Chapter 1: The Whispering Cairn

bwatford

image.jpeg.30077a7bb406753e072efacee7dc0b72.jpeg

Age of Worms Chapter 1: The Whispering Cairn

image.jpeg.968aa4c4034122ebd653d21bff691eaa.jpeg

OLD MINE SHACK

A modest dwelling squats upon the crown of a small hill. While the rough stone walls of the first floor look mostly intact, the second floor has complete/y collapsed. A half height wall rings the house, but it too is in a state of severe disrepair. Rubble and dense weeds choke the yard.

Made of smooth stone blocks, this building stands in shambles. Thick vines creep up the side and most of the windows are broken. The front door hangs open, barely on its hinges, under a sagging and partially collapsed porch.

As you move toward the old mine office, you look around at your new companions and think about how you got here...

The small mining town of Diamond Lake had been buzzing with gossip for the past week. A trio of impressive looking adventurers had just arrived from the Free City and had spent the better part of the week drinking heavily at The Feral Dog and boasting of their plans to explore the Stirgenest Cairn. Now everyone knew the Stirgenest Cairn had been raided so many times that it was hard to even get a charcoal rubbing off of the worn reliefs within. Nevertheless, all the talk of exploration had the entire town yearning for the good old days when the artifact business was booming and the town prospered, long before the last cairn dried up decades ago and coughed up the last of the riches the hills had to offer, and now these gearforged metal men have come and started taking the jobs of hard working miners that were barely getting by in the first place. If you could even call it that.

Around this same time, the town's resident artificer and Diamond Lake native made an exciting discovery. Recalling the thrilling dares of his youth, Allustan Neff had been searching for the location of a cairn that had become little more than a ghost story told among the town's children. The retired adventurer and armchair archaeologist had procured a map of an abandoned iron mine about a couple hour's walk from the town square. The mine dried up some fifty years ago in the heart of the war and its charter lapsed when the mine's manager died a few years later. What made this map so interesting was that it showed the location of a cairn that is absent from all the current cairn maps floating about town. It was precisely the cairn that Allustan had been looking for: The Whispering Cairn, so named for the haunting, almost magical tones that emerged from its depths when the wind was just right.

As you enter the dilapidated structure small mounds of debris litter the floor of the building's interior. Loose stones, dead weeds, and grime cover virtually every surface. Paintings must have once adorned the place as indicated by the particular stain patterns marring the walls. The only light comes from thin shafts sneaking in from outside illuminating clouds of dust dancing through the stale air.

Since Allustan considered himself too old to go exploring (even though he was only in his 40s), he had entrusted the old iron mine map to his apprentice, Allera Lorabelis. The young alchemist and diviner had quietly gathered a small team to investigate the tomb and report back to Allustan. Given the current fervor over the Stirginest Cairn, Allustan advises the utmost caution and discretion lest some copycat explorers or, worse yet, the adventuring trio from the Free City, catch wind and pursue this cairn instead. The map showed that the entrance to the cairn was a mere half-hour walk from the old mine's office. Allera's mentor had suggested that the party use it as their base of operations while investigating the tomb to avoid raising suspicions by returning to town. Leaving Diamond Lake a couple hours earlier, just after lunch time was over and the changeover of the eveniing mine shifts, your group had set out along the road headed North towards the Free City. After clearing the town and the outlying farms, you had come upon the nearly-overgrown trail leading to the old mine office.

... and now here you were.....

Though the place is a mess, you decide that staying here would be marginally better than sleeping outside. You begin dropping off any non-essentials from your packs to lighten your load before unfolding the map onto a dusty nearby table. It was about a half hour to the mine entrance according to the map. You look around at your other companions, some you knew and others you didn't. You weren't exactly sure why the others were picked to be part of this, but the fact that you were all here was what was important.

You looked around waiting for others to introduce themselves now that you were freer to talk about the mission at hand without wandering ears.

Abandoned Mine Office #637
Cairn Hills (An hour out of Diamond Lake)
4:35 pm, Moonday the 9th of Reaping, 595 CY

Scene Information: Please introduce your character to the others, why you were chosen for this mission by Allustan or his apprentice Allera Lorabelis. Also mention if your character wants to head for the mine this evening or wait until morning. Basically, this is a chance for the group to interact prior to diving into the mine.

