The Society Debut (IC)

MidnightPoet

image.png.e3915c430d629b912b00f2923bf2a2d7.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

• AC 11 • HP 19 • Init +4 • Passive Perception 13 • Devil's Sight 120' • Phantom Familiar

Zorjana was a bit shocked by everyone's statements regarding their first impressions of the request this Society member is making of them. This Ringmaster seems mad at best or delusional at worst to gather such a group of strangers to take on this mission. Still, this notion of "curses" seems to be something all these strangers can subscribe to even if she is skeptical of the whole thing. While it can be believed she is unsure she is actually under some family "curse".

She contemplated what others said and began to paint a better picture in her mind of the strangers she is to be joined with. While unsure of their capabilities it would seem the Ringmaster is, and so if Zorjana needed something to believe in then she would need to have faith in the wisdom of the Ringmaster and this Society. "I suppose ... if I must ... then I will aid you all ... and this Society." She does not sound convinced, but she gave her word and would not dare break it. It would dishonor her too much to do so, and all she has left now is her honor.

OoC

OoC: Impressions so far: Irata likes to make jokes, Zefelle is quietly dangerous, Calder is overtly powerful, and Sparrow is hopefully curious.

image.png.7116b3b6cb889ef9800a0f65e7374ecd.pngimage.png.6b5a14b8a7349eb4e3079d25dcf7f43b.png

Phantom Familiar

image.png.5b84c976506de9649458dc9b26c4aeb3.pngAntonas Dragan Teodozja [Phantom Familiar | medium undead]
• STR 1 (-5) DEX 14 (+2) CON 11 (+0) INT 10 (+0) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 11 (+0)

• AC 12 • HP 22 • Passive Perception 10 • Darkvision 60' • Fly 50'
• Damage Resistance: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, and bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magic attacks
• Damage Immunity: necrotic, poison
• Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious  

• Incorporeal Movement: can move through creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain; specter takes 1d10 (5) force damage if ends turn inside an object.
• Sunlight Sensitivity: in sunlight specter has disadvantage on attacks and perception checks (sight).

• AVAILABLE @3rd Life Drain Attack (Action): melee spell attack +4, range 5' (1 target), 3d6 necrotic damage DC 10 Con save or target's Max HP reduced by damage taken (last until long rest). Target dies if effect reduces target's HP to Zero.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Morning | The Red Masque Atelier | Lower Midtown, Altenheim

Weather: Heavy Fog

On 3/2/2024 at 3:15 AM, rauhric said:

image.png.e3915c430d629b912b00f2923bf2a2d7.pngZorjana Teodozja LN Human Noble, "Haunted" Sorceress | "Hexblade" Warlock

• AC 11 • HP 19 • Init +4 • Passive Perception 13 • Devil's Sight 120' • Phantom Familiar

Regaining her focus in the conversation she asks, "So we go to the camp and ask questions... then what? Are we qualified to do something about this?" She was not sure as to exactly what she could do to help those refugees or the missing people. "Will the Society be providing some sort of ... I don't know ... Muscle to engage in dangerous scenarios?"

OoC

OoC: To my fellow players, my character is not really aware of her potential at this time. So she is at the "newbie" stage of the "origin story". So I understand that she is a PC with great power, but she doesn't know that. So I am not trying to be difficult by playing stupid or naïve.

image.png.7116b3b6cb889ef9800a0f65e7374ecd.pngimage.png.6b5a14b8a7349eb4e3079d25dcf7f43b.png

image.png.f27b789fe0d1e618273142c58d30e115.png"Ithilien will be assisting you if you find yourself overwhelmed." The Ringmaster replies to the group's worries, "However, your priority should be doing a preliminary investigation as to the degree of the danger and the type of monster stalking the villagers. We are training you to properly investigate the causes of curses and monsters so you can learn to fight the monsters on prepared ground."

