The Haunted House IC

TheOldTraveller

Posted (edited)

Estella Peake smiles at Mud'dib.

''Well, it seems the company will take you on probation, sir. That is good enough for me."

She looks about at the others.

'' I suggest you all rest well tonight. I'd like to get out to the property fairly early tomorrow morning. Now, shall we sup?"

Edited by TheOldTraveller (see edit history)

Vestas Faircoin

Vestas too enjoys his meal along with his ale. He also indulges in a bath and has his traveling clothes washed at first opportunity. As he bathes and then awaits his warm (if still rather damp) clothes, the cleric converses with the washer folk in an attempt to discern the reason for the village's economic slump and what it would take for financial fortunes of Gauntcliff to turn upwards once more.

The party eats and drinks and makes plans...

THE NEXT MORNING

After a hasty breakfast in the shadowy Common Room and a thorough check of its gear, the group heads out on the road, running east from the town while the sun is still low in the eastern sky.

The path climbs hills and snakes along cliffs until it levels out for a long span along the seabrink.

An easterly blows in, bringing a light rain.

This section of the path looks little traveled; tough sea grass, a few shrubs, and stunted pines grow in the way.

The trail turns northeast with the cliffs, in places running perilously near the edge. It's a good thing the wind isn't stronger and blowing seaward.

By now, the sun has risen to midmorning height, and the party has hiked a few miles, like the gull wings. Up ahead, through a mist rolling across the seacliff, the Haunted House appears. Beyond a ruined outer wall and across derelict gardens, the house rises thirty or forty feet high, gray masonry and age-blackened timber, with gabled roofs, rusty red tiles in patches like old scabs, dark windows overgrown with vines, and narrow, high chimneys of twisting masonry.

As the party draws near, coming along close to the sheer drop seventy feet down to the crashing waves below, a gate in the six-foot high outer wall comes into view. The ornate metal portal stands ajar.

An earthen path, spotted with grass and moss but evidently passable, runs through overgrown gardens toward the house's front door.

The wall has tumbled in spots and is not very high, so an explorer could doubtless get in without using the gate if he wishes.

HAUNTED HOUSE.jpeg

baklunish.jpg.703b9494def9ebe481520317a6d2e476.jpg

Muad'dib scans the gate and the walls of the perimeter, then focuses on the overgrown gardens that are likely forming a second protection to the house itself.

He could attempt getting past the gate using the exploited parts of the walls, but he also considers: what may lurk in the green around the house?? Maybe going alone is not at all a good idea...

" if you agree I'd check the gate first...unless we are in possession of a key of some sort"

Show this

OOC: if that is locked Muad'dib could try lock picking it or get past the gate climbing the tumbled walls...but not alone!

Qwin_pic.jpgQwinsea Windjammer
CG Human | Fighter 2 | HP 15 | AC 5 | Longsword (5/2) hit+1, dmg 1d8+3

Qwinsea tells his companions,"If we are in no hurry to get in why don't we walk around the perimeter of the property along the wall? Lets see if it can reveal anything that we could miss if we just walked in through the front gate."

OoC: Can I use my Blind-Fighting as a detection sense while scouting around the perimeter? Something akin to Blind-Sense to notify me of a potential hidden someone or something?

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

IMG_0231.jpeg.b84b278acd54c5b4318e31f09912eade.jpeg

Yes, let’s search around a bit, see what we can see. Meet you all back here?

Marl begins quiet approach clockwise around the perimeter. Calloused hands checking the wall for hidden entrances, or simply gazing with hazel eyes for an obvious side door!

Hopefully we’ll find a safe and sneaky way in, Marl thinks to half-human self!

Posted (edited)

Crossing into the garden is easy enough, as the gate to the road stands ajar and the man-high wall has tumbled in spots.

Searching the grounds, the explorers find plenty of weeds and shrubs, grass, dirt, and a few furtive critters: mice, moles, and something small, quick, and gray that escapes before it can be identified.

The open well has water at the bottom, maybe fifteen feet down, with a narrow earthen and stone floor encircling the pool. It smells clean.

No bucket is in sight, but a bit of decayed rope lies in the tall grass near the well.

The party counts one door in the front, a second in the back of the east wing on a covered patio, and a third on the west side in the rear third of the lower floor. Checking, Muad'dib finds the doors are not locked.

Peeking through the dusty, broken panes and ivy-laced lattices of the windows offers glimpses of seemingly deserted interior rooms and hallways. Anyone peering in can see old furniture, a bit of rubbish, and piles of fallen plaster but no obvious threats beyond the parlous state of the floors- some sections are missing boards.

Seems quiet.

Edited by TheOldTraveller (see edit history)

Kerphi the Illuminated

Human Monk 2 | Stats | Languages | Spells Prepared

As the party circles the house, Kerphi keeps his eyes peeled for any heraldry, signage, writing, or other symbols around the property—he is a scribe by profession, after all.

Edited by Wolfglide (see edit history)

Vestas Faircoin

After Fang has gobbled down his third or fourth mouse without alerting on anything more serious, Vestas suggests, "What do you say we go on in? And we'll need to pick a March order."

baklunish.jpg.703b9494def9ebe481520317a6d2e476.jpg

"choose which way we'll get in, then I'll check for any hidden trap before we get in" Muad'dib looks around to get a hint of which could be the safer entrance