Please note on your sheets any equipment you are leaving behind in the mine office (if any).

Show Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION SCORES

Alatia 18 | Riffraff 15 | Armando 13 | Sunny 12 | Thodin 12 | Allera 11

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

ALATIA CARNWHEAT

Hit Points: 10/10
Hit Dice: 1/1
Warding Flare: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots: (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1
Experience Points: 0/300

ALLERA LORABELIS

Hit Points: 8/8
Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots: (+6, DC 14) *L

ARMANDO RAILWALKER

Hit Points: 9/9 (gnome cunning)
Pact Magic: (+4, DC 12) *L

• 1st Level: 1/1

RIFFRAFF

Hit Points: 9/9

SUNNY

Hit Points: 15/15
Rage: 2/2 *L

THODIN EVERSHARP

Hit Points: 13/13 (RESIST: poison SAVADV: poisoned)
Divine Sense: 3/3 *L
Lay on Hands: 5/5 *L

PC

Allera Lorabelis   Half-elf Wizard 1 Allera Lorabelis

AC: 15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 
Spell Slots: 1st 5/5 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 0/0

It took Allera a full long minute to get her bearings after her master declared she was about to do some field work (it could as well involve literal plowing fields, for all she knew). But she managed. Without a hint of irritation, she nodded in the admission of understanding her task and left to contemplate the means to deliver. That was no small feat: a "reliable adventurer" is almost an oxymoron on its own, but she personally did not know even an unreliable one. Or did she?

Allera took a deep breath and thought again. That conversation the other day... The young priestess was asking exactly for something like this, didn't she? And if she was so eager, then surely by now she could find others no less interested...

All Allera had to do now was to find Alatia. She imagined the conversation to be simple enough, something about "dream coming true" or "adventure finding her". The rest depended on how truly eager Alatia was for some digging of the old mines and how many people she managed to recruit to her cause already. Turned out, there were quite a few.

Now, the young wizard was looking at her new and sudden companions, doing her best not to show curiosity too obviously.

"Good day," Allera smiled politely at the eclectic group in front of her. The young woman was wearing a very practical travelling outfit (with only a hint of usual elegance), her hair braided and face devoid of usual makeup. "I am Allera, an apprentice to the man who hired you all, Master Allustan Neff. The cairn we are looking for is not far from here, and yet it is new and Master Allustan would not want anyone else to follow us. We can get straight to the cairn but maybe some planning is in order first? And setting in in this ... old office?"

She let the question hang before admitting she was not the most experienced adventurer or even a miner here.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)

PC

Thodin Eversharp Dwarven Paladin 1Thodin.png.94f4c89b43ed50684ae363f0c135b859.png

AC: 18 (chain mail and shield) | HP: 13/13 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 12 
Lay on Hands: 5/5 | Divine Sense: 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Thodin's prayers were answered when he was approached to join the exploration of the Whispering Cairn. He could not be more excited, which did not show too much from behind his full beard. He knew most of the crew except one and this abandoned mine office.

"Thank you Allera for leading us here." The dwarf replies to the wizard's apprentice with a friendly smile. He is built like a granite boulder, taller and broader of shoulder than his kin. His hair and well-groomed full beard are fiery orange matching the twinkle his pale gray eyes. He wears a miner's helmet clearly signaling his profession and easily shoulders a laden rucksack with even more gear strapped on the outside: shield, bedroll, waterskin, rope, shovel, pick, and a caged canary. His clothes are simple and utilitarian, except for a necklace with an amulet of a ruby embedded within a rock in the shape of a mountain. A weapons' belt around his chain mail secures a warhammer and handaxe.

To leave room for his new companions within the old miner's office, the dwarf shrugs out of his heavy rucksack and carefully sets it down in a corner and introduces himself with a chuckle and smile. "I'm Thodin Eversharp. Know most of you from around town. Been minin' my whole life here in Diamond Lake, so I can lead us down the hole."

"After we introduce ourselves, would appreciate Allera if you would show what your master discovered, so we can get our bearings. There's a map?" In turn, he looks at everyone in their eyes with a smile.

Mechanics

Off Hand: Shield

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Riffraff

Ratfolk, Scoundrel - Rogue 1image.png.5ef1191979de0d01f9f98f3d1d0feefe.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Init: +3 | PP: 15

Sneak Attack: 1d6 | DM Inspiration: 0

Riffraff had grinned quietly when he'd received the note from Allustan. Here was his chance to make a decent profit and have a little fun at the same time. He loved his "family", but things just weren't the same without the Professor...time for a change perhaps?