"You are correct in assuming this is more than monsters eating villagers." He answered Irata's question about the villagers. "Such things can be handled by ordinary adventurers. There are... worrying rumors about the surviving villagers and the refugees. Something may have followed the villagers here. At any rate, the Rivens present an unknown threat, which must be handled with silk or with steel as you deem best."

His eyes had a sharp glint as he turned to Calder and specifically warned him, "Be ready for combat, but you are strongly advised not to directly engage the monsters in their lair until you first report your findings and develop a strategy."

The Ringmaster's tone warmed slightly as he turned his attention back to Zorjana, "This training will also help you investigate and potentially identify the causes and inner workings of your own curses as well. Even if you can't reverse it, the training will help you understand and mitigate the inherent dangers and drawbacks of your delicate condition."

With those words, the candlewick has burned down to a sliver of its original length as it sputters fitfully in the candelabrum. The white fog surrounding you meanwhile, is crawling closer to the table. The white tendrils brush against your backs as it eagerly readies itself to swallow you once again.

"You should return home and prepare for the task ahead. Ithilien will meet with you tonight to discuss details and plan for your investigations."

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.pngThe shadowy man outlining their precise task is enough to reassure Irata. They aren't expected to uproot whatever monster is menacing the Rivens. They're just here to work out the puzzle, at least for now. That's something she can handle. Some interviews, some research, perhaps a scene to inspect. There's even the possibility of more knowledge of her own curse on the horizon. As the candle starts to sputter away, the Inquisitor makes the Empyrean salute one final time before bowing her head to this new ally.

"Thank you, Ringmaster. It's an honour to meet you. May we all prove worthy of the Society's trust"

Once they've been taken from the Ringmaster's little assembly point, Irata glances around her new allies. They've got some time until the meeting with Ithilien. The day's pretty much just begun. So, a little hesitantly, she coughs: trying to get the group's attention. "I... don't suppose any of you could use some company?"

Morael's tears, did she phrase that right? The words are only just out of her mouth before Irata's second guessing them. Rather than let the statement hang on the air, she plougs forward to try and clarify. "We've all got stuff to prepare, I'm sure. But... well, we're working together now. Part of that preparation is learning about each other. Learning to trust each other." The acolyte chuckles, finally finding a little genuine humour to her voice. "And I suspect I'm the least trustworthy one here. I'm a professional investigator, and most of you value your privacy."

Sparrow had his condition to conceal. Jackal's highborn. Zefelle... she could guess. The only one she was pretty sure hid nothing was Ivarson. And even the giant may well have somethings he'd rather keep to himself. He's big, enthusiastic, but his command of the tongue makes it pretty plain he's no fool. Irata waves her hand across the group. "So... open invitation. If you've got questions, I'll answer them. If you want to come back to my lodgings, see where I hang my hat, that's fine too. I've nothing to hide."

Zorjana had too many questions to ponder first before voicing them in public, but she did ask, "Is Ithilien to be our point of contact with you and the Society? Are we to return to this establishment to deliver and receive new messages from you or the Society? And I'm sure this goes without saying, but our "membership" into your organization is secret, right? No need for us to discuss it with anyone outside present company."

OoC

OoC: Impressions so far: Irata likes to make jokes, Zefelle is quietly dangerous, Calder is overtly powerful, and Sparrow is hopefully curious.

Phantom Familiar

image.png.5b84c976506de9649458dc9b26c4aeb3.pngAntonas Dragan Teodozja [Phantom Familiar | medium undead]
• STR 1 (-5) DEX 14 (+2) CON 11 (+0) INT 10 (+0) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 11 (+0)

• AC 12 • HP 22 • Passive Perception 10 • Darkvision 60' • Fly 50'
• Damage Resistance: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, and bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magic attacks
• Damage Immunity: necrotic, poison
• Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious  

• Incorporeal Movement: can move through creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain; specter takes 1d10 (5) force damage if ends turn inside an object.
• Sunlight Sensitivity: in sunlight specter has disadvantage on attacks and perception checks (sight).

