Round 3: Museum Opening!

Lumaeus

Count Choraria had been send over again, as he had gotten along well with the Arkhive last conference. First he checked in with Aishah Yaakop, the Fusion technology head now residing in the Arkhive on how things were going.

Senarathne, the painted who had been present at the festival of Ability with her paintings, had also joined the group. Some of her paintings had been acquired by the Arkhive for their museum, and she decided to head there to give a few workshops during the first weeks of the opening.

Points at start of round (Serak'd by Hawk)

image.png.05023e683316706b9881533da4c68ef3.png

On 2/26/2024 at 8:03 AM, Rocket Relm said:

"Hello, it is a pleasure to arrive. I've been looking forwards to seeing the exhibits. I need the healthy distraction right about now."

With opening formalities out of the way, the time for diplomatic openings had begun. Constance is, of course, pleased to see Serenity.

"It is always a pleasure to have you in our humble domain. Please, let your mind wander and enjoy the glorious contributions of the Elect. I'm sure you're overfamiliar with it, but the Moonsoul Mountains display is, well," she lowers her voice and glances around, "I won't divulge how I voted at the festival, but let's just call it a favorite of mine here."

She pauses for a beat.

"And regarding the, ah,cause of your need for distractions, please allow me to reaffirm our support and desire for your continued success, which is unwavering and undimmed by our ties to other involved parties. We offer whatever we can for peaceful resolution. But this is not the time to focus on such things. Come, the mountains are this way."

On 2/28/2024 at 9:32 AM, Kythia said:

Returning the "Package" that was "Borrowed":  A non-canonical play in one act

COEDD'S GROVE

Exit: JY'MAR DELEGATION.

Four CULTISTS watch them leave. COEDD remains motionless

CULTIST 1: We should return the "package" before anyone misses them.

CULTIST 2: We've been through this before Steve. I don't know what that little air two fingers things means. What's the difference between a package and a "package". Besides, which package?

CULTIST 3 (holding up a package): This one I assume. Right Steve? I'm not really sure I'd call it a package though. It's just books and technical documents, wrapped in paper.

CULTIST 4: Interesting. I don't think there's anything intrinisic to a package that makes its contents unknown? The Chonkian Imperial Dictionary defines it as "an object or group of objects wrapped in paper or packed in a box" and I don't think there's anything there indicating that the nature of the objects is unknown.

CULTIST 1 (Steve) exasperated:  Yes. Fine. The books and technical materials we "borrowed". We should return them before they're missed.

CULTIST 2: Look, Steve, I have to speak my truth and this feels disrespectful. I've said I don't understand the air wiggly fingers thing and instead of explaining or referring me to an authoritative source you've just outright done it again.

CULTIST 3: Soldfast's A Summary of Sansarian Signs is where I'd start, Keith. I don't think we borrowed it, though, not really. Like, we snuck in to the library after dark, didn't fill out a borrower's request form. I'd say stole, rather than borrowed.

CULTIST 4: Interesting. The Chonkian Imperial Dictionary defines to borrow as "to take and use (something belonging to someone else) with the intention of returning it" which we very much did have. Whereas to steal is "to take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it". I think borrow is very much the word here.

STEVE exasperated: Just return the bloody stuff before anyone notices. Coedd is All.

ALL(In UNISON): All is Coedd

EXIT: All

A Technician on a routine inventory check a week later notices the returned texts and immediately suspects that one of the interplanetary guests was to blame. After all, why would they only turn up now?

12 hours ago, FriendlyHeadcrab said:

"Greetings dear Queen, and greetings all. A pleasure to be in your company once again".

"It is a honor that never grows dull to be allied with such a generous pod and people. You must forgive that we have no Durat monument in the museum--it's focus is too narrow. Perhaps one day we should construct a system model of Tekhum to demonstrate trade the trade routes in your wondrous exchange, but that will have to wait for the next radioactive crater to be, ah, donated by visiting dignitaries."

1 hour ago, farothel said:
Senarathne, the painted who had been present at the festival of Ability with her paintings, had also joined the group. Some of her paintings had been acquired by the Arkhive for their museum, and she decided to head there to give a few workshops during the first weeks of the opening.

Constance forces room into her schedule to attend the first workshop, demonstrating some small technical drafting ability but no enormous talent.

Edited by Lumaeus (see edit history)

Attendants quietly let delegations from Local Member states know when the private conference is about to begin and direct them to a private room, where Constance is found waiting. At each place around the table, set with a name card, a small packet of waxpapers wait. Each packet has the current Charter of the Arkhive and the proposed amendments to it.

Invited are the guests from Caipe Ushere, Eilif Dhaoine, the Glorious Purifiers, the Illumined Utiopian, and the White Pawns, as well as any Sansar powers that join at this event.You have not lost your chance, if you were hoping to get in to this! The offer is always open! Coedd is not a Local Member, but enjoys every privilege they do anyway, should she choose.

