Character Creation OOC

1 hour ago, JagrHunter said:

How would Paladins work before the return of the Gods

At this point, the gods have returned. A paladin or cleric would start with all spells and class features. True clerics of good and neutral gods are still rare, however.

39 minutes ago, Drifter Dwarf said:

Is knowledge of the dragon lance setting required to apply?

Absolutely not. I’m also happy to answer questions about the setting.

This campaign began before Wizards updated the setting for Shadow of the Dragon Queen, and we haven’t incorporated the continuity changes of the revised setting. The biggest differences are that the Wizards of High Sorcery only accept wizards as members (unlike the Mages of High Sorcery in the update), and sorcerers don’t exist at this point in the setting’s timeline.

I'm considering given the setting and party group to make a Cleric. While I consider the build, any considerations about Twilight Cleric? Some tables consider it disruptive, some may appreciate the benefits it gives the PCs. Considering between it, Light or Life domains. Knowledge and Arcana could be fun, but the party already has a Wizard and a Warlock so arcane matters are well handled already.

I may toss my hat. Lately my RNG hasn't been that great. Going to toss my bones here before I decide.
Set 2 looks like it can make an interesting character.
16 16 15 14 8 7

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)
Name
Ability Scores 1
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 6,2,1,1,5,6,1,1,5,2,4,5,1,6,6,4,3,4,3,1,2,3,1,5
Ability Scores 2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 6,5,4,3,5,3,6,3,6,3,6,4,5,6,5,3,4,1,1,2,2,4,2,2

9 hours ago, daltar said:

I'm considering given the setting and party group to make a Cleric. While I consider the build, any considerations about Twilight Cleric? Some tables consider it disruptive, some may appreciate the benefits it gives the PCs. Considering between it, Light or Life domains. Knowledge and Arcana could be fun, but the party already has a Wizard and a Warlock so arcane matters are well handled already.

I’m not opposed to a Twilight Cleric.

The Warlock is the player who left. The current party is a Drakemaster Ranger, Life Cleric, and Illusionist Wizard.

6 hours ago, JagrHunter said:

Alright..Kender paladin searching for why the gods aren't here completely...or something along those lines. Ideas?

That sounds like it could be an interesting pitch. I’d want to hear how s/he discovered the return of the gods in the backstory.

Thank you for the response! Good to see what the options are. Ah, though I saw Knight of the Realm and thought Paladin. I see, if we already have a Cleric, I may go with something else for variety.

Hmmm… now that I’m thinking on it, I see that the party doesn’t seem to have a Rogue.

I was originally leaning towards a Priestess of Gileam, but maybe an archaeologist would be the better course? Rolled up as an Inquisitive or Scout perhaps.

The party’s on Southern Ergoth right now, correct?

@codexgigas I noticed a difference in available playable races from this game and the Rise of Tahkisis game. Is that intentional? I had run across the other game first, before this one, so I didn't realize that some of the races were not available to play.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BuyCrom said:

Could we get a short recap of what's happened so far in the War overall?

Yes. The party is currently in the beginning stages of the module Dragons of Light and has completed Dragons of Despair, Dragons of Flame, Dragons of Hope, Dragons of Desolation, and Dragons of Ice.

The original party (all of whom have bowed out due to IRL changes) reconvened in Solace following a five-year quest to find traces of the lost gods. They killed a hobgoblin warrior, Fewmaster Toade, who attempted to arrest them as they came near the town. As part of their reunion, they learned that their companion, Kitiara uth Mathar, had abandoned their quest and was not returning. The Blue Crystal Staff of Mishakal was revealed at the Kozy Kiln, a local tavern, and the party fled to escape the wrath of High Theocrat Hederick. The were chased by strange dragon-men to the Darken Wood, where they encountered Araxis, who joined the party. They then journeyed to Xak Tsaroth, where they defeated the dragon Khisanth, found the Platinum Disks of Mishakal, and learned of the true gods. One party member was recognized as a cleric of Paladine and another as a paladin of Kiri-Jolith.

The party returned to Solace, where they were arrested by Kha-Denzah, a hobgoblin who had assumed Fewmaster Toade's command. They were being transported to Pax Tharkas when the Red Dragon Army's caravan was ambushed by Qualinesti elves, who rescued the party. The party agreed to assist the Qualinesti and were taken to Qualinost. Laurana Kanan, the daughter of the Speaker of the Sun, was kidnapped by Kha-Denzah, and the party journeyed with her brother Gilthanas to the Sia Mori, an ancient way into the fortress. They discovered the sword Wyrmslayer, freed the slaves of Pax Tharkas and defeated the Red Dragon Highlord Verminaard. They met Goldmoon and her lover Riverwind in Pax Tharkas, and Goldmoon became a cleric of Mishakal.

