OOC Chat

Trish_the_Nugg_Queen

20 hours ago, Trish_the_Nugg_Queen said:

Also, for everyone, I'm considering boosting everyone's renown to 20 (Respected) to give some more options on requisition, I've noticed a few people struggling on what to choose and while I like the concept of renown tracking individual reputation & giving access to better equipment as a reward for character progress, I also don't want to lock fun equipment away.

While I would be ok with either option, I´d personally prefer to start from scratch and build our renown up

9 hours ago, luctius said:

First of all, I wouldn't rule out the Astartes Assault Shotgun I previously suggested; it is a cheap way to get Auto Fire, and a pretty good weapon in it's own right. Edit: Additionally, because it is cheap, and a basic weapon, you could easily requisition it, and for example a Flamer for less points than a Heavy Bolter.

I'm trying to cover different ground than what the rest of the party brings. The shotgun is a good weapon for suppression fire. For other purposes, it's essentially the same as a bolt pistol: Can be used in one hand and has 30m range.

I'm reading the suppression fire action (p243), and it doesn't specify how far out it reaches. @Trish_the_Nugg_Queen Can you make a ruling how far out the suppression effect reaches? Weapon range? Double weapon range?

If it's only within weapon range (30m for the shotgun), the Heavy Bolter has a huge advantage on outdoor terrain.

9 hours ago, luctius said:

That said, I think we have enough spray-type weapons. Suppression can be nice to slow one group while the we focus on another, or use our spray weapons/grenades. And a missile launcher's long range can fill in our weakness there.

I'm still struggling with my decision, so I'll take all input into account.

The reason I initially landed on the Phosphex Incinerator Cannon for the moment is its huge range. We have two flamers already in the party, but they're only 30m. I figured it would be nice to hit a lot larger area. But if you don't think that's very valuable, I'm willing to change my tune.

A missile launcher is definitely an option. Great range (250m), great damage (at least with Kraken missile). A heavy bolter also has good range (150m), and can also suppress, so it pulls sort of double duty. But if we really want to get those long distance hits in, the missile launcher is absolutely better.

My thinking on Heavy Bolter vs Assault Shotgun vs Phosphex Incinerator Cannon:

• The solid weapons can be both selective (explicitly targeting something) and indiscriminate (suppressing everything). The incinerator cannon is always indiscriminate.
  • Suppressive fire forces a save regardless of hitting anything. All enemies must make a Hard (-20) Pinning (Willpower) test. A single failure will force enemies to take cover, only get half actions, and take a -20 on BS tests. It is unlikely to damage anything.
  • The Incinerator cannon requires all enemies to make an Agility test to avoid being hit. If they succeed, nothing bad happens. If they fail, they take a good amount of damage and must make an Agility test to avoid being set on fire and pass a Fear (1) check. That's a lot of overlapping bad stuff coming from a single hit with the weapon, but it requires a lot of failed checks.
  • The heavy bolter always requires a full action, whether to fire or suppress. The incinerator takes a half action to fire. The assault shotgun has all options available.
  • The incinerator is abysmal when it comes to reliability, jamming 18% of the time. The heavy bolter jams 6% of the time. The shotun jams less than 0.6% of the time.
  • The heavy bolter has the highest damage potential against a single target (full auto 2d10+10, pen 6, Tearing). The assault shotgun is a close second, particularly when loaded with Slug rounds (full auto, 2d10+4 I, pen 0, Tearing, Felling(1)). The cannon is unmatched against groups of enemies (single 2d10+6 E, pen 6).
  • A suppressive field covers a 45 degrees angle. The cannon covers 30 degrees.
  • The Heavy bolter has the best range by far, with 150m, which can be further extended with Kraken rounds. The incinerator cannon has 60m, but can't hit anything beyond that range. The shotgun has 30m, but can go beyond with long or extreme range.
  • Against hordes, the heavy bolter will do 2xhits magnitude damage. The shotgun deals 1xhits magnitude, so it's better to lob a grenade. The incinerator cannon will do a massive 1d5+15 magnitude damage. Eh... I think the latter might be a little more than intended. I'll create a post about it in the 30k weapons thread.

If Trish rules that suppressive fire extends to at least long range (60m) for the shotgun, I'm extremely tempted to go with both the shotgun and a missile launcher to get some of the best of all worlds. Both combined are just 17 requisition, plus extra for slug and/or additional missiles.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

I've narrowed down Edryc "Shadow" Morrigan's selection.

Personal Requisition (55 Req)

• 1 Astartes Chainsword (5 Req)
  • 1 Astartes Boltgun (Stalker) (15 Req; Respected Renown)
  • 1 Stalker Rounds (5 Req)
  • 1 Red-Dot Laser Sight (10 Req)
  • 1 Multikey (15 Req)
  • 1 Cartograph (5 Req)

That leaves about 25 Req points left on the table. I toyed with the idea of grabbing a Melta Bomb (25 Req) or a couple Demolition Charges (10 Req each), but Shadow would offer that up to anyone on the Squad with the Demolition skill, or at the very least, a higher Intelligence than Shadow. Low confidence on Shadow's ability to make things go boom!

