Chapter One: Starfall

Degei Bajan (Stormseer)

Characteristic Bonuses: WS 45, BS 41, Str 438, Tgh 428, Ag 53, Int 41, Per 48, Will 55, Fel 39, Psy 3degei_bajam_portrait.png.f84c51bc9623a77330c51204b339f53b.png

Movement: 5/10/15/30, Awareness: 58(Sound,Sight)/48

Wounds: 20/20, Fate Points: 4/4

13 hours ago, Ayeba said:

"When have the Astartes ever been assigned to a task that was not inherently dangerous?"

Degei let out a bark of a laugh, "Indeed brother", he confirmed, "If we were not into danger, perhaps we should have taken other professions", he continued with a laughing. To which he added, after hearing Vorticar's words, but not in direct response of the Luna Wolf, "Then again there is inherent danger, and there is willful danger..."

Vorticar realy seemed to be a glory hound then, and also a suave leader. Dangerous, apart, even more dangerous in combination. Too often even effective. "Then again", he thought, "His own battle-brothers were also sometimes accused glory hunting, for their emphasis on speed. Mayhaps it was no different with Vorticar, still he should keep an eye on that one."

Degei was however surprised by the fury of Vulker's outburst, but he understood that everyone had lost either battle-brothers limbs or more to the enemy. However, techmarines were famous for there dispassion. "No apologies are necessary, for your passion and fury is commendable, brother", he stated to Vulkur, "But it is indeed better targeted at the enemy, for you will find no disagreement on this here."

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

Madoc Mannaw

madocportrait.png.1c6a151c7701039ce899e6e638801db0.png
Characteristics: WS:71 (+7) | BS:38 (+3) | S:51 (+12) | T:52 (+10) | A:44 (+4) | I:34 (+3) | P:42 (+4) | WP:38 (+3) | F:36 (+3)

Movement: 5/10/15/30 | Armor: Body 9, Rest 7

Wounds: 21/21 | Fate Points: 3/3

Madoc could see the measured respect in Vorticar's nod returned but knew there was more to it. Doubt, perhaps? It would not surprise him to be judged by his age, just as one might be quick to judge the fresh-faced Zorael for his. Madoc was already ancient by Astartes standards, and each passing year did him no favors. He paid it little mind; they would see what he was still capable of, and be grateful for it, when he stood on the battlefield once again.

"Tch! ...Greenskins." The word dripped off Madoc's lips like venom. "Nary a xenos more loathsome than an ork... Their kind is a blight upon the galaxy, a cancer to be excised and nothing more." Fewer words could express his hatred for the beasts, as savage a xenos as Madoc had ever faced, but his personal grudge against them had endured throughout the centuries. It would seem he was not alone in that hatred.

20 hours ago, Harding said:

"To oblivion the prizes and glory! I will find no peace until I have torn these xenos apart! They owe me a leg, an arm, and an eye, and many lifes of good Astartes from my Legion, and they will pay for it a thousandfold," Vulkar angrily growled, punctuating his words with a furious strike against the nearby wall, leaving a deep cavitation...

A single twitch of a silver brow is all the response Madoc showed to the tech-marine's outburst, momentarily considering if he should scold the hulking Salamander not for his brief lack of emotional control, but for damaging the Emperor's property. Nonetheless, he decided against it, instead extending his courtesy with a nod to Vulker.

"That anger will serve you well, lad. Remember it when you face them again." He turned his eyes towards the rest of the warriors, "Stupid as they may seem, never underestimate them: their strength nor their cunning. Matching their fury with your own is a good start, but it takes more wits than rage to fell a Warboss..." Whether or not Madoc has actually fought such an ork before, he keeps to himself. Somethings are better left unsaid.

