Out of Character (Application Questions)

MidnightPoet

1 hour ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

@MidnightPoet Just for clarity. Do you mean that an Elite Rapier is 500 gp? Or 500 sp = 50 gp?

thanks

Not the GM, but I've got the Grim Hollow book and it lists those prices in GP. So... yeah, an Elite Rapier is probably 500gp. (If that's wrong no complaints from me: my rifle would get a big discount! But I think we're not that lucky)

On 2/9/2024 at 5:59 PM, Inquisitor D said:

Hehe. For two people who technically have the same job, (but work for different groups, which I guess makes us... business rivals?) I think Irata and Lash would be a pretty fun duo if they both got in. ;) Just having someone competent at the hunt around would make Irata jealous, guilty, and awed... probably at the same time.

Business rivals... maybe. I don't know if Lash would think of any such thing because she's a little... single-minded but if nothing else she'd probably at least ask Irata if she was taking her job seriously at some point just. Because she's a little too blunt.

i've already formed a lot of ideas for this game, but i might need some input for which one to use if any particular one sounds good to you folks:

- Mage hunter whose obsession with destroying magic caught the attention of an eldritch Void Entity (Vraigoroth?) that wants to consume mana. Aberrant Horror that becomes more and more diaphanous and shadowy as her power grows, becoming something of an arcane black-hole. Likely Watcher Paladin, Monster Slayer Ranger or Shadow Monk.

- human who was resurrected with dubious mechanical technology that makes him look like a mangled zombie with metal plates bolted into him. Has few memories of previous life. Probably Warforged stats? Not sure about class or transformation with this one, might need some custom stuff

- cannibalistic ghoul with the demeanor of a kindly grandmother, who encourages the party to take 'second helpings' and insists they're going to waste away with how skinny they are. Long Death Monk, probably, or some flavor of barbarian. Re-flavored vampire transformation.

- disgruntled anarchist who bonded with a spark of a primal fire elemental after diving into a burning building (that he was responsible for) to save a child, undergoing a spiritual epiphany in the process and resigning himself to fight 'real' monsters from now on, so that he wouldn't end up torching the wrong person. Most likely a sorcerer, though Wildfire Druid would also work fine.

8 hours ago, astronavigatrix said:

Business rivals... maybe. I don't know if Lash would think of any such thing because she's a little... single-minded but if nothing else she'd probably at least ask Irata if she was taking her job seriously at some point just. Because she's a little too blunt.

To be clear, I was joking with 'Business rivals'. ^^ It's just interesting to me that you don't tend to see different religious organizations in the same area sorta coexisting a ton of the time in Fantasy, unless you've got a major polytheistic 'every god has it's own temple' thing going. The Arcanist Inquisition honours the Seraphs, just as the Watchers do, only with their own take on what that means and their own internal hierarchy. And we're both in the territory of the Hearthkeeper Church so... whooo! Complexity!

And that question would hit Irata hilariously hard. Like, she'll insist that she is at first then spend days thinking about how Lash got that idea, try to work it out from subtle hints, then fall into a depressive sulk over it. ^^

@MidnightPoet There is something I missed in character creation, and that is the free feat with the Background. It can be any feat that doesn't included an ability stat increase, correct? I was wondering, since I don't have the books Grim Hollow, are there feats that came out with this setting? I found some online, but I can't be for certain that they are setting specific or just someone's homebrew.

Also, you have mentioned a host of languages in this setting, how important is that going to be?

@MidnightPoet Now that I have a bit of time to put an real application together, I think I've decided on a concept; I'm leaning toward the Rune Knight I mentioned before. I like the idea of being an outlander from a different culture, and of being a noble giant. There's also a decent amount of social characters already out and about, but not too many Big Strong Types.

Since the Giant transformation lets me be Large size all the time, I wanted to ask: how does that interact with weapons and armor? I've seen conflicting decisions from different places, and figure it'd be best to just get your ruling.

As a Large character, would I wield Large weapons, which do larger damage dice? Or would I still use the regular rules? And is the cost different, whether for weapons or armor? If they deal more damage, I could see the cost going up accordingly; I could see the costs for armor going up regardless, since I'm larger. I would plan on, eventually, upgrading to Full Plate, and would like to use the Smith's Tools that Rune Knight gives me proficiency with to make it. But the cost of the item factors into that, and I'm curious how you rule that all working.

I'm obviously biased toward the option that increases my damage, but would be fine with either eventuality. I just figure it's best to have this hashed out before I finish the sheet.

I'm also interested in how you see being Large sized affecting the social aspect of this game; I feel like it would make it impossible to go unknown in the city, but I wouldn't be opposed to the notoriety. Though, I feel like the Inquisition might have some qualms.

22 minutes ago, rauhric said:

@MidnightPoet There is something I missed in character creation, and that is the free feat with the Background. It can be any feat that doesn't included an ability stat increase, correct? I was wondering, since I don't have the books Grim Hollow, are there feats that came out with this setting? I found some online, but I can't be for certain that they are setting specific or just someone's homebrew.

Also, you have mentioned a host of languages in this setting, how important is that going to be?

I'm not sure which website you are using, but the official feats are: blackpowder expert, blood hound, hulking figure, iron gut, lightning caster, nimble physique, nocturnal, scatter weapon master, thrown weapon master, master of maledictions, and witch hunter.

I am fine with homebrew as I have tweaked the setting and transformations to better fit my vision for the setting. Just let me know the specifics.

I am trying to add more uses for languages into the game, so there are benefits to learning them. That said, it is not mandatory you will be able to talk to everyone by knowing Lower or High Burach. If you are interested in having more options when talking to NPCs or disguising yourself though, I would recommend studying more languages.

