Round 5: Hexenniel 3: BEES Opening Ceremony

Lumaeus

🐝A.P.I.S. Presents🐝

armoria_2024-01-10-21-40-09.png.59ec5bad70ba80c187397f035c0cbf40.png The Third Hexenniel Conference for the Liberation of Knowledge and Fostering of Growth in Sansar armoria_2024-01-10-21-40-09.png.59ec5bad70ba80c187397f035c0cbf40.png

The Grand Opening of BEES

Guests arrive at the Arkhive as per usual and are all given rooms, rest, and repast in the vault of the Hive itself. While there is a formal aspect to all interaction, a carefully observed guest rite, this is not the main event and it is not treated as such. Should anyone wish to explore the Arkhive Æternal or the neighboring Console Prisca Museum of Interplanetary Ability, they are free to do so. Outside of rank absurdity, all requests are met and all gifts are freely* given. But that's just preparation for the big event.

Transport begins before dawn on the day of the opening. Normally, a pre-daybreak beginning would be something of a burden on visitors, but given the intercontinental and interplanetary nature of the event, what is time even, y'know? One by one, delegates are invited onto the yacht Malizia III and sailed around the island. Now, did the Arkhival leadership specifically plot the event so that the guests, sailing west around the island, would first come upon the new building just as the first brushes of dawn painted the sky with brilliant shades bruise black, blood red, pale desert rose, and several other colors like those? Obviously. That's how this works.

Woe! Illustration be upon ye!

image.jpeg.4f88dc42b50583071222d9e36d4cbeb6.jpeg

In the crystalline arctic waters of the coastal Arkhive, a series of perfect white buildings form the entry to a complex. Built into the sea itself, stairs form a dock that accommodates tide, leading to a walkway towards a great metal dome of interlocking hexagons, almost iridescent under the nascent day. Before the dome, before the buildings, there floats a hexagonal platform of beeswax, on which waits Her Arkhival Majesty, Queen Constance of Comment the First herself. She speaks to the nearing ship.

"Welcome, friends and visitors, guests and delegates, scientists and scholars! It is my supreme privilege to welcome you to the public opening of the Arkhive's newest construction: BEES! A first-of-its-kind facility, BEES is a research center in three parts. What is visible here forms the terranean BEES, equipped with ample supplies and containing myriad clean rooms, beehives, and enormous computers that slowly spit out a little strip of paper that you can look at and say "By Jove...this changes everything!"--everything science requires!

"Below us, the BEES Aquatic Division operates on a scale similar to what you see here, but underwater. Shielded from background radiation, with immediate access to the sea, and equipped with enormous plate glass windows so that scientists can look through them a second too late to see the prehistoric megashark that's about to crash through, our Aquatic Division enables research impossible on the surface.

"Finally, our third division." Constance points up at the peach-rose black sky. "BEES in Spaaaaaaaace! After having constructed a geostationary satellite for the purpose of acclimating bees to Mekhalan environments, we have now created a geostationary complex for the purpose of acclimating BEES to, well, Mekhalan environments. Any research requiring consistent low-gravity environments, exposure to the frankly concerning levels of cosmic radiation, or the risk of hearing your colleague returning from a spacewalk only to remember that they left a week ago and you should be alone oh no oh no what is that thing? can be conducted there."

A banner unfurls behind her, hung from hovering drones, reading Burtzland Economic Endowment Scientarium (which explains so much about what she was actually saying).

"Welcome, to BEES."

Tours of the labs are available. There's room for visiting scholars to come, with financial support from the Hive, so long as all research is made public. You can see one room on ground level where a pod of Durats is examining a Stage Tree crossection in a room separated with a sterile chemical shower nonsense thing I don't do science. They stack on each other comically as they observe a fungal growth on the tree, which pops comically and makes them tumble comically down in a comical shower of comic spores. It's very funny. In the Aquatic Division, scientists are examining a strange abyssal tube worm that spits polyps like fog. They suggest there's a sort of hive intelligence about them, but it's a reference so it won't be investigated further. BEES in Spaaaaaaaace! currently has a squad trying to find a clause in the contract that suggests Snimt Glek's appropriation of the room for research into Long-Term Return to Low Gravity Environments In Mekhalan Natives, an obvious grab at a nicer apartment, violates terms and can be cancelled.

*Visitors to the local mediocre cafe-chain-slash-microstate enjoy no such generosity while there. The Arkhive Æternal has no authority over Milk & Honey.

Opportunities:

• Mingle, chat, do diplomacy stuff. The Arkhive specifically welcomes use of itself as a forum. Constance is glad to participate or be excluded, no fear.
  • Watch science! Do science! Chat about pretend science!
  • The Arkhive Charter is going to have two proposed amendments. I'll wait for EmBark's amendment before I present mine. Every Sansarite member gets a vote (plus EmBark)
  • Tech trade! The Arkhive is giving away the following to anyone (unless you actively aggress us this turn, I guess)
  • Tech reveal and distribution! Morph and I are making something, please hold.
  • What does it mean to be Sansarite (Local Members Only (and TEA)): Let us interpret the charter. I'll start this discussion soon.

Techs for Sale! For Free!