Edited by 8bitWizard (see edit history)

Edryc "Shadow" Morrigan

Characteristics: WS 50 (+5), BS 44 (+4), S 35 (+8), T 38 (+6), Ag 49 (+5), Int 36 (+3), Per 44 (+4), WP 44 (+4), Fel 39 (+3)

Movement: 14/28/42/84 | Armor: Body 9, Rest 8

Wounds: 20/20 | Fate Points: 3/3 | Pain Suppressant Doses: 6/6

"Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—"

image.jpeg.5f81cba1112fada658904222a0341fcc.jpeg

Morrigan's, albeit poor, attempt to find commonality among his gathered cousins was shattered by Vorticar's mention of Greenskins, prompting Vulker's furious outburst! While the sudden response was surprising, the Salamander was not alone in his sentiments. The White Scar Degei Bajan and Death Guard Madoc Mannaw joined the chorus of disdain for their enemy, the foul xenos. Ever reserved, Morrigan refrained from lending voice to the mob.

While he had no love for xeno, mutant, or heretic, something about the Techmarine gave Morrigan pause. In his life before becoming a Space Marine, before the honorary titles and designated names, he was a but a slave to the Tech-Guilds of Kiavahr. The wealth and power-hungry Guildmasters, who governed the Tech-Guilds, ruled ruthlessly over the oppressed and maltreated slave caste forced to toil in the mines under booted heel. For the briefest faction of a second, the man that once was Edryc caught a glimpse of his past in the raging Techmarine.

Edited by IndyKophen (see edit history)

Zorael portrait

Zoreal EludianSanguinary Priest
WS 43 (+4) BS 39 (+3) S 40 (+10)
T 46 (+8) A 44 (+4) I 50 (+5)
P 44 (+4) WP 47 (+4) F: 42 (+4)

Wounds 19/19 | Fate Points: 3/3 | Pain Suppressant Doses: 6/6

Zorael is just about to answer to Morrigan when Grievius' outburst demanded his attention. It took him by surprise; he had not expected the Salamander to be so emotional on the subject. Considering his losses, it made sense.

"I almost feel sorry for any greenskins that crosses your path, Grievius," he acknowledged his cousin's rage. "If your goal is to avenge your legion a thousandfold, you have your work cut out for you. Remember that you have allies by your side that are more than willing to aid in your task."

He tried to come up with some fitting words to inspire the Salamander. The normal analogies he used for his own brethren would not suffice; he'd have to try something that better fit Grievius' legion.

"Instead of letting your rage burn out your forge, let it constantly simmer so the heat can be better exploited. That way, you can create and launch hundreds of assaults on your enemy. Earn your enemies' fear, rather than go down in a blaze of glory."

He had never personally met any greenskin himself, but he had remnants of his predecessors memories of their encounters. While they gave him some clues about their enemies, the more he knew, the better.

"May I ask those of you with personal experience with the greenskins to enlighten us with your wisdom? Are there any special tactics you would recommend when facing them?"

f69bacb801cf472cbc9890ad9d6d0aae.jpeg.fbe32688bc9a625abbf13c4b207d11f6.jpegElyas Zelman - Dark Angel

WS 42 ♦ BS 57 ♦ S 63 ♦ T 47 ♦ A 48 ♦ I 55 ♦ P 45 ♦ W 47 ♦ F 40

Movement 5/10/15/30 ♦ Carry/Lift/Push 900/1800/3600

Armor Body 9, All Other 7 ♦ Wounds 23/23 ♦ Fate 3/3 ♦ Pain Suppressor Doses 6/6

Awareness 50 ♦ Scrutiny 22 ♦ Command 50

Elyas watched the conversation proceed around him, preferring to listen and observe rather than join in. It seemed these people had finally begun to drift their conversation towards more productive topics, like their current assignment and how to prepare for it. He looked over at the Death Guard veteran, appreciating the truth of his words. No enemy - no matter how savage or primitive - should ever be underestimated, that path only lead to ruin. He had only minor experience with orks himself but he knew them to be savage and ferocious, and in their own ways, cunning.

