Application (Questions & Answers)

14 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

Quick question...can a Moon Touched sword be a dagger? I'm happy to go shortsword but thematically a dagger fits better.

It can be any bladed weapon. So a dagger is fine.

10 hours ago, bwatford said:

They are but make sure you are using the latest version of the spell. Deep Magic 1 & 2 now contain most of the spells.

o.k. Thanks. My friend has both Deep Magic books, so I'll give them a look over.

32 minutes ago, GleefulNihilism said:

I do love a Moon-Touched Sword. Does the Pathfinder version work the same way as the 5e version?

Wasn't aware there was a Pathfinder version, since this is a 5e game, it would use the 5e version.

In darkness, the unsheathed blade of this sword sheds moonlight, creating bright light in a 15-foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet.

Nice. Thought I saw something where the Pathfinder version tweeks some saves when the character is in moonlight, which I suppose is technically more powerful but not as cool. But that might be a feat I’m thinking of anyway.

Just curious was all.

Edit:- And if you feel like being a clever clod, you can point out that this makes the Moon-Touched Sword a Magic Weapon when you consider how it interacts with Damage Reduction. Hence why Moon-Touched Swords are actually pretty great, at least in terms of cuts for your coin. (Saying “Bang for your Buck” doesn’t feel right in this context.)

15 minutes ago, bwatford said:

In darkness, the unsheathed blade of this sword sheds moonlight, creating bright light in a 15-foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet.

Edited by GleefulNihilism (see edit history)

I spotted a neat little item as I was reading the Book of Ebon Tides...a Spidersilk Rope (p.211). It doesn't say its a common item, just that it's magical, 50feet long with loops to aid climbing, has a sticky end instead of a grappling hook, weighs ounces and will fit in a pocket.

What do you think @bwatford Would this be allowed and if so, at what cost?

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

I spotted a neat little item as I was reading the Book of Ebon Tides...a Spidersilk Rope (p.211). It doesn't say its a common item, just that it's magical, 50feet long with loops to aid climbing, has a sticky end instead of a grappling hook, weighs ounces and will fit in a pocket.

What do you think @bwatford Would this be allowed and if so, at what cost?

The item is rare to virtually nonexistent on the surface world. Mostly used by Shadow Elves thus why it is in the Ebon Tide book. But if one could find one for sale, that wasn't just scrap pieces then it would be 100 gold pieces and weigh 4 pounds.

Spider’s silk rope has 6 hit points and can be broken with a DC 20 Strength check.

28 minutes ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Still holding my breath... dead now... can't wait, good luck everyone.

It's not healthy to hype yourself too much up. I'm not sure it's any help to you that I point that out, though. There are a lot of great applications here, and it is important that you don't take it personally if you're not chosen.

I will wish you, and everyone else, good luck. And to those that are accepted... May you live in interesting times.

1 hour ago, Ayeba said:

It's not healthy to hype yourself too much up. I'm not sure it's any help to you that I point that out, though. There are a lot of great applications here, and it is important that you don't take it personally if you're not chosen.

I will wish you, and everyone else, good luck. And to those that are accepted... May you live in interesting times.

100% @Ayeba I think I've been involved in a few hundred applications over the years, sometimes your application is on point, other times not.
But this is great advice, and you're right there are awesome applications.

The weirdest thing about applications like this is.. you just don't know what'll get you in. Group composition, campaign type, GM mood on the day, who knows. I've done hundreds of applications and honestly.. i have no idea what gets me in and what doesn't lol

20 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

The weirdest thing about applications like this is.. you just don't know what'll get you in. Group composition, campaign type, GM mood on the day, who knows. I've done hundreds of applications and honestly.. i have no idea what gets me in and what doesn't lol

If I was a GM picking out players, there is one factor that I would weigh heavier than anything else: Chemistry, or how well I think the cooperation between me and the player in question would function. Most other factors can be mitigated for.

An unbalanced group composition? I'll make it work, if necessary by throwing in NPCs to cover their shortcomings. Or even better, play into their weakness, and use that as basis for some great roleplaying.

Inexperienced players? They can learn.

Inappropriate characters for the campaign? I can talk to the players and together make some adjustments.

The problem with chemistry is that it is a very abstract concept, almost impossible to determine in advance. Unless there are obvious red flags, I'd have to decide by other factors, such as how well the player writes, how well the group would fit together, etc. Or just ballpark it with my highly imprecise intuition.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

I've been a Gm a couple of times and picking players is absolutely the hardest part. It works so opposite to in person games where you're more picking a player than a character, having to pick a character and sort of infer the player makes it so much harder. Pretty much anything else can be worked out.