• Aclaustrophobic Psychiatry
  • Algorithmic Imagination
  • Arcane Amplification
  • Badalian Megadirigibles
  • In Vivo Modification
  • Nuclear Fusion
  • Pseudogravity Engineering
  • Wet Navy Ships
  • Xenolinguistic Cataloguing

Charter of the Arkhive Æternal

Immutables
-Every odd round, the Arkhive will hold a Hexenniel Conference to select a Patron, determined by the Points System (see below).
-There are two tiers of Membership: Local Members (for residents of Sansar) and Visiting Members (for everyone else).
-Should a Visiting Member be awarded Patronage OR complete and maintain a Hive (5-action GP), they will permanently be considered Local, so long as they retain Membership.
-Members' holdings shall be held as inviolable to the Library, subject to no interference.
-The Arkhive's holdings shall be held as inviolable to Members, subject to no interference.
-The Arkhive shall devote half of its capacity in service of its Patron (2 actions on odd round, 3 on evens).
-The Arkhive cannot use Military actions nor maintain a standing army (but we're ignoring the unit we start with because it'd be a hassle to deal with--we rebuke the fiction and substitute our own!).
-The Arkhive is a place of refuge; anyone swearing themselves to scholarship is welcome in its walls, regardless of their past.
-The Arkhive is subject always to public oversight; it will never take a secret action
-The Arkhive reserves all E5s and D5s that it may better distribute Trade Routes and Embassies, as well as its first F5 and F10. Additionally, should the Arkhive ever do that thing to get a new civ type and another action what's that called again I forgot, it reserves that one action as well--feel free to ask in advance about it if worried.

Mutables
-Research produced or acquired by the Arkhive (including techs) is to be freely disseminated to all Members without discrimination.
-Physical holdings (including artifacts) are to be loaned out for three years at a time to Local Members.
-Members of the Arkhive hold joint responsibility for recovering overdue and stolen items and holdings (including TPs and Supports*)
-Failure to return a borrowed item by its due date incurs a fine of two (2) Treasure. A further borrowing period overdue will result in revocation of Membership and extraction of reparations as determined appropriate by all remaining Members and the Librarians.
-At their sole discretion, the Queen can forgive fines and pardon misstep.
-The Arkhive accepts all donations.
-Trade Routes will be distributed freely among Members, preferencing Local Members and those offering more generous donations (points system).
-Cultural Exchanges will be distributed freely among Members, preferencing Local Members and those offering more generous donations (points system).
-At each Hexenniel Conference, the current Patron and the Queen may each submit a proposal to add, remove, or alter a single mutable point of this charter.
-Proposals to change the Charter are only confirmed by a 2/3rds majority of voting Local Members.
-No Patron may require the Arkhive to Adopt Faith.

*I don't expect to have any interest in supports unless a [i]hostile[/i] power takes the Arkhive's capital supports

Points System: (Note, this is crunch, but IC it's just the Will of the Bees. Not mutable or immutable, just an enumeration of how the Hive chooses to crown you.)
Provide our Desired Import: 2pts/round (available to every civ that does it, even if the need is already met)
Submit a piece of your culture's literature for Arkhival: 1pt (max 1/rd)
Submit a history for Arkhival: 1pt (max 1/rd)
Submit a theo/mythological or philosophical work for Arkhival: 1pt (max 1/rd)
Recover a lost item from the Arkhive's holdings (returning late items absolutely doesn't count, loophole nerdz): 10pts
Submit the results of an Investigation for Arkhival: 2pts
Submit a technology not yet held by the Arkhive: 2pts for starting tech, 5pts for all others (simultaneous submissions are both rewarded)
Donate an Artifact to the Arkhive: 10pts
Donate Treasure to the Arkhive: 1pt/ea
Build a Hive (5-action GP, you may use the Arkhive's actions for this as Patron): 2pts/turn ongoing, Donor Status
Mechanical figure (or retired Ruler) joins the Arkhive: 3pts
Fluff piece describing influx of your people joining the Arkhive OR an individual described to be noteworthy (such as a great scholar) joining the Arkhive OR a scholar of the Arkhive joining your people: 1 pt (max 1/rd)

Points accrue until the end of a Conference. At the end of the round, the civ with the highest total is awarded the status of Patron. They return to 0 points. Second place is awarded five points to start the next round. Third receives four, fourth receives three, and so on. Ties for Patron are decided between the tied parties, and if they fail to come to an agreement, they roll off. All other ties will both receive the higher point total.

List of Members

ALF (Local)
CUS (Local)
ELD (Local)
GLO (Local)
ILU (Local)
LSP (Local)
RAT (Local)
RRE (Local)
WTP (Local)
BAF (Visiting)
MSQ (Visiting)
TEA (Visiting)
UNC (Visiting)
UHS (Visiting)

image.png.7b18a88d6f3fb9ea7e295061d0c3b296.png

Edited by Lumaeus (see edit history)

As evening sets in, a new spectacle may attract the eye of curious dignitaries.  A distance behind BEES in Spaaaaaaaace!, a Durat entourage has set up a scene of their own. 

In the past, the Durats have attended in small groups to mingle and meet.  However, for today they must have long prepared with the Arkhive.

In an elaborate setup, the ice itself has been laser-carved into a beautiful arena.  Great care put into even the smallest of details.  Ice chairs carved with ornate solar depictions numbering in the hundreds are lined in front of the stage.  The stage itself is a beautiful semi-circle arch, fashioned in the likeness of the Firmament itself.  Upon the top of which, the Exalted Vuk Cssskk Tyculhajodejana stands at an elegant stage.  The dusting of silver fur shines in the podium spotlights.

