Barrowmaze - OOC

cailano

Yeah, if Zaivie doesn't feel any unnatural fear or horror here, she probably isn't afraid or horrified; that's just not how her brain works. If the group votes to go in, by the gods, then so will she.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

That oppressive feeling Serpe gets has to do with his connection to his god, so none of the rest of you can feel it. More on that a little later.

It sounds like you guys are going in, since only Serpe has expressed any reluctance. If that’s not the plan, please let me know.

Cyrus isn't particularly pious, dealing usually in lip service. He's more concerned about earthly creatures eating flesh and leaving these bones lol.

I think we keep Tamson outside as a scout as well as making sure our mule doesn't bugger off. I like the idea of Cyrus also staying outside to scout, but know I'll miss any action in the barrow because of it. Decisions, decisions...

1 hour ago, Raistlinmc said:

Don't split the party, Malk; bad things happen in tombs and caves when parties are split. :)

100%! I don't mind going in first, but Dougal would definitely get antsy if he thought the rest of the group wasn't going to follow. Safety in numbers! Lower probability of being targeted...

I have another IC post after "The Great Mound" but I have to tend to some work things before I can write it. Stay tuned!

A Note About Monsters

There is an entire monster section in the Barrowmaze campaign book, and in a few cases, the entries there contradict those in the Basic Fantasy RPG rules.

In all cases, I'll use the stats included with the campaign.

And if you don't know, now you know.

Work this week sucked so far with me being out of the office in the field or travelling every day. I've been pulling minimums of 11 hour days so haven't had time to post. I appreciate your patience and botting Thomas in these unannounced absences.

Hey everyone, be sure you are calculating your to hit bonuses correctly. In BFRPG all classes have a base +1 to hit, not +0.

This is because of how the math worked when they converted descending AC to ascending. They did it in a nice way that is very easy to convert on the fly when using material (like Barrowmaze) that still uses descending AC.

But yeah, base +1 to hit. Make sure to mark it on your character sheet so we don’t forget.

BTW, the attack bonus table is in the Encounter section of the core rulebook.

13 minutes ago, cailano said:

Done!

the only thing I do not like about Basic Fantasy AC system ( And this is because I am a fan of 3rd /3.5 AC) is the fact that no armor is AC 11 not 10 and that Armor does not add to the base ac of 10 it gives you x AC

24 minutes ago, Excior said:

the only thing I do not like about Basic Fantasy AC system ( And this is because I am a fan of 3rd /3.5 AC) is the fact that no armor is AC 11 not 10 and that Armor does not add to the base ac of 10 it gives you x AC

AC 11 vs. 10 is just a difference. You could argue it either way. They get it from the way B/X worked. Your typical 1HD creature or 1st-level character needed a 19 to hit AC 0, not a 20. Thus, when you convert it, the base AC is 11, and the to-hit starts at +1. It was actually a pretty elegant solution that allowed for easy conversion because, for most people, subtracting descending AC from 20 is easier than subtracting it from 19.

I agree that having the armor list as a bonus would have been nice, but I guess it just didn't feel old-school enough for the BFRPG crowd. The end result is the same, of course, but I agree that Armor + Dex + Shield is a cleaner system.

3E had some good ideas for simplifying D&D. Castles and Crusades did a good job of taking those ideas and then stripping out others that slowed the system down. I like to say its the third edition we deserved.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

AC 11 vs. 10 is just a difference. You could argue it either way. They get it from the way B/X worked. Your typical 1HD creature or 1st-level character needed a 19 to hit AC 0, not a 20. Thus, when you convert it, the base AC is 11, and the to-hit starts at +1. It was actually a pretty elegant solution that allowed for easy conversion because, for most people, subtracting descending AC from 20 is easier than subtracting it from 19.

I agree that having the armor list as a bonus would have been nice, but I guess it just didn't feel old-school enough for the BFRPG crowd. The end result is the same, of course, but I agree that Armor + Dex + Shield is a cleaner system.

3E had some good ideas for simplifying D&D. Castles and Crusades did a good job of taking those ideas and then stripping out others that slowed the system down. I like to say its the third edition we deserved.

I agree though I haven't played much C&C

You've found an entrance to the Barrowmaze, which ends part one of our campaign. I'll have a new IC thread for Part Two up shortly. See the IC thread for your XP award!