was her that summoned them to her manor, in search of a way to be reunited with her loved ones. Or are they using this opportunity to manipulate her. Hmm yes I think Shade, it would be good to persuade her to give us some answers."

"In terms of the guise we take, I see merit in both and as much as we can try there is always going to be a degree of deception. Varon your point about knowing the cultures of the noble houses, should we pursue the clergy route, do you know of such for House Ichtion Varon and Elketra?"

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 20/20 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

Skold had heard enough stories to know Tiign didn't become a name that big without some truth behind the tales, but it came as a small surprise all the same to see their draconian sponsor react so strongly to the idea. It gave him pause, wondering if Tiign truly was a world away and too dangerous to tangle with, but unflappable Varon was a reminder that nothing was too far away if you planned and approached correctly. Skold gave a thoughtful nod in acknowledgement, not wanting to discuss it at anymore length given Shade's discomfort of the subject.

Their guise has some back and forth going on. "It's nice to have the truth," he adds in response to Elektra, "but not everyone believes or even cares for the truth. Different Faiths in the same place don't always get along either, so we may need to be careful to appear cooperative, not competitive. Better, even, to look small if we can. To have nothing to do with death so it never occurs to them we could be a danger."

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=15/15 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=2, Will = 6 _________________________________________________________________________

Sister Elektra smiles and jovially replies, "Well, you almost have me convinced to needlessly lie for no gain or advantage whatsoever."

Slightly confused, the Dwarven Priestess says to Skold, "I'm not sure that pretending to be a group of nobles counts as looking small or are you suggesting a third alternative?"

"Additionally, I would be shocked if a Death Cult took notice of a nobody cleric acting as a cleric in order to gain admission through a common internal city check point to sell a piece of artwork, or even how such a mundane action is competitive with anyone else."

"Furthermore, I would be surprised if any other religions or faiths are even monitoring everyone who is passing through from one sector of the city to another sector, although I suppose anything is possible," she adds with legitimate skepticism. 

Next the holy woman asks Varon in order to have more information, "By the way, is it illegal to impersonate nobility and, if so, is there a criminal or civil penalty associated with it?"

"Besides being permanently socially shunned and potentially politically ostracized by those in power or, even worse, being confused as associated with the assassins who are hiding and operating in the city, that is?"

Show Mechanics

PURCHASES: Cure Light Wounds Potion, Scroll (Comprehend Languages), Potion Bandolier, 2 Flasks of Acid, 3 Crossbow Bolts, Wand of Vigor, Lessor (4/50 charges) = 170 GP, 3 SP

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

He listens to all the chatter.

I think simpler is better. Like Elecktra says, why pretend to be something we are not and risk being caught in the lie. We go in with a cleric who is going to offer her assistance to the Lady as well as having an item which we have herd the Lady might be interested in buying. We could still wear the nicer clothes so we don't stand out too badly from everyone else, but we never tell anyone we are nobles and we stick to the truth of what we are doing.

OOC

Skold

Crusader half orc.webpSkold - Crusader

HP: 20/20 | Init: +0 | AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 Reflex: +0 Will: +1 |

Stance: Martial Spirit | Maneuvers | Steely Resolve 0/5

"I'm not saying no, I just-" he grumbled a little, not pleased that he hadn't been received the way he intended. He wrestled with the words in his head for a moment trying to find a way to re-phrase things less...militantly. "I'm not worried about the nobles, I have confidence enough in all of us to make this work, but if we go in as faith - and I'm happy to do so - I reckon it would be wise for Evening Glory to underestimate us. If we go in too strong, step all over their holy territory as it were, we risk putting them on the defensive. They've already got questionable intentions, so I'd not like to see what they do if they feel unduly pressured."

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpgSarai would listen a moment, expressionless except for a brief smile when Shade mentions wearing "the nicer clothes." Once the discussion had gone back and forth, she would give Skold a pleading look.

Elektra is right, she would say to the tall warrior. Our official business is just that: business. There's no need for subterfuge, just good manners. Her concerned look would turn to a warm smile. Just follow my lead and we should be fine.

She would shift her gaze to Elektra and Shade in turn, adding, any inquiries we make of a religious or political nature should be done discreetly.

Once the plan was decided, she would turn her practiced smile on their reptilian host. Would you, perchance, have anything in my color?

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 
Potions: CLW (2), Parchment (4), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8)

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)

Deeds And Words

VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

"The choice is yours to make, and we - Shade and myself - will work within its frames. You sound confident enough in your plan that we believe you are able to make it succeed," Varon answers, having listened to your points. And, it bears mentioning, he listened while his eyes were upon each speaker respectively, and also while nodding his head to indicate that he followed the words. It was very clearly both forced and wooden; an all-across clumsy performance, really.

