PFS 6-12 Scions of the Sky Key part 1| Game Play

The reputable merchant and ally of the Society Aya Allahe paces one of the back rooms of Sharrowsmith’s Exports, a walled trade compound on the northern edge of Nantambu in the Mwangi Expanse.
“I wish I had more to offer,” Allahe apologizes before even presenting what information she has. “Nieford Sharrowsmith never truly retired from being a Pathfinder, even after he started this business. I think, in his mind, he was still the young adventurer that hiked through jungles and fought off troglodyte tribes. Sharrowsmith’s attitude changed over the last few months—I think he was concerned for his legacy and how history would remember him. Would it be for his discoveries or for the export business that dominated his later years? The answer, I fear, was unpalatable."
“It was no surprise when he packed up and left on an expedition. But that was months ago, and neither the Society nor I have heard from him since. Sharrowsmith has never left for this long without leaving some word as to his status or sending rather demanding missives about business decisions while he was waist-deep in some jungle bog. When my own contacts failed to turn up any useful information, I had no recourse but to go through his private notes.” Allahe motions to the mess of documents scattered about the office.

“What caught my eye was this translated rubbing. It appears to be the most recent piece of a very large puzzle Sharrowsmith was researching and indicated that he may be somewhere in the Bandu Hills. Traders from Fort Bandu have confirmed that he paid the garrison a visit, but that’s where my trail ran cold. Something happened out there, and Praetor Sylien—Fort Bandu’s commander—refuses to correspond with
me on the matter despite knowing how close Nieford and I are. All I received in response was that Nieford had ‘done enough damage for one lifetime,’ and that if I wanted to discuss the matter further I would need to go to Fort Bandu in person.”
Exasperatedly, Allahe runs a hand across her forehead and turns her distant stare out the window. “I cannot shutter the business and travel hundreds of miles on the off chance that the praetor can help; the company would fall apart. I’m hoping that you will be able to go in my stead, speak with the praetor personally to learn what has befallen Sharrowsmith and help him return."

PLAYER HANDOUT #1: DWARVEN RUBBING

…and with this engraving, we commit to the histories the founding of Ashkurhall. here we will strike the stone in memory of our ancestors and the promise of the sky that was taken from us. so far we have traveled and so long we have sought stone to call our home. in the shadow of the mountain the humans call nakyuk, we will build a new future
for...

Khan
spacer.png
Male, Half-orc
Class: Ranger | Level: 1
Str: 14 | Dex: 16 | Con: 14 | Int: 12 | Wis: 13 | Cha: 10
HP: 12/12 | Speed: 30 | Init: +3
AC: 15 | Touch: 13 | Flat-footed: 12
CMD: 16 | FCMD: 13
Fort: 4 | Ref: 5 | Will: 1

Weapons

Longbow: +4 (1d8, x3) [100 ft range]
Scimitar (cold-iron): +3 (1d6+2, 18-20/x2)
Dagger: +3 (melee)/+4 (missile) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2) [10 ft range]

Situational Modifiers

Favored Enemy | Freedom Fighter | Orc Blood | Orc Ferocity  | Point-Blank Shot | Track

Bonus Types

The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus of a given type works. Bonuses without a type always stack, unless they are from the same source.

Alchemical: --- | Armor: +2 | BAB: +1 | Circumstance: --- | Competence: ---

Deflection: --- | Dodge: --- | Enhancement: --- | Inherent: --- | Insight: ---

Luck: --- | Morale: --- | Natural Armor: --- | Profane: --- | Racial: Various

Resistance: --- | Sacred: --- | Shield: ---  | Size: --- | Trait: Various

Condition(s): None

Anyone looking might have caught a hint of a smile upon the face of the quiet, large man that stood well over six feet tall. This was his very first mission for the society and it had already brought him to the majestic jungles of the Mwangi expanse. Even with the hood of his light brown cloak pulled down as far as it would go, those around could see his thick, auburn colored hair as it hung down over his face, hiding his slightly sloping head, jutting jaw and prominent teeth that identify him as having orc blood running through his veins. He wore leather armor on top of a light green shirt and light tan-colored pants. Completing his ensemble was a sheathed scimitar and backpack strapped across his back and a longbow which he carried. Upon his left thigh is a quiver full of arrows.

"What can you tell us of this Bandu Hills region? What dangers might we encounter from here to there?" Khan asked Aya quietly.

OOC & Mechanics

Features | Prepared Spells

Wild Empathy: (+1)

Spells Prepared (CL: 1)
1st Level [DC: 12] 2nd Level [DC: 13] 3rd Level [DC: 14] 4th Level [DC: 15]
X X X X

vesalhead.jpeg.ed24b180969fedcc75544509b3392971.jpeg

Too excited to sit, the bronzed skin keleshite woman stood against a side wall and listened to the briefing. She wears a long skirt, and a leather jerkin can be seen under her sand colored cloak. A sheathed scimitar hangs from her belt. Vesal runs a hand through her brown hair. Having been up north, she had let it grow out, but she had it cut short again when she learned about the Mwangi assignment.

