Ye Olde Tavern

Eric

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Advert is up!

Thanks. I have applied. Please excuse my ignorance, learning Myth's layout.

Please let me know if i'm accepted or not. Thanks.

Please I'd like to play a the thief if its alright with all of you.

We decide our stats?

18 dex, is it ok or abusive lol? I rolled the five others stats on a tool.

STR: 12      
DEX: 18      
CON: 10  
INT: 12    
WIS: 9  
CHA: 16

Cheers,

Edited by Nebula (see edit history)

On 5/3/2024 at 10:32 AM, Eric said:

I'm going way outside the normal box here, but I'm going to crib method VI from AD&D 1e: tell me what numbers on the sheet you think would represent your character and make for a fun and fair adventure for you and the rest of the group. If you want to play the nerdy elf and really need that 18 intelligence, I don't want random luck to get in the way of the story. But I'm also fine if you want to take what the dice gods give you and run 6x3d6 down the line, if that's an important part of the nostalgia.

I am not sure by what you mean by method VI from AD&D 1e. The 1e PHB refers to the DMG and the 1979 DMG only has 4 methods of generating characters. The 2e PHB does have 6 methods.

Also will Labyrinth Lord rules be compatible or do we need a copy of the pdf?

This is what I get for going from memory with most of my books in the dungeon storage unit while the house is under construction 😆 And I might even be remembering a quote I read somewhere and it's not actually in a book. In any case, I'm in favor of letting players pick the scores that bring them joy. It'll be obvious if this is a power grab.

LL is close. I know the cleric spell progression is different, and there might be other small nuances that would need to be tweaked to match BECMI.

While I don't consider this a "first-come-first-served" sort of game, I expect I'll have room for everyone who's interested. The application process consists of finishing your character and interacting with the rest of the virtual table 😀

Hi everyone! I read through X1 thirty-some years ago, but I don't much remember it and I've never had the chance to play through it, so I'm excited! Gonna roll stats for Nostalgia's sake!

For starting XP... is that 8,000 xp + xp bonus from prime requisite (or minus xp penalty)? Or just a flat 8k for everyone?

Edited by Chardastes (see edit history)
Name
Stats
10; 13; 12; 11; 9; 9
3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6 [2,2,6]; [2,2,6,6,5,2]; [2,2,6,6,5,2,5,6,1]; [2,2,6,6,5,2,5,6,1,6,3,2]; [2,2,6,6,5,2,5,6,1,6,3,2,3,2,4]; [2,2,6,6,5,2,5,6,1,6,3,2,3,2,4,1,6,2]

Giving it a go…

Name
roll
10; 15; 7; 9; 12; 10
3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6 [2,3,5]; [2,3,5,6,4,5]; [2,3,5,6,4,5,4,1,2]; [2,3,5,6,4,5,4,1,2,5,2,2]; [2,3,5,6,4,5,4,1,2,5,2,2,2,5,5]; [2,3,5,6,4,5,4,1,2,5,2,2,2,5,5,3,5,2]

Wow, that's a big burst of activity suddenly 😆. I have my character more or less ready, just wasn't sure the format for posting, but since people have started here's Sidrag:

Sidrag Luckbeard (dwarf).

Stats

Str: 15

Dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 8

Wis: 11

Cha: 14

Brief Background

Sidrag never felt quite right growing up in the Dwarven city of Highforge. He got by okay but couldn't shake the nagging feeling that he didn't quite fit in here. Sure he was strong when he needed to be, but he wasn't a fan of contests of strength like his brothers. He was sturdy enough too, although again he didn't make that the core part of his personality like so many of his fellow dwarves did.

Sidrag wanted more than anything to experience the wider world and meet different types of people. One morning he quickly announced his plan to become an adventurer and he set out without looking back and before anyone could try (and fail) to influence him otherwise. He made for Specularum and soon found a band of mates to go adventuring with. It turns out Sidrag is quite the sociable fellow and this is what he loves most abut being an adventurer. The treasure is nice too of course, but he'd by lying if he said he doesn't get scared sometimes with the danger of their exploits...

Will edit with more info, items/magic item etc when I have a bit more time later. Also let me know if you want me to pop the character info into a separate thread, instead of on here.

Edited by Kalidas (see edit history)

Feel free to make your own thread for your character. I also added a Sheets tab so you can link a MW Basic D&D sheet.

Can magic items be purchased, if so what are the costs?

Are 1st level hit points being rolled?

Will mounts be useful?

What are the rules and prices for hirelings?

I am going to toss my hat in here. I have not played Basic since I first bought it back in the early 80's. Actually bought it as a gift for my brother but I am the one that ended up loving the game. So for old times sake I will roll for stats and then, if the die roller continues to hate me as it has lately, cry. 😉

Like I said, OUCH!

I will go check out the rules and characters and see if I can make this work, but that 8 and 7 are going to be killers.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
Stats
repeat(3d6,6) 2,1,5,6,6,2,2,6,3,3,4,4,3,3,1,6,3,2

10 hours ago, wapsii said:

Can magic items be purchased, if so what are the costs?

No.

Are 1st level hit points being rolled?

Yes.

Will mounts be useful?

Since this is a hexploration game, yes.

What are the rules and prices for hirelings?

I'll post the table in a reference thread.

50 minutes ago, Draidden said:

that 8 and 7 are going to be killers

You aren't bound by the rolls, so fear not! 😀