It speaks, "My fellow Elect, I'm glad to have you here tonight.  I'm sure many are curious as to the nature of this event.  But I must first thank the Arkhive, without whom this evening may never have taken place.  Their dedication to knowledge and capable wings are a blessing to all in Sansar.

Tonight, I have an extremely special announcement for the Durats of Burtzlund.  For ages, we have called ourselves by this name.  But a new age is upon us!  For while we are still of Burtzlund, we are not just of Burtzlund any longer.  As we take into our arms the arc of the Firmament and reach out to Mekhala, we outgrow our former name.

So it is with great pride that I introduce to you the new name of my Country.  Henceforth, we are the Solar Trade Administrative Regions of DuRATS!"

The Exalted gives a light cough into his fist.  "And that is quite a mouthful, so allow me to introduce ourselves more simply.  We are the STAR RATS!"

As the applause rings, just above Sansar's orbit, four Fleets of Spaceships have been waiting.  As the Exalted Pod finishes their announcement, thousands of ships fire targeted radiation into the upper atmosphere.  A display of power incomprehensible for mortals and a daily occurrence for the Sun.  The simulations were tested hundredfold, and the accuracy was verified yet again at BEES in Spaaaaaaaace!

As the Radiation settles, so appears the aurora borealis.  Beautiful in colors of blue, yellow, and gray.  It appears across the night sky like paint settling in water.  And as the full picture comes into view, viewers are introduced to the new flag of The STAR RATS.

The Flag of the STAR RATS

image.png.c900ecded1711d64c190f7c647b47df4.png

"We thank everyone in the interstellar community for their warm welcome to our people, and look forward to continued diplomatic relations.  The Solar Trade Center continues to see improved growth and seek out opportunities with new partners!  In honor of this new event, the Solar Trade Center will also be known as the Solar Trade Administrative Region Trade Center, or simply StarTC!  StarTC shall be its official identifier going forth in Trade communication.  As always, we look forward to working with you, and have a wonderful rest of your evening!

And don't forget to take a short rest at the bar.  The Honeyed Mead is what you expect, and I hope it will bring to you the delight it brought me."

Edited by FriendlyHeadcrab (see edit history)

@Lumaeus

By the time he arrived back it had been almost twenty years since Garrick had seen the ArkHive and it had almost moved into uncanny valley territory - so little had changed that those parts that had appeared jarring and unnatural.  That building used to be a maintenance store and is now a branch of Milk and Honey, this building has had its fronting redesigned.  Left to himself he would likely have wandered for a while, but he wasn’t.  His first few days were a whirlwind of debriefs and ad-hoc lectures to eager young converts.  Each night he retreated to the grove exhausted. (They had offered him a room, of course, but he’d found the bed almost impossible to sleep in after so many years of sleeping on the ground surrounded by Coedd.  Now he stayed in the grove and everyone agreed not to notice the esteemed researcher emptying his bowels against a tree.  Fertiliser was fertiliser)

But now it was time to turn to his second-to-last big project.  The final thing he did would be to write up his time with Coedd.  The final definitive-so-far word on the being and he was eager to get started, but this needed doing first.  It wasn’t a formal process, choosing his successor.  But over the days to come various eager young researchers approached him with various variations on “so will the Hive be sending a new researcher?” or “who do you think the researcher will be?” or even a rather vulgar variation of “how do I get to be the new researcher?”.  All of these he made time to speak with.  He sat in the grove - doing it there deliberately so Coedd could hear though it made no comment - and questioned them.  On their knowledge, on their translation abilities but mostly on their personality.  Knowledge could be gained but it took a certain person to survive the decades with Coedd intact.  Physically - for the jungles of Coedd could be dangerous places - and mentally - for proximity to Coedd could be dangerous as could lack of proximity to other humans.

Eventually a young girl, Siobhan, originally a native of the Reserve, was sent with a note to Queen Constance.  As far as she knew it was simply a message about air circulation in the grove, but when Constance opens it there’s a hand-written scrawl:

“Garrick wants to know if I can be spared for ten or twenty years”

Several comers visit. There's nothing especially notable, and if the royals show up they aren't here yet. But they have a delighted time. Picking at this or that science bits. There was lots of oohing and aahing, even at the parts that weren't impressive. At one point, a small set of magical fireworks goes off, thankfully, far into the air, and somebody is given a minor scolding for getting too overzealous with the magic.

GLIX COMBINED COMMONWEALTH

Sansar's Glic population was, currently, Two Independent Queens, one Queen of Glek Teivosk, one Queen of Raum Teivosk, 5 Nymphs of no affiliation, 1993 Workers, and 20 drones. Each drone is protected by a pack of vicious klox it has charmed to its will. They are currently at residence in the Arkhive, though they maintain Embassies in Kan and the Moonsoul Mountains, and have sent researchers onto Aridyin.

The Drone, in as much as it thought, thought this place smelled nice. One day, decades from now, it would fuse with a Nymph and a couple other Drones, and they would become a Queen. It did not know this, but it's Instinct told it to flock to the company of Sophont Glix who would guard and feed it. That elderly Worker was worried about something, but the Nymph seemed cheerful. The Drone entered the mind of its pet klox, and it sniffed better than the Drone could. None of the pack of klox the Drone lead, no the Alpha or its kloxies, sensed anything amiss...

Snimt'Glek worried every day that this many female Glix in one place was an existential threat, for a target this rich, protected only by the Arkhive's nonexistent military, was too rich for their enemies. That such wasn't unusual historically speaking, or that neither the Glix nor the Arkhive had enemies, were not thoughts Snimt considered.

