Round 4: The Mekh Gala of 2045

EmBark

10 hours ago, Stygian said:

“Exotic. What does that even mean?” Tuahine snorted softly in response to Alud’s words. “The struggle of the Soom is familiar. A different path from similar roots. I do not wish to make a mockery of that by distilling it into so cheap a word, used to describe trophies and playthings. It is your commitment to your people and your ancestors that I respect.”

The kanmarra seems to pause for a moment, as if introspective.. She then folds her arms, feet tapping rhythmically on the ground in a sort of physical tic, almost. “And in doing so, I completely miss the greater point. It is good to meet you, Alud Soom. Hopefully tonight provides a chance to learn who you are. I have heard tales that you are a storied pilot. Is there any truth to that?”

Inside the Gala

Alud drops the act in reply, crossing his arms behind his back and bowing shallowly, seemingly pleased that his attempt at satire has communicated something. "It is good to meet you as well, Tuahine Roa and and Antonius Console-Elect. Truly."

For the first time tonight, the angle allows a glimpse of his real eyes under the mask, unobscured by the layers of trickery and internal lighting. Just whites and two circles of brown. Just a man. They're able to chat a bit: Alud's stories of driving have more to do with crossing the desert than the death-defying stunts on the piloting circuit that made him a name in Mekhala, but he has stories from that too. "...interference at the Mouth threw the instruments awry, and Iris could not navigate the mirrored passages, so...I actually closed my eyes and navigated by feel. It sounds mad to say aloud, but it worked. Not well enough to catch up with Vile or the Dwarf, but it worked."

1 hour ago, BladeofOblivion said:

Inside the Gala

Alud drops the act in reply, crossing his arms behind his back and bowing shallowly, seemingly pleased that his attempt at satire has communicated something. "It is good to meet you as well, Tuahine Roa and and Antonius Console-Elect. Truly."

For the first time tonight, the angle allows a glimpse of his real eyes under the mask, unobscured by the layers of trickery and internal lighting. Just whites and two circles of brown. Just a man. They're able to chat a bit: Alud's stories of driving have more to do with crossing the desert than the death-defying stunts on the piloting circuit that made him a name in Mekhala, but he has stories from that too. "...interference at the Mouth threw the instruments awry, and Iris could not navigate the mirrored passages, so...I actually closed my eyes and navigated by feel. It sounds mad to say aloud, but it worked. Not well enough to catch up with Vile or the Dwarf, but it worked."

Inside the Gala

Antonius keeps up with the conversation with Alud Soom, supporting Tuahine in more ways than just his presence but with mild reminders to her to breath and relax. His sharp smile is genuine through the conversation and he chitters at Alud's stories.

"Amazing! Such a feat, the Jy'mar don't have a sport of racing in ships, we have no land or desert like Veehra as the skies are unending and toxic. Back in the Warrens of Utopia there was a sport the young play, it did not have an official name but I must set the scene. The Warrens are our cultural home, as the name implies its a mess of tunnels and pathways made through our rock - many of the deeper layers are uncharted ancient tunnels and tubeways from times before the war of bombardments. Many of us made a game of racing through these tunnels - to see if we could find shortcuts or navigate the unknown."

He rubs the orange fur by his ear and a wistful smile floats across his face.

"I spent many a day racing those mazes, it was surely a highlight of my childhood - and your daring stories remind me of it... sorry I rambled. It certainly isn't a feat like your races!"

Outside the Gala

@Lumaeus

Naturally, the stylish racer known as Velocipede Excelsior Of Many Numbers was mobbed by paparazzi as well.

"Mr. Excelsior! What say you to the doping allegations?"

"Mr. Excelsior! What races on Sansar have you been participating in since the Mad Dash?"

"Velocipede! What's the racing speed of an unleaded swallow?"

Inside the Gala

@SerakHawk

Ani-Quin stood next to Alud Soom. They were completely out of their depth when it came to political talk, especially political talk with crab-people and hamster-people. The talk of racing though, now that seemed more natural to them.

