Season 3, Episode 5 - The Sinkhole

prophane

On 4/18/2024 at 9:57 PM, PlayerX said:

image.png.6c172d6dec6988834f8ea75327b3d193.pngQuill Dawnriser

HP: 13/13 || FP: 14/14 || Move/Dodge: 11/11 || Conditions/Effects:

Quill arrived back with a large (for her) pack. "I'm ready. I couldn't bring the wheelbarrow; I can't scout when I'm pushing it."

OOC: I have loaded Quill's gear into characters.

GM NOTE:

On 4/21/2024 at 6:14 PM, Caffeine11 said:

image.png.c43cb4aa63005617044070dee34a7056.pngDrezghl Half-Orc Mercenary

HP: 17/17|| FP: 16/16|| Conditions/Effects:

"I can help carry some of that stuff. It doesn't look that heavy. What all did you buy?", Drez replied.

Quill smiled.

"Yes. That would be wonderful. I have a shovel, mallet and a crowbar. If you would carry the shovel?" She replied.

OOC: I have loaded Quill's gear into characters.

GM NOTE:

Sister MariaMaria

HP: 10/10 || FP: 13/13 || PI: 5/5

Conditions/Effects: N/A

Maria had nothing specific she wanted to get, but was willing to chip in an equal share in terms of purchasing any excavation gear that was needed. As they talked logistics she reminded the group that Sunday was also able to carry some of their supplies with them to the Sinkhole.

Sister Maria was ready to go.

OOC: How much was spend on excavation gear?

"No problem. Anything else?" Drezghl said taking the shovel from Quill.

He walked over to Kelvan's beloved mule Carrot and fastened it to the pack saddle, along with a couple bundles of rope..

Edited by Caffeine11 (see edit history)

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.720f261c69279178cf5c0cca4fd66a44.png
Date: Moonday, Third of Growfest (festival week)
Time: just after 11:50am
Weather: Warming 76° and getting a bit stuffy
Sunrise/set: just before 5am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: everyone

image.jpeg.bf783c1dd0652c15f71b906a0c8fc114.jpegimage.jpeg.cb6e148b5418b52432c817e6b0cd6b12.jpegIt's nearly noon by the time the group gets everything together and ready to go. Dhiir estimates no more than a two hour walk. He goes over his directions again, to make sure everyone knows how to get there just fine. As everyone is gathering in the road outside of the Broken Oak, a well dressed Suel man, someone who has been seen hanging out in the common room of the Inn recently, steps up and introduces himself with a formal bow.

"Good morn, to you, my fine friends. My name is Wilmott, I hail from the more northern reaches of mighty Keoland. I apologize, but I have been unable to avoid overhearing your recent plans to delve into the sinkhole. Quite interesting, quite," he says, hmmm-ing to himself. "While I am not one to do such delvings, I am one that is occasionally interested in things found in such places. Of course gems and treasure are nice, but I am not interested in those things. I am interested in more, shall we say, interesting finds. If you come across anything that fits this bill, I would like to render my services as an identifier, consigner, or purchaser of such things." Getting some confused looks from some of the group, he speaks more plainly. "If you find anything interesting or unique, please bring it to me. I have been know to pay top coin for such things," he says with a smile.

OOC

Character Status

Drezghl HP 17/17|| FP 16/16|| Combat Move/Dodge 7/10 ||

Hinami HP 11/11 || FP 13/13 || Combat Move/Dodge 7/12 ||

Kelvan HP 9/9|| FP 12/12|| Combat Move/Dodge 6/10 ||

Maria HP 10/10|| FP 13/13 || PI 5/5 || Combat Move/Dodge 5/8 ||

Quill HP -/-|| FP -/-|| Combat Move/Dodge -/- ||

Zurana HP 20/20 || FP 15/15 || Combat Move/Dodge 8/12 ||

"Kelvan" spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 12/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0), Create Servant (1)

Kelvan gives the fellow a wide smile. "Wilmott, you say? Well met! I am called Kelvan, and in regards to the immediate plans of myself and my associates, well, sir, you have the right of it."

And of course you want first pick of the rare or unusual. Well you can have it. After me, of course.

He continues. "Identifier and purchaser? Well, that would be most convenient! We will keep our eyes out for such things with you in mind!"

"Now, we really must be going. We're 'burning daylight!' as you surfacers say."

Kelvan heads out the door.

Hinami Human Swordsmanimage.png.38b568c3535aa38c3f9cdc19bafeef34.png

HP: 12/12|| FP: 11/12|| Conditions/Effects: Will -1 (Basic Speed, 7)

Hinami follows Kelvan, looking over his shoulder and motioning "come on" to the others.

OOC

Location: The Broken Oak Inn, Burle, Viscounty of Salinmoor, Keolandimage.png.720f261c69279178cf5c0cca4fd66a44.png
Time: just before 2:00pm
Weather: Warming 79° and getting a bit stuffy

lake_nestled_between_wooded_hills_landscape_realis_00f80e73-3ad1-4ff7-a039-e318e326f8d6.png.e68ecb458956798741799a5d507ab8ea.pngHaving had enough talk for one morning, the group heads out, leaving Burle once more. The barkeep's directions are easy enough to follow and after nearly 2 hours of trekking, the group makes the turn beyond the hill, past the lake, down an old, rutted wagon trail.