47 minutes ago, Rayth said:

Since the Giant transformation lets me be Large size all the time, I wanted to ask: how does that interact with weapons and armor? I've seen conflicting decisions from different places, and figure it'd be best to just get your ruling.

As a Large character, would I wield Large weapons, which do larger damage dice? Or would I still use the regular rules? And is the cost different, whether for weapons or armor? If they deal more damage, I could see the cost going up accordingly; I could see the costs for armor going up regardless, since I'm larger. I would plan on, eventually, upgrading to Full Plate, and would like to use the Smith's Tools that Rune Knight gives me proficiency with to make it. But the cost of the item factors into that, and I'm curious how you rule that all working.

Large weapons and armor are priced at +50% of the market price for the extra material and time needed to make them. This increase is also applied to gold and time spent crafting it yourself. The weapons will inflict additional damage appropriate to the size increase as well.

I do not see a huge detriment to this, as it does fulfill a player fantasy and can still be controlled by me. I will warn you that you will spend a large amount of time in an urban environment, where 5-foot-wide alleys and hallways are common. While the majority of the population are human, there are still Halflings and Gnomes living in the city, and their homes and neighborhoods will reflect their personal needs.

If you are large, it is recommended to have a spare weapon or two prepared for close-quarters fighting.

12 hours ago, Krimsin said:

i've already formed a lot of ideas for this game, but i might need some input for which one to use if any particular one sounds good to you folks:

- Mage hunter whose obsession with destroying magic caught the attention of an eldritch Void Entity (Vraigoroth?) that wants to consume mana. Aberrant Horror that becomes more and more diaphanous and shadowy as her power grows, becoming something of an arcane black-hole. Likely Watcher Paladin, Monster Slayer Ranger or Shadow Monk.

- human who was resurrected with dubious mechanical technology that makes him look like a mangled zombie with metal plates bolted into him. Has few memories of previous life. Probably Warforged stats? Not sure about class or transformation with this one, might need some custom stuff

- cannibalistic ghoul with the demeanor of a kindly grandmother, who encourages the party to take 'second helpings' and insists they're going to waste away with how skinny they are. Long Death Monk, probably, or some flavor of barbarian. Re-flavored vampire transformation.

- disgruntled anarchist who bonded with a spark of a primal fire elemental after diving into a burning building (that he was responsible for) to save a child, undergoing a spiritual epiphany in the process and resigning himself to fight 'real' monsters from now on, so that he wouldn't end up torching the wrong person. Most likely a sorcerer, though Wildfire Druid would also work fine.

The mage hunter and anarchist will be best.

Be aware that a creature who is obviously undead or mechanical will get a lot of attention and catch the attention of the Arcane Inquisition. It is best if you have a method for them to pass off as normal.

@MidnightPoet OK, those were the feats mentioned, but since they didn't mention a source I just didn't know if they were official or homebrew. I think I will pick the Prodigy feat which includes a language, a tool, a skill, and a specialty in any skill already already taken.

@MidnightPoet

So I'll probably go with the mage hunter. She's a 'paladin', having sworn an oath against wicked spellcasters, but is only partially aware of her connection to the Void that allows her to dispel magic. Would this even count as divine magic in lore, or is it more of a warlock situation? Further to that, would she be affiliated with the inquisition, or are 'secular inquisitors' who fight fire with fire not really allowed? In which case, is there another organization that might work better?

Edited by Krimsin (see edit history)

How...profitable are we expecting the first (few) adventures to be? And/or could one take out a loan?
Between heavy armor and 750gp advanced weaponry being on the wishlist 500gp is great, but just still short of the goal.

Also, with monstercarving being such a big thing in this setting, are there new Artisan Tools to cover the proficiency?

2 hours ago, Krimsin said:

@MidnightPoet

So I'll probably go with the mage hunter. She's a 'paladin', having sworn an oath against wicked spellcasters, but is only partially aware of her connection to the Void that allows her to dispel magic. Would this even count as divine magic in lore, or is it more of a warlock situation? Further to that, would she be affiliated with the inquisition, or are 'secular inquisitors' who fight fire with fire not really allowed? In which case, is there another organization that might work better?

This is somewhat of a grey area. The Inquisition is allowed to use magic items and 'divine gifts' to fight back against mages and to extract confessions, but whether or not their gifts truly comes from the gods is debatable. If you are an inquisitor, you are more likely to reflavor your magic as a series of magical tools or as a divine gift bestowed upon you by Empyreus.

As for an alternative organization, you can choose the Watchers of the Faithful. The churches of the 6 archseraphs each have their own branches within the organization and they are native to Baruch. They do police the faithful and provide protection against monsters and criminals as well, but without the explicit antagonism against magic.

43 minutes ago, Escheton said:

How...profitable are we expecting the first (few) adventures to be? And/or could one take out a loan?
Between heavy armor and 750gp advanced weaponry being on the wishlist 500gp is great, but just still short of the goal.

Also, with monstercarving being such a big thing in this setting, are there new Artisan Tools to cover the proficiency?

The Society of the Occult can purchase equipment and lend it to you in the near future. Although you will not technically own it, you may purchase it after sufficient time has passed (typically one monster hunt against a monster of imminent threat) for half-price. You can consider it a form of advance payment for the job. Which weapon are you considering?

No. You will use skills and existing tool proficiencies to harvest them. You may add your profession bonuses if applicable. You are also allowed to work in teams to meet certain requirements for monstercarving as well. The video gives a good example and includes a downloadable pdf: https://youtu.be/Nvz-W3RrByc?si=ddWfvZQTZPKg_arR&t=336

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)