Dragons of Light

codexgigas

Araxis Malthen-Galad

spacer.pngPassive Insight: 13 || Passive Investigation: 17 || Passive Perception: 13

AC: 13
HP: 78/78
Hit Dice Used (d6): 0
Speed: 30
Spell Slots: 1st - 4  2nd - 3 3rd - 3 4th - 3 5th - 2

Araxis feels his confidence in talking to others fade a bit as his memory becomes a bit fuzzy only to be looking down at a scarf. "I agree. It does seem a bit holier than most things so be best left in his hands. If you cannot figure it out later I can have a look. The more pressing matter is that cloud."

He watched as Gareth went to go speak to his fellow knight. He could handle that matter. As he went to the back of the ship, he gazed out to determine if the cloud was as bad as it seemed like it would be.

Actions

I guess an arcana roll...and perception.

Name
roll arcana
1d20+8 14
Roll perception
1d20+4 12

Monday, 23rd of Winter Night, Morning

Moon Magic

Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari are in conjunction. All Wizards of High Sorcery receive a +1 bonus to Spell Attack Rolls and Spell Save DCs.

Solinari (9)--Waning, 4 days to Low Sanction
Lunitari (6)--Waning, 1 day to Low Sanction
Nuitari (9)--Waning, 1 day to Low Sanction

image.png.1dc09c057ea51f6c52339d262fdb06ad.pngThe captain and the sailors are unsure of what the cloud is, but there is frantic activity as they attempt to identify it. Meanwhile, Sir Gareth goes below decks, where Derek refuses to acknowledge his presence outside the cabin door. When he returns to the deck, the scene has become grim.

Araxis recognizes the cloud is not a cloud shortly before the captain resorts to his spyglass. Araxis speaks seconds before the captain says, "That's not a cloud. It's a dragon!"

In the next few minutes, as the sailors prepare as best they can for a draconic assault, the cloud resolves into the form of a white dragon. It looks eerily like Sleet, but Araxis notes that its snout in longer than hers was, marking this dragon as a male. It seems as if Sleet had a mate who is now out for revenge. Based on the speed at which the dragon is moving, you have perhaps four more minutes before the Windrider will be within range of its breath weapon.

Tabletop

You have diamonds worth 2500 steel left. If you intend to draw cards from the Deck of Many Things, you need to declare how many cards you wish to draw in advance.

spacer.pngGareth uth Fearfold, Knight of the Crown

AC 21 | HP 101/101 | Channel Divinity 3/2+1
Str 18 | Dex 11 | Con 14 | Int 10 | Wis 20 | Cha 12
Precise Strike 4/4 | Commanding Rally 4/4 | Demoralizing Strike 4/4
Spells +10 DC 18 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 3/3 | 4th 3/3 | 5th 2/2

Gareth exhales, "a dragon. It's tracking the orb. We've got to get to Derek." He heads down to the cabin hoping his companions to follow.

"Derek! Derek! There's a dragon tracking the orb! Open the door! Open the door! I need to bless you!" If he doesn't open the door, Gareth will break down the door.

OOC

Active spells: Water Walk

Name
Athletics
1d20+8 12

Javeq - Half-Elf Warlock 10 sheetspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 103/103 | Features | Conditions:

Knowing he has a few moments before the dragon arrives, Javeq is a little concerned for Gareth and Derek, so he follows his friend to the cabin, standing behind him when he knocks on the door.