"I´d say our friend over there" - he pointed towards Madoc - "has the right idea. The worst thing you can do is underestimate them. If we stay alert and use the strengths we have, we will crush them with ease. But if we grow overconfident and start to ignore the power they possess, things will become much more complicated than they need to be"

Vulker Grievius

image.png.e41bed5b2059f0ace541e5d0524ac2c8.pngSalamander Tech Marine Rank 1

Wounds: 20/20 | Fate: 3/3 |SB: 8 (+10 in armor) |TB: 10 (+2 to head, legs, arms)

BS WS S T Ag Int Per Wp Fel
49 42 66 50 43 53 44 43 39

Damage resistance:

Body: 10 + 10 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty) Head: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty)

Arms: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty) Legs: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty)

Vulker, despite receiving nods of approval from some of the other Astartes for his fury, still felt a pang of shame for his outburst. His training and conditioning on Mars had instilled in him a sense of peace and logical thinking, suppressing the primitive human emotions that could cloud judgment. Yet, the memories of his brothers' massacre and the brutal torture inflicted by the Greenskins remained painful wounds, unexpectedly raw and unhealed. Perhaps Brethen Vorticar's words had stirred echoes of past legionnaires who had spoken of glory, only to meet gruesome ends at the hands of savage xenos.

Moreover, Vulker was deeply ashamed of the damage he had inflicted upon the ship. Such disrespect for the machine spirit weighed heavily on him. He knew that repairing the damage himself and performing the proper rites of repentance were necessary to appease the spirit and seek his forgiveness.

Raising his head and resuming his placid expression, Vulker observed as the servo-arm mounted on his back began repairing the wall damage caused during his emotional outburst, silently listening to the ongoing discussion.

When Brother Elyas cautioned against underestimating the Orks, Vulker decided to offer his own insights.

"Brother Elyas speaks truth. From my previous encounters, Orks are highly unpredictable and must be approached with caution," Vulker began, his voice measured and precise. "They often employ reckless charges, relying on brute strength and unnatural resilience to press forward. Employing standard defensive tactics can yield favorable results against their initial assaults. However, their tactics can suddenly shift to the unexpected. Some of them will start to be creative and erratic, catching even seasoned Astartes off guard. They fearlessly attempt the most unconventional strategies, often succeeding due to their lack of fear, may it be death or defeat. It is during these unpredictable moments that we suffer heavy casualties. There is nothing more dangerous than a Greenskin with new ideas - they don't care about anything other than getting into a brawl with you."

Degei Bajan (Stormseer)

Characteristic Bonuses: WS 45, BS 41, Str 438, Tgh 428, Ag 53, Int 41, Per 48, Will 55, Fel 39, Psy 3degei_bajam_portrait.png.f84c51bc9623a77330c51204b339f53b.png

Movement: 5/10/15/30, Awareness: 58(Sound,Sight)/48, Wounds: 20/20, Fate Points: 4/4

Degei listened intently to Madoc's, Elyas' and Vulker's insights on facing the Greenskins, his eyes reflecting a blend of respect and curiosity. There was a certain wisdom in the Astartes' words, earned through harsh experience, and Degei was eager to absorb it into his own understanding of warfare.

"Your wisdom resonates deeply, Brother Vulker," Degei acknowledged, his tone sincere and appreciative. "The Greenskins, for all their brutish appearance, possess a cunning that makes them formidable. Adaptability is our greatest asset in facing such adversaries."

Pausing briefly, Degei contemplated the strategic implications of Vulker's counsel. "Indeed, we must anticipate their ever-shifting tactics and guard against their unpredictable maneuvers. Stagnation invites defeat; we must remain agile and dynamic in our response."

With a solemn nod, Degei continued, his voice lowering almost to a whisper as he reflected on a troubling memory. "Above all, we must remember the purpose of our mission, and not succumb to the thrill of battle for its own sake." He recalled a haunting image of a fellow Brother consumed by unchecked ferocity, a cautionary tale of losing oneself in the heat of combat.

