OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - As Above, So Below

bwatford

I've had several very full days in a row and my brain has been too tired to do much else. Just checking in for now; I'll be back tonight or tomorrow and hopefully have a post! Feel free to push forward unless there's something you need from Zelda (I haven't caught up on the IC yet).

Just a heads up, I will be on vacation May 5th - 13th (Beach Trip) so there will be no updates during that time. Although I still will be available sporadically on the discord.

As long as Question can get Tiny Hit up, it's not a problem to camp out in the open.

Is there a limit to how far she can send her familiar? I'm reading the description, and the only limitation seems to be his far away it can be and share its senses or communicate telepathically. From what I see, it seems that I can send it on a trip far away, use an action to recall it to a pocket dimension regardless of range, and another action to call it back again to a square within 30 feet.

The problem is that it's not particularly smart, but it should be capable of telling if whatever is gleaming is moving or stationary.

I won't be able to get an IC post until tomorrow at the earliest.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Is there a limit to how far she can send her familiar? I'm reading the description, and the only limitation seems to be his far away it can be and share its senses or communicate telepathically. From what I see, it seems that I can send it on a trip far away, use an action to recall it to a pocket dimension regardless of range, and another action to call it back again to a square within 30 feet.

The problem is that it's not particularly smart, but it should be capable of telling if whatever is gleaming is moving or stationary.

There is not a limit, you give it instructions and it goes and completes the task to the best of its ability and will return if it is able. But will describe things back to you based on its intelligence.

Considering the item/person/object only caught the gleam of the sun for a few minutes it's doubtful that it could go directly to what caused it, but you certainly could send it scouting if you like.

I think it’s worth a check before hoofing it up the mountain. We can send a familiar, which would be best I think, or Sanaa out to look at it, but Sanaa can’t speak/think back so it would be an interpretive thing. Alternately, taborlin could ride out and see it, using steed speed to go quick, noodles could scout/sneak.

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically.
Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

The telepathy is 100 feet, but is the senses only that range or is it further?

Cool thank you @bwatford it's what I thought.

I might have to get this next

Voice of the Chain Master
Prerequisite: Pact of the Chain feature

You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Additionally, while perceiving through your familiar’s senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

How far is it to the base of the spire, if we were to go on foot?

Zelda can always use wild shape to keep up with Taborlin and/or Sanaa, if we decide to go that route. She can wild shape into a riding horse (60 ft. speed) or panther (50 ft.). I also have invisibility if desired.

I'd say wait for the familiars first, and then decide if we want to follow with a scouting party (or the whole party). Perhaps there's a way in from the bottom instead of the top.

Also, re: my IC post, I'm still on board with @scootloops as captain, but Zelda doesn't love being told what to do.

58 minutes ago, 8w_gremlin said:

1320 feet about 44 rounds to walk there (30ft movement), half that if you dash.

Or to simplify it, you walk a mile in 20 minutes (overland travel) so a quarter mile can be covered in 1/4 the time, so 5 minutes.

"Optimal success requires strategic utilization of our common resources and talents on the most optimal level. If the designated leader fails to meet satisfactory results, we should keep in mind that it would be logical to reassess and delegate the accordingly to the best performances observed." 

@Harding, I'll be honest... I don't get what Deidre is trying to say here. This sounds like a PR manager doing his best to confuse stakeholders.

I'm not sure how to react. Do I roleplay that she doesn't understand it, or that she gets it and answers in just as obtuse fashion?

7 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

Woohoo...a nat 20 on Prescience!

Let's hope I can use it before the end of the day!

Is that similar to a portent roll for a diviner? You can use it to demonstrate flawless knowledge of a subject, impressing Question, Zelda and Deidre.