Chapter 2: First Foray

Eric

Thoridin

Aye, let the dwarves act as a bulwark against wicked machinations hidden behind a facade of stone. There are worse things than vermin in the abandoned places of the world.

He follows in the footsteps (literally!) of his fellow dwarf, occasionally pausing to probe at a stone tile with a ten foot pole or to gently sweep dust that may be obscuring the surface.

Let us check all the way to the mountainside, I don't want any surprises at our backs if we should need to make a hasty exit.

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejrik rolls his eyes at the bravado, but nevertheless goes along with the dwarves-out-front principle.

"I already regret not getting a pole of my own ..." he mutters under his breath, studying the stonework as he advances.

Exploration of the gap

The stonework in the immediate vicinity of the gap is sound enough, and won't pose an immediate threat. The ground is uneven but Thoridin's probing reveals no traps.

The dwarves' assessment of the construction is that the walls were framed with central timbers to support the stone, and the stone was built up on both sides to a thickness of about ten feet. The timbers have rotted under the passage of time, so the stone is left supporting itself. Based on the arrangement of walls that can be seen, it can be surmised that the courtyard continues to the east, connecting directly to the area behind the main gate.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

From our vantage point, can we see if there are any windows, or doors, or arrow slits on the western wall of the inner keep?  Also, can we see if the outer wall/courtyard turns towards the east at the far end of the inner keep, or does the inner keep buttress right up against the back wall?

There are no doors on the western wall. There are narrow slit-like windows at intervals. The inner keep, like the outer wall, appears to buttress directly against the cliff wall. The wizard clearly valued the awe factor over the practical considerations of castle defense.

TURN 7

Thoridin

Blargh. I am comfortable enough in the shadows I did not think to bring any spare torches along. I can spare my tinderbox and some oil if you want to jury-rig something together. I'd rather risk a little light than have half our company blunder around as good as blind.

Let's keep out of view of those windows as best we can. They likely know we are here, sure, but as to our number and armaments, let us keep them far from certain. I am going to check out the main gate to the East, watch my back if you please.

And with this, barring any strenuous objections from his compatriots, Thoridin will continue to gingerly pick his way forwards, probing with the ten foot pole and listening for anything out of place in this foul place.

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"I have oil," Stoyan pats his pack, "No need for torches though, not for dwarves."

He moves forward, crossbow at the ready, aiming for the tower to their left.

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

"Should the need arise - " Tala spoke quietly, her voice whispering between the muffled clank of her own footfalls as she followed behind the dwarves, taking the rear guard less by intent and more sheer, mulish slowness weighted down by mail - " - I've a lantern proper and enough oil for a watch*; thrice that if we consolidate the other flasks on offer.  A half dozen torches as well, though each of those only last but an hour.  Between them I might favor the torches though - both preclude weapon in hand and as much as light scares some creatures, fire hurts far more."

Settling up behind the vanguard, the cleric craned her head just inside the far shadow of the passage - following Stoyan's aim to the tower before checking turning to double check the passage to the party's rear.

"Do we make left, clear the tower or break east, follow the courtyard?"

*Each pint should last 4 hours (24 turns) and each torch 1 (6 turns) per the OSE srd.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

image.jpeg.8b357043f0583d12f63d1aaa01b45231.jpeg
Golon

The red haired youth kept pace with the others as they gained the inner courtyard.  "I have a torch and several flasks of oil." he adds softly when the discussion comes up about light sources.  "Master dwarf I have no weapon with which to guard your approach.  Perhaps if you would lend me your sling and some stones or trade places and guard my scouting?"  The youth suggests with his 10 foot pole resting against his shoulder. 

spacer.png
Ashera Grequinal

Ashera was about to make a comment about her own lack of needing torches, but she decided against it, rationalizing to herself that it wasn't necessary to pile on about vision to the humans in the group.  Someone would need to light a torch for them to see, and her stating she didn't need it was unnecessary at this point; enough of them had already stated they were fine in the dark, and it should really be common knowledge that Elves didn't need torches.  So she started to follow along behind the Dwarves when Golon piped up about needing a sling.

"As chance would have it," she stated, looking at the young scout, "I happen to have a pair of slings on me.  You are free to use one of them until you find yourself a better ranged option, if you wish?"

She pulled one of the slings out of her pack, along with a handful - maybe 5 or 6 - bullets for the young man to use, holding it for him to take.  And when he had either taken it or refused, she put herself back in line to follow along behind the Dwarves.

The whizzing sound of a poorly fletched bolt is Stoyan's only warning. He stiffens, reflexively leaning backward, as the missile sails harmlessly by from east to west. It seems the defenders behind the main door know the gap is a potential flanking direction and have trained crossbows on it.

The courtyard is mostly clear of debris, but there are some larger stones that have fallen inward, offering a chance of cover. The distance between the gap and the doors is about eighty feet.

Potential location of crossbowmen marked in red on the Level 1 Map

TURN 8

Golon
Golon

Golon reaches out and takes the sling and stones from the elf.  "Thank you.  I hope to be of some help with these.  More than I was with the daggers anyways." he says with a sheepish grin then the bolt flies by Stoyan from the East. 

"Perhaps I can climb the wall and lower a rope while some stay here and distract the foes at the gate.   If we could attack from multiple approaches at the same time they surely would quickly surrender."

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

"I can't return fire, but at least I can draw it."

Acting as quickly as he can, Dejrik puts his shield between himself and the firing crossbowmen. Fetching his mace with his free hand, he bangs his shield like a bell.
He looks over to Golon with a determined smile.
"Tread quick, tread light."

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"We have a not so friendly greeting," Stoyan calls out.

"If you are servants of evil then surrender now or suffer the consequences!" He marches straight towards the shooter, levelling his own crossbow to return the favour.

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Name
Crossbow
16; 6
1d20-1;1d6 ; [6]