Thoughts of Brother Jurgei surfaced, his absence weighing on Degei's mind. "Where has Brother Jurgei vanished to?" he wondered silently, troubled by the unanswered questions surrounding his comrade's sudden departure into the hands of the Zadyin arga.

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

Zorael portrait

Zoreal Eludian
WS 43 (+4) BS 39 (+3) S 40 (+10)
T 46 (+8) A 44 (+4) I 50 (+5)
P 44 (+4) WP 47 (+4) F: 42 (+4)

Wounds 19/19 | Fate Points: 3/3 | Pain Suppressant Doses: 6/6

Zoreal listened to the various opinions on greenskins and compared them to his predecessors fragmented memories.

"Are greenskins truly fearless?" he asked, "Will they run unflinchingly into bolter fire or more literal fire to get to their enemies? That sounds less like 'fearless' and more like 'brainless'. One that seeks to end his own life as quickly as possible should not be labeled 'brave'."

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

Madoc Mannaw

Characteristics: WS:71 (+7) | BS:38 (+3) | S:51 (+12) | T:52 (+10) | A:44 (+4) | I:34 (+3) | P:42 (+4) | WP:38 (+3) | F:36 (+3)

Madoc raised an eyebrow at the Blood Angel's comment, unsure if he should attribute it to ignorance or simple naivety. The young Astartes had clearly never faced the Greenskin menace before, and as such the old Death Guard could not begrudge his lack of insight.

He shook his head. "They're not suicidal, youngblood. Brave as any xenos I've seen--loathe as I am to call them such--the ork possesses a peculiar sort of cunning. They fear not pain, nor failure, driven only by their will to fight. Cut off their legs, and still, they'd crawl into battle. Cut off their arms, and they'd use their teeth as weapons. Cut off the head? Ha! The next ork is just as like to use it as a cudgel." His voice darkened, clouded by the pain of battles past, and Madoc reached out to lay a heavy hand upon Zorael's pauldron. The Death Guard veteran looked him square in the eye, his face deathly serious. "It is folly to presume mankind's own disposition upon the alien mind. Underestimate them at your peril."

Realizing his sudden closeness, Madoc retracted his gauntlet from the crimson shoulder pad, almost looking embarrassed beneath his many scars. "I...have lost too many good men, neophytes and battle-brothers alike, to their wicked kind. I'll not lose another, not if I can help it."

Vorticar Seraddon
spacer.png

Characteristic Bonuses: Str +10, Tgh +8, Ag +3, Int +4, Per +3, Will +4, Fel +5

Wounds: 22/22

Movement: 4/8/12/24

Armour: Body - 10 (Front)/6 (Back), Arms - 7 (Front)/6 (Back), Other Locations - 9 (Front)/6 (Back)

Pain Suppressant Doses: 8/8

Current Ammunition: N/A

Fate Points: 3/3

Vorticar's brow arches at the Salamander's venomous rage, but as Vulker calms himself a smile creeps in from the corner of his mouth. He listens as the others speak and begins to notice some measure of a pattern; it would seem a great many of the assembled Astartes - himself included - have personal experience (or grievance) in fighting Greenskins. Such rage was being focused into a finely honed weapon, but of what sort? Were they a knife... or a hammer?

As each Astartes speaks in turn on the matter of strategy against the Greenskins, his gaze follows each in turn as he absorbs their words. Finally he speaks up, echoing much of what Madoc said.

"Truly fearless? Not wholly, no. Their bravery is commiserate to their numbers. Typical of any army I suppose, save that an Ork horde can number in the many millions. The sobriquet 'Green Tide' is more accurate than most realize. But as the others have said, do not mistake them for mere animals. They may prefer a brutally direct path, but have a feral cunning about them. They are durable as well - such obstructions as you've listed Zorael are more likely to slow them down rather than stop them. All the more glorious a battle, no?"