Meeting up with his companions for the journey he raised an eyebrow. It was quite an eclectic group, not the average bunch of Diamond Lake residents. He recognised the gnome Armando, always looking to earn a copper. and then there was Sunny...Riffraff was sure that she was hiding. I mean, what kind of name was Sunny?! Mind you, he'd heard she had a deep purse - always spending at the Feral Dog. He'd even thought about dipping into it himself, but she was tight with the Sheriff so he'd decided to give that the swerve!

Alatia he remembered from that night at the tavern when she had only just arrived, he wondered if she was as uptight as he'd first thought? But the dwarven miner and Allustan's half-elven apprentice...well, they must be real goody-two-shoes, cos they clearly knew their way around Diamond Lake, but to the best of his knowledge they'd never been to the Emporium.

Arriving at their temporary home, the Rat-boy dropped his bedroll and backpack, then turned to listen as the group began to introduce themselves. When his turn came, he pulled back his hood, twitched his snout and smoothed his whiskers, giving a cheeky wink and a bow. "Well met Allera, Thodin" he said as he nodded to each of them. "I am Riffraff, long-term resident of our wonderful town and...well...I guess Allustan hired me to be... I suppose a kinda locksmith and trapfinder." he explained, giving a wide, toothy grin and a dirty laugh.

Mechanics

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

Sunny Suel Barbarian 1image.png.79a14e4028f6c8fa7eae9968324330f6.png

16.14.16.8.10.10 | init +2 | AC 15 | HP 15/15 | HD 1

Animal Handling +2, Athletics +5, Intimidation +2, Perception +2, Performance +2

Rage: OO

It was supposed to be Knuckston.

The self-proclaimed 'Sage of Diamond Lake' always passing out those little pamphlets to newcomers? He was Allustan's first choice. After all, few had such an investment and pride in local lore than the plucky young miner.

It didn't help that ever since the trailblazing triad stormed through, legends of past cairn raids were recited every other round...with the boasting and BS ramping up faster than Sunny was knocking them back. "...those juicy little treasure mounds, Sunny..." as Snarlsnoot the Elder described to an enraptured and half-conscious listener "...fruit of the hills, they were! Gold by the fistful, left behind...a gift from the ancients!"

There were claims that a single cairn raid led to the ascension of King Battlewhisker III. There were claims expert cairn raiders could stare down a ghost, and swipe their supernatural belt-buckles at the same time. That popular tavern song you'd heard a million times? Few knew that was actually about a cairn raid...the sequence of notes a mnemonic to remember the sequence of steps in a particularly nasty trap room.

The Elixir of Life, Fountain of Youth, Philosopher's Stone, conclusive evidence of the final burial place of the famous gangster Dixon Doubleduece, all were waiting in some unplundered cairn, of course. Every dwarf knew it.

Sunny had gobbled it all up.