Excited at the prospect of traveling in the Mwangi, Vesal quickly asks. "In addition to what he said" she gives a nod and smile towards half-orc man. Do you know anything about Sharrowsmith's research? What is and, or where is Ashkurhall?"

AC: 18 (19 if adjacent to a single foe) HP 9/9 Bard Song 12/12 1st 2/2 Fire Resistance 5  Fast heal 2 1/1

Actions

Stat Block

Vesal
M N Ifrit (native, outsider) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30

AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2,

CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points n/a

scimitar +4 (1d6+4, 18+; x2 +2fire)

darts +4 (1d4+1, x2) hide shirt (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)

wand of clw 50 charges

Abilities Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 15 Condition None  

spacer.pngTanith Camarilla, Elven Wizard

Tanith Profile

Female Lawful Neutral Elf Wizard (Conjuration - Teleportation)

Level 1 Init 5 HP 8/8 Speed 30'
AC 13 Touch 13 FF 10 CMD 12 Fort 1 Ref 3 Will 3 CMB -1 BAB 0 Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)  (+3 Dex)
Str 8 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
Cantrips: Acid Orb, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand

1st level Mage Armor, Grease, Colour Spray

Power: Shift 7/7 (Swift Action does not provoke) 5' dimension door

Wand of Infernal Healing 50/50

Condition None 

Familiar 'Imp' Profile

Familiar (Elemental Familiar [Air]) Thrush "Imp"
N Diminutive (+6 to fly +8 to stealth) animal
Init +2 Senses low-light vision

Perception +9 (1 rank (1)+ Wis (2) + Skill Focus (3) +Class (3) = +9

AC 17 Touch 16 FF 15 (+2 Dex, +4 size + 1 Natural) HP 4  

Fort +0 Ref +4 Will [+4]

Speed 10 ft Fly 50 ft (good)

Melee bite –1 (1d2–5) Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

Str 1 Dex 15 Con 6 Int 6 Wis 15 Cha 6 BAB +0 CMB –2 CMD 13
Race Feats Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Fly (Good) +16, Perception +9, Stealth +14
Familiar Feats Alertness, Elemental Manifestation, share spells, empathic link.

The dark haired elven wizardess, sitting on the window seat, perhaps to check the meeting is not being observed by others, listens attentively to the briefing.

She is wearing on her robes the red cross symbol the Egorian Academy of Magical Arts, located in Egorian, the Cheliax Capital, infamous for the teaching of devil summoning.

She is also wearing the the purple book and flame of the Dark Archive faction, the faction charged with recovering dark artifacts and pursuing the Society's dark enemies. This faction is led by the enigmatic, some would say suspect, Zarta Dralneen, formerly a Cheliaxian noble loyal to the Cheliax queen.

On her back is a light crossbow and a quiver of bolts, on her hip a sheathed dagger.

She is for the moment feeding live caterpillars to an irridescent thrush. The murmured conversation taking place between them is indecipherable, being the language shared only by familiar and mistress.

Quietly, she ponders what she knows..

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge Geography Bandu Hills
1d20+6 11
Knowledge Nature Bandu Hills
1d20+10 7
Knowledge History Askurhall
1d20+6 16
Knowledge Geography Nakyuk
+6
Trying again Geography Nakyuk
1d20+6 11

Posted (edited)

“I can tell you that it’s a dangerous place. This is true of much of the Expanse, but the Bandu Hills have a dozen ways to kill before accounting for living creatures: heat, dehydration, landslides, poisonous plants, carnivorous plants, and so on. Unfortunately, the place is sick with riches like diamonds, gold, and silver—an embarrassment of wealth that only attracts more dangerous occupants. I am surprised that Sharrowsmith didn’t settle down there, to be honest.”

“I don't know much about his research. Sharrowsmith’s notes say the rubbing was made by miners in the Bandu Hills over sixty years ago, and the rubbing found its way to him through auctions he frequented.
Whatever he read there, it lit a fire under him.”

Knowledge (local) or Profession (merchant or miner); Exchange may attempt Untrained, Exchange receive a +2 to roll.

10+

The Bandu Hills remain rich in gold, silver, and gems, despite several centuries of colonial mining. Prospectors arrive from throughout the Inner Sea region to seek their fortune. The local Mwangi tribes often retaliate violently.

15+

Most of the larger mining operations belong to the Deeptreasure Mining Company, which has dominated the local industry for nearly three centuries. Their onetime competitors, the Gold Crown Company, are now better known for shipping and export services.

20+

Deeptreasure agents are always on the lookout for independent miners, whom they bully away from promising claims. A Deeptreasure representative in Fort Bandu is offering a bounty for information regarding any promising unoccupied (or ill-defended) mines.

Any more questions?

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

. "What if Sharrowsmith isn't ready, or willing to return? Is he allowed to refuse the request? "Vesal asks for clarification.