The Raum Nymph, the first Royal in 23 Jubilees to be born in a Hive, didn't think about her safety or historical precedent, either. She was more interested in the future. Here, they were unlocking secrets even the ancients had never cracked. Above her, on Aridyin, they were laying the groundwork for the great project that would return the Glix to Sansar. Her Sons, and, one day, her daughter, would be born under a sky, in a proper land made to welcome her people.

The shuttle from Caipe Ushere arrives with a small delegation. Unlike previous visits including royal representatives, there are no armed cavaliers accompanying the two dignitaries, merely a few assistants for recording and information purposes. A busy schedule is expected, with the unveiling of new facilities, diplomatic interests both routine and new, charter debate, and technical reviews. An early scenic coastal excursion comes as a welcome beginning to the days of work to come.

Eminent Ambassador Puala Lomchat is an elderly man, clad in a formal long-coated suit and vest in purple and blue, fuzzy gray hair in a balding pattern and a trim moustache framing a dark-skinned face full of smile-wrinkles. Warm blue eyes twinkle brightly in the sunrise as he gazes upon the new Arkhive complex. Next to him on the viewing deck of the yacht stands Head Advocate Lucél Thiércine, a woman in her middle years wearing a pale green pinstriped sleeveless blouse and pencil skirt with a wide pink belt, her tan and easy bearing aboard the vessel giving the impression she is well used to nautical travel. Her ashbrown hair is tied back in a wide ribbon. She holds a digitablet in the crook of one arm while she takes in the sight of BEES, noting architectural details.

Both figures smile as they listen to the Queen Constance's jovial introductory speech. They take the tours of each facility with great interest - both are aficionados of scientific advancement, despite that only Ms. Thiércine has significant educational background in the topic.

In particular, they take interest in the BEES Aquatic Division. What sort of underwater experiments does the Arkhive plan to conduct? Are there any prospective developments hoped for in oceanic resource management and environmental benefits? Was this division inspired by the expedition to the oceanic crater, and if so, are there any plans forthcoming for future expeditions to delve into that mystery.

@FriendlyHeadcrab

Constance sits back and enjoys the spectacle, genuinely pleased for her small Hive's allies. The StarTC would continue to fill the promises started by the STC, and serve to unite a Tekhum that sometimes seemed more than a little fractious.

A more diplomatically calculating part of her mind is also happy to have a show here of mutual support between the Arkhive and Burtzland. Between BEES and the StarTC reveal, any impression of disunity in the wake of the confessional dispute some years back would be papered over. Let the system see that the Arkhivists and the STAR RATS stand together.

She raises her meadShe, in fact, is only seen to consume honey products at the event in congratulation, nodding personably to the Exalted when some eyes look her way. Victory.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:47 AM, Kythia said:

Eventually a young girl, Siobhan, originally a native of the Reserve, was sent with a note to Queen Constance.

There's a certain resignation to some forms of happiness and a grief in some joys. It is a rare smile that, though genuine, does not reach the eyes.

Siobhan must be special, if Garrick sent her, certainly. While even Constance knows that the prophet's mind was not at all times and in all ways sound, she had only iron trust in his discernment in matters of Coedd.

"Tell me, what study brings you to the grove and to Garrick? What, if I may ask, is Coedd to you? And what, to your understanding, are you to it?"

The Queen's answer to Garrick was a foregone conclusion, but she had a duty to her people. A duty to protect, a duty to prepare, and a duty to witness.

On 3/25/2024 at 11:01 PM, Rocket Relm said:

At one point, a small set of magical fireworks goes off, thankfully, far into the air, and somebody is given a minor scolding for getting too overzealous with the magic.

[MAKING THE ASSUMPTION THAT THIS IS BETWEEN THE DAWN OPENING OF BEES AND THE DUSK StarTC REVEAL]

Constance, who is conveniently around for dramatic irony, smiles at hearing that. There would be far more fireworks tonight.

18 hours ago, Featherscale said:

The Raum Nymph, the first Royal in 23 Jubilees to be born in a Hive, didn't think about her safety or historical precedent, either. She was more interested in the future. Here, they were unlocking secrets even the ancients had never cracked. Above her, on Aridyin, they were laying the groundwork for the great project that would return the Glix to Sansar. Her Sons, and, one day, her daughter, would be born under a sky, in a proper land made to welcome her people.

BEES has not been a secret project, though its full scale is only made truly public at this event. The Raum Nymph would be appraised of the opportunity, should she or any Queens wish to conduct (or have the sway to have conducted) any projects in any of the three divisions. After all, there's surely much to learn in advance of the homecoming.

2 hours ago, Frostwander said:

In particular, they take interest in the BEES Aquatic Division. What sort of underwater experiments does the Arkhive plan to conduct? Are there any prospective developments hoped for in oceanic resource management and environmental benefits? Was this division inspired by the expedition to the oceanic crater, and if so, are there any plans forthcoming for future expeditions to delve into that mystery.

Her Arkhival Majesty, Queen Constance of Comment the First, is in her full diplomatic readiness with the Caipe Ushere delegates. After making sure to personally greet them, she spends a fair portionDepending on how many other Super Official delegations come by. Constance doesn't ignore, say, a squad of Reserve scientists or anything, but she's a State official working to secure State relations of her time accompanying them and answering their questions. After all, despite the pleasant relations they've enjoyed so far, at the end of the day, there has not been a truly intimate partnership between the Arkhive and its Erebuus...ian friends.