"I hope he's ok."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Frostbrand
Off Hand: Empty

Action: none

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Object: none

Reaction: shield if it helps

ACTIONS
Greatsword +9 to hit, 2d6+5 slashing +1d6 cold (-5/+10 for GWM, triple advantage from EA)
Eldritch Blast +8 to hit, 1d10+4 damage 150' range
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
Spells, cast at 5th level: Armor of Agathys, Shield, Hold Person x4, Invisibility x4, Summon Shadowspawn, Dispel Magic, Fly x3, Dimension Door, Shadow of Moil, Far Step
Ring of Spell Storing: shield x5
Armor of Hexes: Reaction for d6, Hexed misses on 4+

Notes

travelled via Sia Mori to Pax Tharkas to free hostages and lead a slave revolt.
Ka'Dzenha kidnapped Laurana, serves Verminaard
Gilthanas - elf we rescued
Eben - human who survived battle against draconics. TRAITOR
Laurena - captured by Ka'Dzenha, now rescued
Verminaard - sitting on throne, defeated and revived
Goldmoon - of the Que-shu, now rescued
Flamestrike - very old red dragon
Riverwind, one of Goldmoon's people. "The other men will listen to him, and he knows the ways of the warrior. He is tall, with raven-black hair and green eyes."
Fizban - wizard in skull lair.
Blaize - brass dragon in bubble.
Fistandantlus
Grallen, son of Duncan, Thane of the Hylar and High King of Thorbardin. Cannot rest until helm is returned to the Hall of the Thanes in Hybardin
Dream - "I have entered this door and cannot find my way back," Goldmoon cries. "Please! Come and bring that which I left behind!" There were seven open archways into the tower. As I watched, a group of hooded pilgrims approached, changing into draconians. I followed the dim hallway and the draconian attacked. I tried to fight them, but everything went wrong. They killed Jolly. I killed Sir Gareth. 
Kharas - dwarf son of Glade
Glade Hornfel - Thane of Hylar in Lifetree on Council of Thanes
Hammer of Kharas was lost by High King Duncan
Governor Elistan Castleguard
Silvanesti noble Lady Starbreeze
Derek Crownguard, leader of knights of solamnia.

spacer.png

Araxis Malthen-Galad

spacer.pngPassive Insight: 13 || Passive Investigation: 17 || Passive Perception: 13

AC: 13

Araxis stares down the giant lizard across the waves. There was no chance in getting away. Best they could do was fend it off and hope they did enough damage to it to scare it away. He wasn't sure he had enough firepower to do the job. An angry mate typically tends to be more aggressive and is willing to go all out. He looked around the ship for whatever would help in the battle. If he knew that he would have to fight another one, he would have prepared this morning a little better.

Actions

Investigation check

Name
Investigation
1d20+8 11

Thorin Firestone

images.jpeg.729fcef46eb66285ce59d8d4e9bfc3e3.jpeg

Statblock

Thorin Firestone

Dwarf Drakewarden Ranger 10

Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Outlander

Deity: Reorx

AC: 20

HP: 105

Str: 21 (+8)

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 13 (+1)

Wis: 18 (+4)

Cha: 10 (0)

Saves:  Strength and Dexterity

Skills: Athletics, Nature, Stealth, Perception, Survival

Feat: Skill Expert

Melee Attack: WyrmSlayer +2 BattleAxe - +13 to hit      Handaxe x3 - +8 to hit

Ranged Attack: Heavy Crossbow - +8 to hit Handaxe x3 - +8 to hit

Flaw

I am too enamored of ale, dwarven spirits, and a good pipe at the end of the day. 

Personality Trait

I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching Draconian horde. I'd do it again if I had to. 

Ideal

It is each person's responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole clan.

Bond

My clan is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me. I want to bring honor to their name.

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Athletics +8
Acrobatics +4
Stealth +10
Sleight of Hand +4
Arcana +2
History +2
Investigation +2
Nature +5
Religion +2
Animal Handling +4
Insight +7
Medicine +4
Perception +10
Survival +7
Deception +0
Intimidation +0
Performance +0
Persuasion +0

Passive Perception: 18

Feats and Abilities 

Feats: Skill Expert

Race Traits

Class Features

Background Features

Proficiencies

• Armor: None
  • Weapons: None
  • Tools: Mandolin

Languages:

• Common
  • Dwarven
  • Draconic
  • Elvish
  • Hand Talk
  • Ogre
  • Plains Nomad

Spells

Spells Known: 
Cantrips: 
Thaumaturgy
Level 1 Spells: 
Detect Magic   
Goodberry
Fog Cloud
Level 2 Spells: 
Locate Object  
Lesser Restoration

Primal Awareness Spells: 

These can be done once a day.