So when Knuckston had died and the strongest clan dwarf full of pride and vengeance stepped up ready to take his place, the blonde had knelt down and punched him in the face...grabbing her fanciest travel wine and heading for the hills. She would be Knuckston's replacement.

~~~

Sunny was a strange hiking companion. Her stride was strong but somehow unsteady, switching between mumbling to herself "...stars are talking and they are listening, growing and controlling..."; inane chit-chat like the latest joke, "Why did the tomato turn red? Because it saw the salad dressing!"; or about some affair or other housewife dish she heard about "...yep, turns out it was her way of getting back after Smithers offered up that brass ring. Brass. Haha."

When she ran out of something to say, she started singing...real raunchy dwarf songs like that one about the 'splorching' orc.

When introductions were going around she slapped someone on the back "Heyo! It's me! Sunny! Everyone's favorite girl...right? Just kidding." sort of chuckling awkwardly as she tore open a fresh loaf of bread and promptly inserted a thick hunk of sharp cheddar. She took a squat on the old stone steps to really savor the lunch, flitting to another subject just as quickly and commenting "Mmpf...you know I don't really like the looks of all these brambles and weeds around here...little snake or weasel nest in there I bet," poking about with her boot as she ate, crushing them with quick stompy stomps.

When Allera spoke up "Aha! The Cairn! I say we get right to it!"

At Thodin's map excitement, Sunny did not understand at all. However, she pretended she did touching her finger to her nose "Dwarf's got the right idea, the map will answer everything!"

Riffraff soon spilled the beans on his expertise, and the Suel took a serious look, approaching him slowly with furrowed brows "In the interest of a fair share later I hereby present you this universal symbol of peace." offering up a little post-hike cheese snack while badly imitating a courtier's step and cadence with a smile. She was obviously joking and just being friendly.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

PC

Alatia Carnwheat Human Cleric 1 b7f305c560c4add2995ae335bd1cbd2f.jpg

AC: 15 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 18 
Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Warding Flare: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Alatia had nearly given up on Diamond Lake. Though she had enjoyed getting to know the hard working folk of the town, it wasn't what she had set out to do. She needed.. and there was no other word she could think of to describe the sense of what she needed. She needed an adventure. A journey of courage and excitement. To put her faith and life to use. To prove her worth. It was that, or that she was nearly out of coin. An adventure would solve all of that right?

So yes was Alatia's answer. There was no hesitation in accepting Allera's offer to join the group. She would bring her shield, her healing faith, and Pelor's light to wherever this path took her.

~

The female priestess places her mace and shield against a wall and greets everyone warmly. "I am Alatia Carnwheat. I am.. this is so.. Wooh! This will be great." And then, almost forgetting, she adds, "Pelor's light will shine on us all." As if with perfect timing her mace gleams a little. The kind of shine that you only get on something that has never been used.

Hearing Thodin's comment regarding a map, she drops the rest of her pack right in the middle of the floor and approaches. "Ooh. Let us all see this map?" Her bag then falls over with a noisy clunk behind her.

Mechanics

Edited by FireHound (see edit history)

Age of Worms Chapter 1: The Whispering Cairn

Rolling the map out across the makeshift table, she wasn't much to look at. One could see Diamond Lake on it clearly and a line drawn from that point to a spot on the map marked 'office'. Obviously where they were now. Another line from that point went directly east to a point on the map about a half hour away that was marked 'The Whispering Cairn'.

The map was most unimaginative, basically a quick sketch drawing, nothing more, just giving them directions to their destination. So much for a detailed map of where they were going.

Abandoned Mine Office #637
Cairn Hills (An hour out of Diamond Lake)
4:40 pm, Moonday the 9th of Reaping, 595 CY

Scene Information: Once we have decided to head out now or wait until the morning, please provide me with a standard marching order which will account for any movement when there is not a map.

Show Active Maps

Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

ALATIA CARNWHEAT

ALLERA LORABELIS

ARMANDO RAILWALKER

RIFFRAFF

SUNNY

THODIN EVERSHARP

PC

Thodin Eversharp Dwarven Paladin 1Thodin.png.94f4c89b43ed50684ae363f0c135b859.png

AC: 18 (chain mail and shield) | HP: 13/13 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 12 

Thodin nods to each of new companions when they introduce themselves. "Riffraff, Sunny, Alatia, Armando." He knew Armando best from his penance serving his mine and Riffraff and Sunny by name from around town.

After looking at Allera's map, the dwarf offers, "I've seen more detailed maps before. So, here we are at the office. Here is the Whispering Cairn about half hour walk due east."

"Any of you need to do anything before we go? I'm bringing my whole kit, in case we need to rest down there. But, I'm probably more comfortable in tunnels than you are." He looks around for consensus.