"In truth, the story of BEES began with our expedition to the crater. I trust you have access to our reports, which were full of fascinating and ultimately entirely unactionably corrupted data. We had reached our limits. Now, the Arkhive has always had a scientific wing, and we've built laboratories and had fruitful dialogues and fellowships at the University of Burtzlund, but at the end of the day, Coastaphornia could not forever be the cornerstone of our enterprise and the Vault could not accommodate large-scale research in a truly modern setting. Therefore, it was decided, we would build a Scientarium of our own.

"What transformed this plan from a mere 'modern facility' to the current tripartite international complex was a confluence of two streams of current event. You are no doubt aware that the Arkhive has the honor of being the heart of Coedd study in Tekhum, and our researchers and clergy have long had questions about Coedd's aquatic presence. As it stands, there has been no large-scale research done on the largest lifeform on the planet--in the system--in the largest environment on that planet. If Coedd proves to be as pluripresent in the seas as on land, it may be able to discover through biology what we failed to glean through technology. Coedd willing, of course.

"At the same time, we were performing certain low-G research on bees meant for Mekhala, and so the expansion of our geostationary research satellite into BEES in Spaaaaaaaace! just made sense."

Constance asks an attendant to have some files sent to the delegation, and soon has waxpaper versions to hand over as well.

Current and Imminent Aquatic Division Projects

Research Into the Aquatic Extend of Coedd

Abyssal Rifts: Biological Survey

Abyssal Rifts: Geothermal Chemical Analysis

Underwater Bees

Phytoplankton Monitoring Station

Seabed Stability Analysis

U-Boat Materials Testing

Does the Curse of the Albatross Extend Underwater? A Submarine Study Conducted by Scholars of Poetry

@Lumaeus

She frowned slightly at the unexpected line of questioning then with an almost audible "oh" caught on - she wasn't stupid give her that much.

I'm an Assistant Librarian with the Face of Philosophy and Psychology, your majesty. I've been working on applying our knowledge of aclaustrophoic psychiatry to Glix culture of late but my original research interest was in isolation as it pertains to hive and group minds. Seperation form the whole, you know. But to Garrick specifically, well, I didn't want to say but it looks like he knows? I was looking for his recommendation to take his place with Coedd.

What's Coedd to me. Errrm. I grew up in the Reserve, you can probably tell by the accent. And you get very good at noticing things - there are old Elif Dhoiane, there are unobservent Elif Dhoiane, I'm sure you can fill in the snowclone. And there's these trees, we call them Poll trees, and they have these huge leaves, bigger than you and me together. But they have holes in the middle about, ooo she holds her hands about 75 cm apart about this big. And the sunlight comes through the holes and you get low lying plants growing where the sun comes through. And those plants die and they feed the Poll tree roots. No-one has planned this. No one goes round poking holes in leaves or planting ground plants where the sun will get to them. It's just everything perfectly working together by itself. That principle, that's what Coedd is to me. Everything just works.

And I guess thats what I am to Coedd. I'm part of the thing that just works. I think I'm right in saying the Hive has a different relationship to Coedd than most places - it seems more aware we exist and have an internal structure than it does, say, the Raidaint Republic. I don't know if you'd agree? But it seems that way to me. And part of that working, from our point of view, is studying. Does that make sense?

Local delegates, including ILU, TEA, and LSP delegates, are invited to a conference room, where, as usual, Honeyed Words, a globule of royal jelly, and a small handout await everyone.

"The first order of business is one of interpretation," says Constance without preamble. "There are two tiers of Membership: Local Members (for residents of Sansar) and Visiting Members (for everyone else). So says the Charter. The question has been raised whether a "resident of Sansar" would include any polity that has significant population on the planet* or one which holds the bulk of its population on the planet or one which originates from the planet--though I pray we don't decide on this, as it would be a conference in itself to determine what that means. So, a question for everyone to consider. Does having a significant population on Coedd make a polity a "resident of Sansar?" Though there is no mechanism for deciding in the Charter, I will exercise my authority to determine the exception: every polity represented in this room, including the one which could be excluded by the decision, holds a vote (excepting, as always, the Arkhive). Simple majority is sufficient.

"For those that remain, two amendments. The Llort propose the Freedom From Religion Amendment, and I present the Fair Labor Practices Amendment."

Freedom From Religion

The Arkhive cannot convert outside of Sansar, except for regions belonging de facto to their Patron

Fair Labor Practices

The Arkhive cannot hold, make use of, or act in any way to support the acquisition or use of involuntary (slave) labor.

"The argument for or against the Freedom From Religion Amendment is not mine to make. As for Fair Labor, we have seen the enormous impact that controversy over coercive labor has had on our system, and it is central to the Arkhive's continued success that it not be seen to be partisan. Further, while we cannot speak for, commend, or condemn other civilizations, our small state is grateful to enjoy a relatively meritocratic equality, outside of apian election."

*OOC holds a region, to be absolutely clear

Siobhan takes her seat for her first official business while Garrick loiters obtrusively behind her, ready to offer aid whenever it is or isn't wanted.

Residents

I don't really understand what there is to discuss on this point she starts, looking confused. The charter seems perfectly clear to me. In case there's something I've missed: if Arkhive membership was held by individuals it would be clear who was a resident of Sansar. Is their main house on Sansar? They're a resident then. Regardless of whether they own another house offworld. Arkhive membership is held by governments not individuals, but the same logic applies. Is their main house - their capital - on Sansar? Then they're a resident. I really don't see another reading to the charter.