Speak with Animals   
Beast Sense

Equipment

Equipment

• WyrmSlayer +2 Battle Axe
  • Heavy Crossbow
  • Hand Axe x3
  • Mithral Half Plate
  • Belt of Giant Strength
  • Explorer’s Pack
  • Flask of Dwarven Spirits
  • Jug of Ale
  • Pouch of Dwarven Smoking tobacco
  • Dwarven Pipe
  • Deck of Cards
  • Grooming Kit
  • Mirror
  • Assorted herbs and spices for cooking
  • Iron Pot
  • Mandolin
  • Shield

Drake Companion Stats

Name: Silvena
Size: Small/Medium
HP: 40
Proficiency Bonus:+3
Speed: 40
Saves: Dex +4, Wis +5
Abilities: STR 16(+3), DEX 12(+1), CON 15(+2), INT 8 (-1), WIS 14(+2), CHA 8 (-1)
Damage Immunities:Cold
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft,

Passive Perception: 12
Languages: Draconic
Actions:
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 +3 piercing cold damage.
Reactions: Infused Strikes. When another creature within 30 feet of the drake that it can see hits a target with a weapon attack, the drake infuses the strike with its essence, causing the target to take an extra 1d6 cold damage

A look of annoyance crosses Thorin's face as he sees the dragon in the sky behind them, he looks to the rest of the group. "I hope that someone can put another fly spell on me because WyrmSlayer is thirsty?"

Silvena hops up on the railing of the ship and stares out at the dragon, she too was ready to attack. She was not a fan of her evil cousins.

Name
Investigation
1d20+2 14

AC: 16 | HP: 103/103 | Features | Conditions:

As he waits for Gareth to break down Derek's door, Javeq looks back at Thorin and smiles.

"I've got you, friend."

He then looks at Araxis, "How would you like to fly this time, too?"

Right before the dragon arrives, Javeq plans to cast fly on his three friends. This time he will stay on the ground.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Frostbrand
Off Hand: Empty

Action: none

ACTIONS
Greatsword +9 to hit, 2d6+5 slashing +1d6 cold (-5/+10 for GWM, triple advantage from EA)
Spells, cast at 5th level: Armor of Agathys, Shield, Hold Person x4, Invisibility x4, Summon Shadowspawn, Dispel Magic, Fly x3, Dimension Door, Shadow of Moil, Far Step

Notes

Riverwind, one of Goldmoon's people. "The other men will listen to him, and he knows the ways of the warrior. He is tall, with raven-black hair and green eyes."
Fistandantlus
Grallen, son of Duncan, Thane of the Hylar and High King of Thorbardin. Cannot rest until helm is returned to the Hall of the Thanes in Hybardin
Dream - "I have entered this door and cannot find my way back," Goldmoon cries. "Please! Come and bring that which I left behind!" There were seven open archways into the tower. As I watched, a group of hooded pilgrims approached, changing into draconians. I followed the dim hallway and the draconian attacked. I tried to fight them, but everything went wrong. They killed Jolly. I killed Sir Gareth. 

spacer.png

Araxis Malthen-Galad

AC: 14 (17 MA)

He let a smirk come across his face. "That is tempting Javeq. Are we going for the kill here or we just trying to get away?" He looked back over his shoulder after addressing Javeq towards the dragon. He tapped his walking stick twice into the deck, activating his mage armor.

