Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

mazzahs.png.25f4fa9e34e82e06b1336b4d2833e600.pngMazzahs the Magnificent lives in a decaying spire at the northeast corner of Helix. The structure is in disrepair, and the sides are covered in green moss. It is topped by an observatory, complete with the largest telescope any of you have seen.

On the way to the tower, you also discover the home and workshop of a bowyer and fletcher. The proprietor is an elf whom you see sitting on the porch, carving arrow shafts.

A sign on the wizard spire's front door reads DO NOT DISTURB.

What do you do?

** OOC: See updated Helix map

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.pngAllen spends his time after returning to town helping to sell the items recovered from the barrows he follows the group to the inn and gets a room for the night. and spends his time listening to the locals and other treasure seekers if present to try and overhear any rumors that may be valuable.

OOC: sorry for such a bad post just wanted to put something up to stay inline with everybody. I cant find the treasure thread.

"I'm no expert or nothin' on signs an' what may you, but, uhhh...ain't lookin' like this here wizard fella wants any comp'ney," Zaivie offers unhelpfully after studying the mage's sign for a bit too long.

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.pngSerpe looks a the sign in disappointment, "If he's asked to be left alone, we should honor that request. The man may be available later or perhaps we can find someone to assist us in another town later on. We should head to the moors regardless, as we're wasting daylight."

It takes some time to purchase the mule and cart and to hitch the two together. By the time you're ready to go, it is 8:30 am. If you leave now, you can make it to the Barrow Mounds by midday, giving you a few hours to explore before you need to return.

Did you ask Tamson to join you today? If so, he's ready to head out.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"Agreed!" Dougal exclaims. While skeptical that the cart and donkey are actually needed, he's certainly appreciative of the group's optimism. "And if we run into Bertrand again, perhaps we can liberate young Gern. I believe we might try a diplomatic approach as opposed to inviting violence, but of course we must be careful whichever route we take. The Barrowmounds await!"

Dougal will throw an arm around Tamson's shoulder. "I believe you might be our lucky charm, young man. Lead the way!"

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png" Tamson, I think you would be a great addition to our group" Allen checks his gear to make sure it's secured. " What do you say, my friend, Join us for a full share of treasure." Allen gives Tamson a reassuring smile as he tries to convince the young guide to join their group.

Name
Cha check to talk get Tamson to join us
1d20 5

14 minutes ago, Excior said:

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png" Tamson, I think you would be a great addition to our group" Allen checks his gear to make sure it's secured. " What do you say, my friend, Join us for a full share of treasure." Allen gives Tamson a reassuring smile as he tries to convince the young guide to join their group.

Tamson looks around nervously. "No, sir. I'm just a guide. If that's not what you want from me, I'll leave you to your work."

The Barrow Mounds: Third Expedition

June 29th, 1183 King's Reckoning

Over the next few hours, you make your way back to the Barrow Mounds. You've only just arrived, noting the now-familiar silence that pervades the Barrow Moor proper when Tamson raises his fist to call a halt.

You crouch down in the marsh grass, following his gaze. There, about sixty feet from you, are a trio of giant scorpions, each about half the size of your new mule.

The scorpions are feasting on the body of an unfortunate, would-be tomb robber. You can't tell if you recognize the person yet. All you can see are their boots.

The scorpions seem unaware of you, but there isn't an easy way around them. Your path extends to the east and is only twenty feet wide. It is bordered to the north and south by standing water.

On the other hand, the scorpions' tails bear stingers the size of kitchen knives, and you imagine they pack a lethal dose of venom.

What do you do?

Name
Barrow Moor Encounter Roll
1d6 1
Random Encounter
1d6 4
Surprise roll (PCs)
1d6 6
Surprise roll (Monsters)
1d6 2
Surprise roll (Tamson)
1d6 5

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Dougal rummages around in his pack for a moment, withdrawing three earthenware flasks. He gives each of them a tap with a fingernail, a wicked smile on his face. "I happen to have a couple of these for situations such as this."

image.jpeg.72115fd4f1a9693d8bbf2b5ceb9b605e.jpeg

Unwilling to abandon the riches that surely lie ahead, he casts a look to everyone else in the party. If so, he'll hand two of the bottles to whoever might want them, keeping the third for himself.

"I say we shoot 'em and bring 'em ta us," Zaivie says in a hushed whisper, eying the situation thoughtfully. "Path's narrow and they ain't got arrows like us. They'll have ta charge us one by one prob'ley I got me a bow, I know our archer does too...anyone else? If ya got ranged weapons, let's use 'em; if not, be ready for 'em when they come chargin' at us who're shootin'. What'd'ya think, boys?"

Zaivie does as Tamson says, moving back as quietly as she can. She figured he probably knows something she doesn't, which isn't a terribly uncommon feeling for the warrior woman.

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

In town, Cyrus had made a mental note of the bowyer's home; he'd be frequenting the establishment in the future.

The moors were eerily silent as usual beyond the stamping of boots in mud. As the group encountered something, the archer's eyes shot wide and he began to look all around for danger. Then Tamson pointed out the scorpions and Cyrus' heart skipped a beat. He felt faint and then the trembling in his breath.

As silence was again called, Cyrus pulled an arrow free and nocked it on his bow.