OOC Chat

I'm a bit confused here about how to allocate the 24 points of culture. Do we divide those 24 points across 15 categories (5 for the capital, 5 for the small city, and 5 for the town)?

35 minutes ago, hakootoko said:

I'm a bit confused here about how to allocate the 24 points of culture. Do we divide those 24 points across 15 categories (5 for the capital, 5 for the small city, and 5 for the town)?

I could probably word that more clearly.

The idea is that you determine the stats for your entire realm (spend 24 points on the 5 stats: Martial, Commercial, Agricultural, Industrial, Artistic). Then, in the next step, you determine which settlements are providing which stats. For instance:

You spend 9 points for your realm to have level 4 agriculture. You could then assign 1 level of agriculture to your minor city, and 3 levels to your small town. Or 2 levels to each.

So let's say I buy Martial 3, Commercial 3, Agriculture 3, Industrial 2, Artistic 2. I could then assign Capitol: M0 C0 Ag3 I1 Ar2, Small City M1 C2 Ag0 I1 Ar0, Town M2 C1 Ag0 I0 Ar0. Are these the sorts of thing you're looking for? I'm guessing zeroes are allowed, because we can't afford to buy threes in each stat to spread around ones to all the settlements.

6 hours ago, Delorphin said:

What exactly do the attributes mean? Without the mechanics tied to the stats it makes it hard to figure out how much to allocate.

The attributes are an abstraction of the strength of your realm in the various areas. When taking an action or resolving an event related to those attributes, they'll give you a proportional bonus to a roll.

Since the emphasis is going to be on roleplaying and story, the focus right now is on the concept rather trying to make the strongest realm. I will however add descriptions as to what each attribute might effect in case there is any confusion.

Edit: Under the rules tab, I added some brief thoughts about the stats. As a side note, I alluded to it in the preliminary info topic, but I expect the game to grow and change. If the people that end up playing want to add/adjust stats, I'm fully open to it.

So this game seems interesting to me since its the sort of thing I like to run and its nice to just be a player. :)

That said, how close are you to final mechanics for creation? Right now they seem basically a 1d20 (or whatever dice) + mod sort of situation so if that is the case, I can work with that.

If more is planned, I probably want to hold off on a concept until I know the mechanics work for it since I tend to like magic-heavy nations which tend to be governed heavily by the rules of that sort of thing.

Obviously, if no rule support, I'll just write some fluff to make my stats work that way but I'd rather know how things are gonna go before I do that.

Second part, is this gonna be 100% forum based or are you planning an OOC discord?

EDIT: I see its for accepted players for the Discord, so you can ignore that question since that'll come up if I get accepted (or not)

Edited by ChaosCircle (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ChaosCircle said:

So this game seems interesting to me since its the sort of thing I like to run and its nice to just be a player. :)

That said, how close are you to final mechanics for creation? Right now they seem basically a 1d20 (or whatever dice) + mod sort of situation so if that is the case, I can work with that.

If more is planned, I probably want to hold off on a concept until I know the mechanics work for it since I tend to like magic-heavy nations which tend to be governed heavily by the rules of that sort of thing.

Obviously, if no rule support, I'll just write some fluff to make my stats work that way but I'd rather know how things are gonna go before I do that.

Yeah being a player is nice 😄 My goal with this was to spread the burden of GMing, so we each can take a little and no more than we want.

Essentially yeah, stats + dice is all I've done so far. Having said the above, once players are chosen I am open to input on adding/modifying the mechanics a bit and adjusting characters/realms accordingly - that's why all I'm looking for at the moment is a basic concept.

Regarding magic, I mentioned in the preliminary doc that it will start out as stock medieval. So any magic will come out of the story, and all realms would start on relatively even footing once it is discovered. So you could just fluff your people up as those who would eagerly adopt the supernatural.

I'm with @ChaosCircle on this. I too like Magic-orientated nations.

With what you posted before, I thought that magic would come about in some way and that it would be a mad scramble to obtain, whilst obviously condoning it perhaps.

I've finished by nation, given it a little flavour by adding in some cultural and religious beliefs. as well as aesthetics in design and feel.
(if anyone wants to use it in their own fantasy games please feel free!)

16 minutes ago, 8w_gremlin said:

With what you posted before, I thought that magic would come about in some way and that it would be a mad scramble to obtain, whilst obviously condoning it perhaps

Yeah exactly. I tend to prefer fantasy with some level of magic too. But I thought it would be simplest to start without, and then it will be fun to see how everyone reacts to it and races to obtain it like you said.

True that.

For anyone who's already started on this and might miss that I modified it, there is an updated disclaimer on the overview and application page:

Disclaimer:

While I will act as a moderator, there will be no fixed GM. I am looking for this to be a highly collaborative game with players who are willing to contribute and go with the flow. Be aware that the rules are minimalist and not locked in stone at the present, and no setting work has been done.

We all like magic, but I think we should try this concept out for a bit without to see how it's going. We can add more complications later.

Almost done with my app. I cannot believe how terrible my grammar was yesterday when I typed all this in. I'm normally better than that.

Has anyone else had trouble with color on this template sheet? I kept trying to change red to black and it wouldn't work, so I had to delete red sections and retype them in black.