Mechanics

PC

Allera Lorabelis   Half-elf Wizard 1 Allera Lorabelis

AC: 15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 
Spell Slots: 1st 5/5 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 0/0

"Definitely more than I," Allera said almost instinctively. As true as it was under normal circumstances she would not rush to admit such a thing.

She looked around at the rubble and debris covering the "floor" in the ex-office and added. "My mentor does not really know what we can expect in the cairn but... would it matter much if we stay there or here? We have what we need and have enough of daylight to get to the entrance. We can as well get there and look around?"

Mechanics

Sunny Suel Barbarian 1image.png.79a14e4028f6c8fa7eae9968324330f6.png

16.14.16.8.10.10 | init +2 | AC 15 | HP 15/15 | HD 1

Animal Handling +2, Athletics +5, Intimidation +2, Perception +2, Performance +2

Rage: OO

"...wait." Sunny gave the map a sideways look before rotating it about 270 degrees. "Haha, check it out...looks like a horse. See it? There's the galloping hooves, the saddle...nevermind. Yeah my vote is we head on out...I'm just going to take a quick peek inside." Sunny did a quick sweep the way she had been trained as a soldier, turning the place inside out...kicking things around with a bright torch in hand.

ooc: DM, anything interesting in the abandoned office Sunny could use as a weapon, like an old chair, file cabinet or broken axe-shaft?

Name
Investigation
1d20-1 8

PC

Alatia Carnwheat Human Cleric 1 b7f305c560c4add2995ae335bd1cbd2f.jpg

AC: 15 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 18 
Spell Slots: 1st 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Warding Flare: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Alatia replies to Allera with excitement still in her voice, "Good with me." The priestess then gathers up her backpack, mace and shield and steps outside of the 'office'. After a long look at the sky she then takes a couple of strides in the direction of the whispering cairn. "Let's go!"

Mechanics

Edited by FireHound (see edit history)

Armando Railwalker Gnomish Warlockimage.png.3addf472ab702bf61916a9a2a03fa8d7.png

AC: 13 (leathers) | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11
Spell Slots: 1st 1/1 | Spell Attack: +4 | Spell DC: 12
DM Inspiration: 0/1

It had been an eventful day, Armando mused. It had started with a trip to the Monastery early on in the morning looking for work and had ended with him standing in the corner of a rundown mining office on the edge of the town. The interconnected parts in-between those two bookends had been a blurry and confusing knot to say the least.

The Monastery had not had work for him and the man with his wage purse had already left for town to seek him out. The gnome had thought to find him at one of the taverns but instead had found some associates that owed him a drink or three. The mugs went down easy and Armando learned a lot about what folks had been talking about recently. He wasn't so good with keeping up with current events, but news of a few dust-stirring treasure hunters were the kinds of stories that always got his attention. According to Brutus, they were hanging out at a different tavern and Armando wanted a glimpse he better get over there quick. Between mid-morning ale and the thought of catching on with a new crew were enough for the gnome to forget he'd come back into Diamond Lake to look for the man carrying a wage purse with his name on it.

The gnome made a brief stint at the stables, hoping to catch an eye on any wagons or sleds that might be from the new comers. It would be a lot easier to be found on the road toward the next score than it would be catching their permissions face to face. But alas, Armando found nothing that suggested they belonged to the treasure hunters. He would have to go about asking for permissions.

Once at the tavern, the crowd was unusually raucous. One of the mines had closed up early for the day and everyone was stuffed in like caught fish in a net. Armando saw the pretty woman that had no business being here amongst the rest of the mud-swallowers and knew at once that she must be one of the treasure hunters he'd heard about. He knew a thing or two about latching on to folks. He grabbed his things and began to tail her. Soon, her and a few others were out the door and headed for Diamond Lake's boundary line.

~*~*~

Armando enjoyed the walking. It didn't enjoy him back too much, as his legs were cramped and his back didn't like the added weight of his sack, but he tried not to whine about it. He knew better than to make even a single noise. It took almost ten minutes into the trip before Armando realized he knew the dwarf and ratkin and that there was only one or maybe two in the group that looked to be strange treasure hunters. Certainly the pretty lady, but the rest looked just like Diamond Lake stock. Then his leg started acting up -he'd only had two mugs of ale today to eat and his body wasn't happy with the added exercise- and his lost the focus to think about the who's and why's of what he was doing.

The inside of the rundown building was a gift sent by the Almighty. Even before he was inside, the lady started in on expectations and so he knew he was part of the crew. He tossed his little sack on the ground and found a seat on some fallen debris. The name Allustan sounded familiar, but again, Armando wasn't good with names most of the time. But he tucked it away in case he needed to use it later on. It sounded like maybe all the pieces of this little crew weren't put together by those in the room and he could use that to his advantage. This was already sounding like a decent enough little way to earn some coin.