Almost immediately, Kelvan perks up, one eyebrow rising higher than the other. Discretely, he scans the nearby terrain.

To the right of the trail, an overgrown field stretches about 20 yards to a shadow, rocky creek. Past that, a steep rocky incline rises about 20 or so yards to a tree- lined ridge. To the left of the trail, scattered trees, shrubs, and rocks cover the side of a sloping hill. There are any number of places that could provide ample cover anywhere between 3 and 15 yards from the road.

OOC

Character Status

"Kelvan" spacer.png

HP: 9/9 || FP: 12/12 || Conditions/Effects: Bless +1, Sense Observation (0), Create Servant (1)

Kelvan pinches the bridge of his nose. Of course they'd set up on the way to the sinkhole. Let's see if we can get through here without any fuss.

He raises his voice, and makes as if he is continuing a chat he'd been having all along. "Now, Drezghl, back in my banditing days, of course, a spot like this would be ideal to set up an ambush."

The half-Orc looks around, concerned. Kelvan waves a hand, languidly. "Oh, no no no, dear boy. Only a fool would attack a group heading to the sinkhole. They'd be well-rested, and not worth attacking. Like us, they would have little treasure, just shovels and digging tools. The smart bandit would wait to catch us on the way back. Tired, possibly wounded, and loaded down with riches. That's what a smart bandit would do."

Kelvan keeps on walking.

Kelvan is trying a Fast Talk roll.

Name
Fast Talk-16+1 (Bless)=17
3d6 2,1,4

"Yeah. Smart ones.", Drez agreed. He tried to check things out from his peripheral vision.

OOCLook around a bit with his.peripheral vision so it doesn't look too obvious.

Perception and observation rolls as needed from the GM

Edited by Caffeine11 (see edit history)

qQLBLlG.jpgZurana

ST 17 | DX 13 (15) | IQ 10 | HT 15 | Will 11 | Per 14 | Speed 7 | Move 7 | Reaction: +4/+2
HP 20/20 | FP 8/15 |  DR by Location | Defenses | Encum: Light | Languages

Zurana tensed at Kelvan's loud commentary about ambush sites. She had been uncertain about the amount of noise and talk that the group had made during their plans at the inn. Even she had worried about being so overt about their intended treasure hunt, wondering if such babble would draw the attention of unsavory sorts - just as fresh cut meat could draw wolves or bears or carrion birds.

The woman's hand slowly went to the long blade strapped across her back. Like her orcish companion, Zurana reflexively scanned the concealing foliage on their left and right. Unlike Drezghl, she was hardly subtle about her wary search, clearly looking for anyone foolish enough to lie in ambush against this band.

Name
Perception 14
3d6 6,2,2

Time: just before 2:00pm
Weather: Warming 79° and getting a bit stuffy

lake_nestled_between_wooded_hills_landscape_realis_00f80e73-3ad1-4ff7-a039-e318e326f8d6.png.e68ecb458956798741799a5d507ab8ea.pngEven with all the loud talk of bandits and ambushes, no one reveals themselves or makes any sound. Just the birds, the wind in the leaves, and the quietly flowing creek nearby can be heard.

Drez and Zurana do their best to spot any watchers, but they just can't see anyone.

OOC

Character Status

"Kelvan" spacer.png

Kelvan lowers his voice and leans in to the newest member of the team, the scout named Quill.

"So, Red, you might at least make a note of this area. It might bear scouting ahead when we approach it after our subterranean exploration."

He pauses. "Or if you wanted, you could slip back that way and see if there was something to see. My magicks definitely thought we were being observed."

Kelvan keeps on walking.

Sister MariaMaria

HP: 10/10 || FP: 13/13 || PI: 5/5

Conditions/Effects: N/A

Maria tried to make small talk with the other party members along the route, asking about their experiences and abilities, and generally just getting to know them. She tried to keep an eye out for potential threats, (paying specific attention to the area Kelvan seemed worried about).

OOC: If there was some obvious logistical reason to leave Sunday behind Maria would have arraigned temporary stabling. Otherwise she was riding. Maria makes Perception (vs 18), Navigation [Land] (vs 17), Riding [Equines] (vs 11) and or Hiking (vs 11) checks as required.

Quill didn’t appear concerned as she whispered back.

”I prefer not to kill. But, I could drop the leader before they got the demand out.

I like the idea of scouting the area before we come back out. And, maybe we go home a different route.”

OOC:

GM NOTE:

"Kelvan" spacer.png

Kelvan nods to Quill.

"Well, then, we will leave it to you to find us that alternate path on the way home."

He makes to move on, then pauses. "Er, Good thinking."

@cbennyAs far as mounts, I think we finally decided that since the sinkhole was on a farm that apparently still had folk occupying it, that they would be able to stable our horses and mule while we descended.