• AVAILABLE @3rd Life Drain Attack (Action): melee spell attack +4, range 5' (1 target), 3d6 necrotic damage DC 10 Con save or target's Max HP reduced by damage taken (last until long rest). Target dies if effect reduces target's HP to Zero.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Sparrow (Wood Elf Specter, Soulknife Rogue 3) sheet songspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Sparrow slips away into the fog. As he disappears, the others hear him say,

"I'll see you all tonight then."

And then he is gone. He goes back home and gathers all of his things, which isn't much. He describes the events to Alrik, Boddard and Gattas in general terms, leaving out any locations, individuals or details about the organization. They know not to pry for details. They wish him well and tell him to be careful. He says goodbye to each of them individually but doesn't say anything to anyone else on the block, not wanting to draw too many extra questions.

He returns to the store at the designated time, ready to start the journey, again donning his mask but unsure if he is supposed to.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

token_1.png.a6f49fd7e2801849b51644c4d0ddf546.pngZefelle Copperspark, True neutral Lightfoot Halfling Druid 3

(Current HP: 27/ 27) | AC: 14 (16 shield equiped) | Spell Slots: 4 /2

StrSave -1
Athletics -1
9 (-1) | DexSave +2
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2
14 (+2) | ConSave +3
No skills associated.
16 (+3) | IntSave +4
Arcana +2 | History +2 | Investigation +2 | Nature +4 | Religion +2
14 (+2) | WisSave +6
Animal Handling +4 | Insight +6 | Medicine +4 | Perception +6 | Survival +4
18 (+4) | ChaSave +0
Deception +0 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0
10 (+0)

Prepared spellsCantrip: Chill touch, Poison spray, Shillelagh

Lv1: Entangle, Detect magic, Fairy fire, Speak with animals

Lv2: Blindness/Deafness, Gentle Repose, Summon beast, Spike growth, Moon beam

Passive perception: 16 | Passive insight: 16

Zefelle observed Irata's interaction with the others, her thoughts drifting momentarily to her own reservations about forming bonds with the group. Despite the camaraderie being offered, she couldn't shake the sense of wariness that lingered within her. Trust was a luxury she rarely afforded, especially in situations as precarious as this.

Her gaze flickered between the members of the group, each with their own secrets and burdens to bear. Irata's offer for companionship was met with a slight raise of Zefelle's eyebrow, a silent acknowledgment of the gesture. While she appreciated the sentiment, she wasn't one to readily open up to strangers, especially when there were ulterior motives lurking beneath the surface.

"I appreciate the offer, Irata," Zefelle replied, her tone measured and composed. "But I've got my own preparations to attend to." With a nod of farewell, she turned away from the group, the weight of her own secrets pressing heavily on her mind. For now, she preferred the solitude of her own thoughts, finding solace in the quiet moments of contemplation before the storm that awaited them.

Calder Ivarson (Goliath, Beast Hunter, Giant, Rune Knight Fighter 3) sheet token_1.png.3b5b1028efa8835152c60f74642d647d.png

HP: 36/36 | Hit Dice: 3d10 | AC: 19* | Init: +1 | PP: 13 | PI: 18 | Speed: 30ft | Langs: Valiki, Higher Bürach, Castinellan, Giant
Stone's Endurance: 2/2 | Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Giant Might: 2/2 | Fire Rune: 1/1 | Stone Rune: 1/1

Buffs: None | Debuffs: None | Resistance: None | Inspiration: 1 | Exhaustion: 0

Calder commits the name of the elven woman to memory; he had only spoken with Ithilien briefly, but it seems she is part of the Society, rather than just a cat's paw they used to make introductions. And it seemed they had their first objective: root out any hidden threats within the refugees, while gathering information to start their hunt.

At the talk of handling things with silk or steel, and at the Ringmaster's direct cautioning, Calder raised a placating hand. "Aye, aye, I understand. I can be as canny as I am fierce; I have no intent to start a fight before it need be started."

Then, it appeared as though they were being released to go attend to their own errands, before being contacted tonight. Calder nods, and joins his compatriots as they discuss their next steps amidst the swirling mists.

