Side Quest: Darkness on the Ship

wrathgon

The Captain of the Wandering Soul finally reforms in his hidden compartment on the ship. His Soul gem sits next to him he checks all is fine with its protections both magical and tech. His equipment and staff are nearby and he equips them grasping his godly weapon he feels comfort from it, even though he was no longer a god, the power stored inside the staff is all that is remains of his time as a being of great power. That is a lie, he was a small fish in a very big pond, he is far better off now, not having to follow the rules of not interacting with mortals.

Mortals are great tools to mold into weapons. His crew has come a long way since he picked them out on their Earth. Giving them a purpose honed their skills and now they are almost ready to take on real threats. Even the ones picked up along the way have proven to excel. Course their has been failures and losses, life is not without loss, but only a handful has shown interest in joining him in undeath.

It would be so much easier just to kill them and bring them over, but then i have to constantly control them and it would not allow them free will to continue on our quest, they would spend all their time trying to plot against me.

He grins that still may happen when each of the crew become immortal in their own ways, but he will deal with that when that bridge has been crossed. He phases through the wall, the only way out of their area, into the main hall of the ship.

Its dark... why is it dark... He floats down to engineering, if he was alive he would have noted the chill in the air and the lack of air, phasing again he enters into the room, also dark.

While he had some skill at repair, he was no Zora but he checked access panels. All dark.... when they left all was working ,had someone breach the ship and stolen our White Hole Power Source? He digs into the wall where it is housed and pulls the housing out. Something is not right... It normally pulses with power, when held there is nothing. That is impossible! it cant be sniffed out its a bloodily hole in time and space!

Unless that bastard Red Wizard set it to expire after some time went. No he was many things but not one to break his word. Well luckily we had kept the ion drive the spiders had in just in case we needed a back up. He start the process to install it to get power back onto the ship.

Interesting the Bubble still was functioning even without power, strange how a by-product of the D drive engines still could function without any main power, technology was so infuriating. Without understanding you could not even turn the damn stuff on!

I better go grab Samuel will need to help to assess the damage to the ship and get it ready for the crew. We wont be flying around in the ship but its a good base to meet without nanomachine eyes on you.

Then it hit him, without power their nanoshield was down, the ship WAS full of them. Getting them out and securing the ship was next step.

His personal Teleporter warms up and in a instant he was next to Samuel.

"Ship loss power, we need to get things working and clear out the nanobots before any info is sent back to the AIs, you ready." That was not really a question but a statement.

Samuel has had 7 days since battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel as alway looks on his master with distain when he shows up. Still worried about both his bloodbath and charge he travels without a word.

He arrives in ship and immediately feels the cold and relies on his vampire sight.

" captain level 3rd room is where they were stored." Capt says without being asked.

Samuel rushes off flies up the elevator tube and into level of the ship he spends most if his time since waking up as a vampire. He pulls open the door as still no power and sees the two pods.

Walking to joy pod he already knows what he sees. Without power her pod would have limited power she just never woke up.

His new vampire fared better but can see he is deep hibernation from lack of food if he woke him up without food things would go bad. He quickly left the from to find some victims to feed on.

Using the Caption personal teleportation device, he transports to one of the human cities he has visited. Hunting for a few snacks, he contacts his crime boss buddy and get names of two rival gang members. Samuel did not feel that ending them was unfair in the grand scheme of things. He was easily able to overcome them as they finished their meal and were walking home. The device did have enough power to get all 3 of them back. He kept them asleep as he moved them into the room he shared with his charge. It was going to be messing and feral when he woke up not feeling well for some long.

When he wakes there is madness in his eye, he quickly steps back and out of the line of sight. When he smells the 2 living bloodbags he is on them in seconds first tearing one apart spilling the life blood all over and getting little of it. When he realizes his mistake he takes the 2nd one much more carefully and drains them dry over the next few mins.

"Feeling better now?" Samuel asks. All he can do is nod, still weak for a long time without food.

For the next week, they worked on getting the ship livable, they got power and life support on, and the anti-nanobot system back up which flushes all the bastards out, was not many but 1 was too many in Capt's eyes.

He got everyone's anti nano boxes so when they needed to be invisible if they were caught with this alien tech it would be hard to explain so they would have to make their methods to protect against that. Also collected their gear, again anything from the ship found on them would single them out as alien so he would suggest replacing it with local gear but he can't command them, just strongly suggests it.

• 2 weeks later...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpg

Sam doesn't bother with lights when not necessary and moves through dark corridors, subconsciously monitoring his "child" and making sure it doesn't mess something up. He briefly wondered about how close this is to the feeling Captain has with him. He washed away those thoughts as he entered Old Spook's office, not bothering to knock as his intention was felt the moment he stopped at the same level.

