Out of Character (Application Questions)

MidnightPoet

5 hours ago, RillaTaj said:

So I have three potential character concepts.

I concur for the monk too. More internal struggle, so many possibilities for character development, might it be by becoming better or worse. I'm a sucker for tragic monk stories, like the ones of the 70-90 Wuxias movies.

As one more applicant with a Seraph transformation planned, the monk is extremely tempting in terms of the PC interaction angle. Having a Downcast, someone who knew this power, who probably deserves it more than you... it's got such potential! All three are fun, and I can actually see some Irata-specific character interaction angles with a Dragonborn Paladin given their place in the Inquisition's history, but yeah, the monk feels like the seller here.

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

On 2/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, Stoneshanks said:

I had a character concept in mind that would use the warforged mechanics combined with the specter transformation. Basic idea would be a character hodgepodge-ed together from the wreckage of ships and fragmented souls of fallen sailors by a chaotic primordial/aberration. The character's driving purpose being developing a sense of self and purpose.

Would this be an appropriate path to pursue mechanically and for the setting?

@MidnightPoet I realized I probably should have mentioned you for this question. To refine it I was thinking of being tied to Alando and maybe the primordial transformation.

On 2/11/2024 at 3:54 PM, MidnightPoet said:
Large weapons and armor are priced at +50% of the market price for the extra material and time needed to make them. This increase is also applied to gold and time spent crafting it yourself. The weapons will inflict additional damage appropriate to the size increase as well.

I do not see a huge detriment to this, as it does fulfill a player fantasy and can still be controlled by me. I will warn you that you will spend a large amount of time in an urban environment, where 5-foot-wide alleys and hallways are common. While the majority of the population are human, there are still Halflings and Gnomes living in the city, and their homes and neighborhoods will reflect their personal needs.

If you are large, it is recommended to have a spare weapon or two prepared for close-quarters fighting.

I'm a bit late, but that all seems fair. I've taken the increased pricing into account, as well as adjusted my damage dice. I also increased the item weight following guidelines I found online. And so, I think my character is done. I realize I forgot to ask if this rule applied to unarmed attacks as well; following your recommendation, and to focus on grappling as much as I'm focusing on spear and polearm use, I have the Unarmed Fighting Combat Style, so hopefully that'll suffice when in close-quarters. I'm assuming the damage dice will also increase, but will change that if you rule otherwise.

And warning received. Navigating an urban environment as a giant is something I'm interested in dealing with, and I presume that if you thought it would be completely prohibitive, you wouldn't have included Giant as a Transformation Path. Calder is big, but not so big that I think he couldn't fit down a 5-foot-wide alley. Five feet is pretty wide. He'd be squeezing when it comes to the 5-foot grid, but I think it's physically possible. He might have a hard time swinging a halberd in there, but that's when the fists come out.

13 hours ago, RillaTaj said:

Thanks to all who replied for the input :)

Everyone did an awesome job filling in for me while I was traveling.

As for the Lapsed Inquisitor background, I do let you customize the advanced background. So you can choose the background feature, and then customize your skills and benefits (as a normal background). The only difference is that you need to provide some kind of trajectory for your character development. A suitable example might be as a private detective. The NPCs and monsters I hook to you would be based off your work as a private detective.

3 hours ago, Rayth said:

I'm a bit late, but that all seems fair. I've taken the increased pricing into account, as well as adjusted my damage dice. I also increased the item weight following guidelines I found online. And so, I think my character is done. I realize I forgot to ask if this rule applied to unarmed attacks as well; following your recommendation, and to focus on grappling as much as I'm focusing on spear and polearm use, I have the Unarmed Fighting Combat Style, so hopefully that'll suffice when in close-quarters. I'm assuming the damage dice will also increase, but will change that if you rule otherwise.

Ouch, a giant grappler in urban fights and close quarters? That sounds monstrous. Honestly, I think most creatures will just treat you like an ogre after seeing what you can do in the first one or two rounds of combat.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

Just a note, my apologies for not transitioning Irata towards conversation with the rest of the group? Feels anti-social to keep her going 1 vs 1 with Ithilien - I've just been enjoying the scene, and wasn't seeing an easy transition until I had her get the mask.

I wouldn't worry about it. While it is important to see how players roleplay together, I also wanted a chance to personally interact with the applicants as well, just to understand how I might work with them. You just focused on the latter than the former. You still have 1 week to interact with the other players. Have fun.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, MidnightPoet said:

I wouldn't worry about it. While it is important to see how players roleplay together, I also wanted a chance to personally interact with the applicants as well, just to understand how I might work with them. You just focused on the latter than the former. You still have 1 week to interact with the other players. Have fun.

I worry about everything! But glad you're okay with it. :) Now I just need to try and work out what comes next, so I know where to go after your next post. I started the scene solo, so I've been acting like Irata came in at her own time, but now people are acting like she came in when everyone else was in the store, and just had that conversation while ignoring everyone else?

Heh. It is funny to think that the prospect of someone being nice to her made Irata not notice everyone else in the room. ^^ But I'll think it over. There'll be some way to square this circle and link up the conversations a bit more naturally.

As Irata is suggesting to test the place for traces of magic, I just imagined everybody in the shop beginning to run in every direction to flee the scene like if somebody was about to throw a flask of oil in a bonfire (including the shop keeper) lolll

Just dropping by to say that this game sounds great. I'd never heard of Grim Hollow and it looks so far up my alley. Not going to apply at the eleventh hour because you've got several strong party members already but have fun!

13 minutes ago, Gnaws said:

Just dropping by to say that this game sounds great. I'd never heard of Grim Hollow and it looks so far up my alley. Not going to apply at the eleventh hour because you've got several strong party members already but have fun!

I can recommend the books, they have some really interesting lore and story, as well as cool crunch.

@MidnightPoet

So I was eyeing the Languages info and had a couple of questions:

1. For mechanical/ Language Choice purposes, are Celestial/Sylvan/Infernal/etc. still distinct or just one "Exotic Languages" choice? Because it does talk about 'this language', not 'these languages'.

2. You say no half-Feats, but could I do something like Linguist if I forwent the Int buff?

3. What's the deal for hp- max at 1st level and average for other two, or roll for it?

Edited by RillaTaj (see edit history)

7 hours ago, RillaTaj said:

@MidnightPoet

1. For mechanical/ Language Choice purposes, are Celestial/Sylvan/Infernal/etc. still distinct or just one "Exotic Languages" choice? Because it does talk about 'this language', not 'these languages'.

2. You say no half-Feats, but could I do something like Linguist if I forwent the Int buff?

3. What's the deal for hp- max at 1st level and average for other two, or roll for it?

1. Oops. That was a grammatical mistake. They are all distinct languages, although some would share an alphabet and you'd have advantage deciphering the meaning of one if you knew a related language.

2. Yes, I'm willing to let you take the benefit if you waive the ability increase.

3. You can choose to take the average or roll, whichever you prefer more.