Freedom From Religion

This seems like a grubby little thing she says with distaste. How does it improve the ArkHive's workings? And, given the ArkHive only converts by invitation, why do the Llort feel they can deny the religious wishes of everyone else in Tekhum? It's a nasty thing is what it is.

You're editorialising. Garrick says from behind her, not unkindly. It's easy to do, don't feel bad. But no one invited you here to hear Siobhan's opinion, they wanted Coedd's. What does Coedd think?

She stares, unseeing, at whoever is sat opposite her for a moment while she thinks before announcing Coedd Abstains? a little hesitantly. At Garrick's nod she repeats it with more conviction. Coedd Abstains

Fair Labour Practices

I guess...On the face of it this would prevent the arkhive from doing most things. Can the arkhive trade tech to the elves? That would, depending on the tech, be supporting the use of slaves. Or from another direction, what if a patron wanted to direct the arkhive to buy some slaves with the intent of freeing them. That would be the acquisition of slave labour and so we wouldn't be allowed to. I just think it's a little broad. Coedd votes No.

She's about to continue when Garrick interrupts: Wait, hold on... He's about to continue when Coedd interrupts, through a sharp beep from the translator box. Siobhan and Garrick both stop to read it and Siobhan slumps back in her chair, looking absolutely mortified and on the brink of tears.

Coedd supports the ArkHive in whatever it decides she mumbles. Coedd votes Yes

Edited by Kythia (see edit history)

OOC

[skipping the arrival for this post to time-bubble for the conversation so that y'all don't gotta go through a big-ass post just for that]

The Conference Room

As representatives, the Llord Society Protectorate had sent princess Tiyansi and flightmaster Pako Simar Gusu. The princess wears a toga-like dress, while the flightmaster continues to wear only his space suit. Tiyansi offers her seat to Pako, more out of habit and courtesy than anything, as the flightmaster naturally and quietly refuses. She takes the seat while the flightmaster floats next to her, offering a slight bow of acknowledgement in the direction of Garrick as he recognizes him from the elven conclave.

Residents

"As this appears to be a point local to Sansar, I'm uncertain what voice I should give to those outside it on this matter." Tiyansi begins. "However, if I may share a perspective from Mekhala?" She briefly awaits the confirmation. "On Mekhala, we occasionally also discuss matters in an open forum. Not quite like this and not quite in a formal manner. It has guidelines, not strict rules. Some of those outside of Mekhala who share our interests and mean us well have been invited in the past and the Llort Society Protectorate has served as a link between polities in that regard, much like the Arkhive appears to be such a link on Sansar. By similar notion, I would suggest that if the Eucrus Alliance means you all well and shares your interests, then perhaps there is no reason to bar them from being a Local? The Illumined Utopian appears to have been accepted as Local largely through their status as Patron, but they would likewise be served by this, I imagine."

She shifts in her seat. "I will not abstain on this matter, but I will await the word of others on the subject, if that is alright."

Freedom From Religion

"We should probably explain the position from which the Society has suggested this amendment."

Tiyansi stands up from her seat to better address the gathered representatives.

"We have thought long and hard about what to suggest as an amendment. Our long-term goal is fostering greater cooperation and collaboration between the Arkhive, its Patron and its Members. As ally to the Arkhive and one of its greatest advocates outside of Sansar, we now hold the unique position of being able to voice the concerns and desires of others outside of Sansar: our cousins all throughout Mekhala, our friends on Veehra and allies on Badal."

Pako holds up a hand. The princess stops, bows to the flightmaster, and lets him continue.

"We have spoken to these others and they expressed worry over hostile conversions. At present, the Arkhive Charter protects Local members from hostile actions. The Llort Society Protectorate has faith in the Arkhive that any unwritten hostilities won't ever manifest, but others do not share that faith. We considered the wording of this and conferred with representatives of your Local members to see what would be a reasonable compromise. We think that this would allow the Arkhive some leeway and to still function as intended, while assuaging any fears that others have of it. For if we can strike down their fears, then the Arkhive can find their friendship. Through that friendship, the Arkhive will be able to find greater strength and fulfill its great and wonderful purpose."

Pako nods at Tiyansi, then floats back a little bit.

"Thank you, flightmaster Pako. Honoured representatives, I hope you can see that this is not intended to be 'nasty'. There are other amendments we could have suggested and that we hope others may suggest in the future. We thought that if this were our only chance to ever suggest an amendment, it should be one that convinces others to also link up with the Arkhive and strive to be Members and Patrons." She makes a slight bow. "Thank you for listening to our voices."

Fair Labour Practices

"I find myself sharing the personal position of representative Siobhan." Tiyansi considers. "If a slave is acquired but freed, have they done forced labor for the Arkhive? If the idea is that the Arkhive not be seen as partisan, is this amendment not contrary to that, as it forces the Arkhive to take a position, not in word but in action?"

The princess falls into thought. The flightmaster speaks.

"From conversations with other clergy at the elven conclave and beyond it, I have found that most faiths espouse a need for personal improvement, growth and freedom. One such faith is that of the Illumined Utopian, if my wrinkled and grey old cortex may recall correctly. There has been some recent news of their priests interviewing those within the elven lands and determining that they were not slaves in the commonly understood way. Meanwhile the forced corvee laborers that exist on Veehra and have been getting exported from it are much more clear-cut in purpose and origin. At least the elves don't turn people into a resource to trade. Or otherwise it hasn't been on a large enough scale that it has been getting notice outside of Sansar. If the Arkhive and Coedd both agree with the Illumined Utopian in this regard, then it seems like there was a consensus before we even knew of it."