Irata, it seemed, was eager to start forming stronger bonds between the hunters, though the reception from the others was a little chillier. Calder shrugged, settling his pack and his armor more comfortably on his shoulders, before responding.

"We do not have many Inquisitors in my lands; you might be the first I've ever met. I wouldn't mind sharing information, but only to familiarize myself with this land and it's peoples. You've given me no reason to distrust you. However, I have some preparations to attend to as well; blades to sharpen, armor to inspect. And an appetite to sate, most of all. We could break bread, together? I have doubts I would fit through the door of your lodgings, so perhaps we could eat elsewhere."

Calder gestures at the others, any who are still present.

"Any who wish to come, may come. I fear I would eat all the food a tavern could offer, leaving them with nothing. So, I welcome you all to come eat with my people, travelers from Kandar. But if neutral ground is preferred, I will endeavor to... limit myself to a smaller meal."

IMG_1213.png.b6c5e6c062fef027c2c1d35851261888.pngIrata beams at Calder. She'd been trying to smile at Sparrow and Zefelle as they left. It made sense, building trust requires trust to start with. But still... camaraderie! Someone to actually work with her. And now that hope has been fulfilled. She bows to the giant.

"I'd be honoured to join you. As it happens, you are the first person from Kandar that I've ever met too! The Arcanist Inquisition is primarily located in the south: Castinella, the Cathedral of Ashes. It'd be nice to spend some time with fellow travellers. If you want my notes on Bürach, I'd be happy to share them."

Posted (edited)

Zweitermon 24, Saturday Afternoon| The Red Masque Atelier | Lower Midtown, Altenheim

Weather: Light Fog

"Oh before I send you off, this is a primer on the intricacies of Thaumaturgy." The Ringmaster replies, absent-mindedly, "Included are some useful spells you might find useful. You might have seen a few of these symbols carved around the city."

You have learned Thaumaturgy

thaumaturgy.png.d99bc1e02544aea61bead56bd5b354e1.png

You have learned Thaumaturgy.

Thaumaturgy is an arcane practice closely related to Sangromancy and Runic magic. By using your cursed blood to draw the appropriate pattern along thaumaturgic boards, you can create a variety of spell effects connected to your soul. These can include tracking spells or spells that will augment your abilities while you are nearby.

Thaumaturgy requires a thaumaturgic plate with an engraving in the pattern shown here. You must expend one or more hit die to enchant the plate with a spell. Each plate can only hold one spell and the spell's effects persist for a duration determined by the spell. A Thaumaturgy plate can be crafted on an appropriate surface if you have the corresponding tool proficiency. If the plate is moved, any abilities it confers immediately ends.

Many monsters will make use of Thaumaturgy to augment their lairs and grant themselves special abilities. By finding and studying the thaumaturgic patterns in their lairs, you can learn new abilities to shift the field to your advantage.

Track.png.41927044e05a95fadd89aaed8b9a5c5e.png

You have been learned the Soul Track Rune

By drawing this rune on a thaumaturgic plate, you become aware of all cursed creatures that enter the area. You can detect creatures within a 50 foot radius of the plate and know their precise location. Invisible creatures will still have the benefits of concealment (Creatures have advantage on attacks against you, and you have disadvantage on attacks targeting them), although their locations are revealed.

Casting this Rune requires you to spend 1 hit die and this effect persists for 1 week after your casting.

The candelabrum on the table sputters, and finally burns out as the fog rushes in from your back and swallows you, blanketing the world in a world of white.

As the party makes plans to meet again with Ithilien at the Red Masque in the evening, you are given an opportunity to practice the new skills, rest, and digest the revelations revealed to you. You do not know how much time has passed, but you hear a rising din as the sounds of the city once again reach your ears. The fog thins, revealing the colorful streets and sights of a foggy Altenheim afternoon. Curiously, the fog has teleported you to the next location you desire to go in the city.

Show OOC

I will start the meeting with Ithilien and the initial investigation on Friday.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)