Round 4: The Mekh Gala of 2045

EmBark

20 hours ago, TheDarkDM said:

"Don't sell yourself short, Velocipede. You Sansarites squirrel away nuclear ordnance in libraries - I'm sure if we put you on the spot you could at least manage a fission device."

"What? No, they're not squirrels, they're durats. And they specifically told me I had to keep it in the car."

7 hours ago, BladeofOblivion said:

he had strategically chosen to ignore Vile and Velocipede's...whatever they had.

Wow, thinks Velocipede Excelsior. They're all so impressed that they can't even comment!

"Ani-Quin! Glad to see you're still with us."

Naqi'a reaches over to give her fellow racer a slap on the shoulder. The sharp points of her nails dig in for a momentary squeeze.

"With any luck the Industrial Coalition won't be sending any stray rockets into the race next time and we can concentrate on the important things."

Releasing Ani-Quin's shoulder, she brings her fingers together in a sphere before splaying them apart.

"Dusting Kylokians."

A trill of laughter follows, extinguished by a sip of champagne. While the racers have talked, Naqi'a's immature Mother Serpent has made its way through the uncertain crowd to coil once more into a makeshift throne for her. Leaning back against the salt-white scales, she idly taps the base of her glass against the snake, raising a pure crystalline toll.

"My pleasure Alud."

The tip of her tongue runs along her upper teeth as the Soom prince conjures his straw. It pauses in a strange smile when Velocipede responds.

"Then there's hope for this party yet."

Tiyansi & the Witches (Time Bubble)

@Bellossom

7 hours ago, Bellossom said:

A tall figure struts into the Gala, dripping with confidence and cinnakite. Morgaine, Cardinal Witch and heir apparent, enters the scene in a deep green form fitting floor length gown lined with hundreds of tiny amber stones. Around them floats an amber stone shoulder piece as if Morgaine themself has rings and a gravitational pull.

Behind them hurries a shorter witch who fusses over Morgaine's train and mutters to herself quietly. This witch also wears a deep green dress, but rather than having stones sewn into her gown, her jewelry is of a similar gravity-defying design. Despite being dressed more humbly, she still carries herself with graceful confidence. As creator of Morgaine's stunning attire, Witch Iona is widely known in Mek-01 as a genius in cinnakite research as well as fashion design.

After entering, Morgaine heads towards the snapparazzi, eager to show off their glittering self. Iona stops next to a member of the waitstaff, picking up a glass of wine and taking a delicate sip. She watches Morgaine as they pose and makes mental notes of possible stress points that will need adjustments in the future. She knows she should be mingling, but she can't help eyeing her work in action. Pleased with herself, Iona smirks into her drink and begins to relax and enjoy the party.

It is hard for any to not notice the entrance of the Cardinal Witch. Princess Tiyansi likewise takes note and walks closer to admire the gown and marvelous fashion artistry of it. She moves to stand by Morgaine, raising her glass as if in a toast to the creator.

"What a grand entrance. Is that your work that we admire so?"

The Mad Dashers

@TheDarkDM @BladeofOblivion @Tychris1

Ani-Quin gives Naqi'a a smile.

"You know what they say, an asteroid can crash, but it can never die."

They join her laughter about the Khylokians.

"If I was more of a military person like you or Alud, those Khylokians wouldn't stand a chance. You certainly punch in a high weight class. I'm all speed. Plenty of skill, but not a warrior. But next time..."

Ani-Quin looked in the direction of Valus Vile, with eyes on her belt.

"Next time I'll win that glory."

Despite All My Rage, I Am Still Just A Rat In A Maze

23 hours ago, EmBark said:

The Mad Dashers

Ani-Quin offers an awkward bow to Tuahine, obviously unused to the maneuver.

"It is an honour to meet you, Navarch. And you, Console-Elect. Truly, a race through tight passages and moving quickly through twists and turns is the most exhilirating and speaks highly to a racer's skill. Though I have participated in the Mad Dash more than once, I must say I admire my fellow racers here who, uh, proved very adept at it. Navigating the Mouth of the Emperor is no small feat."

They looked--up--at the Jy'mar Console-Elect specifically.

"Perhaps a future Mad Dash might be a narrow maze, so that your skills could be shown off to outshine us all."

@TheDarkDM

When Naqi'a joined them, Ani-Quin's face brightened. Here was now a royal who moved in these diplomatic scenes like all the others, but--like Alud--a fellow racer, someone they could understand.