Tiyansi thinks for a moment, then nods in agreement. "The Llort Society Protectorate votes Yes on this amendment."

Navarch Tuahine has largely been silent in her endeavors here at the BEES. While she has mingled somewhat with those present, it seems plain that recent events have weighed heavily on her mind. She steps into the conference room with little pomp and circumstance, and allows both Constance and Coedd to speak their piece. 

Before things can proceed further, however, she steps forth to break her silence. “I understand that our presence here has incited contention in the past. Perhaps that may fuel some of your opinions on this matter—and for that, I deeply apologize. Matters concerning our arrival were handled poorly, and without transparency. 

However, I do believe that before we can deliberate the question of what makes a resident of Sansar, there is a point I must first address. 

The choice made here in regards to our candidacy is one that will reflect Sansar’s foreign policy as a whole. To say that those who live on the planet’s soil may not qualify as residents of Sansar—that is a broad proclamation with far-reaching effects, that I implore those present to consider. The ArkHive does not exist in a vacuum. If such a restriction is passed, it will be because its supporters believe that we are different, and not deserving of the same rights amidst a non-partisan body.

To ask a governing body to uproot itself and move to a whole new planet is no small feat. To my eyes, it seems extreme. And a task that the representative from Coedd knows that few outsiders would ever attempt.” She gestures, not impolitely toward Siobhan and Garrick. 

“Let us review the hurdles by which this situation has even come to pass: You must gain a sponsor, whom assumes responsibility over you and your actions, to establish any sort of holding up on Sansar’s soil. To this, we have never objected…despite some missteps. And yet still, we are told that it is not enough to be considered a Sansarite. Should Sansar be granted the same treatment on Badal? Mekhala? Such a thing may not matter to Coedd, but I defy you to say the rest of you would not protest.

Our holding is in its infancy. But generations down the line? Fifty, sixty, a hundred years—will you say that they, too, are not people of Sansar? This seems an exclusionary measure for a polity that proclaims its doors open to all. 

Because this matter is so essential both to the ArkHive and to the core of what it means to be of Sansar, I would ask that Queen Constance be allowed to express her vote on the matter. If that in itself requires a vote, I would ask who among us feels that it is just that the ArkHive not be granted a voice. And let it be a matter of public record.”

Freedom From Religion

Minister of Foreign affairs, Ailbhe Lathurna clears her throat and begins speaking. “Coedd's Adherents as far as the Radiant Republic is aware have acted with nothing but benevolence at every turn. Everywhere on Sansar when war has led to widespread destruction, they have been the first to provide succor. No other faith has acted with such charity.”

She shook her head sadly. “One wonders what offworlders find so threatening about it. As far as the Republic is concerned, in no way can proselytizing by such a faith could be considered a hostile act, provided permission is given. The fair people of the Arkhive shouldn't be hobbled on the basis of nothing but unjustified paranoia of those not present here. We oppose this motion.” 

On Fair Labour Practices

“The foul institution of slavery must be opposed at every turn, no matter the form it takes or arguments used to justify it. The Radiant Republic wholeheartedly supports the amendment.”

Edited by DKArthas (see edit history)

As always, Scorcha had made sure that she was free to attend the Hexennial. Her father was busy taking a more active role in Eilif Dhaoine's military affairs than he had for the last decade or so, and the Knights of the Dhaoine were as always free to indulge in whatever fancy took their attention now - another tournament, as she understood it - so that left to visit the Arkhive once more. While the scientific nature of much of what was going on didn't take her fancy, she found the visit as pleasant as always, even if her main focus was the upcoming voting.

On Residency and Freedom from Religion

While she lets the other Sansarite representatives talk, and nods along to what Tuahine is saying, Scorcha's main focus is on what the Llort representatives are saying.

"I find it strange that you are so concerned with ensuring that missionaries are never sent to the unwilling, when that is a core part of your own charter. After all, when my father agreed to your assistance with matters on Firmament, a key part of that deal was that once we had conquered the relevant section of the structure, you would be free to send as many people as is necessary to ensure that people there followed the ways of your cult, not their own beliefs, and while I'm not privy to the details, I have little reason to believe that similar clauses are missing from the deals you set out with several powers on Veehra, and indeed with the Eucrus Alliance here. The fact that you have drawn up contracts to ensure that your faith can be spread to Sansar - and while Coedd may think otherwise, I define Firmament as a part of Sansar - and at the same time seek to prevent the faiths local to Sansar from spreading beyond the planet...I just find it a little odd, if you are coming from a place of fairness and openness."

"Mainly, however, it is the way that that this amendment has been paired with a drive to widen the definition of resident that I find...distasteful." She holds up a hand to preempt any interjection. "This isn't coming from the same kneejerk xenophobia that we saw in the early days of...Badal-Sansar relations, shall we say. After all, it was my father that worked towards peace in that regard, and it is the Dhaoine that have been the driving force between accepting offworlders and welcoming them to Sansar, despite the way that certain liberties have been taken with that acceptance, such as the destruction that has been caused by the Ilumined Utopian in central Chonkia - an act that has caused us problems given that we were the ones that vouched for them. However, responding to that particular incident is outside of the scope of this meeting, so I'll get back to the point."