AC: 18 (19 if adjacent to a single foe) HP 9/9 Bard Song 12/12 1st 2/2 Fire Resistance 5  Fast heal 2 1/1

Actions

Stat Block

Vesal
M N Ifrit (native, outsider) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30

wand of clw 50 charges

Khan
spacer.png
Male, Half-orc

Weapons

Situational Modifiers

Favored Enemy | Freedom Fighter | Orc Blood | Orc Ferocity  | Point-Blank Shot | Track

Bonus Types

The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus of a given type works. Bonuses without a type always stack, unless they are from the same source.

Khan was ready to move out and get started on the task at hand, but he paused to hear the answer to the question posed by the woman in the sand colored cloak. It was an interesting thought after all. "What if the man simply did not want to be found and brought back?" he thought to himself as he glanced at the robed woman seated at the window seat. "Are you with us?" Khan asked Tanith quietly.

OOC & Mechanics

X X X X

Tanith Profile

AC 13 Touch 13 FF 10 CMD 12 Fort 1 Ref 3 Will 3 CMB -1 BAB 0 Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)

Condition None 

Familiar 'Imp' Profile

Fort +0 Ref +4 Will [+4]

"To the end.. ", replies Tanith with a ghost of a smile, her voice low, measured and considered, delivered with a langorous ease. Her accent, identifiably Cheliaxian, and diction speaks of the best schools. "An' ah go where she goes.", replies the irridescent Thrush, sounding like a dockside pimp, before wolfing down another caterpillar.

The Keleshite had a point. There was a lot of give in Aya's "help him return". Mind you if he were dead, he wouldn't have any say in the matter. If he'd gone rogue, then he wouldn't have any say in the matter. Still, it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

The irridescent Thrush pauses in wolfing down caterpillar to speak with Khan.. "Ma moniker is Imp. Me benefactress, is that even a word? who is much given tae silent reflection.. .. is Tanith Camarilla. Anyway, we're both of us pleased to make yer acquaintance."

Tanith emerges from her reverie with a polite nod in Khan's direction, followed by one in Vesal's direction.. "The Deeptreasure Mining Company is the big player in the Bandu Hills."

Name
Knowledge Local (not limited by untrained due to feat)
1d20+6 9

Khan
spacer.png
Male, Half-orc

Weapons

Situational Modifiers

Bonus Types

Khan could only shrug his shoulders when the bird asked if 'benefactress' was a word. "It is nice to meet you Imp and your benefactress Tanith Camarilla" he remarked quietly as he brought his free hand up and placed it upon his chest. "My name is Khan. I am a ranger from Brevoy to the far north." he said as he switched his gaze from Imp, to Tanith, then to Vesal.

OOC & Mechanics

X X X X

Posted (edited)

You have some time to purchase supplies before leaving for your journey south. The route involves traveling by boat down the Vanji River, then switching to canoes to paddle up the Little Vanji and Dzimmi Rivers. Finally, the PCs wind through several of the lower Bandu Hills through a pass to Fort Bandu.
The fort is a small frontier settlement surrounded by high stone walls located on the northern edge of Sargava. Within the fort’s walls, dozens of mining companies maintain outposts out of pavilion tents, hiring laborers and purchasing necessary supplies brought in by merchants from the north, south, and west. The fort holds a garrison of soldiers that struggle to maintain a balance of defense of the frontier and protection for the miners and traders within its walls.

Do any of you openly wear Pathfinder insignia?

What do you do?

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

Tanith Profile

Condition None 

Familiar 'Imp' Profile

Fort +0 Ref +4 Will [+4]

"Brevoy, really? Well that's certainly not for the faint hearted.", purrs Tanith, the ghost of a smile flitting across pale face, within her hood, the light from the window making her squint somewhat even so. "I hail from Cheliax.. would that I was as far from home as you are." , she continues, still in that plummy posh Cheliax accent.

Tanith returns to her rooms and prior to chilling with a bottle of wine, casts two spells, both ears of the city. 'Forewarned is forearmed' being something of a watchword for her. She then conceals her society insignia, which she's had on display at the meeting, figuring that if the one they were looking for had caused trouble, folk wearing the same badges might be in for a cool welcome.

Her first question is.. tell me about Nieford Sharrowsmith.

Her second question is.. tell me what Nieford got up to in the Bandu Hills.

OOC: And the dice continue to beat the shit out of good ideas.

OOC: Didn't realize we were handwaving to the Fort. If we are...

Question: What news of Nieford Sharrowsmith hereabouts..

Name
Ears of the City (gather information)
1d20+9 4
Ears of the City
1d20+9 7
Ears of the City at the Fort
1d20+9 15

While everyone is introducing themselves, she simply states to the other members of the team: "The light of dawn to you. I'm Vesal, a dervish of Sarenrae". I grew up in Qadira."

----------------------------------

Before arriving at the fort, Vesal will conceal her pathfinder insignia. If she has time before the meeting with Praetor Sylien , she will walk around the fort asking about Sharrowsmith.

Actions

gather info

Stat Block

Vesal

wand of clw 50 charges

Name
gather info
1d20+6 14