"Ah, Naqi'a! How good to see you again."

They had last seen her after the Mekhala Mad Dash, but in all the celebrations and surrounding diplomatic affairs they had not been able to properly express their thanks for saving their life. Then again, how could they? To one whose family was so wealthy and powerful, a non-noble's thanks likely wasn't worth much, even from one famous and skilled. Perhaps she didn't even remember.

21 hours ago, SerakHawk said:

Antonius seems to calm as Tuahine strokes his head, smoothing the fur down that was beginning to stand on end.

"Ap-apologies, While I like Snake News and it shows a fair amount of Sn-snakes on the channel it isn't the s-same as s-seeing one in person."

Returning the bow from Ani-Quin for both himself and Tuahine when she introduces herself he continues.

"It would be my honor to compete in some kind of maze event, perhaps I could navigate for My Shell here? She is the better pilot between us...."

His voice trails off as he notices another person joining the conversation group with a snake on their person. This time however Tuahine's hand was already close and he elegantly made his escape into her palm, grabbing her fingers to shield him. He barely makes out that Naqi'a addressed him by Title, and his diplomatic training is enough for him to respond from the safety of His Shell.

"The-they have not - but a - a Gentleman ne-never tells e-either."

Ani-Quin's offer seems to pique Tuahine's interest, despite her partner's sheer terror at the nigh-mythologized predators of the Jy'mar being so close at hand. She does not seem to balk at Antonius, nor his attempt to shelter himself in her hand--it seems a particularly comfortable gesture as she draws him closer to her chest. "Perhaps we could assist in that endeavor. One of the festivals we've recently learned of in Uhra involves a more contact-oriented version of maze running. There are no dismemberments--or bombs, for that matter. But, the locals do seem to enjoy it. There are various puzzles that help you advance through--so it's not purely for the martially inclined. I would look forward to giving Antonius a chance to shine. That is, if you would be willing to collaborate."

"There's also mention of some underwater team sport in the works in New Chela, but as far as I am aware, there are no other Elect with gills.. so, I'm not certain how much traction it will get."

That's a Steep Fine for Overdue Books

On 3/20/2024 at 2:24 AM, TheDarkDM said:

Inside...

A flute of Ushere champagne in either hand, Naqi'a pierces the veil of fans and onlookers surrounding the impromptu reunion of Mad Dashers.

"Don't sell yourself short, Velocipede. You Sansarites squirrel away nuclear ordnance in libraries - I'm sure if we put you on the spot you could at least manage a fission device."

Moving next to Alud, she slides one of the champagne flutes into his empty hands.

"Have you told the Console-Elect what else you can navigate by touch?"

"..I wonder what the fine is for failing to return a nuclear device? How long is the checkout period?" Tuahine mutters as she picks a drink off of one of the roaming waitstaff. "Does the ArkHive send strongly worded letters to return delinquent munitions?" She seemed bemused by the entire implication--despite how alarming it had been at the time.

She turns to Naqi'a and Ani-Quin, on the subject of what she has long viewed as a death cult for the last nine years. "How does Mekhala feel about the Khylokians? I would compare them loosely to the Black Cloud hanging over the skies of Badal, but I don't know much of their politic--aside from the fact they brought a bomb into a library and raided a colony of sentient nanites. The latter doesn't bother me, really--but they seem indiscriminate in who they piss off."

Snake Got Your Tongue

20 hours ago, BladeofOblivion said:

Inside the Gala

Alud nods along amusedly at the antics of others and at responses to his gentle boasting, following along with sparse remarks and acknowledgement until accepting the champagne flute from Naqi'a - perhaps corroborating some part of his stories, without even looking at it. He only chuckles at Naqi'a's implication at first, though when Antonius appears to take it seriously his body language stills. "Tells? No.", he begins to play it off. "Such a thing is far better shown."

Over any protests, he lifts his head slightly and sticks his tongue out under the mask, maneuvering it to a hidden catch - there's a soft click, barely audible in the thronging party, and a tiny metal straw flicks out of a hidden panel in his mask. He proceeds to take a sip of champagne without lifting the face covering, much less removing it.

"Only the most intimate parties expect hosts or guests to eat or drink in front of one another, in my homeland - it is taboo to appear unmasked to strangers.", he adds with a chuckle, eyes flicking between the other nobles and Ani-Quin - he had strategically chosen to ignore Vile and Velocipede's...whatever they had. "Fortunately, I came prepared. Thank you, Lady Naqi'a, this is an excellent wine indeed."