Following the liberation of Pax Tharkas, the party lead the refugees to the Hopeful Vale, while searching for a more permanent location to house the refugees as winter approached. The party explored the surrounding area and discovered the ruins of the dark wizard Fistandantilus' fortress, Skullcap. While exploring the ruins, they encountered Fizban, a befuddled wizard, who introduced them to Thorin Oakenshield, a dwarven ranger. Fizban transformed Wyrmslayer into a battleaxe, claiming it was a more appropriate weapon for a dwarf than a longsword. The party defeated a Fistandantilus, now a demilich, in the deepest level of Skullkeep. Among the wizard's notes, they found instructions on how to locate and open the gates of the dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin.

Returning to the Hopeful Vale, the party met Sir Gareth, a Knight of the Sword and Cleric of Habbakuk, who had been dispatched by the Knights of Solamnia to invite the High King of Thorbardin to join the Whitestone Council, which had been called one again to create an alliance to face the threat of the Dragonarmies. The party learned that Verminaard had been resurrected by Takhisis and that the Red Dragonarmy was approaching the Hopeful Vale. They entered Thorbardin, hoping to convince the dwarven king to allow the refugees of Pax Tharkas to take shelter in the dwarven kingdom. They found a kingdom in chaos, with no high king and warring thanes. The party assisted the son of the Hylar Thane in recovering the lost Hammer of Kharas, needed to crown a new high king. The party uncovered an alliance between the Red Dragonarmy and the dark dwarven clans of the Daergar and Theiwar dwarves. The party raised the alarm, defeated Verminaard once and for all, and allowed the Hylar thane to take the throne of Thorbardin. In gratitude for the party's actions, the refugees of Pax Tharkas were allowed to settle near Thorbardin's South Gate.

During the winter, it became clear that the mostly human refugees would not thrive in Thorbardin's underground kingdom. Goldmoon asked the party to journey south to Tarsis, a famous port, and to find ships that would allow the refugees to leave the continent of Ansalon and seek shelter from the war raging there. The party journeyed to Tarsis, meeting three Knights of Solamnia and the Silvanesti princess Alanna Starbreeze. They discovered that the Cataclysm had caused the sea to recede from Tarsis, leaving it landlocked. Clerics of Gilean assisted the party in escaping the city when the Red Dragonarmy, now lead by Kha-Denzah, attacked the city. The party chose to head south to the Icereach Glacier with the Knights of Solamnia, seeking a Dragon Orb. They befriended the Ice Folk of the glacier and assisted them in attacking Icewall Castle, the base of the White Dragonarmy. They defeated Sleet, a White Dragon, and Feal-Thas, the White Dragon Highlord, recovering a Dragon Orb. One of the Knights of Solamnia was killed in the siege of the castle, and Sir Gareth was unable to resurrect him.

Dragon Orb in hand, the party found a ship to take them to the island of Sancrist, the seat of the exiled leadership of the Knights of Solamnia. They were attacked by another white dragon off the coast of Southern Ergoth. The party defeated the dragon, but the conflict destroyed their ship. Using magic, the party managed to save the ship's crew, and they washed ashore on Southern Ergoth, where they were discovered by an elven hunting party.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Maester1216 said:

Hmmm… now that I’m thinking on it, I see that the party doesn’t seem to have a Rogue.

I was originally leaning towards a Priestess of Gileam, but maybe an archaeologist would be the better course? Rolled up as an Inquisitive or Scout perhaps.

The party’s on Southern Ergoth right now, correct?

That's correct. Given the current party, a rogue or another frontline fighter would compliment them well. The current cleric is often in melee, so a cleric or druid focused as a caster might also be helpful.

1 hour ago, Steel Warrior said:

@codexgigas I noticed a difference in available playable races from this game and the Rise of Tahkisis game. Is that intentional? I had run across the other game first, before this one, so I didn't realize that some of the races were not available to play.

That is intentional. The two games are occurring in different eras of the Dragonlance setting. At this time, Draconians are exclusively found in the ranks of the Dragonarmies. Irda are in hiding, and the minotaur have either allowed with the Dragonarmies or are maintaining a low profile so that the Minotaur Empire doesn't discover the existence of rebels who follow Kiri-Jolith rather than Sargonnas.

Also, since the other campaign is based in the Tyranny of Dragons adventure path, it makes sense to have rival factions coming together to prevent a cataclysmic threat. The divisions between the various factions in the War of the Lance are much more set.

That said, I do need to adjust the allowed races, since I copied what was allowed at the beginning of the campaign. Thorbardin is now open, so Mountain Dwarves are in play, and the party just discovered the Kagonesti elves, making Wood Elves a viable option.