Questions thread

Rudra

8 hours ago, Rudra said:

Fascinating curse, i like it, ive no problem with the character temporarily appearing like a kid.

Great. I'll work on the character when I have time.

I've been slowly building a dwarf warden to try out tank role but also to personify sloth as being burdened by their very nature, the earth clings to them as they become more elemental than dwarf. I'm quite new to 4e though so it's taking me a minute, always wanted to give it an honest shake.

Earth forger theme was a great find! I'll try to come up with actual mechanics/detriments of a curse.

Yeah, if I had time to play another game I would have gone for something similar. Love the warden theme and class, and had a great earth strength dwarf warden in a home game before that was super tough between number of surges and those defensive boosts on surge. Ended up a world tree guardian for the regeneration, but realised it was slightly misaligned to regular surge spending..still fun though.

Hilariously had an arc where I needed him to "die" to go to dwarven Valhalla - rolled 3 nat 20 death saving throws in that battle. Really cemented him narratively as one tough cookie for the party thanks to lucky (or unlucky) dice.

I'm still grappling with the curse too. Sin maybe a little, but the curse moreso. I'm thinking since nobody else has done anything with tieflings maybe that could tie into the curse for me? Like there's no formal tiefling 'race' but it's instead a manifestation of a curse. Of course that might push the character to be classified as a monster and I don't know if I want that. And as a curse it doesn't seem like much, like it should be that on top of something probably?

I have to say -no- to "the tieflings arent a race but a curse", part of the story touch related topics and i'd rater not make spoilers 😅 tieflings are race and they have been saved by Ytar, like all other player available races (note that this is the belief of the main religion, it doesnt necessarily mean it's the absolute truth)

You cant be classified as a monster , monsters are either killed, exploited by criminal organizations or, in the best case, treated as valuable restricted property under the title of sanctioned monsters.

To throw some ideas, maybe your character was born human and the curse is giving them diabolical features, at the current stage they appear like tiefling but under certain conditions it can get worse(temporarily or permanently, up to you, as long as it doesnt become unrecognizable)

Finally finished my character, especially with deciding the supreme curse. I hope it works but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll change it. Either way, done with my app.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

I have to say -no- to "the tieflings arent a race but a curse", part of the story touch related topics and i'd rater not make spoilers 😅 tieflings are race and they have been saved by Ytar, like all other player available races (note that this is the belief of the main religion, it doesnt necessarily mean it's the absolute truth)

You cant be classified as a monster , monsters are either killed, exploited by criminal organizations or, in the best case, treated as valuable restricted property under the title of sanctioned monsters.

To throw some ideas, maybe your character was born human and the curse is giving them diabolical features, at the current stage they appear like tiefling but under certain conditions it can get worse(temporarily or permanently, up to you, as long as it doesnt become unrecognizable)

Well that's good to know. I honestly only thought in that way because I wasn't sure how tieflings would work with the world fluff but now I know and can work with that. With tieflings actually being a "thing" though I'll probably go easier and just have them be a real tiefling and do something novel with the curse.

Vashara is also complete and ready for review. Hopefully the curse works well, if not I have a few more I can think of!

Alright, before I get into it officially, I have an idea for a curse but I'm hesitant about it because it might not be enough, or it might not be what is being looked for.

Idea is a scholarly sort of person who delved into old tiefling magic and got cursed with something that makes them enfeebled. But their particular form of magic they were good at I guess I'd qualify it as like puppeteering charms (which bards get tons of). So as the curse progressed and they got less and less able to move around on their own power, they started using that puppeteering magic on themselves so they could move around. And now its to the point they basically wear segmented armor all the time so they can manipulate that directly while putting less stress on their body.

Their movements are jerky and their staff implement is probably used as a walking tool more than not but otherwise they can get around just fine mechanically. Thinking Envy as the sin, tied into a lot of stuff they aren't really able to do anymore themselves but their puppeteering magic is still strong as ever, so there's that bit of it too.

There's also the description of the curse. I know whatever it is makes them enfeebled but I feel there's probably a really cool and interesting way to describe that/build off that I'm not coming up with right now. Like it could be a lot "more" and I'm just focused on an effect of it now.

Posted (edited)

Dont stress too much on the curse, the objective is not making something i like, but something you would like to play(that i find valid) you can start with something brief and expand later, maybe the character hasnt fully understood their curse yet, an easy justification to introduce things at a later time.

This curse remind me one of the npc i've made, Tebi, she too has a curse that weaken her but found a workaround to limit the effects, considering this i see no reasons to reject your curse proposal EDTA, same thing for the Sin, it's something that the character chose, it can be a sin that most represent them, or something they pick for other reasons, select what you like.

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

Working on ideas as we speak! Partly trying not to step on any toes. Noticing a lot of strikers, lots of Charisma focus, so trying to determine what ideas I'm working on fit the greater needs of a balanced party.

I think I've settled on a concept, so I'll try to get that up ASAP.

@Rudra I'm planning on going with a Genasi, which kind of falls into tiefling territory where they're humanoid but clearly, visibly not "human." Do Genasi occupy the world, or should I consider the Genasi manifestation to be some side effect of the various curses they're living with?

Genasi do exist and are a valid player race, just like tiefling.

The genasi are a minority, an uncommon race, considering the world geography your kingdom has more Earth and Air genasi

Outside your kingdom: to the east is easier to find earth and fire genasi, to the (far)west is easier to find air genasi, to the south-west is easier to find fire&water genasi

south east is not colonized

Regarding the monster; Should it be a monster from one of the books, or can we just come up with something for fun? Can it be an intelligent monster, like a Pixie?