The Beginning

ice9004

As Priela questioned him on the patrol relief, Atma blushed with embarrassment. He didn't want to tell her he got distracted tinkering to get his rifle to function as a light source and had no clue where the others were. Being raised with one foot in vampire society, Atma had never met a vampire anywhere near his age, let alone a dhampir, and so he assumed body language like a scolded child, rubbing the back of his head while shifting on one foot to the other. We...split up! Yes, yes. The others received a call and had to double back to camp. With my skills, they figured I'd be fine rendezvousing with you guys!

As Velvet greeted him, Atma gave her a respectful nod, silently grateful she chimed in, giving him a chance to change the subject. Likewise! Data is going be out of commission for the moment because...well he's in a bit of a mood, but I'm sure he'll be happy to chat with you later! As Priela commented on their Yankee disposition, Atma swallowed a lump in his throat knowing full well that, in that regard, he was as American as one could be. Before he could think up an appropriate response, the cries of the alleged child were his saving grace. Did you hear that?! No time to lose! We've got to check on that child! Atma then began to step in that direction, but not advancing on his own, gesturing with his thumb to try and convince the group to take action. He was a goofball, but even he wasn't going to run into the darkness of these woods with reckless abandon alone. Atma then looked off in no apparent direction as a thought came to mind. Wait a minute, if the patrol left me behind to rendezvous with my current comrades, where are they?

Edited by Ultima (see edit history)

Mihaly had been mostly tuning out the conversation around him, trying to spot where the ambush might come from, when he heard a child crying out for help. He jumped up to his feet immediately.

"Atma is right. We need to..."

Mihaly paused, and continued in a clearly reluctant tone of voice. "No. No, we... we need to investigate, but we need to sneak up on whatever that was slowly and quietly. This... if that was what it sounded like, I don't want it to go on a split second longer than we can help, but... but whatever else it is, it's clearly a trap. We have no choice but to walk into that trap, but... let's try to disarm it rather than springing it."

Edited by wwaugh (see edit history)

HC51HBf.png
 Priela

Priela squints at Atma. A ghost of a grin gives only the murkiest hint to her satisfaction, or perhaps amusement with his discomfort, before she echoes Mihaly's caution.

"Yes, carefully, now. Nighttime bogeymen view us as not too dissimilar from that crying child."

OOC: We'll all investigate the noise.

Priela 

From your roll, you know that while hags are deceptive, they usually don't lay physical traps or ambushes. More often they make deceptive bargains. If this is an trap it probably isn't a hag.

For everyone

How are you approaching? Are you running, moving stealthily, a mix of the two?

OOC: Before he started walking, Mihaly would try to look for any approach he can take other than just walking straight towards the sound, since that's what whoever's setting this probably-ambush would most expect. (How well do we know this area? Were we allowed, or even required, to study a map?)

5 hours ago, wwaugh said:

OOC: Before he started walking, Mihaly would try to look for any approach he can take other than just walking straight towards the sound, since that's what whoever's setting this probably-ambush would most expect. (How well do we know this area? Were we allowed, or even required, to study a map?)

I would say that you were allowed to study a map. Honestly I'm just imagining a generic forest at dusk so any approach that makes sense to you would be fine. You could approach at a curve though it would take you longer to get there.

Mihaly will attempt to catch up with Priela and say "Wait wait, if this is a trap..."

He pauses, then chuckles. "'If' this is a trap, won't they expect us to come from that direction? Maybe we should take a longer route and try to circle around?"

spacer.png
 Priela

Priela nods and replies to Mihaly, We'll do as you suggest," then she gives warning to the others, "Keep pace and remain on guard."

She diverts from the direct way forward to lead the party to the potential danger from an angle that would not be expected by enemies waiting in ambush.

OOC: mb I missed the part where Mihaly was pulling me aside

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)

spacer.png
      Mandy

"All this sneaking..." I whisper. "There might actually be a girl in trouble... or a boy, I suppose."

"We can't take that risk!" I pull out my dual pistols and break into a run toward the scream.

"Come on! Come on!" I look behind to see if others are following.

Edited by Sundust (see edit history)

spacer.png
     Mandy

"Dang, I can't see anything now." I sheathe one pistol and wave my hand. "Let there be light!"

Four floating lights - red, yellow, green, and blue - dance about me in mid-air. "I guess this will slow me down, anyhow."

Edited by Sundust (see edit history)

Atma had been happy to just shadow Priela and Mihaly. It was the most logical tactic, as the odds of a child alone in these woods crying not being a deception were low but as Mandy wanted to rush forward, the young inventor quirked his head as he assessed the situation. What if Mandy is right, and they're risking a child's life? It was a nonzero possibility that there was indeed a child in danger. So Atma walked up to get within earshot of Priel and Mihaly, and quickly whispered his thought process. Mandy's heart isn't going to afford her the pragmatism needed to assess the situation. So this is what we can do. I'll proceed along with Mandy, and if it is an ambush, I'll have her back since I'm fully expecting that to be the case. If so, then you guys will be our counter-ambush pincer attack, while Mandy and I are the decoys. If possible, I'd like to interrogate whomever or whatever may be responsible for orchestrating our demise... Atma then kicked up his pace and caught up with Mandy.

You're right, Mandy! We can't take the risk of some child alone with a nightmare in the black! It is our duty to rescue the child, we have no luxury of caution and skulking about in the night! TO ARMS! Atma then grabs Data's module, re-installing it into Morningstar before beginning to run at pace with Mandy toward the origin of the crying child. Why are you and the pop star breaking off from your wiser colleagues in the middle of the night? Data then hears the crying and makes an audible sigh. I'd provide you the statistical possibility of this not being a trap, but since you're so determined to end up dead, I'll leave you to it. Atma groans in annoyance. Oh, ye of little faith...

Mihaly sighs too, and nods approvingly at Atma. Then he turns to Priela. "So, are we still doing the smart thing? Or do we follow Mandy and Atma so that Mandy's heart overruling her brain is less likely to get them both killed? I know what I wanted to do before Mandy complicated things... now, I'm not so sure, so whatever you go with, I'll just follow your lead."