"Acceptance is not submission, and these two agendas working in tandem lead to one end result - weakening the position of countries native to Sansar with the Arkhive while simultaneously strengthening offworlders. After all, at its core this is saying that offworld Patrons can make the Arkhive act unrestrained on Sansar, regardless of borders or the wishes of those that live here, but it must act with restraint when the shoe is on the other foot. While, yes, our past amendments have thankfully made it so the Arkhive will never need to spread beliefs it does not hold in its heart...all things can be changed, and we are talking about making it easier for that to happen here. In normal circumstances, I'd gladly accept those that we've already been working well with, but while some of those involved are simultaenously working to shackle the Arkhive's activities...it is a precedent I must resist against. However, should the amendment restricting the Arkhive so be struck down, I would gladly accept our friends as equal in the Arkhive's eyes."

On Fair Labout Practices

This amendment, by comparison, gets a small shrug from Scorcha. "Siobhan does have a point. Would this amendment forbid the Arkhive from dealing in any positive way with the Fiorid Principality? After all, with the degree that slave labour is institutionalised there, anything that helps the state thrive will expand the amount of slaves in the country. The parts restricting the Arkhive itself are...acceptable. After all, my people do not use slaves, and if the Arkhive makes a decision in that direction, then why would I stop that? However, if the intent is to start the process of indirectly restricting access to the Arkhive based on aspects of their government - ones that do not affect the Arkhive or show hostile itent towards it, naturally - then...that is a precedent that I am reluctant to help establish."

The Illumined Utopian delegation was notably absent from the Arkhive Hexenniel, their seat as a former patron even empty as the discussions start. As Scorcha finishes her comments on the proposals in front of them the door to the conference room bursts open. Two Wyrmblessed in full utopian style battle armor fill the door way, the armor is covered in streaks of dirt and blast marks from recent fighting. They stand at attention toward the small form of Console Prisca Calpurnius striding into the room, her gait seeming to stretch longer than a Jy'mar stride would be expected to take. She was dressed in the Protectorate issued armor with the symbol of the Primes emblazoned on her helmet. Tucking the helmet under her arm she leapt onto the table where the Jy'mar sized prepared seat and desk for the Utopian delegation was set.

"Apologies for being late, I had matters to attend to - and I have more matters to attend to following this. I was aware of this meeting and I will be providing the Illumined Utopians opinions on these matters as the First Patron of the Arkhive Æternal and then I will depart as my Path calls me to Mekhala."

Prisca takes a breath and looks at the assembled Sansar representatives and the offworld representatives present in the room, locking eyes with each in turn before moving on for her eyes to finally rest on Queen Constance of Comment. Her gaze softens slightly and she gives Constance a small bow before continuing in a loud voice.

"On the first order of interpretation. What is local, what is a resident. The tiers of membership are clear; a resident of Sansar is not. Is not a resident someone who lives in a place and calls it their home? Are we going to exclude all future residents of Sansar unless they meet specific thresholds and categories of 'residence'. Who will enforce and decide when someone is 'local' enough? A government can have multiple homes, a people can live in more than one place. What you assembled speak of is a restriction on the voting membership of the Arkhive Æternal, you might as well call it that. This path you head down is one that closes the Arkhive rather than opening it."

Prisca pauses and waves to herself, and the Llort representative.

"Look to your first two Patrons, we are not of Sansar. We choose to join hands with the Arkhive and we wish for the Arkhive to prosper. Who from Sansar has attempted Patronage? Who from Sansar wishes to see the Arkhive's goals advanced and prosper? Were not the secondary contenders for Patronage the Black Cloud Coalition and the Combined Commonwealth of Glix? And Yet. And Yet Sansar wishes to close off the people who can decide what the Arkhive can do. You wish to limit the voting to an even more Elite club of Sansar first. I vehemently oppose this interpretation of the Charter. I even would propose you go further. Why are the 'visiting' members denied a voice? Why are the Glix and the Coalition denied entry to this meeting? Are they somehow lesser than those on Sansar who have contributed little to the Arkhive when they have contributed much? Are they to have no voice until that time that they are 'granted access' to Sansar or obtain Patronage? Let the interpretation be friendly, let the interpretation be open, be generous not restrictive. Or if you are restrictive - take my warning on the path you walk down."

Taking a deep breath Prisca centers herself to continue speaking on the other items.

"On this amendment. Coedd has themselves stated they care not for what is beyond Coedd. I understand the Llort attempting to introduce something into the Arkhive that could prevent Patrons demanding 'hostile' conversion of those not protected by the Charter, non-members. Let me ask you something. Do you think that there could be a Patron that requests the Arkhive Æternal to act hostilely against a non-charter member? That is purely allowed by Charter. The Llort amendment seems to be attempting to foster welfare and assurances to non-members that their sacred faiths will be respected and not trampled on by the Arkhive - Coedd has made Coedd's plans on Sansar clear, I pray myself that this amendment means nothing and would have amounted to nothing as what restriction is it on Coedd in this case? Am I misunderstanding the aims of Coedd that it in fact wishes to be more than Coedd? If so then vote no, if not - why would we not vote Yes?"

"As for Utopian's stance on the last point. Need you ask what we vote? Our actions speak for our conviction. We vote Yes."

At her final statement Prisca again meets the eyes of all those assembled. One of the Wyrmblessed come close to her and whisper something.

"My ship is here. I doubt I will return as I foresee my path ending. Utopian will hear of what is decided here today."