He stops in front of Captain's desk and begins placing items on it, "Marine Officers Duelists Sword of the Rebel Corpse FleetLevel 10; Price 18,795
Hands 1; Proficiency Basic Melee
Damage 3d4 S; Critical —
Bulk L; Special analog
I made sure all decorations were removed and treated some parts with acid and laser so it seems both, used and second hand, I am pretty proficient with these kinds of weapons seemed discrete enough, given the place I go."

He adds a second object " Nanite Pistol-Scrapper classLevel 11; Price 25,200
Hands 1; Proficiency Small Arms
Damage 1d6 A; Range 30 ft.; Critical —
Capacity 10 nanites ; Usage 1
Bulk L; Special Deconstruct 3d4
, local make, construction tool turned weapon by the underground heavy hitters, one of messiest handguns on the black market, capable of putting down most of Infected, not all of them will stay down but handgun someone going there is most likely to have."

The third item is placed on the table " Needler Pistol TacticalLevel 1; Price Muster Out Bonus
Hands 1; Proficiency Small Arms
Damage 1d4 P; Range 40 ft.; Critical Injection DC +2
Capacity 8 darts; Usage 1
Bulk 1; Special Analog, injection
, local make, the military version of the standard medic tool, became popular as an assassin weapon among vaulters, not among Infected though. They are resistant to most local toxins...but not all not local ones, if they don't have a chemist to check all of my vials I should be fine, I AM doctor and most of the charges are curatives since I heard they lack trained medical personnel, surgeons most of all, several charges of my own creation should be able to permanently put down all but mine and your kind, on account of our second chances and I doubt I'd get to anyone coffin or phylactery in time, it would put them down for that long though."

There is a slight pause before the last weapon is placed on the table " Sonic Suppresor, HushLevel: 12
Price: 36500
Damage: 2d8 So
Range: 40 ft.
Critical: Stifle
Capacity: 40 charges
Usage: 2
Bulk: L
Special: —
, not local, meaning I'll have to conceal it unless I want to answer a lot of questions, however, it is the ultimate assassin weapon, not only is its shot is silent it creates a bubble of silence so even call for help or body hitting a floor, issue while it is powerful enough to turn insides of almost anything into gelatine, as we both know that sometimes not enough. Best used in tandem with Needler, hit it with this in order you don't have to care about the noise of cries and body hitting the floor, then administer a dose of my toxin with the equally silent needle. Smushed insides will only speed up toxins spread. Anything would be permanently dead within 5 seconds of the Needler shot. Anything besides three registered forms of Vampires, while our reconstitution ability is not confirmed about the first two kinds, it is more than confirmed for the third, most powerful kind."
There is no fear in Samuel's voice but morbid fascination. "I'd advise not moving in on them before the coffins are located."

He lays down the last object, a small suitcase " Thermskin 3Level 10; Price 21,800; Category Light
EAC Bonus +12; KAC Bonus +14; Max. Dex Bonus +5
Armor Check Penalty —; Speed Adjustment —
Upgrade Slots 3; Bulk L
, local make and customized, I assumed this action has parts of a covert mission hence the armor that can be worn under the thicker clothing, while not as robust as some other counterparts its stealth, speed, and sensor arrays make up much in that department. The customization I had to compromise on was the change of the hard case helmet for a lighter and more flexible material. It will still stop attacks, only the wearer would feel the impact more, thankfully most of my pain receptors are dead as Dodo. I was more interested in its system array which is incorporated in full. The last benefit is, as I said, that I can wear it under the clothing in situations where other armors would have to be removed, here only the modified helm would have to be left behind increasing my survivability overall."

"Lastly I planned to hide my nanite disruption device inside myself by surgical means, I was interested in your opinion on where would be best hidden if I was scanned for some reason?"

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Captain shurgs " if you're being scan it's too late, I would rather the option to dump the alien tech that would reveal me then have it inside me but that your choice. Have you checked when you gaseous form it would stay it's one thing I wonder about if Enoch get cybernetics working for us"

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgSamuel nods "I've considered form-changing and decided to fast for a few days then wrap it into something and place it in my large intestines right under the first valve after the stomach, I am only certain that food remains in, so anything with place with food would be safe. I have no large bowel movements anymore so that wouldn't be an issue, and for everyone else, it would look either as a bowel obstruction for those not knowing what I am or a kink went too far...I'll add to its shape so it looks more...ergonomic. Planned to use some softer, in relative terms, material that would be resistant to various things it might come in touch done there but not obscure its function, still deciding on the shape and material. If you think that wouldn't work and ditching would be the better option then straight out stomach would be a better idea I can disembowel myself in seconds a drop it. The wound would close by the time we reach the scan device."

"Satisfied with the other equipment? I'd pack it in advance so it is ready on short notice."

Captain doesnt stop reading through the book he has in his hand and shrugs again "Crew is old and smart enough to mitigate their own risk factors i wont be the one that will be hunted if found out. Am starting to think the vaulters are delaying the end of vote to put defenses in place, i dont see them joining open society from the reports i was getting while there."

