Sheets Viewer Update - Cache Clear May Be Required ×

Character Creation OOC

Out of curiosity, I gather Tinker Gomes would be equivalent to Rock Gnomes and Mad Gnomes to Forest Gnomes? Or vice versa?

EDIT: Quick question about Health past level 1. Are we not factoring in Constitution modifier with the roll? For instance would a Rogue with a +2 Modifier for Constitution roll 1D4+6?

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Maester1216 said:

Out of curiosity, I gather Tinker Gomes would be equivalent to Rock Gnomes and Mad Gnomes to Forest Gnomes? Or vice versa?

EDIT: Quick question about Health past level 1. Are we not factoring in Constitution modifier with the roll? For instance would a Rogue with a +2 Modifier for Constitution roll 1D4+6?

Not necessarily. The largest gnome community is Mount Nevermind on Sancrist, and those gnomes would be Rock Gnomes. There are other, small gnomish communities on the continent of Ansalon, and those gnomes tend to be Forest Gnomes. In the setting’s terminology, most gnomes (both Rock and Forest) are Tinker Gnomes. They love to experiment, but they are cursed by the god Reorx to have their experiments never work properly. This doesn’t dissuade them, and Gnomes in Dragonlance are characterized by their perfectly illogical logic and love of Rube Goldberg-esque machines.

”Mad” Gnomes are the rare gnomes who escape Reorx’s curse. Their machines are simple and work properly. As a result, Mad Gnomes are usually expelled from gnomish society as irredeemably antisocial.

Constitution is applied to HP rolls as usual. These modules are 1st Edition meat grinders, so the HP formula is designed to give PCs higher than average HP, because you need it.

For my next question, can I get a little summary of the Half-Ogres and how they fit in the current era, if they would be appropriate for a party? My current plans shifted to a barbarian frontliner.

35 minutes ago, daltar said:

For my next question, can I get a little summary of the Half-Ogres and how they fit in the current era, if they would be appropriate for a party? My current plans shifted to a barbarian frontliner.

Some info on the OGMW under Races of Ansalon

I see! A pretty bleak prospect, for that race... I am reading through a Dragonlance wiki and are Oguna or Half-Ogres from the Broken Lands a thing available for this game?

1 hour ago, daltar said:

I see! A pretty bleak prospect, for that race... I am reading through a Dragonlance wiki and are Oguna or Half-Ogres from the Broken Lands a thing available for this game?

The Broken Lands are on a different continent from this campaign, and there is minimal travel between Krynn’s continents, And yes, half-ogres are pretty reviled in Ansalon.

Klar dwarves, Kagonesti elves, and human nomads are good options thematically for Dragonlance barbarians. You can use the Tasha’s rule to move ability score increases around.

Good to know, thank you!

That does put a damper on that idea, as Oguna worked more towards what I had in mind. I don't mind them being reviled, but if they are mostly found in human societies as the result of Ogre atrocities that makes it a bit harder.

The idea I had was for a half-ogre barbarian from an independent half-ogre tribe, like those described on the Broken Lands who are product of mingling with human tribesmen. Basically coming from her own culture of nomads, with a healthy respect for nature subsisting off the land and now she alone traveling on a heroic journey given the current danger the continent faces.

However, if that background is not possible given the societies and Half-Ogre population in Ansalon, then I'll have to desist on the idea.

27 minutes ago, JagrHunter said:

Would a hoopak be considered a polearm?

Hoopak

Weapon

Martial weapon, melee weapon

1 sp, 2 lb.

1d6 piercing - ammunition (40/160 ft.), finesse, special, two-handed

A hoopak is a sturdy stick with a sling at one end and a pointed tip at the other.

Special. When you make a melee attack with this weapon, you ignore its ammunition property. You can use the hoopak as a martial ranged weapon. If you do, it uses the ammunition property, uses sling bullets, and deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage on a hit.

Ammunition. You can use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a ranged attack only if you have ammunition to fire from the weapon. Each time you attack with the weapon, you expend one piece of ammunition. Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack. Loading a one-handed weapon requires a free hand. At the end of the battle, you can recover half your expended ammunition by taking a minute to search the battlefield.

If you use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a melee attack, you treat the weapon as an improvised weapon. A sling must be loaded to deal any damage when used in this way.

Finesse. When making an attack with a finesse weapon, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.

Two-Handed. This weapon requires two hands to use. This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it.

Source: DSotDQ, page 188

Probably.

3 hours ago, JagrHunter said:

Would a hoopak be considered a polearm?

Yeah, I agree with Rin. Since a hoopak is functionally a spear, it counts as a polearm.

Is it possible to have a weapon as a Pact Keeper instead of a rod? Fluff wise, I make a pact with a weapon (pact of the blade).
I would like to see about having a +2 Rapier of the Pact Keeper. I am willing to count it as my Rare and 1 Uncommon item, leaving me with 1 more uncommon item to choose from.

Taking the feat Warcaster and Crossbow Expert, so I can have a hand crossbow in my off hand.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

On 4/7/2024 at 5:33 AM, Steel Warrior said:

Is it possible to have a weapon as a Pact Keeper instead of a rod? Fluff wise, I make a pact with a weapon (pact of the blade).
I would like to see about having a +2 Rapier of the Pact Keeper. I am willing to count it as my Rare and 1 Uncommon item, leaving me with 1 more uncommon item to choose from.

Taking the feat Warcaster and Crossbow Expert, so I can have a hand crossbow in my off hand.

No. You can take a magic weapon or a wondrous item that increases your spell attacks, but they can't be the same item.