Act 3 - Kolbakr's Domain

prophane

Ozemur the Skald

Armor Class 14HP: 15/15 | Abilities | Saving Throws |Weapons | Skills & Abilities |Spells | Encounters | Items |Money

image.png.2cfeb15fb0a614bca7433aeb525061d0.png

"If it comes to it." Ozemur nodded and lighted a new torch.

Then added in Angolish:

Ozemur was not sure the man understood the words, but was still convinced he did not need any encouragement anyway.

The grating sound echoed through the corridors and the skald froze in place listening. He did not move letting Yngvildr search quietly first.

OOC .

Valthjofr.png.9a2e94f38ad617fb5941c662afbf5a01.pngValthjofr God-Marked

HP 11/11 | AC 12 | Save vs. D11 W12 P14 B16 S15 | Skills | Move 30' | Attacks

"You will protect him too, Yngvildr," says Valthjofr sternly. "As shall we all," she continues in a lighter tone. "You were half an Angol yourself when Draengr Thar found you, if I recall. We will aid this man and return him to our village. We may even make him one of us, if he wills it."

Posted (edited)

image.png.ff3b013bf1c56bbe67d670afb46d2357.pngimage.png.07e7ead8c5fff17ab9d68f8a1c366023.pngYngvildr moves swiftly toward the other passage that leads out of the other side of the chamber and catches a glimpse of... something. As best as she can make out, two figures dressed in ragged clothing quickly moved out of sight as she approached.

Meanwhile, the man looks around, wild-eyed rambling on in the tongue of the Southlanders as Ozemur prepares another torch before the other one finally goes out. As if on cue, the stranger's voice trails off, disappearing into the darkness.

A new torch flares up in Ozemur's hand, casting flickering shadows across the burial chamber.

image.png.aa165916124ad23cff2f3ec300572d16.pngOOC

Another burial mound chamber. This one has an exit on the far side and someone is cowering where the purple dot is.

Marching Order

1st rank: Yngvildr, Ozemurt

2nd rank: Æsbiorn

3rd rank: Reginleif, Valthjofr

4th rank: Falki

Exploration

Group Movement: 60' Turn (6' per minute)

Current turn: 8

Time elapsed since last GM post: 6m

Minutes until next turn: 10m

Light source 30' radius

Extra Torches Remaining : 4

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

spacer.pngspacer.png

HP 14/14 | AC 15 | Save vs. D12 W13 P14 B15 S16 | Skills | Move 40' | Attacks

Around the corner the scout saw something she'd hoped not see. Taking a step back into the room with the others, Valthjofr's words slapped Yngvildr.

"I...You can't...fine," was all she could muster in frustration. Her cheeks flared red in the torchlight. The young woman could feel the heat in her face. "I was...I'm not..." she stammered. "I was their slave, nothing more. But if the gods will it, I will heed your words..."

After getting a grip she added, "I think the dead lead us. I saw two more Reapers just now. They disappeared from sight as quickly as I saw them."

Reginleif the Unscarred

Armor Class 14HP: 13/14 | Abilities | Saving Throws |Attacks | Skills & Abilities | Features | Atk Bonus | Wealth

"Speech."/Thought.

image.png.a1acddc6a5be35dfa8065cd4d2152d7e.png

Furrowing her brow at the notion of trying to exit the domain of unlife they're wandering into, the shield maiden is skeptic to their chances of making it out with the Southlander. Finding it pointless to protest it with time being of the essence at this point she quietly concedes and gathers her waterskin back and lets him join the rank and file. "What he says is concerning but given what we've seen so far, not entirely surprising. Mentions of giant claws in his ramblings... It recalls what we saw on the shore with the massive paw marks." Taking a moment to think. "We should best be moving on to new passages, then. This poor guy isn't in the best of shape and the sooner we can help him and the others the more actually live to see another season." Looking to the poor afeared man she speaks in broken Southlander while motioning to the rear of the formation the party was maintaining.

OOC:

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)

Ozemur the Skald

Armor Class 14HP: 15/15 | Abilities | Saving Throws |Weapons | Skills & Abilities |Spells | Encounters | Items |Money

"Then let's follow them." Ozemur with the torch in hand stepped forward.

If Yngvildr decides to keep back for a while, he will lead the way. If she keeps at the head of the column, he simply follows.

OOC .

spacer.pngspacer.png

HP 14/14 | AC 15 | Save vs. D12 W13 P14 B15 S16 | Skills | Move 40' | Attacks

With a nod to the skald, Yngvildr pressed on quietly into the room ahead. Her plan was to follow the two figures she'd seen, unless something else took her attention.

Posted (edited)

image.png.ff3b013bf1c56bbe67d670afb46d2357.pngwights.png.67bbe0ad07473b57eb50333903d9b051.pngThe group pushes onward, following the two figures. The mumbling Southlander follows with a little urging, though he does not seem to be paying attention to where he is or where he is going.

The path once again descends a bit from the burial chamber and after a short distance, comes to a three way intersection. Straight ahead, it appears that the tunnel climbs up into yet another barrow mound. To the right, the tunnel seems to widen, though not like the burial mounds.

Just at the edge of the torchlight, two figures can be seen standing. The appear to be dressed like Reavers, but that is where the similarity ends. They are facing away, but then turn and raise their hands above their heads. Blackened fingers end in sharp claws. Sickly yellow specks of light can be seen glowing from their sunken eye sockets. Stringy white hair falls from dead skulls. Their skin is thin and white and covered in strange tattoos and markings, similar to the body found nailed to the tree. These are clearly some sort of walking dead! The lifeless warriors open their mouths, yet no sound emerges as they advance!

image.png.f938fec453cde0ad0f35ead5dc12419d.pngOOC

Uhoh! it is time for battle! They are 25' away! Most of you have a move of 30' or more. If you advance quickly enough, they could be engaged in the wider part of the tunnel and more than two might be able to fight.

