Questions thread

Rudra

I've just been busy, honestly. Still fully intending to submit something when I can.

Although no matter how much time passes, it's fun to see how strikers are the most popular apps overall

Hello, everyone,

will likely use roll20 for that

Does this mean we need to log in to roll20 regularly to participate in the game?

Does this mean there will be real-time sessions on roll20?

Edited by rover (see edit history)

No real time sessions, roll20 would be used exclusively to provide a combat map, a player would log in to roll20 to move their token, draw lines for area effects, place a sign for marked/debuffed enemies.

I wasn't planning to apply for more games, but Rudra tipped me about this one. I have very fond memories of the games I've played with him, so I'm going to apply.

A slight issue is that I'm rusty as hell on 4e mechanics, but it'll probably work out.

While reading the description, I had an immediate idea: The psionic healer class that can affect people's feelings, based on the sin Lust. The twist is that he or she is also affected by other's feelings, and can turn into what people desire, based on some trigger.

I realize the concept can devolve into some rather... uncomfortable territory. I intend to keep it PG-13. But if someone has issues with the concept, please let me know.

Posted (edited)

The psionic classes are valid, as long as you refluff them.

A curse that make your character feel certain emotions when casting is valid.

Influencing others emotions is only valid if the power has an effect or a keyword that say so (es. Fear keyword, or a charm power)

Turning into what people desire is not a valid curse, I don't know if there is a power able to replicate it, as alternative I may suggest - I'm constantly chased by the wrong kind of men/women- as a valid curse.

Edit. Of course nothing stop another player from role-playing emotional side effects of your powers(there are plenty if examples of power of friendship/love/hate/anger ) but that will be their choice

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

Could maybe pull something like that off with Changeling from Eberron since making changes to physical appearance is a minor action at will power for them, making it part of a curse rather than a race issue.

Actually that's sort of where I'm at now, I know I want a fiery tiefling bard (cunning), but I'm not sure how I want to do the curse and sin to a lesser extent. Could tie it to the tiefling-ness or there could be actual tieflings out there which might have implications given the setting. Like a difference between some bloodline that's causing issues or instead maybe a scholar who got wrapped up in infernal type research.

Lust was what I was going for with my hexblade warlock. I still haven't figured out what his supreme curse would be so any ideas and/or help coming up with something would be good, please.

Posted (edited)

I think each person has it's own style and preferences when building characters , ideally the curse is something quirky, out of the ordinary, somewhat disadvantageous but that you like and want to play out, this is the key for a good curse, dont put something that will have minimal impact just to forget about it but use the opportunity to try something strange that you want to see/happen.

To make an example, some time ago i did apply(unsuccessfully) for a pathfinder game with a weather controller spellcaster, that game didnt have curses but as side effect of the character great power i did write that "her mood affected the local weather" , if shes sad it rain, if shes angry the air get colder...nothing that would significantly impact the game, from a mechanical point of view, but role-play wise that was something i did find incredibly cool and wanted to try out even if it made my character easier to read.

But a curse can be something that has nothing to do with your class or role, it doesnt even have to be particularly exotic, it can be about your character behavior, like you can have a curse that -when i meet someone for the first time i feel compelled to hug them- or -i must answer a question with a question-

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

@Rudra, an idea for a curse I'd like to hear your opinion on: A refluffed Thiefling Psion (so not a weapon user) whose age varies throughout the day like a pendulum. For example:

• Day 1 right after midnight: Kid
  • Day 1 morning: Teenager.
  • Day 1 Noon: Adult
  • Day 1 Evening: Middle-aged
  • Day 1 Midnight: Elderly
  • Day 2 Morning: Middle-aged
  • Day 2 Noon: Adult
  • Day 2 Evening: Teenager
  • Day 2 Midnight: Kid again.

It need not go all the way down to a kid if you're not comfortable with it; it can stop at teenager or even young adult. This has no direct impact on the rules, but will affect how she acts and how others perceive her. It's very different when her teenager version tries to intimidate vs an old woman being intimidating.