Actions

Cast Mage Armor

Moon Magic

Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitari are in conjunction. All Wizards of High Sorcery receive a +1 bonus to Spell Attack Rolls and Spell Save DCs.

image.png.1dc09c057ea51f6c52339d262fdb06ad.pngGareth slams his armor into the door to Derek's cabin, shattering the wood. He takes a staggering step into the cabin after crashing through the door. Derek sneers at the other knight. The Dragon Orb is not visible, but there is a telling lump in the pack that Derek is swinging on to his back. "That's what a Dragon Orb does, uth Fearfold," the Knight of the Rose says. "The wizards created them to call the dragons down. But I haven't used the orb. It takes a wielder to call the dragons, and no one on this ship has been authorized by the Council to use the Orb. My orders were to retrieve and return it. I'm sure the Whitestone Council will listen to reason and give me permission to use the Dragon Orb against our foes, but until they do, I will not presume to use its powers. Now come with me. It appears I have another dragon to slay." With that, Derek heads above decks.

Araxis peers around the deck, finding relatively little that will be of use against a dragon. There are some whaling harpoons stacked on the deck. However, it will take a great deal of strength to use them to pierce a dragon's thick hide.

Javeq and Araxis cast their spells. You make your preparations as best you can. The dragon comes within 60 feet of the boat. At this point, Gareth and Thorin leap into action.

Tabletop

You have diamonds worth 2500 steel left. If you intend to draw cards from the Deck of Many Things, you need to declare how many cards you wish to draw in advance.

AC: 19 | HP: 103/103 | Features | Conditions:

Javeq responds to Araxis.

"We need to kill it if we can. It will destroy others if we leave it alive."

He suggests to Araxis that we let Derek fly too. If Araxis agrees, he will cast fly on Derek instead of the wizard. But if Araxis is excited about flying, he will keep his spell on his friends. As the dragon approaches, Javeq finds cover. His primary goal is to avoid the breath weapon so the others can keep flying.

He also grabs a shield from the ship's supplies.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Shield

Action: cast fly on Gareth, Thorin and either Derek or Araxis (Hudson's choice)

ACTIONS
Longsword +9 to hit, 1d8+5 slashing +1d6 cold (triple advantage from EA)
Spells, cast at 5th level: Armor of Agathys, Shield, Hold Person x4, Invisibility x4, Summon Shadowspawn, Dispel Magic, Fly x3, Dimension Door, Shadow of Moil, Synaptic Static

Notes

Fistandantlus

spacer.png

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

AC 21 | HP 101/101 | Channel Divinity 3/2+1
Str 18 | Dex 11 | Con 14 | Int 10 | Wis 20 | Cha 12
Spells +10 DC 18 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/3 | 4th 2/3 | 5th 2/2

Gareth shakes his head in the irony of being told to follow a knight into battle that he just had to break down the door to get him out. No wonder he hates this tool. And, there is no way that Crownguard should be allowed to attempt to command the dragon orb.

Emerging on deck, Gareth finds a high spot and addresses the crew with a Motivational Speech. "My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of dragons and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you, stand!"

When the dragon gets within 60 feet, Gareth draws his magically flaming mace and calls out, "Habukkuk! Please send your spiritual knights!" Causing transculent angelic knights to appear and swirl around the knight of the sword.

Mechanics

Active spells: Water WalkTarget: Up to ten willing creatures you can see within range

Duration: 1 hour

This spell grants the ability to move across any liquid surface—such as water, acid, mud, snow, quicksand, or lava—as if it were harmless solid ground (creatures crossing molten lava can still take damage from the heat). Up to ten willing creatures you can see within range gain this ability for the duration. If you target a creature submerged in a liquid, the spell carries the target to the surface of the liquid at a rate of 60 feet per round.
, Motivational Speech (Gareth, Javeq, Araxis, Thorin, Silvena)Duration: 1 hour

Choose up to five creatures within range that can hear you. For the duration, each affected creature gains 5 temporary hit points and has advantage on Wisdom saving throws. If an affected creature is hit by an attack, it has advantage on the next attack roll it makes. Once an affected creature loses the temporary hit points granted by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.
, FlyDuration: Javeq Concentration, Up to 10 minutes

You touch a willing creature. The target gains a flying speed of 60 feet for the duration. When the spell ends, the target falls if it is still aloft, unless it can stop the fall.