The Queen makes only the briefest speech. "My friends, it is good to see you all here. The radioluminescent glow of the crater can't compare to the radiant joy I feel at the continued success of this experiment. Rather than waste your time, I will get down to wax tacks: the Illumined Utopian have proposed an amendment to the Charter, and at the advice of some friends of the Arkhive, I propose my own. You will find them before you, with copies in your own languages, and I will read them out now. Afterwards, a simple yea or nay on each will be all we need, and then we will break for refreshments before returning."

The refreshments in question appear to be on a tray near the Queen--Honeyed Words and a thimbleful of Royal Jelly.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:27 PM, SerakHawk said:

Proposed First Amendment of the Arkhive 

First Charter Amendment:

It is under the auspices of time and fate that all things must fade and all power should be relinquished. The Illumined Utopian is well aware that all things must pass so that the future may be paved brighter. It is under this guiding principle that the Illumined Utopian, First Patron of the Arkhive Æternal, led by Console Prisca Calpurnius propose the following amendment to the Charter of the Arkhive Æternal for its own benefit and for the fostering of future relations between all members of the Arkhive library and for the ability for differing points of view to hold sway over the course of the Arkhive.

1. A Consecutive Term Limit is Mandated for Patrons of the Arkhive Æternal to be limited to a gap of a minimum of one varying Patron Realm between Patronage. Contribution position {(Second, Third, ect)} may be carried forward unto the following Patronage Cycle. {In the event a current patron is first they switch positions with the next highest contributor}

2. The Current Patron may provide a recommendation to the Arkhive Æternal providing an incumbent Patron with a higher ranking in the terms of contributions to the Arkhive Æternal.

It is the Illumined Utopian's intention to have a limit enforced such that a single Patron cannot 'strong-arm' policy changes and cultural shifts on the Arkhive Æternal without end requiring Realms to share the patronage of the Arkhive. The ability of a current Patron to 'elect' an incumbent Patron allows for additional collaboration between the current Patron and potential future Patrons hopefully resulting in the fostering of relationships between members of the Library.

{Grit - Patron can't win two Hexenniels in a row, but get to have a position of contribution for next IE could get second while patron - first trades with second. Current Patron can give an incumbent a flat +2 to their Arkhive Contribution Score, they must specify who it is in an IC non-action post and cannot change it once set.}

The Freedom of Conscience Amendment

No Patron may require the Arkhive to Adopt Faith.

When the powers that be in Eilif Dhaoine had convened to decide their international delegations, Scorcha had volunteered herself to represent the country in the Hexennial once again. She had quite enjoyed her time there last time, bomb threat aside, and was eager to see what was in store this time - that, and the prospect of changes occuring in the Arkhive's policies was a matter that deserved attention. This time, though, there were fewer lannan present - despite the Khylokian situation in the first Hexennial, the Eilif Dhaoine government had apparently downscaled the amount of security they thought was necessary in the first few years of the Elect's history. Similarly, while they hadn't been entirely kept out, there were definitely fewer sealga around than last time, and those that were there were rather more well-behaved than the lot that got in the first time around. Besides a few minor officials in the Eilif Dhaoine government, who promptly scatter to see the rest of the museum, writing notes to report back home with later, Scorcha just has her usual lannan bodyguard as she takes in the sights and tries to make herself look approachable if any of the other guests wish to speak with her - there were good odds that she'd be left to her own devices, of course, but Eilif Dhaoine had just positioned itself in the middle of the...interplanetary situation in northwest Chonkia, after all.

She notes the weapon exhibit with interest. She'd heard something about a team of crawler techs that were originally part of Clagath's forces (using the period of re-recruitment and reformation that the First had undergone to secure some free time) having travelled to Badal and shown off some of the Dhaoine's arsenal, but it was interesting to see the result in person. The dealan-sleagh, huh? She supposed it was as good a choice as any, when it came to the weapons mounted on crawlers. She personally liked the heavier railguns better, though.

---

When she's informed that the conference is imminent, Scorcha immediately drops her contemplation of some of the Veehran paintings on display to head to the room in question, sitting down and reading through the paperwork while she waits for everyone to assemble. The Queen's joke about the crater gets a grin from her, and she happily lets her get through reading out everything before speaking up. "These are simple enough - both seem like sensible decisions to me, so it's a yea from Eilif Dhaoine."

Votes

I'll put this in my IC post too when I pull things together there, but I'm in favour of both amendments.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:29 PM, Lumaeus said:

Constance forces room into her schedule to attend the first workshop, demonstrating some small technical drafting ability but no enormous talent.

