喋る[Main OOC Thread]

iantruesilver

Possibly. Depending on what your intention is. Disable device specifically has to do with disarming traps/opening locks/sabotaging devices and the like. To know what things do beyond those specific uses, probably more of a knowledge (engineering) thing.

• 3 weeks later...

So guys, we've been shuffling our boots here in this one room for a bit now. We know there's pit traps, easily avoidable if you just look at where you're going, we know there's switches that do something or other, and we know there's a door towards the south now. We know the wailing is coming from beyond that door.

What else are we missing in information, and how can I help y'all get past this hurdle?

We have 2 people at the door asking for the trap searcher to come over to it. I think we are just waiting for Lars to tell us it is safe (while Neskas continues stoically making sure he doesn't fall into a pit on accident.)

Pretty sure everyone STILL CAN locate traps in pf1e.

Trapfinding: A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

There is no text in the perception skill indicating that there is a special requirement to locate traps. DC varies by trap.

I mean, that could still happen…

Anyway, it is my belief that people are often mistaken from the rules that only certain character builds can search for and spot traps. I assert that that is untrue, based on the lack of specific text in the perception skill, the trapfinding class feature, and the rules regarding traps.

As always, I may be mistaken and corrected as appropriate.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Lars still has the best perception score (+11, +12 for traps). Darhana is second with +10. It's also a question of letting everybody have their own role in the group, rather than one or two people trying to do everything (although one can see Darhana scout ahead as well). I'll have a look at those rules tonight, but you're probably right that everybody can look for traps

On 6/28/2023 at 7:39 AM, iantruesilver said:

Pretty sure everyone STILL CAN locate traps in pf1e.

Trapfinding: A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

There is no text in the perception skill indicating that there is a special requirement to locate traps. DC varies by trap.

Everyone can look for traps - it is the tedium of rolling every 5 feet that stops them - and it is that much worse in Play by Post. Taking 10 is often a result of the need, but then that returns the task of task finding to really high bonuses.

does the breakage give a penalty for future disable device checks that one of the lock picks is broken, or is it the ruling that the entire set of disable device tools is brken.