Alud's display does not earn any particular alarm, but rather a slight chuckle in amusement. "Clever. So, if you don't mind my asking, Alud--why did you come to the Gala?"

On 3/20/2024 at 7:09 PM, EmBark said:

The Nobles

@farothel

Tiyansi smiled at the Duchess.

"You are most welcome, of course, Duchess. And I could hardly miss such a skilled painter's rare live performance so close to home. Especially at such high recommendation. You've brought quite the prestigious entourage with you."

"One tries," Selai said, "and we had more applicants than there were spaces available, so we were able to make some choices. The only problem was convincing my husband that we didn't need half the fleet and a brigade of marines to protect me. It was much more fun when I was young and could still just go out for a shopping trip. Now that always involves a protective detail and a motorcade and all that stuff. But I guess you know."

The Mad Dashers

@Stygian

Ani-Quin listens with rapt attention to Tuahine's description of this other kind of race. It all sounds so alien to them, but in a way that is exciting in its own right.

"Those sound really cool," they said, making good use of words likely uncommon in international gatherings the royals they were now surrounded by were likely more used to. "Are Uhra and New Chela places on Badal? I don't have gills myself, but I think I have some llort friends who probably could make it work, or I could wear a rebreather."

At Tuahine's question about the Khylokians, Ani-Quin grows thoughtful. They hold their chin and stare at the tiny undulating waves of wine in their glass.

"Some see the Khylokians as a whole as a problematic lot. I don't know much about their politics, but their government seems dangerous. I only really know a few individuals and have had a lot of experiences with individual Khylokians, but not really their military or their leaders."

They give a wry smile.

"I guess individually the Khylokians are cool, but not really good racers! Or good shots."

Ani-Quin points at a scar on the side of their face that disappears below their hairline, clearly left their by a blaster shot. They take a big sip of their wine, stopping themself from saying more.

The Nobles

@farothel

Tiyansi laughs softly and inclines her head.

"Ah yes, that's how it often goes, doesn't it? I am fairly free to fly wherever, but there are always guards nearby, hidden or in disguise. Who knows which of the attendants here might really be a bodyguard? One cannot tell on some days. All the same, I'm happy to attend events such as these, and I'm happy to see you do so as well."

Inside the Gala, the Venn Diagram of Dashers and Nobles

Alud laughed with his friend's delivery. There would likely be more Khylokians to dust in the future, it was true. They didn't seem to mind. He teased and interjected in the following exchanges, before Tuahine eventually asked him bluntly what he was doing here.

"Good Wine.", he lied with a modest hum of amusement. "No. I suppose it can't hurt to tell you. I am learning." He glanced away, gesturing to the grand hall as he continued to speak, champagne flute-hand shimmering in the light. "I love my homeworld, but it is a slice of the whole of Tekhum. Where my mother sees only outsiders and exploiters, I know there is far more here to see. To learn. I may be a Prince of Veehra, but I have seen how outsiders and greenlanders speak of the Clans. We must change that. And it's going to become worse before it gets better. The Crater's Basu-Rahman affiliates are burning as we speak; we are about to be the greatest villains Tekhum has ever seen in the eyes of those who believe what they see."

There's a sense that he's smiling under the mask, though no clear way to see that.

"So it is good to show another face."

On 3/20/2024 at 6:46 PM, Bellossom said:

A tall figure struts into the Gala, dripping with confidence and cinnakite. Morgaine, Cardinal Witch and heir apparent, enters the scene in a deep green form fitting floor length gown lined with hundreds of tiny amber stones. Around them floats an amber stone shoulder piece as if Morgaine themself has rings and a gravitational pull.

Behind them hurries a shorter witch who fusses over Morgaine's train and mutters to herself quietly. This witch also wears a deep green dress, but rather than having stones sewn into her gown, her jewelry is of a similar gravity-defying design. Despite being dressed more humbly, she still carries herself with graceful confidence. As creator of Morgaine's stunning attire, Witch Iona is widely known in Mek-01 as a genius in cinnakite research as well as fashion design.

After entering, Morgaine heads towards the snapparazzi, eager to show off their glittering self. Iona stops next to a member of the waitstaff, picking up a glass of wine and taking a delicate sip. She watches Morgaine as they pose and makes mental notes of possible stress points that will need adjustments in the future. She knows she should be mingling, but she can't help eyeing her work in action. Pleased with herself, Iona smirks into her drink and begins to relax and enjoy the party.