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgSam snorts "Don't play me Old Man, you never really expected them to do so. Did you see the guards higher-up vaulters employ? They have better hardware than the military, I'd bet training on average too" He looks at his weapons "If I was dumb enough to try and face tank them, about the squad of them would be enough to turn me to ashes. Even if I used my heaviest armor and weapons on top of my abilities. The plan was always to keep unwashed masses out of their walled garden."

He looks at his Master over the glasses "I was not aware you still had interest there one way or another. Plan to use Infected as a pawn in some way?"

The question has him put the book down and fold the ancient page of the book like it was library book. "They may have a use both here and off world. Time will tell. First we need see what we got to work with, then decide what they can be used for. Mortals dont always see lost clauses, and leaders are not the ones that fight wars."

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgTaking the lack of any comments as the lack of complaints about stuff, Samuel picked up his equipment, thinking should he change or add something. Maybe even drop something, but that was just the way his brain worked, it was likely something would change but this was the core of stuff he'd carry. Any item change would not extremely change it. "Then I'm ready to leave as soon as you give me the briefing." There is a pause "I'm not taking Spawn with me." The trooper had a name but Sam called him Spawn for whatever reason. "He is not ready for a mission of this complexity. If it was a straight attack where his combat training would come in handy, maybe. But no refugee comes with a bodyguard, especially not one that alien. I plan to feed him one more time and return to sleep, I'll begin to educate him once we get our momentum back."

Almost as an afterthought, he adds "If there are workable facilities at that place I plan to work on another gene project in my off hours. Human longevity treatment. Favor for Enoch, if successful it could buy him several hundred years to finish his real objective. If not successful..." Samuel shrugs "Botched aging gene therapy could be weaponized in many lovely ways, exposure to agents that age a person half a millennia in a few days could be a lovely way to poison someone mortal, especially since they would feel no ill effects on the first day until they are unable to get up next morning because they aged decades during a good nights rest. Any complaints about that? Enoch made reinforcements to my coffin way back, basically coating old oak with titanium. Likely the only reason it's not a bunch of splinters thanks to Jake's gentle landing. I do owe him to at least try and give him a few centuries."

The captain had already moved on to something else, reading a data pad and flicking his bone finger to move the pages on. "No brief explore and investigate leadership structure with anything of interest in who is in charge now. " When asking about Enoch he says, " They all already had long life gene treatments, if that is like magic and spells i would be surprise if could be treat again," Shrugs showing he both does not care or know, " Help him or not as long a does not impact core mission.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgThere is a brief pause as their minds brush against one another like two poisonous animals, with Samuel backing away as usual. But there was a toxic relationship if ever was one. Samuel takes off his needless glasses, and while freshly fed his eyes glow slightly red. "That's business between you and the others, I have nothing to do with it. Simply polite inquiry from your humble servant. Gene therapies they had, can't have anymore because they damage connecting tissue of the genes. That is a reason they are called Life Prolonging Treatments and not Immortality Vaccines. I plan to try and stimulate their genes to regrow damaged parts back, hence giving them a chance at a fresh cycle of treatments. The thing that is not impossible, there are lifeforms from Earth that have naturally resistant genes. What prevents progress is one of two things that always prevents progress. Money or Ethics."

"In the case of this gene study, to my great relief, is a second one. Some frown on genetic manipulation when Human experimental subjects are necessary for success. Fortunately for me, you...blessed me, with a different perspective on ethics. For example, why should I fret about experimenting on zealots who would kill me just for existing?" Samuel pretends to clean his glasses and then returns them back on, his eyes getting back to their normal blue color. "Contrary to popular belief I am not devoid of morality or mercy, I just don't have enough left to extend it to everyone. So do I think there will be mistakes until I finish my studies? Inevitably, we learn from our mistakes after all. Will those mistakes cost some lives? Most certainly. But the regeneration of that specific part of the Human gene was never accomplished, and if rectifying that costs a few Human lives, well that is a sacrifice I'm ready to make. You will kill more in your schemes, and I doubt you lose metaphorical sleep over it."

Samuel's demeanor changes as someone flips the switch, returning to the obedient guy who entered the room, he cheeks the watch. "I'll leave tomorrow, roughly around noon, local time, after I feed and put my child to sleep. I'll notify you upon my arrival, first reports should start arriving within three days after that. Send a message if you have special requests after reading reports." He moves toward the exit.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgSamuel actually has the hand on the handle when he witnesses the spell and stops immediately, weaving one of his own before dismissing it. "How? Because you cleared the ship of nanites? Will I be able to do spells on the mission as long as I have this neutralizer with me?" He hated being this fascinated, knowing the Captain could feel it but the only spell he was able to do since they arrived was minuscule cantrip on a bat and it set his finger on fire.