Senarathne is a bit nervous to have the queen herself in the workshop, but she hides it well and demonstrates the first of the techniques. She very supportive of the people in the workshop, knowing it took her years to learn (and she's still learning daily). This workshop is more like a teaser trailer of a movie. If you want to see more, you have to enter a more formal apprenticeship. And she's sure that the queen won't have time for something like that. Senarathne was alreaedy surprised she had time for this workshop.

Veteran Coedd watchers - of which the Arkhive had many, intelligent scholars who had devoted many years to studying Coedd's ways - were split on how it would vote. There was general agreement that Coedd hadn't 100% understood the concept of voting and the majority camp was expecting two abstentions. But there was a strong minority who believed it would vote with the ArkHive on their amendment - reasoning that Coedd wouldn't care and it would support the ArkHive doing whatever the ArkHive wanted. The second amendment, the one from the Jy'Mar there was far more agreement on an abstention but there was nevertheless a small but vocal faction who believed it would vote in favour.

When forty odd chemical analysers beeped there was a sudden shuffling of position to see the results while those senior cultists who had cybernetic noses sniffed the air noisily. Padraig, accidentally honoured with announcing the results confers in quick whispers with a few of his senior colleagues to make sure he was interpreting correctly then, at their nods, cleared his throat and spoke up.

Coedd votes yes for both amendments.

A fair amount of money changed hands

Edited by Kythia (see edit history)

Console Prisca was wringing her hands as the voting took place, she had poured a good amount of time attempting to draft the amendment correctly and it had already required an edit to clarify the language. Silently making her vote she marked off Yea to both amendments.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:02 AM, FriendlyHeadcrab said:

In the years of late, the Durats have been quite busy in the establishment of the STC, and even now as their long wetships arrive the the far up, the Exulted Pod's chamber is a flurry of calls and activity. It seems the recent news of the Firmament has the Durats in full motion. But even all the noise can't prevent the Exalted Vuk Cssskk Tyculhajodejana from relaxing as he makes his way into the Hive, it just has that vibe ya know?

"Greetings dear Queen, and greetings all. A pleasure to be in your company once again".

After initial welcomes, the Exulted makes his way to the envoy of the Hammer, looking for conversation. "It is pleasant you again. It's a joy you're able to travel so from far. I was hoping to inquire with you on trade opportunities."

Really sorry crab - I missed this

Oh the acolyte turns and see the Durat representative. Excuse me one moment he asks the Glix ambassador Exalted Vuk Cssskk Tyculhajodejana isn't it? You will have to forgve me if I've pronounced that wrong. It's that elongated fricative, you don't see it often and I'm never quite sure how long to elongate...well, anyway. I'm glad I've seen you, even if I've started off badly with a botched pronunciation. Stage Trees, the errrm, the putative flora you found on the Firmament. Coedd is concerned about the effects of off-world flora on Sansar and is asking that they be allowed to examine and possibly modify some samples before they're allowed on the planet. Is that likely to be something we can work with the Durat's on?

"This all seems quite reasonable. The amendments should help ensure that this magnificent library remains a place where people from all the myriad nations of Sansar and beyond can mingle freely without fear. The Radiant Republic votes yes to both." Cathal Oribsiu responded after a few minutes of contemplative silence, giving a respectful nod to both Console Prisca and Queen Constance, and largely approving of the changes. It wouldn't do for the Arkhive to completely align with one power or another afterall. A mostly neutral ground for even enemies to meet may prove important in the days to come.

Edited by DKArthas (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Kythia said:

Really sorry crab - I missed this

Oh the acolyte turns and see the Durat representative. Excuse me one moment he asks the Glix ambassador Exalted Vuk Cssskk Tyculhajodejana isn't it? You will have to forgve me if I've pronounced that wrong. It's that elongated fricative, you don't see it often and I'm never quite sure how long to elongate...well, anyway. I'm glad I've seen you, even if I've started off badly with a botched pronunciation. Stage Trees, the errrm, the putative flora you found on the Firmament. Coedd is concerned about the effects of off-world flora on Sansar and is asking that they be allowed to examine and possibly modify some samples before they're allowed on the planet. Is that likely to be something we can work with the Durat's on?

Absolutely no problem

Vuk Cssskk Tyculhajodejana turns to the acolyte, "Well met. I am glad to finally converse with a speaker of Coedd. I have heard much of your master from my friend, The Queen. I do not begrudge the difficulty in pronunciation, it is common. You may refer to me simply as "Exulted", "The Exulted", "Speaker Supreme" or "Speaker Vuk".

Two of the Wisers shift behind the Speaker in thought, as the Speaker moves to a new topic, "It is no surprise to me that the great Coedd is interested in the vegetation of the Firmament. Though I do find myself surprised, though it may have little contact with the lands below, is the Firmament not connected by great elevator trunks? I would expect these trees to be descendant of our own ancient forests. Regardless, the Durat people are open to scientific study and the pursuit of learning. I recommend reaching out to the University for a join venture into these forests.