Vorticar rubs at his chin in thought. "Their own tactics can be used against them however. I did as much on Gyros-Thravian, battling the forces of Gharkul Blackfang to great effect. Killing their champions and leaders will inspire awe and fear amongst their common soldiery in the short-term, and cause infighting in the long-term, as warriors fight amongst themselves to secure the fallen's position. The fact that the Greenskins enjoy killing each other as much as us is perhaps the only reason they have not overrun the galaxy... and makes the force here at Ullanor all the more dangerous."

A question on his mind, Vorticar looks aside to Madoc. "The Death Guard were part of the army sent to Gyros-Thravian as I recall, alongside we Luna Wolves and the Imperial Fists. The Pale King himself commanded, alongside my father and Rogal Dorn. Did you serve there Madoc?"

There was an edge to Vorticar's question, a probing quality not unlike a young wolf sizing up an old alpha.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)

Madoc Mannaw

1 hour ago, Maester1216 said:

A question on his mind, Vorticar looks aside to Madoc. "The Death Guard were part of the army sent to Gyros-Thravian as I recall, alongside we Luna Wolves and the Imperial Fists. The Pale King himself commanded, alongside my father and Rogal Dorn. Did you serve there Madoc?"

Madoc's dark eyes turned to face Vorticar, staring in silence a moment longer than one should take to answer such a simple question. He took caution not to let his weathered face express the emotion behind it, the shame of his own failures, but slowly shook his head. There was no sense lying to his newest comrades-in-arms.

"No." He said simply. A heavy pause followed, threatening no further explanation before the Death Guard admitted, stone-faced, "By order of my Legion Command, for the past century or so, I have been charged with overseeing the training of Barbarus' young neophytes. It has been my honor to shape them into soldiers worthy of the XIV Legion. This new assignment has relieved me of that distinction." Now that bordered on a lie. Sergeant Mannaw was not resentful of his duties and preformed them without complaint, but every pox-marked boy he'd seen rise to a man and don the armor of a Legionary was a bitter pill to swallow, at least until recently. His broad shoulders rolled faintly, feeling almost uncomfortable in his power armor. It had been a long time since he last wore it. "From what my brothers have told me, t'was a dark day to be had until the Emperor and his Guardians took to the field and slew the vile Blackfang. Ach, would that I could have been there, to see Him glorious battle once more..."

Madoc trailed off as disquiet roiled inside of him. No doubt now they would see him as warrior past his prime, a washed-out mongrel fit only to teach the young dogs new tricks. Or worse yet, a liability: a tired old soldier keen on finding some honorable death at their expense. Let them have their misgivings; he would prove them wrong. He stood now on an Imperial flagship. By the day's end, he just might see his Emperor again...

"Said you're with the 10th Company, aye? You must have fought on Krypt, then. Battle-Captain Garro spoke highly of Captain Loken, and his Wolves. Nary a finer a legion he'd rather fight alongside, he told me. I look forward to seeing Brother Nathaniel's words proven true." He nodded in cautious respect, eager to change the subject from his own 'honors' to another's.

Vorticar Seraddon
70b720bc68262cc0dea4af78fe6b7e0d.jpg

Armour: Body - 10 (Front)/6 (Back), Arms - 7 (Front)/6 (Back), Other Locations - 9 (Front)/6 (Back)

Vorticar listens as Madoc recounts his tale, his face impassive and his smile dispersed for the time being. There was more to the Death Guard's story that much was clear, but the Wolf had no intention of pressing him on it - whatever shame or dishonour warranted such a demotion for so old a warrior was for him and him alone. All the more reason to keep him on side then; Mannaw may have some honour and glory to his name yet, and Vorticar can take pride in seeing him to it.