Action Spirit Guardians at 4thThey flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. An affected creature’s speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Move Fly to just get the dragon into the Spirit Guardians; off center to avoid dragon breath included with Thorin or ship; and near the water surface

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Spirit Guardians Wis DC 18 for half
4d8 1,5,3,6

Thorin Firestone

images.jpeg.729fcef46eb66285ce59d8d4e9bfc3e3.jpeg

Statblock

Thorin Firestone

Dwarf Drakewarden Ranger 10

Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Outlander

Deity: Reorx

AC: 20

HP: 105

Str: 21 (+8)

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 13 (+1)

Wis: 18 (+4)

Cha: 10 (0)

Saves:  Strength and Dexterity

Skills: Athletics, Nature, Stealth, Perception, Survival

Feat: Skill Expert

Melee Attack: WyrmSlayer +2 BattleAxe - +13 to hit      Handaxe x3 - +8 to hit

Ranged Attack: Heavy Crossbow - +8 to hit Handaxe x3 - +8 to hit

Flaw

I am too enamored of ale, dwarven spirits, and a good pipe at the end of the day. 

Personality Trait

I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching Draconian horde. I'd do it again if I had to. 

Ideal

It is each person's responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole clan.

Bond

My clan is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me. I want to bring honor to their name.

Skills

Skill Name Modifier
Athletics +8
Acrobatics +4
Stealth +10
Sleight of Hand +4
Arcana +2
History +2
Investigation +2
Nature +5
Religion +2
Animal Handling +4
Insight +7
Medicine +4
Perception +10
Survival +7
Deception +0
Intimidation +0
Performance +0
Persuasion +0

Passive Perception: 18

Feats and Abilities 

Feats: Skill Expert

Race Traits

Class Features

Background Features

Proficiencies

• Armor: None
  • Weapons: None
  • Tools: Mandolin

Languages:

• Common
  • Dwarven
  • Draconic
  • Elvish
  • Hand Talk
  • Ogre
  • Plains Nomad

Spells

Spells Known: 
Cantrips: 
Thaumaturgy
Level 1 Spells: 
Detect Magic   
Goodberry
Fog Cloud
Level 2 Spells: 
Locate Object  
Lesser Restoration

Primal Awareness Spells: 

These can be done once a day.

Speak with Animals   
Beast Sense

Equipment

Equipment

• WyrmSlayer +2 Battle Axe
  • Heavy Crossbow
  • Hand Axe x3
  • Mithral Half Plate
  • Belt of Giant Strength
  • Explorer’s Pack
  • Flask of Dwarven Spirits
  • Jug of Ale
  • Pouch of Dwarven Smoking tobacco
  • Dwarven Pipe
  • Deck of Cards
  • Grooming Kit
  • Mirror
  • Assorted herbs and spices for cooking
  • Iron Pot
  • Mandolin
  • Shield

Drake Companion Stats

Name: Silvena
Size: Small/Medium
HP: 40
Proficiency Bonus:+3
Speed: 40
Saves: Dex +4, Wis +5
Abilities: STR 16(+3), DEX 12(+1), CON 15(+2), INT 8 (-1), WIS 14(+2), CHA 8 (-1)
Damage Immunities:Cold
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft,

Passive Perception: 12
Languages: Draconic
Actions:
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6 +3 piercing cold damage.
Reactions: Infused Strikes. When another creature within 30 feet of the drake that it can see hits a target with a weapon attack, the drake infuses the strike with its essence, causing the target to take an extra 1d6 cold damage

A grin comes across his face as the fly spell kicks in and he takes to the air, Silvena circling around him, keeping in a position to help flank them. He speaks to Silvena in draconic "Well my dear, you ready to dance?"

Silvena roars in response, her defiance of her evil cousin readily apparent. As she sweeps in and attempts to snap her jaws on her evil cousin. Thorin comes in for an attack as well sweeping both high and low. If either of his attacks hit Silvena will react by adding her essence damage. He will also tag them as his favored foe.