"Dressing as nobility is not illegal presently. We would have a civil war within the city if it was. Nor is attempting to pass Shade.jpg.aef459b08dc46ebdec28b32e9f8cc06e.jpgas a noble a crime, so long as no..." Here, Varon pauses to think. Shade speaks up right after.

"Sell them something and run for it? Oh, yes, that. That is crime. Very bad. Heads-off bad. Poor Martyn." Lizard-Shade displays a nasty grin at the mention of this Martyn character. "Martyn was smart, declared hisself Martyne Summerhall Third... Was fun. Was great. Then lions ate Martyn, because Martyn drunk too happily near Busybody-Anet. Bastard."

"So long as no legal action is taken in the role of noble. This does include financial matters. The courts have been very exhaustively thorough on that," Varon continues once Shade is done. "As for the matter of raising one's family?"

Varon takes a moment to consider before he answers to Sarai. "That is a very probable outcome. The points you have raised in suspicion are well placed. It would be a perfect time for a priest of Evening Glory to offer a solution to someone whose family recently perished through violence during exceptionally uncertain times. If at the same time her predecessors and extended family members stir in their mausoleums in troubling manner while possesd of hostile disposition, it may seem like divine aid sent at perfect time. A miracle, if you will."

"Create a problem. Solve it. Get rewards. Perfect plan," Lizard-Shadecomments, but then he heard Sarai's last question, which the elf just posed to Lizard-Shade. It produces a blink from the reptilian man, but his grin shifts to one with far less teeth on display as he answers: "Yesss~ Finery in green? Red? Blue? What can humble Shade offer to fine Sarai Of Moonveil?"

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:14 A.M

Sarai2.jpg.7e6c309d44573b0254d65bf50647ec9e.jpgSuch a dear, she replies with a coy smile and one raised brow. Gazing unabashedly over his physique, she adds, I have always been partial to blue and violet.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 

Money
51 g, 61 s, 13 c

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action:

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

spacer.png Macsen Mistwalker

AC: 15, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 13, HP: 8/8, Initiative: +2, Saves: Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1

At the suggestion of the disguises to be used Macsen perks up. "I'll certainly take something in blue!" Macsen gives a wink.

"Well looks like we've made our decision. Other than getting our best finery on, is there anything else that you think we should know before heading into this meeting?"

Sister Elektra grunts and says, "Ain't no way I'll pass as some 'fancy-pants' noble do-nothing!"

"I'll just go as myself, after all many religions cling to the nobility like leeches on a wet dog," she adds confirming the accuracy of her prior statement.

"That being said, there is no use in not updating my holy attire with the colors of the various elements," the Elemental Priestess adds with a grin.

"New vestments and accouterments in fiery red, icy blue, earthy green, and white sheer representing air would be absolutely perfect," she adds.

"Thank you!"

Show Mechanics

Free Action:   

Move:  

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Standard Action:  

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 2 

AC: 18, HP: 12/12, Initiative: +4, Perception: +8, Search: +8

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Shade decides to join in with requests for the colors of his fancy clothes.

I would prefer something in black with grey highlights. Something obviously noble, but also functional if I have to duck into shadows. Would not due to be wearing flashy bright clothes if I have to do some sneaking. Oh, and if you could find me a reversible cloak. Dark on one side and grays and whites on the other that would be very helpful too.

OOC

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

Under The Sun

You suffer the tedium that comes with donning finery that you are not versed in. You are assisted in this by two men, both of whom are named Taylor. There is a lot of silk and linen involved, but it is worth every moment spent putting on the trappings of highest sociey class. The socks and shoes and boots alone are something to write passionate letters home about. One of the Taylors casts a quick prestiedication as well, to rid you of the street dust and sweat.

Once you are finished at Bent Copper, Varon leads you to charter a boat on the city's waterways. It is not a long sail due to said waterways taking you straight through the city, and thus you are able to disembark from a canal boat onto a quay that in turn leads to a lovely looking garden area where a well armed gatehouse awaits you. Even all the way from here, standing on the quay, the troopers manning the gatehouse are visible in their colorful surcoats and polished suits of armor. Their halberds catch the sun sharply enough to leave no doubt about their lethality.

The fresh water under your boots fills your nostrils with a pleasant, fresh scent. Ahead, some twenty feet of distance away, you spy a cluster of seven dwarves with luxurious beards and hair on an approach course to the gatehouse. They look important and exceptionally well-powdered, and just as well-eaten.

You could wait and see...

You could hail these seven dwarves and see what is going on...

You could see what Varon thinks...

RielatThird weekday, 30th49 days to a month, except Mesha is a day short of MeshaFirst month of the year, out of eight in total. 8:26 A.M

ร—
ร—