"That sounds like exciting racing in its own right, sir! Perhaps a future Mad Dash could be organized to instead go by way of such mazes, although I'm sure we could not be a challenge to you then."

1 hour ago, EmBark said:

Naturally, the stylish racer known as Velocipede Excelsior Of Many Numbers was mobbed by paparazzi as well.

"Mr. Excelsior! What say you to the doping allegations?"

"Mr. Excelsior! What races on Sansar have you been participating in since the Mad Dash?"

"Velocipede! What's the racing speed of an unleaded swallow?"

Confidence, as Excelsior boldly assumes, is always key. He's confident about that, at least. Though this is the first he's heard about doping allegations, he knows the only way to head them off is to use clever wordplay that won't be misconstrued.

"It's all true!" he calls out. "I didn't want to say anything, but there's no racer doper than me. Though that Ani-Quin kid has promise, I'll give 'em that much. I would absolutely implicate Ani-Quin in being dope."

All right, question two. Time to plausibly deny any convalescence, even though most of his time is still spent in a hospital bed due to what the doctors call "broken bones," whatever that means in normal language.

"Hah! What races haven't I been participating in? I think the real question, though, is how much have we all been participating...in the human race? Or Llort or elf or whatever?"

The last question, though, he's got a handle on. He does, after all, have sponsors.

"If it's unleaded, why would you even bother swallowing?" He grins and produces a can of Re-Leaded BubblePop™ "Staying leaded keeps me in the game. Not to mention, it sure is delicious." Owing to some old injuries, his esophagus is currently a tenth of its usual diameter. He spends and uncomfortable amount of time taking sips and swallowing until he gets through the can. Then he crushes it in his hand and tosses it to the crowd, assuming it will be kept as a treasure and resold.

1 hour ago, EmBark said:

"That sounds like exciting racing in its own right, sir! Perhaps a future Mad Dash could be organized to instead go by way of such mazes, although I'm sure we could not be a challenge to you then."

"Hey, Ani!" Velocipede heelwheels over to the two. "What's going on here? This guy giving you trouble?" Beat. "Or are we plotting how we'll show the world how vile Vile is next Mad Dash?"

He looks at Alud Soom

"No, seriously, which side are you on? Because depending on your answer, one of the things I said was a joke."

Snake News was live right at you! A horde of Snapparazzi waited outside the glitzy prestigious event, flying drones sparkling the air with rapid fire cinematic history making, and several burgeoning journalists crafting spells to amplify their voices or make themselves more noticeable as one by one the who's who of Tekhum filtered through.

"Is it true you've brought peace to Veehra?"

"Ani! Ani! What do you have to say to fans that think you've been recklessly endangered as a youngling!"

"Who brought the sassy child are they a plus one? Should children be allowed to participate in an event with alcohol like this?"

"Are the Bafatis going to remain neutral in future planetary battles?"

"Step aside VNN we've got REAL reporting to do!"

"What's your policy on glassing rebellions?"

The endless barrage slowly parted as the lady of the hour pulled in on her customized Sliprun Veehran spacecraft, a sleek chrome craft whose body was little more than a giant turbine with a crystal perfectly centered by some energy field, with two high handles and a secured life-chamber for the rider atop. The rider wore a black leather jacket, a long parted crimson skirt, and an emerald biker helmet painted and sculpted to look like a cobra with its hood stretched and fangs ready to strike. Wrapped around her was an anaconda with glitter and bio-paint applied to give it a mosaic appearance depicting the Mad Dash in all its glory. As the rider got off she removed her helmet and, surprising no one, revealed herself to be Valus Vile. Her face was half fresh and half-withered, a scar on the healthy side underlining her intensive eye, and hair like Veehran sand and moonlight mixed. Her eyes shone like the golden retinas of a python, though the wizened half of her face had dulled to a tarnished color.