Name
First attack
1d20+13 18
First damage
1d8+9 8
Extra damage
2d6 3,4
Second attack
1d20+13 4
Second damage
1d8+9 1
Second extra damage
2d6 5,4
Silvena attack
1d20+7 14
Silvena damage
2d6+4 1,4
Silvena reaction
1d6 3
Extra damage from favored foe
1d6 5

Araxis Malthen-Galad

AC: 14 (17 MA)

"Let the knights fly Javeq, I will have my day. For now, I will do my most from here." Araxis pointed straight at the dragon as it came barreling towards them and let loose a spell to hopefully benefit them in this tricky battle.

Actions

Cast Synaptic Static

Name
Synaptic Static
8d6 3,1,6,3,5,4,6,1

Posted (edited)

Moon Magic

image.png.613517813d250163470413cacbe8baac.pngGareth casts his spell. His spectral knights fly around him. He flies into the air so that his knights attack the dragon, but the dragon avoids the worst of their attacks.

Thorin and Silvena join Gareth in the air. Thorin's first attack with his magic axe hits the dragon, but he is buffeted by wind from the dragon's wings and his second strike goes wide. Silvena bites the larger dragon, flames from her jaws causing additional damage.

The dragon flaps its wings, buffeting Thorin and Silvena. Both take 12 points of bludgeoning damage. The force of the wind knocks Silvena from the air, and she fallf to hit the water below with a loud splash. Silvena takes 11 points of bludgeoning damage from the fall.

While the rest of you master the dragon fear, Derek and Aran fall prey to it. Derek grows in frustration as he finds himself unable to move toward the dragon. He fires a single crossbow bolt at it, but his trembling hands make the bolt fly wide. "Master yourself, Aran!" he cries.

Aran's hands likewise tremble as he fires two arrows at the dragon. Both miss. However, his commander's encouragement provides Aran with the courage he needs to overcome his fear of the dragon.

The dragon opens its maw, spewing icy breath. However, the breath weapon avoids all of you, and instead hits the ship itself. With a jerk, the ship stops its movement. It is frozen in place in the sea. Spears of ice pierce the ship's hull in several places, and a slurry of ice and water begins to pour in. It then dives below the water, disappearing from your sight.

Tabletop

The full party is up.

Thorin and Silvena fail their dexterity saves against the dragon's wing attack legendary action. This causes them to fall prone. Thorin is protected by the fly spell, but Silvena immediately falls, since her speed is now 0. She falls 60 feet, taking a total of 6d6 fall damage. They must use half their movement to "stand" from prone, but they will then regain their fly speed.

Derek uses his leadership ability. Once per round, one ally within 30' of Derek can add 1d4 to an attack roll or saving throw.

The dragon has taken 48 damage.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)

AC 21 | HP 101+5/101 | Channel Divinity 3/2+1
Str 18 | Dex 11 | Con 14 | Int 10 | Wis* 20 | Cha 12
Spells +10 DC 18 | Cantrips | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/3 | 4th 2/3 | 5th 2/2

Gareth mouths O when the dragon pins the ship and dives below the water. Protect the orb! Where is that clown? Screams in his mind as the knight races back to the ship to station himself above and to the outboard side of Derek, so he doesn't fall on Derek if Fly quits. Translucent spiritual knights engulf a large portion of the deck.

On his way flying five feet above the water, he looks to send a Sacred Flame at the dragon when he sees it.

Mechanics

Active spells: Water Walk, Motivational Speech (Gareth, Javeq, Araxis, Thorin, Silvena), Fly, Spirit Guardians at 4th

Move Fly return to ship. Position immediately above Derek and closer to the edge of the deck.

Action Cast Sacred Flame or Ready if he doesn't see it

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)
Name
Spirit Guardians Wis DC 18 for half
4d8 5,7,2,4
Perception to spot dragon
1d20+9 17
Sacred Flame Dex DC 18 for none
3d8 6,6,4