"It was. Before now, Gharkul Blackfang was perhaps the most powerful Ork Warlord the Crusade has done battle with, and the arms and armies at his disposal did not disappoint in that regard; even with the might of three Legions and three Primarchs at the fore defeat seemed all but certain for us... and for some it was." Vorticar pauses to collect himself, for he still felt great pain at the events that followed.

"A dear friend - Erigor he was called - gave his life to push me out of the line of fire of a Kill Kannon. With his fall I resigned myself to kill as many Orks as I could before my own death... but then the Emperor himself and his Golden Legion appeared from the Bucephelus. It was a sight I shall never see again I wager Madoc - Blackfang and his Gargant brought down by the fiery blade of the Emperor, the Orks laid to waste by the Custodians - a thousand He brought planetside, and each felled 100 Orks a piece!! And at a cost of only three Custodes! The battle was won at a stroke and the Orks scattered, but I shan't forget that day for as long as I live."

As the discussion shifted to his own service history Vorticar chuckled and nodded at the old Astartes as his smile returns. "Indeed! We turned the blue ice of Krypt dark with xenos blood if memory serves. A fine campaign, and fought alongside fine soldiers - Battle-Captain Garro and his men did their legion proud and earned their honours, as I hope all present here do in the war to come. One Helig Gallor of the 7th Company in particular stood out for his prowess with heavy weapons, perhaps you know him?"

The talk of battles and honours stokes more curiosity in Vorticar, who turns back to the others. "Here I am prattling on as though you are all Remembrancers! Come, let us know the true quality of our mettle; what honours and glory have you all to your names?"

Vulker Grievius

image.png.e41bed5b2059f0ace541e5d0524ac2c8.pngSalamander Tech Marine Rank 1

Wounds: 20/20 | Fate: 3/3 |SB: 8 (+10 in armor) |TB: 10 (+2 to head, legs, arms)

BS WS S T Ag Int Per Wp Fel
49 42 66 50 43 53 44 43 39

Damage resistance:

Body: 10 + 10 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty) Head: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty)

Arms: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty) Legs: 12 + 8 from armor (-1 armor if injured/dirty)

Vulker observed Brethen Vorticar as he recounted the tale of Gharkul Blackfang and the dramatic turn of events during the battle. The grim realities of war and the sacrifice of comrades resonated deeply within Vulker's own memories. As Vorticar spoke of his dear friend Erigor's heroic sacrifice, Vulker couldn't help but recall similar moments of selflessness and bravery amidst the chaos of battle.

"Brother Vorticar," Vulker began in his steady, vox-modulated voice, "Your tale of valor and the Emperor's intervention is inspiring. It reminds me of a time during my neophyte days when I too defied orders to aid fellow marines pinned down by Orks."

Vulker paused, reflecting on the memory before continuing, "We were on the fringes of the Mordian sector, tasked with securing a vital promethium refinery. As scouts, our mission was reconnaissance, but when a distress call came in from a nearby marine squad under heavy Ork assault, I knew action was required."

Without breaking eye contact, Vulker recounted the tense moments of disobedience that followed. "I led a handful of scouts to reinforce our embattled brothers. We used hit-and-run tactics to draw fire away from the pinned squad, basically making the Orks frustrated and pursuing us. This bought my brother precious time to regroup and push back, to found a fortified location to better deal with the tide. It was a risky move, but the lives saved were worth the risk."

As the conversation shifted to the topic of bionic replacements, Vulker's gaze briefly shifted to his cybernetic limbs, a stark reminder of his own harrowing ordeal. "The Orks managed to capture me and the other scouts," he began solemnly, "keeping us captive and subjecting us to hours of cruel torture. When our fellow marines finally assaulted their position, they found me and two other neophytes with critical wounds."

"Transported to Mars," Vulker continued, his tone measured, "I underwent extensive reconstruction by the adept hands of the Mechanicus. The process was grueling but necessary. Each bionic implant serves as a testament to my actions—both an honor for aiding more experienced marines and a mark of dishonor for disobeying orders."