She was tall for a Kildoran, her lithe legs propelling her through the crowd of reporters, and she removed her Foe-leather Jacket to reveal the Mekhala Mad Dash Champion belt. It was mostly the same though it had some skulls added to it and the "M" for Mekhala had been retrofitted to spin in place (With the inner arch of the M painted orange so that when it rotated upside down it showed a clear V for Veehra). She paused to take pictures with her belt for a minute and then absconded inside.

"Somebody get me and my snake a drink."

She spoke aloud to the air expectantly before looking around for prey. She spotted Ani Quin and Alud Soom and approached.

"Yes, how Vile AM I?"

2 hours ago, Tychris1 said:

"Yes, how Vile AM I?"

Velocipede Excelsior's eyes bug out briefly before he takes a breath. Flicking his cigarette dramatically away, he moves his foot to stub it out, almost slipping as his weight shifts to the other foot's wheeled heel. Eh. Probably won't be a problem. Let it smolder.

"I wouldn't know, Champion," (an attempt to tinge it with venom reads more as envy). "Takes one to know one, so why don't you tell us? All I know is that I didn't need to resort to dirty tricks to win the dash. The only virtues of a true racer are friendship, catchphrases, and enormous nuclear explosions. And it looks like I'm all out of enormous nuclear explosions."

He nods at what are surely his friends appreciating this new catchphrase he's trying out.

While the two racers bicker Antonius' is steadying himself on Tuahine's neck. Eyes locked onto the anaconda resting on the champion, his nose twitches his whiskers but otherwise his body is entirely still as he whispers to his partner.

"Its a snake - Tuahine, a snake. An actual live snake. I know they worship a giant one but.. hold me my shell its a snake."

Edited by SerakHawk (see edit history)

Snek Stories

10 hours ago, BladeofOblivion said:

Inside the Gala

The stories of the desert get the most attention from Tuahine. She asks a number of follow-up questions about how they maintain the vehicles there, and the things that Alud Soom has seen in his travels. To one who has never been free to roam a proper landscape, it is an utter novelty.

When they move to the topic of the races, she smiles. “Impressive, Alud. That kind of instinct isn’t something you can teach. I grew up with fighters from the moment I enlisted. It feels strange trading a cockpit for a command center. I miss it."

Hamster Panic

8 hours ago, SerakHawk said:

Inside the Gala

Antonius keeps up with the conversation with Alud Soom, supporting Tuahine in more ways than just his presence but with mild reminders to her to breath and relax. His sharp smile is genuine through the conversation and he chitters at Alud's stories.

"Amazing! Such a feat, the Jy'mar don't have a sport of racing in ships, we have no land or desert like Veehra as the skies are unending and toxic. Back in the Warrens of Utopia there was a sport the young play, it did not have an official name but I must set the scene. The Warrens are our cultural home, as the name implies its a mess of tunnels and pathways made through our rock - many of the deeper layers are uncharted ancient tunnels and tubeways from times before the war of bombardments. Many of us made a game of racing through these tunnels - to see if we could find shortcuts or navigate the unknown."

He rubs the orange fur by his ear and a wistful smile floats across his face.

"I spent many a day racing those mazes, it was surely a highlight of my childhood - and your daring stories remind me of it... sorry I rambled. It certainly isn't a feat like your races!"

3 hours ago, SerakHawk said:

While the two racers bicker Antonius' is steadying himself on Tuahine's neck. Eyes locked onto the anaconda resting on the champion, his nose twitches his whiskers but otherwise his body is entirely still as he whispers to his partner.

"Its a snake - Tuahine, a snake. An actual live snake. I know they worship a giant one but.. hold me my shell its a snake."

The sudden confluence of flashy, somewhat eccentric racers is enough to distract Tuahine from the conversation at hand—and honestly reminds the kanmarran of some of the stranger televised competitions of the Basu-Rahman Group. Were these people really playing at being heels and faces, as it were? Was she being pranked? Cameras might be getting broken, if so.