Marching Order

2nd rank: Æsbiorn, Southlander

Exploration

Time elapsed since last GM post: 2m

Minutes until next turn: 8m

Light source 30' radius

Ozemur the Skald

When the light touched the figures ahead, there was a momentary pause from the skald. "Abominations..." Whispered Ozemur with more sadness in his voice than contempt. "The one who did it to you will pay."

Right now, however, the group had to outrun the attacking now-monsters if they wanted to engage in a proper battle. "Forward!" With that call, Ozemur ran toward the group of undead stopping only to throw his axe at the closest monster.

OOC . I think Ozemur's movement is only 20' (according to his CS). He can not reach them but can throw the axe.
Name
Initiative (?)
1d20 20
Attack (+1 for close distance):
1d20+1 8
Damage:
1d6 2

Valthjofr.png.9a2e94f38ad617fb5941c662afbf5a01.pngValthjofr God-Marked

HP 11/11 | AC 12 | Save vs. D11 W12 P14 B16 S15 | Skills | Move 30' | Attacks

"Behold my birthright! Bones o' the earth!" She pulls out her bone whistle and blows sharply on it, and then begins beseeching Odin in a wild prayer.
Name
Initiative?
1d20 16
Turn undead 60% -5% per HD
1d100 24
HD
2d6 4,4

image.png.ff3b013bf1c56bbe67d670afb46d2357.pngwights.png.67bbe0ad07473b57eb50333903d9b051.pngBrave Ozemur rushes forward and flings his axe at these unliving foes but the spinning weapon flies wide and thuds into the floor beyond creatures. The eerie and raspy notes of Valthjofr's flute seem to be absorbed by the earthen walls of the tunnel, though the undead beings facing the group appear to be wary of it.

It is not clear what effect the bone whistle/ turning had had just yet. Once all the PCs have gone, then I'll run the NPCs and then the undead so you can see their reaction.

Acted:

Ozemur is about 5' from the undead.

Valthjofr is 25' away

Not Acted:

Yngvildr, Reginleif, Falki, Æsbiorn, Southlander

Marching Order

Exploration

Light source 30' radius

Reginleif the Unscarred

Armor Class 14HP: 13/14 | Abilities | Saving Throws |Attacks | Skills & Abilities | Features | Atk Bonus | Wealth

"Speech."/Thought.

image.png.a1acddc6a5be35dfa8065cd4d2152d7e.png

In what comes to something of a shock to Reginleif her first emotion isn't sadness. It's anger. Her people's very being perverted into something so foul! The shieldmaiden lifts her shield and puts herself next to Yngvildr and readies herself to charge forward and pierce her fallen brethren down. A feat they would no doubt find commendable and necessary. "Such horrid unrest! We must see to it that our men get the proper burial they deserve." Dashing forward and thrusting her spear she hopes to connect.

OOC:

Name
Initiative
1d20 6
Spear
1d20 9
HD
1d6 3

image.png.ff3b013bf1c56bbe67d670afb46d2357.pngReginleif charges forward and thrusts her spear at her foes, but misses, which only makes her angrier!

Once all the PCs have gone, then I'll run the NPCs and then the undead so you can see their reaction.

Acted:

Reginleif - in melee

Ozemur is about 5' from the undead.

Valthjofr is 25' away

Not Acted:

Yngvildr, Reginleif, Falki, Æsbiorn, Southlander

Marching Order

Exploration

Light source 30' radius

image.pngFálki the Red: Fighter, Smith, Shipwright

AC 14HP: 19/19 | MV 20' | Abilities | Saving Throws |Attacks | Skills & Abilities | Equipment

Falki tries to close up the range to the enemy as best he can with the rest of the Party in front of him. He tries to keep his head about him, though, resisting the battle-lust, and attending to the rear with a glance.

Edited based on GM's clarification of what Falki can accomplish this round:

OOC:

• moves to 10' or so to allow himself to close next round if need be.
  • I'm assuming that Falki cannot (i) move; (ii) equip a throwing axe and (iii) throw it all in one round? Falki was wielding his "long axe" at the start of the round.
  • Moves to 10' range of a target - this is just within "short" range for a hand axe.
  • Maintaining one hand on his long axe; Falki draws and throws a hand axe at that target.
  • I guess I'll roll damage, though another pitiable roll (my last four attack rolls in various Games have been: 5; 3; 4; 11). I doubt these things are as weak as AC = 8 (thinking in DAC terms).

Name
Thrown Axe Attack
1d20 11
DMG (for what it's worth)
1d6 4

image.png.ff3b013bf1c56bbe67d670afb46d2357.pngFalki watches as his axe spins through the air and strikes one of the vaguely familiar "things." It leans back, mouth open in a silent scream and the axe remains embedded deeply in its unliving flesh.

With the +1 for Short Range, that is a hit!

@Malkavian Grin

After Yngvildr takes a turn, I'll run the NPCs and then the undead so you can see their reaction.

Acted:

Reginleif - in melee

Ozemur is about 5' from the undead

Falki about 10' from the undead

Valthjofr is 25' away

Not Acted:

Yngvildr, Æsbiorn, Southlander

Marching Order

Exploration

Light source 30' radius