"I spent 30 years on Mars," Vulker added, reflecting on his time among the Tech-Priests, "where I was initiated into the practices of the Cult. It was there that I became a full-fledged Techmarine."

Vulker's expression remained placid, his voice unwavering as he recounted these personal experiences. "When I came back, my first task was to construct my own armor using the salvaged pieces from the fallen marines from the squads we saved that day," he explained, a note of solemnity in his voice. "The captain of the squad entrusted me with these components both as a tribute, but was also as a warning for my actions that day I suppose."

With a brief pause, Vulker concluded, his red eye blinking purposefully, "Their memory lives on through this armor, a constant reminder of the debt I owe to my brothers and the duty I carry forward in their name."

His story told, he turned his attention toward the wall he maimed, and started repairing the damage while reciting a prayers in Lingua-Technicis while he was applying sacred oil on the surface.

A set of bulkhead auto-doors open, and through the doorway steps a figure that dwarfs even yourselves; in resplendent power armour of gleaming white, with gold trim in the shape of stylised lightning bolts, Horus Lupercal strides into the room, unhelmed and wearing a relaxed smile. "Honoured Astartes, I bid you, attend me. You have all waited patiently for long enough, it is time you learned the truth of your summons here today."

He looks around to each of you in turn, his gaze lingering for a moment on Vorticar, giving his gene-son a respectful nod. "As you're already aware, the Empire of Ullanor is the largest Ork realm our Great Crusade has yet faced. As Ancient Rome was once tested in the forge of battle with Carthage, so too do we find ourselves now; Ullanor will either be the whetstone that sharpens the blade of humanity, or the force which breaks it once and for all. The Imperium - and, by extension, the human race - lives or dies by virtue of our actions in the coming offensive."

His smile fades to a more serious expression. "While the largest force of Astartes ever assembled marches for Ullanor Prime, we require a squad of our most elite troops, to operate deep behind enemy lines with little to no assistance, and certainly no chances for reinforcement, conducting surgical strikes to cripple the enemy's war effort at the most critical junctures. Each of you has been selected for your skill, your courage and valour; many of you have shamed your reputations in the past, yet have proven worthy of a second chance. Perhaps most importantly, you have been selected on the belief that you will cooperate most closely across legionary lines. We are all crafted from the Emperor's genetic code, brothers united in our cause. Now, more than ever, we need proof that the Legiones Astartes can work together effectively."

Vorticar Seraddon
70b720bc68262cc0dea4af78fe6b7e0d.jpg

"A grim reminder indeed kinsmen, to gird yourself in the failings of the past. Yet in that there is strength - and perhaps a little irony - I reckon, that such failings may protect and aid you as you right those faili-"

Turning at the sound of the opening bulkhead doors, Vorticar instinctually takes a knee and bows his head upon seeing his gene-father. He maintains a respectful silence as the Lupercal speaks, overawed by the majesty of his presence and commanding bearing. In over a century of service across countless battlefields, Vorticar couldn't recall ever being this close to his Primarch. There was an indescribable strength about Horus' aura and yet he still seemed... familiar. As though he could be just as comfortable here as in the trenches of some alien world alongside the soldiery. Vorticar swelled with pride at the notion and knew, in that moment, that greatness was not beyond his grasp.

As Horus speaks the fullness of the strategy at play unveils itself in Vorticar's mind. While no true student of history - he'd sooner make it with sword and bolter - even he cannot deny the momentous quality of the events at hand. Only when his Primarch has finished speaking and a moment's silence passed does he speak in turn.

"We are to be the knife then my lord. A thousand thousand cuts so we may bleed the Greenskins to the marrow, and allow you to drive the Speartip all the more surely into their foul heart. In this we shall not fail you my lord, so I swear on my honour... and my life."

Two very good motivators for any Astartes...

ร—
ร—