For the second part of your request, if your study concludes before samples reach the planet surface may be a matter of your researcher's speed. While I welcome your researchers, I cannot grant you the capability to halt trade. Especially for a resource as valuable to our neighbors in the Ebon Cove.

Edited by FriendlyHeadcrab (see edit history)

The Exulted thinks a bit longer, then speaks again, "Perhaps there is a middle ground here. You are quite close with the Arkhive. We shall send the bulk of initial trade into their care for use in study and compost. After your initial studies with us, you can continue your investigations with the materials in the Arkhive's care."

The acolyte nods thoughtfully and seems about to reply befire the Exulted continues. We would ask for a week in which Stage Trees only come to the Arkhive before they're spread more widely. I'm pretty certain that I speak for Coedd when I say she has no interest at all in intefering with your burgeoning trade empire but extra-planet plant life can be dangerous. We can get everything done in a week, I'm sure, and I imagine you'd just be setting up transport systems, harvesting plants and so on in the first month or so anyway?

7 hours ago, Kythia said:

The acolyte nods thoughtfully and seems about to reply befire the Exulted continues. We would ask for a week in which Stage Trees only come to the Arkhive before they're spread more widely. I'm pretty certain that I speak for Coedd when I say she has no interest at all in intefering with your burgeoning trade empire but extra-planet plant life can be dangerous. We can get everything done in a week, I'm sure, and I imagine you'd just be setting up transport systems, harvesting plants and so on in the first month or so anyway?

"That should be fine, we'll be quite interested to hear the results of your report"

On 3/2/2024 at 6:09 AM, Lumaeus said:

Attendants quietly let delegations from Local Member states know when the private conference is about to begin and direct them to a private room, where Constance is found waiting. At each place around the table, set with a name card, a small packet of waxpapers wait. Each packet has the current Charter of the Arkhive and the proposed amendments to it.

Invited are the guests from Caipe Ushere, Eilif Dhaoine, the Glorious Purifiers, the Illumined Utiopian, and the White Pawns, as well as any Sansar powers that join at this event.You have not lost your chance, if you were hoping to get in to this! The offer is always open! Coedd is not a Local Member, but enjoys every privilege they do anyway, should she choose.

The Queen makes only the briefest speech. "My friends, it is good to see you all here. The radioluminescent glow of the crater can't compare to the radiant joy I feel at the continued success of this experiment. Rather than waste your time, I will get down to wax tacks: the Illumined Utopian have proposed an amendment to the Charter, and at the advice of some friends of the Arkhive, I propose my own. You will find them before you, with copies in your own languages, and I will read them out now. Afterwards, a simple yea or nay on each will be all we need, and then we will break for refreshments before returning."

The refreshments in question appear to be on a tray near the Queen--Honeyed Words and a thimbleful of Royal Jelly.

The Durats vote "No" on The First Amendment, and "Yes" on The Freedom of Conscience Amendment.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:27 PM, SerakHawk said:

Proposed First Amendment of the Arkhive 

First Charter Amendment:

It is under the auspices of time and fate that all things must fade and all power should be relinquished. The Illumined Utopian is well aware that all things must pass so that the future may be paved brighter. It is under this guiding principle that the Illumined Utopian, First Patron of the Arkhive Æternal, led by Console Prisca Calpurnius propose the following amendment to the Charter of the Arkhive Æternal for its own benefit and for the fostering of future relations between all members of the Arkhive library and for the ability for differing points of view to hold sway over the course of the Arkhive.

1. A Consecutive Term Limit is Mandated for Patrons of the Arkhive Æternal to be limited to a gap of a minimum of one varying Patron Realm between Patronage. Contribution position may be carried forward unto the following Patronage Cycle.

2. The Current Patron may provide a recommendation to the Arkhive Æternal providing an incumbent Patron with a higher ranking in the terms of contributions to the Arkhive Æternal.

It is the Illumined Utopian's intention to have a limit enforced such that a single Patron cannot 'strong-arm' policy changes and cultural shifts on the Arkhive Æternal without end requiring Realms to share the patronage of the Arkhive. The ability of a current Patron to 'elect' an incumbent Patron allows for additional collaboration between the current Patron and potential future Patrons hopefully resulting in the fostering of relationships between members of the Library.

{Grit - Patron can't win two Hexenniels in a row. Current Patron can give an incumbent a flat +2 to their Arkhive Contribution Score, they must specify who it is in an IC non-action post and cannot change it once set.}

A representative of Caipe Ushere, one of the upper members of the Diplomatic Corps under Eminent Ambassador Lomchat, has sat quietly and listened for the proceedings, but offered no commentary of their own.

Caipe Ushere votes NO for the First Amendment.

On 3/2/2024 at 6:09 AM, Lumaeus said:

Caipe Ushere votes YES for the Freedom of Conscience Amendment.