1 hour ago, IndyKophen said:
  •  

That leaves about 25 Req points left on the table. I toyed with the idea of grabbing a Melta Bomb (25 Req) or a couple Demolition Charges (10 Req each), but Shadow would offer that up to anyone on the Squad with the Demolition skill, or at the very least, a higher Intelligence than Shadow. Low confidence on Shadow's ability to make things go boom!

As was aptly pointed out to me; the demolition skill is not yet available at our current rank, and since Demolition is an advanced skill, nobody can use Demo Charges yet. While the Meta Bomb does not state the demolition skill explicitly, I would be surprised if it wouldn't also be governed by that skill.

Per the Rite of Battle book, Melta bombs are relisted with an updated cost of 12 req and mentions use of the Demolition skill. Also clarifies more on their rules of use:

MELTA BOMB

Used to breach ships’ hulls and heavily armoured vehicles and emplacements. Melta bombs are used by attaching them to a wall, hull, or bulkhead where they emit a furious, high-intensity melta beam that instantly cuts through even the thickest armour. While they’re not designed as anti-personnel mines, anyone unfortunate enough to be on the other side of a surface that a melta bomb is attached to takes half damage as the melta beam blasts through into the room or compartment. Melta bombs come with an integral timer that can be set for one hour. If the Demolition Test used to set the melta bomb fails by more than four degrees, the bomb immediately discharges, dealing full damage to everyone in its blast radius.

BTW Do any of the other books include requisitionable items or anything else of note? I only have the core rulebook and Rite of Battle. I haven't finalized by loadout yet, but presuming we are not getting the renown boost, I'll likely donate most of it to a party pool or anyone else who might need extra. I can't see myself using more than 10-20 points total without spending for the sake of spending. Happy to share if anyone wanted some more.

Edited by 8bitWizard (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 8bitWizard said:

BTW Do any of the other books include requisitionable items or anything else of note? I only have the core rulebook and Rite of Battle. I haven't finalized by loadout yet, but presuming we are not getting the renown boost, I'll likely donate most of it to a party pool or anyone else who might need extra. I can't see myself using more than 10-20 points total without spending for the sake of spending. Happy to share if anyone wanted some more.

First, the site https://www.40krpgtools.com/ has an overview of all weapons and armour from all books. Second, First Founding mostly has chapter specific gear, but has some general Deathwatch gear which I presume is available, and Honour the Chapter has Chapter Specific Relics for the described chapters of that book. So from the books you haven't got, only First Founding has some general items that can be interesting.

I think I´m beginning to have a final list of requisitions. I´ll include a short motivation for each item, and feel free to comment.

• Volkite Serpenta (10 Req) - Taking the weaker, smaller pistol version here, hoping to use it as a backup against hordes and primarily against more armored targets or structures, so I figure the bigger Blast isn´t necessary. Also @Trish_the_Nugg_Queen, would I be correct in assuming these are powered by some kind of charge packs?
  • Cartograph (5 Req) - Probably useful in general, and whether we attempt to recover or destroy the facility, having maps of it is probably a good idea. Hopefully we can also get the ship to update its data with some fresh scans before we drop
  • Camo Cloak (20 Req) - Boosts Concealment a bit, and since it looks like I´ll be one of the main ranged combatants, it con hopefully help me take some good firing positions, and provide some protection once there
  • Auto-Sense Goggles (10 Req) - Even though I don´t think we have any artillery or other support units to call upon in this mission, they still have many useful features besides guiding indirect fire
  • Bolter Clip of Metal Storm Rounds (Free) - Useful against hordes
  • Bolter Clip of Kraken Rounds (15 Req) - Useful for taking out heavy targets without getting in range of the Serpenta
  • Extra Bolter Clips of Regular Ammo (x2 N/A)
  • Extra Bolt Pistol Clips of Regular Ammo (x2 N/A)
  • Extra Volkite Serpenta Charge Pack (x2, N/A?)

This leaves 20 unused Req. I can probably spare it if someone else needs it, but otherwise I might use them to pick up an Auspex or another clip of Kraken rounds.

So I’ve made a formal decision regarding renown, I’ll allow anyone who would like to the option of taking items which require Respected renown. I just think there’s too many iconic weapons (flamers, meltas, power swords, etc) locked behind that level of renown.

Also, if I could get everyone to make one post each in the Mission Briefings thread listing their requisitions, keeping it all in the one place would help everyone to refer back to and would help me to see who hasn’t finalised their requisition yet. Just make the one post, and then edit it with any changes you make later on.