Inside the Gala, Tiyansi and the Witches

Later in the Gala, after disentangling himself from his previous conversation, Alud Soom stepped into the fray with Princess Tiyansi - who he recognized, even if he'd never spoken to her directly - and a pair of newcomers he did not. From their bearing (and presence) though it was clear they were persons of importance, so it couldn't hurt to say hello.

"Truly.", he added to the Princess' words. "There has been talk of the Peludo making strides in antigravity back home, but they're a practical people and have been using it primarily for railwork - this is the first I've seen of such principles applied to tailoring."

Edited by BladeofOblivion (see edit history)

What Sort of Sports Do Crabs Play, Anyway?
@EmBark

“Ah—forgive me. Yes. It is part of one of our newly annexed territories. They’re a lively sort, and some of their energy reminds me of the Dashers here. I sometimes forget that our aerostats are not as distinct to off-worlders.” The Navarch seems to think on the lack of information flowing out of Badal. Perhaps it would do to see if Snake News could get a Badalian charter. A matter for another time, perhaps.

“I will send the information to the Llort as soon as I have a more in-depth picture of what it looks like. I think it is their hope that it will catch on as more than just a local fascination. All I’ve been told so far is ‘floating water arena with goals.’”

Snaking Snews!

@BladeofOblivion

“Burning?” The news of Alud’s proposal seems to disquiet the kanmarra for a moment. She glances to Antonius, parsing her words carefully before she speaks.

“I can’t say that I’m sad about it. We have denounced their lack of morality in the past—made a show of knocking out communications when we took stewardship of the aerostat on which they have dug their tendrils into Badal.”

“But I had no idea the Soom felt so strongly.”With a smile of her own, Tuahine drains what remains of her wine glass. 

“…I do wonder what prompted you to tell me so openly. Have we engendered some trust? Or is it that you simply don’t fear anyone swinging back?” 

Don't Act Crabby, Act Sporty

@Stygian

"I have to admit that I have never even been to Badal." Ani-Quin smiles at the tall crab woman, and they realize in that moment what a unique position they've found themself in.

"A floating water arena with goals? Sounds interesting! I know the llort of the Society are very excitable regarding sports overall, not just racing. I'm sure they'd be happy to... to sponsor it or co-host it or, uh, something of the sort."

They could never have thought they would end up accidentally representing their country to a foreign official. If only their racing friends could see them now.

And fuck was it hard not to swear here.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:31 PM, EmBark said:

The Nobles

@farothel

Tiyansi laughs softly and inclines her head.

"Ah yes, that's how it often goes, doesn't it? I am fairly free to fly wherever, but there are always guards nearby, hidden or in disguise. Who knows which of the attendants here might really be a bodyguard? One cannot tell on some days. All the same, I'm happy to attend events such as these, and I'm happy to see you do so as well."

"It's good to be out of the palace for a week or so," Selai said. Then her bodyguard comes closer.

"Excuse me, Duchess, but the painter's exhibition is about to start. If you want to attend, we have to leave now."

"They're useful for something," Selai said with a smile, "keeping my agenda. Although you quickly become a slave to it. Alright, lets go. Are you joining us, princess?"

Finally, someone had answered her prayers. As Velocipede began to ramble about... something, others chirped up, filtered in, and continued to fill the air with noise. Noise noise noise. Annie had twisted to slide a platter down her neck and Valus Vile began quaffing an unholy amount of alcohol. A seamless chug whose sole attention was only briefly pulled from when Vile tapped on her spinning belt to taunt envious gawkers. Finishing the eleventh combined flute she (And her now also heavily lubricated Anaconda who leers at Antonious) burps loudly and punches Velocipede in the arm.

"Idiot! The only thing a winner has to worry about is WINNING. Mama didn't raise no punk! Little maze, Big maze, water air empty void of space WHATEVER Imma crush YOU and anyone else in that race. Theoretical pseudopsychic dream mindscape race? ALREADY CRUSHING IT"

She closed her eyes and put her two pointer fingers against the side of her head to properly channel her clearly adroit mental focus on this dream race.

15 hours ago, farothel said:

"Excuse me, Duchess, but the painter's exhibition is about to start. If you want to attend, we have to leave now."

"They're useful for something," Selai said with a smile, "keeping my agenda. Although you quickly become a slave to it. Alright, lets go. Are you joining us, princess?"