The whispered cry of Antonius snaps her back to this world. She reaches up and gently pats Antonius, half-shielding him from the anaconda. “Easy, dear one. I will not let anyone make a meal of you. And do not diminish yourself so. They are right. And well-spoken." Tuahine gestures to Ani-Quin, who did not seem quite so caught up in... some manner of rivalry?

"Racing through cramped, close quarters? Tests of agility as you navigate unfamiliar tunnels and try not to lose your way? Just because the arena is smaller, does not mean the victor is any less mighty."

"As you may have heard, I am Tuahine Roa, Navarch of the Eucrusian Fleet. And this is Antonius, Console-Elect. It is ...good meet you."
She offers to Ani-Quin.

Titania makes chatter with a few people, several in fact. By a good ways in she's managed to get some tasty delicacies and songs to list, and learned quite a bit about performance. All in all peeking at the eccentricities is its own thing, and she schedules in for later, not for now, some time to go Snaking Snews to chat it up. Probably things that she's not allowed to drink, but she doesn't mind. Her physiology doesn't allow her to get drunk like that.

A while later, a drunk Titania laughs it up with some of the racers and a painter, who is very good at high quality speed painting, managing to get some well drawn uniques done, and even to suggest some poses and images.

Striding from the Soom-Clan speeder behind Alud is a phantom swathed in smoke-grey robes, a silver mask obscuring their face. It stands ominously in the arched hatch, blank eyes watching the scion of Veehra make his triumphant entrance, and only once it has been dismissed as a bodyguard does it move again. Taking its first step onto the red carpet, a red-nailed hand emerged from its voluminous depths, snapping ivory fingers and summoning a spark from some hidden mechanism. At once, the gossamer threads of the billowing robe erupt in a flash of scarlet flames, sending spirals of silk-thin embers blowing into the void above. The silver mask falls, and revealed in the phantoms place is the statuesque figure of Naqi'a, Lady of Fire, the Thrice-Crowned Wings of Night. Starting from a high collar and sliding down full sleeves, her dress only parts in a long slit revealing the fangs of golden stilettos. It might have been a somewhat chaste affair, were the entire dress not woven of translucent snakeskin. Dyed a smoky grey, it gives the illusion of a liquid layer of smoky quartz cascading down Naqi'a's body from a gold and ruby approximation of a racer's vacuum collar. Red lipstick and explosive streaks of red eyeshadow frame her emerald eyes, bright with amusement, and as she bares her teeth in a smile she unleashes a trilling whistle. Something stirs in the still-yawning darkness of the speeder, and as Naqi'a laughs with gay abandon an enormous serpent emerges into the light. Making its way to Naqia's feet, it wraps itself in lazy coils until the scion of the House of Fire can recline against it as a sibilant throne, her long nails scratching idly at its underbelly.

Inside...

A flute of Ushere champagne in either hand, Naqi'a pierces the veil of fans and onlookers surrounding the impromptu reunion of Mad Dashers.

"Don't sell yourself short, Velocipede. You Sansarites squirrel away nuclear ordnance in libraries - I'm sure if we put you on the spot you could at least manage a fission device."

Moving next to Alud, she slides one of the champagne flutes into his empty hands.

"Have you told the Console-Elect what else you can navigate by touch?"

Edited by TheDarkDM (see edit history)

On 3/19/2024 at 12:38 AM, EmBark said:

Inside, the Gala

@farothel

Tiyansi saw the Duchess of the Bafatis Dynasty make her entrance with a full entourage of famous figures and she perked up. Now here was someone certainly worthy of her attention. She took a sip of her drink and moved off her seat, gesturing for a waiter to follow her with a number of drinks for the new arrivals. She floated over, landed a few steps away, and walked up to Selai Bafatis, giving a curtsey as well as she could in her dress.