Have we settled on an oath of moment & squad leader? Also if there’s any questions I’ve missed that you’re still waiting for an answer on, don’t be afraid to pester me! It’s probably just gotten lost somewhere. I’m starting a new job soon and been a little overwhelmed

On 5/5/2024 at 6:45 AM, DarthAnthrax said:

would I be correct in assuming these are powered by some kind of charge packs?

Yes, I think lorewise they’re supposed to be older, more advanced versions of plasma weapons, so presumably they take some sort of more stable plasma cartridge

On 5/4/2024 at 3:36 PM, Ayeba said:

I'm reading the suppression fire action (p243), and it doesn't specify how far out it reaches. @Trish_the_Nugg_Queen Can you make a ruling how far out the suppression effect reaches? Weapon range? Double weapon range?

Good question… Since it doesn’t specify a range, and it involves rolling a Ballistic Skill test, I’ll say it’s resolved as a normal BS attack except where otherwise specified, so the normal bonuses/penalties to hit (such as weapons range) still apply (on top of the -20 to hit from suppressive fire)

52 minutes ago, Trish_the_Nugg_Queen said:

Good question… Since it doesn’t specify a range, and it involves rolling a Ballistic Skill test, I’ll say it’s resolved as a normal BS attack except where otherwise specified, so the normal bonuses/penalties to hit (such as weapons range) still apply (on top of the -20 to hit from suppressive fire)

I think you're misunderstanding the question. The chances to hit are almost negligible in the first place. I'm asking how far out the suppression effect reaches -- that is, how far does an enemy have to be to avoid making a pinning check?

I agree with Vorticar as squad lead, especially for our first mission. (Maybe I jumped the gun here a bit, but it is why I asked him for the augury in-game).

That said, considering his comments in-game about glory, and Degei's and others' reaction to them, Degei would kindly suggest a different Oath...

I would suggest Oath of the Astartes or Oath to the Emperor.

Edit: Trish: Do you agree with a trophy for my Chieftain Trophy RackFF.104

Like the great khans of old, the White Scars of the Achilus Crusade have taken to wearing trophy racks to display their triumphs and prowess in battle. Like the more common back banners used by Astartes commanders, a trophy rack identifies a Battle-Brother as a leader and captain of the Chapter. . It also inspires fear in those the Battle-Brother has already bested, by displaying the heads and other trophies of his victories over them. Before each mission, the Battle-Brother can choose a single type of enemy to be displayed on the rack. This could be a specific race (i.e. Orks), organisation (i.e. the Stigmartus), or foe (i.e. the chamberlain of a treacherous planetary governor).

A Chieftain Trophy Rack counts as a Back Banner.

When fighting members of this race, organisation, or foe, the Battle-Brother counts as having a Fear Rating of 1. At the GM’s discretion, Battle-Brothers may have to defeat a specific foe before they may place a trophy from it on their rack.
against the race Orks?
Edit2: IndyKophen, I just noticed your incredibly cool drawing!

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

On 5/8/2024 at 1:59 AM, Ayeba said:

I think you're misunderstanding the question. The chances to hit are almost negligible in the first place. I'm asking how far out the suppression effect reaches -- that is, how far does an enemy have to be to avoid making a pinning check?

Gotcha, I’m gonna say only up to the weapons normal range. It’s fairly difficult to pin orks regardless

6 hours ago, luctius said:

Edit: Trish: Do you agree with a trophy for my Chieftain Trophy RackFF.104

Like the great khans of old, the White Scars of the Achilus Crusade have taken to wearing trophy racks to display their triumphs and prowess in battle. Like the more common back banners used by Astartes commanders, a trophy rack identifies a Battle-Brother as a leader and captain of the Chapter. . It also inspires fear in those the Battle-Brother has already bested, by displaying the heads and other trophies of his victories over them. Before each mission, the Battle-Brother can choose a single type of enemy to be displayed on the rack. This could be a specific race (i.e. Orks), organisation (i.e. the Stigmartus), or foe (i.e. the chamberlain of a treacherous planetary governor).

A Chieftain Trophy Rack counts as a Back Banner.

When fighting members of this race, organisation, or foe, the Battle-Brother counts as having a Fear Rating of 1. At the GM’s discretion, Battle-Brothers may have to defeat a specific foe before they may place a trophy from it on their rack.
against the race Orks?

Yep, that’s fine! I’m assuming most/all of your characters have prior experience fighting orks, they’d be the most common alien to face in the Great Crusade even prior to Ullanor

I'm fine with Vorticar as squad leader as well.

I don't have any knowledge of the various oaths, so until I have some time to catch up and read what each are, I have no opinion on which one we should use. I defer that to the rest of the players.

I should have my requisition load out finished later today too.