Tiyansi adjusts her tail, slung over and wrapped around her arm as it is. She gently pushes off the ground. She briefly questions herself. Which Elector was it again that peddled slaves on Veehra? She knew it was not Ishtahnos or the Soom-Clan, but... It escaped her.

"So they are," She replied to Selai. "I'd happily join you. I'm a lover of art and this should prove interesting."

She floated after the duchess, exchanging her empty glass for a new one in mid-flight. The rest of the Gala would certainly prove interesting indeed.

23 hours ago, Stygian said:
Snaking Snews!

@BladeofOblivion

“Burning?” The news of Alud’s proposal seems to disquiet the kanmarra for a moment. She glances to Antonius, parsing her words carefully before she speaks.

“I can’t say that I’m sad about it. We have denounced their lack of morality in the past—made a show of knocking out communications when we took stewardship of the aerostat on which they have dug their tendrils into Badal.”

“But I had no idea the Soom felt so strongly.”With a smile of her own, Tuahine drains what remains of her wine glass. 

“…I do wonder what prompted you to tell me so openly. Have we engendered some trust? Or is it that you simply don’t fear anyone swinging back?” 

Snakest Snense Snews?

"What reason would I have to hide it?", he replies. "Basu-Rahman signals go everywhere, wanted or otherwise. You would hear of it - and the wretched villainy of the Soom-Clan, of course - within days regardless. You have engendered trust enough not to slit my throat where I stand - it would ruin the tile, I expect."

Despite his words, he turns his back to gesture at one of the art displays - a great torch held by a hand upon a trail of light.

"Basu-Rahman is corporate rot. They would tell you it is the honed craft of a corporation's history that gives it strength, but it is little more than the shambling husk of an institution driven by the fungus of wealth. No humanity guides it anymore. The creature disgusts my mother because she sees them as offworlders; I see something far more insidious. Offworlders can learn and be learned from, just as anyone. But a corporation is not flesh or will. It is the invasive species of ideals."

From Tuahine's palm Antonius gives Alud a clap.

"Well said! It is as Prime Marcus says, he sanctioned them for their actions and I read their apology, full of blame but none of responsibility. Many more feel the same as you do sir - I certainly look forward to discussing what you find among their files - it is no doubt more proof of their rot."

Show this

21 hours ago, EmBark said:

"I have to admit that I have never even been to Badal." Ani-Quin smiles at the tall crab woman, and they realize in that moment what a unique position they've found themself in.

"A floating water arena with goals? Sounds interesting! I know the llort of the Society are very excitable regarding sports overall, not just racing. I'm sure they'd be happy to... to sponsor it or co-host it or, uh, something of the sort."

They could never have thought they would end up accidentally representing their country to a foreign official. If only their racing friends could see them now.

And fuck was it hard not to swear here.

"That makes two of us, Ani-Quin. Neither have I. I have only ever floated above it." Tuahine offers with some mild amusement. "But we would welcome the llort--and I'm certain that we could offer at least a fraction of the hospitality you've shown here. As for everything else... Well, I'll let them make their own pitch in time."

Show this

11 minutes ago, BladeofOblivion said:

Snakest Snense Snews?

"What reason would I have to hide it?", he replies. "Basu-Rahman signals go everywhere, wanted or otherwise. You would hear of it - and the wretched villainy of the Soom-Clan, of course - within days regardless. You have engendered trust enough not to slit my throat where I stand - it would ruin the tile, I expect."

Despite his words, he turns his back to gesture at one of the art displays - a great torch held by a hand upon a trail of light.

"Basu-Rahman is corporate rot. They would tell you it is the honed craft of a corporation's history that gives it strength, but it is little more than the shambling husk of an institution driven by the fungus of wealth. No humanity guides it anymore. The creature disgusts my mother because she sees them as offworlders; I see something far more insidious. Offworlders can learn and be learned from, just as anyone. But a corporation is not flesh or will. It is the invasive species of ideals."

"I don't know, I find your head suits you most on top of your shoulders, Alud." Tuahine replies in slight jest, in contrast to the darker turn in the conversation. "Life is not meant to be commoditized, packaged, and sold by the program. They do not have any ideals but control. What to think, when to think it. When to open your wallets, who to support--and who to shun. Thousands of channels dictating the beliefs of every sentient being. I find it distressing that some would even broach opening their doors in welcome."