Sheet Folders in Testing ×

General Chat

So... any specific thoughts about what sort of characters you want for this? New Team Tomorrow, yeah, but that's a broad brush. Are we going to be a new branch? Working with an existing branch? Team Tonight draftees? Teen Tomorrow?

The plan right now, you are a new branch for Team Tomorrow, novas from across the world are invited and will start in Toronto, Canada (they will give enough money for transportation).

Creation question - If, after spending the 6 additional skill points, you have more than one skill with 3+ dots, do you gain a Specialty/Skill Trick in each, or do you just gain 1 Specialty and 1 Skill Trick total (until spending XP)?

Laird, thank you for that catch. I missed the six extra skill points when I was doing my stats.

Looking at the 'sample character creation' stuff in Aberrant, I'm... confused. The text seems to suggest they only get one skill trick, but then gives them multiple. Assuming we're not just limited to one skill trick in chargen, then yeah, it looks like you get a skill trick in any that go that high. Aberrant expressly has the skill tricks calculated after the six extra ranks are added.

Posted (edited)

I went to investigate since it seems, like to be written weirdly, but according to the author:

"It was only ever supposed to be one free Skill Trick, but then I was told that wasn't clear... I tried to fix it, but apparently it still isn't clear. Alas.
Add that to my running list of "If I had it to do all over again" From Danielle Lauzon, Trinity Mechanic leads.

I also thought it was a skill trick for every dots above 3, but it is supposed to be only one.

In short the rule is:

for every skills with 3 or more dots, you get a specialty.
You start with one skill trick for free.

Edited by Vecnahand (see edit history)

Hrm... @Vecnahand, I've got a question!

Just wrapped the first draft of my character's backstory. (Provisional name, Kestrel) but there's one point I wanted to check. Are you okay with the Patron Edge and do you have any characters you'd particularly like/dislike getting targetted with it? Patron's really designed to give a character a tie to a specific NPC, so if we have a senior member of Team Tomorrow as a Patron say... dunno if that's okay, or if it'd complicate stuff. Plus 'who'd you want in that slot?' is a very fair question.

(For Kes' part, almost anyone on Team Tomorrow fits. I just wanted to give her a bit of a more personal relationship with the team, so I'm thinking someone in the organization ended up filling a substitute parent role for her. They're good people on the whole, so there's lots of potential for anyone to fit that.)

2 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Hrm... @Vecnahand, I've got a question!

Just wrapped the first draft of my character's backstory. (Provisional name, Kestrel) but there's one point I wanted to check. Are you okay with the Patron Edge and do you have any characters you'd particularly like/dislike getting targetted with it? Patron's really designed to give a character a tie to a specific NPC, so if we have a senior member of Team Tomorrow as a Patron say... dunno if that's okay, or if it'd complicate stuff. Plus 'who'd you want in that slot?' is a very fair question.

(For Kes' part, almost anyone on Team Tomorrow fits. I just wanted to give her a bit of a more personal relationship with the team, so I'm thinking someone in the organization ended up filling a substitute parent role for her. They're good people on the whole, so there's lots of potential for anyone to fit that.)

I'm okay with the Patron Edge and I mean anybody on Team Tomorrow is fine to use as a patron including Cestus. Just as mentioned in the patron entry, it goes both ways for favors etc...

Now for other people as patrons, it really depends. In general would rather avoid some of the other stuff like, I don't plan to focus on Aliens so wouldn't really want someone doing a backdoor insert of Aliens with the patron edge or using a patron for some characters who are MIA or presumed to be dead for now.

So, trying to talk a bit, how was this team put together? Team Tomorrow already has an Americas team, so starting a Canada team is interesting. Are we starting a new team 'cos the others are going so well, Utopia's got clear room to expand? Or is it more that Canada needs a Team Tomorrow group of its own? Have we been given the time to train together, get to know each other and are now being sent out to do this properly? Or is it more a rush job and our group won't know each other till the flight over to Canada?

2 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

So, trying to talk a bit, how was this team put together? Team Tomorrow already has an Americas team, so starting a Canada team is interesting. Are we starting a new team 'cos the others are going so well, Utopia's got clear room to expand? Or is it more that Canada needs a Team Tomorrow group of its own? Have we been given the time to train together, get to know each other and are now being sent out to do this properly? Or is it more a rush job and our group won't know each other till the flight over to Canada?

Its literally the beginning of Team Canada as in opening day, pretty much Project Utopia has been lobbying to form a Team Tomorrow in Canada and essentially your group comes in where there is tension in the country. There are many factions anti-Utopia and novas, many believing Project Utopia has too much influence. So in a place with anti-novas sentiment growing, you can also imagine Teragen and Aberrants are coming.

29 minutes ago, DecoyGirl said:

I'll get my application up and running pretty fast.

There is no hurry, got time until next week.

1 hour ago, Vecnahand said:

There is no hurry, got time until next week.

Fair.
But in all honestly.
I'm a bit lost right now. LOL.
I have owned the books for this forever, love the settings (I've used the setting in MnM games before)
But never actually gotten to play, so a bit of a naked baby in the woods right now.

34 minutes ago, DecoyGirl said:

Fair.
But in all honestly.
I have owned the books for this forever, love the settings (I've used the setting in MnM games before)
But never actually gotten to play, so a bit of a naked baby in the woods right now.

Alright that's fair, well think of a concept first and can help with the mechanics later.

6 hours ago, DecoyGirl said:

Fair.
But in all honestly.

If it helps a bit, the fact that Powers, Mega Edges and Mega Attributes are all 12xp a dot means it's relatively easy to break down 150xp. Like, I'm actually surprised the book itself doesn't do this.

Assuming you're spending your bonus XP primarily on your superpowers, we get

Quantum 1 (0xp), 12 dots of Powers/Mega (144xp), 6xp left over
Quantum 2 (16xp) 11 dots of Powers/Mega (132xp), 2xp left over
Quantum 3 (32xp) 9 dots of Powers/Mega (108xp), 10xp left over
Quantum 4 (48xp) 8 dots of Powers/Mega (96xp), 6xp left over
Quantum 5 (64xp) 7 dots of Powers/Mega (84xp), 2xp left over

Remember, Mega Attributes can't go higher than your Quantum rating. Powers vary, but either require a minimum Quantum to pick up, or require quantum equal to the number of dots you want in the power. So a Quantum 3 Nova could take Cloak 5, since they're above the minimum Quantum level of 2. But they can't take Quantum Attack higher than 3, since that's got a 'Quantum equal to dots' requirement.

(Also technically all this is complicated by the option to take Transcendence in return for an XP rebate on things, but... well, that's an option. This feels like useful info for making CharGen a little easier)

@Vecnahand I would like to submit my interest as well. I have always wanted to play with this system, and briefly got an opportunity some years ago with the Aeon title, but that game never got out of the introduction phase. Anyways, how much knowledge about the lore and system is needed in order to apply? Because I have none on both. I found a pdf I can read over but I doubt I will be up to speed once the game gets started. I will still need help understanding mechanics and lore.