The gnome rubbed at his cramping calves, which hid beneath a layer of multi-colored rags sewn together into what could be loosely called pants. Patches of various material overlapped and in some places the thread had come undone and folded over to make a second or third layer. Time had not been kind to his clothing. His sack looked to be of similar make, a series of long strips of material pieced together enough to create a few pockets with one large middle pouch. Dangling from his sack and now unceremoniously lying beneath it was a makeshift crossbow he'd been clever enough to bring with him.

While the others were looking at the map, Armando checked his cloth cap, pulling it down off his head and inspecting it for an answer to some unknown question. He confided in the hat for a moment before returning his focus to the group's idle chatter about heading to the location tonight.

"I'sa ready to go too." He said, a real lack of confidence in his voice. "'less you need someone to keep'sa eye on this place."

Mechanics

Riffraff

Ratfolk, Scoundrel - Rogue 1image.png.5ef1191979de0d01f9f98f3d1d0feefe.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Init: +3 | PP: 15

Sneak Attack: 1d6 | DM Inspiration: 0

Riffraff gave his most toothy grin and bowed low as Sunny offered him some cheese, recognising the humour in the situation and playing up his heritage just for the giggles 'Ooooh, cracking cheese...SQUEEEEEEK!!!" he exclaimed before collapsing in a fit of giggles.

Drying his eyes, he hunkered round as the group pored over the "map". "Hmmm, not much information here...I think you're probably right. We should set off and take a look at the place. We can always head back here if it gets a bit too much for anyone!" he commented, pulling his best scared face, trembling and pretending to swoon.

Mechanics

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

Chapter 1: The Whispering Cairn Part One: A Face in Darkness

image.png.baf7f1e20718a0120a8e3f4b393906b9.png

PART ONE: A FACE IN DARKNESS

The hours hike from the old mine office to the location marked on the map went uneventful but the hike was rough. The Cairn Hills offered often difficult terrain through heavy brush and steep inclines and that seemed to be even more abundant in this area.

Once they finally reached the area marked on the mouth which lay at the base of a large hill, they saw no sign of anything interesting at first, but Alatia quickly pointed out that something lay near the hill face behind brush and assorted debris, so for the next ten minutes the group spent clearing the brush and debris. It was not a welcomed job after such a strenuous hike. 

There they uncovered the yawning entrance to the Whispering Cairn, a wide monolith-lined portal, a moment later everyone was trying to peer inside the quickly darkening tunnel.

Coward's Rest

Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. 

A fine layer of dust coats the hall’s first 60 feet.

spacer.png

The Whispering Cairn
Cairn Hills (About two hours outside of Diamond Lake)
5:57 pm, Moonday the 9th of Reaping, 595 CY

Skill Checks: If you are proficient in Survival you may attempt a survival, check here. (DC 13). Don't read the spoiler unless you make the check, please.

DC 13 Survival Check (if proficient)

You notice that several wolves have crossed the dusty hallway numerous times in the recent past.

You may also attempt an Investigation check here to examine the horizontal bands/geometric patterns carved into the walls. (DC 9)

DC 9 Investigation Check

A DC 9 Investigation check by any character examining the patterned bands upon the walls reveals thin hollow tubes hidden within the patternwork. The strange whispers filling the hall seem to emit from these holes.

Scene Information: The tunnel ahead is dark, we are going to need light sources started for those who can't see in the dark, please include that with your next post.

We are on a map (see Active Map spoiler) please use directions (N,S,E,W,NE,SE, etc) when moving. (i.e. I move 2 squares N and 4 E).

Show Active Maps

WHISPERING CAIRN

spacer.png

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

ALATIA CARNWHEAT

ALLERA LORABELIS

ARMANDO RAILWALKER

RIFFRAFF

SUNNY

THODIN EVERSHARP

PC

Thodin managed the difficult terrain better than most. He was in good shape but did not have much practice over such rough terrain. He was quick to offer his shovel to one of new companions, while he hacked at the brush with his handaxe.

After they were finished, he lashed his shovel to his pack, while looking down the tunnel. It was unlike anything that he had seen before: twenty foot wide, decorated with monoliths and geometric patterns. It was no mine. What confidence that he had being underground slowly evaporated. "This is no mine. What purpose do you think it had?" He offers and asks to no one in particular.

After shouldering his pack, he readies his shield and examines the first patterned bands upon the walls. "Look, thin hollow tubes hidden within the patternwork. The strange whispers in this hall seem to come from them. Guess that's why they call it the Whispering Cairn."

Mechanics

Off Hand: Shield

Name
Investigation
1d20-1 18