"Duchess Bafatis, it is a pleasure to see you here at the Gala," she said. "I don't believe we've been within each other's sight before, though you may have met my zather the Consul. I am princess Tiyansi of the Llort Society Protectorate."

"Thank you, your highness," Selai said with a bow, "and thank you for inviting us to this wonderful gala. I hope it will go smoothly. And speaking of smoothly, do you plan on visiting Senarathne's demo of her painting technique? I can highly recommend it."

Posted (edited)

The Mad Dashers

@Stygian  @SerakHawk

Ani-Quin offers an awkward bow to Tuahine, obviously unused to the maneuver.

"It is an honour to meet you, Navarch. And you, Console-Elect. Truly, a race through tight passages and moving quickly through twists and turns is the most exhilirating and speaks highly to a racer's skill. Though I have participated in the Mad Dash more than once, I must say I admire my fellow racers here who, uh, proved very adept at it. Navigating the Mouth of the Emperor is no small feat."

They looked--up--at the Jy'mar Console-Elect specifically.

"Perhaps a future Mad Dash might be a narrow maze, so that your skills could be shown off to outshine us all."

@TheDarkDM

When Naqi'a joined them, Ani-Quin's face brightened. Here was now a royal who moved in these diplomatic scenes like all the others, but--like Alud--a fellow racer, someone they could understand.

"Ah, Naqi'a! How good to see you again."

They had last seen her after the Mekhala Mad Dash, but in all the celebrations and surrounding diplomatic affairs they had not been able to properly express their thanks for saving their life. Then again, how could they? To one whose family was so wealthy and powerful, a non-noble's thanks likely wasn't worth much, even from one famous and skilled. Perhaps she didn't even remember.

The Nobles

@farothel

Tiyansi smiled at the Duchess.

"You are most welcome, of course, Duchess. And I could hardly miss such a skilled painter's rare live performance so close to home. Especially at such high recommendation. You've brought quite the prestigious entourage with you."

Edited by EmBark (see edit history)

Soom Room Mad Dash Reunion

18 hours ago, Stygian said:

The sudden confluence of flashy, somewhat eccentric racers is enough to distract Tuahine from the conversation at hand—and honestly reminds the kanmarran of some of the stranger televised competitions of the Basu-Rahman Group. Were these people really playing at being heels and faces, as it were? Was she being pranked? Cameras might be getting broken, if so.

The whispered cry of Antonius snaps her back to this world. She reaches up and gently pats Antonius, half-shielding him from the anaconda. “Easy, dear one. I will not let anyone make a meal of you. And do not diminish yourself so. They are right. And well-spoken." Tuahine gestures to Ani-Quin, who did not seem quite so caught up in... some manner of rivalry?

"Racing through cramped, close quarters? Tests of agility as you navigate unfamiliar tunnels and try not to lose your way? Just because the arena is smaller, does not mean the victor is any less mighty."

"As you may have heard, I am Tuahine Roa, Navarch of the Eucrusian Fleet. And this is Antonius, Console-Elect. It is ...good meet you."
She offers to Ani-Quin.

1 hour ago, EmBark said:

Ani-Quin offers an awkward bow to Tuahine, obviously unused to the maneuver.

"It is an honour to meet you, Navarch. And you, Console-Elect. Truly, a race through tight passages and moving quickly through twists and turns is the most exhilirating and speaks highly to a racer's skill. Though I have participated in the Mad Dash more than once, I must say I admire my fellow racers here who, uh, proved very adept at it. Navigating the Mouth of the Emperor is no small feat."

They looked--up--at the Jy'mar Console-Elect specifically.

"Perhaps a future Mad Dash might be a narrow maze, so that your skills could be shown off to outshine us all."

When Naqi'a joined them, Ani-Quin's face brightened. Here was now a royal who moved in these diplomatic scenes like all the others, but--like Alud--a fellow racer, someone they could understand.

"Ah, Naqi'a! How good to see you again."

They had last seen her after the Mekhala Mad Dash, but in all the celebrations and surrounding diplomatic affairs they had not been able to properly express their thanks for saving their life. Then again, how could they? To one whose family was so wealthy and powerful, a non-noble's thanks likely wasn't worth much, even from one famous and skilled. Perhaps she didn't even remember.

12 hours ago, TheDarkDM said:

Inside...

A flute of Ushere champagne in either hand, Naqi'a pierces the veil of fans and onlookers surrounding the impromptu reunion of Mad Dashers.

"Don't sell yourself short, Velocipede. You Sansarites squirrel away nuclear ordnance in libraries - I'm sure if we put you on the spot you could at least manage a fission device."

Moving next to Alud, she slides one of the champagne flutes into his empty hands.

"Have you told the Console-Elect what else you can navigate by touch?"

@BladeofOblivion < RE Auld being involved in the conversation by ^ Naqi'a

Antonius seems to calm as Tuahine strokes his head, smoothing the fur down that was beginning to stand on end.

"Ap-apologies, While I like Snake News and it shows a fair amount of Sn-snakes on the channel it isn't the s-same as s-seeing one in person."

Returning the bow from Ani-Quin for both himself and Tuahine when she introduces herself he continues.

"It would be my honor to compete in some kind of maze event, perhaps I could navigate for My Shell here? She is the better pilot between us...."

His voice trails off as he notices another person joining the conversation group with a snake on their person. This time however Tuahine's hand was already close and he elegantly made his escape into her palm, grabbing her fingers to shield him. He barely makes out that Naqi'a addressed him by Title, and his diplomatic training is enough for him to respond from the safety of His Shell.

"The-they have not - but a - a Gentleman ne-never tells e-either."

Inside the Gala

Alud nods along amusedly at the antics of others and at responses to his gentle boasting, following along with sparse remarks and acknowledgement until accepting the champagne flute from Naqi'a - perhaps corroborating some part of his stories, without even looking at it. He only chuckles at Naqi'a's implication at first, though when Antonius appears to take it seriously his body language stills. "Tells? No.", he begins to play it off. "Such a thing is far better shown."

Over any protests, he lifts his head slightly and sticks his tongue out under the mask, maneuvering it to a hidden catch - there's a soft click, barely audible in the thronging party, and a tiny metal straw flicks out of a hidden panel in his mask. He proceeds to take a sip of champagne without lifting the face covering, much less removing it.

"Only the most intimate parties expect hosts or guests to eat or drink in front of one another, in my homeland - it is taboo to appear unmasked to strangers.", he adds with a chuckle, eyes flicking between the other nobles and Ani-Quin - he had strategically chosen to ignore Vile and Velocipede's...whatever they had. "Fortunately, I came prepared. Thank you, Lady Naqi'a, this is an excellent wine indeed."

A tall figure struts into the Gala, dripping with confidence and cinnakite. Morgaine, Cardinal Witch and heir apparent, enters the scene in a deep green form fitting floor length gown lined with hundreds of tiny amber stones. Around them floats an amber stone shoulder piece as if Morgaine themself has rings and a gravitational pull.

Behind them hurries a shorter witch who fusses over Morgaine's train and mutters to herself quietly. This witch also wears a deep green dress, but rather than having stones sewn into her gown, her jewelry is of a similar gravity-defying design. Despite being dressed more humbly, she still carries herself with graceful confidence. As creator of Morgaine's stunning attire, Witch Iona is widely known in Mek-01 as a genius in cinnakite research as well as fashion design.

After entering, Morgaine heads towards the snapparazzi, eager to show off their glittering self. Iona stops next to a member of the waitstaff, picking up a glass of wine and taking a delicate sip. She watches Morgaine as they pose and makes mental notes of possible stress points that will need adjustments in the future. She knows she should be mingling, but she can't help eyeing her work in action. Pleased with herself, Iona smirks into her drink and begins to relax and enjoy the party.