Chapter 2: First Foray

Eric

"No traps," the kobold yips. "But the bar is going to be too heavy for me to lift by myself. It took four of us to put it in place." He tips his head in the direction of the cliffs. "You let me go, I'll hide in the mountains and you can be sure I'll never show my face around here. That robed guy would definitely kill me if he knew I told you anything."

Tala's shield bash springs open the chest, which is not trapped. Gold coins spill out--a massive haul, at least a hundred--along with two small black gems.

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"Four of you skinny, little things," Stoyan scoffs, "Dejrik, shall we show them how it's done?"

The dwarf was showing off, of course, and that never went badly.

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow16; 6 1d6

Actions

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejrik cracks his knuckles, and a cervical vertebra or two, and nods to Stoyan.

Failing to be prepared for digging - worse, being outshone by an elf in its regard - was enough of a disgrace in front the kobold. Though he never considered himself a proud man, Dejrik's Dwarven pride needed a win, and doing the work of two or more kobolds each was a perfect opportunity.

image.png.275a20ebbce76510153dad737623596a.png

Astrid remains on hand to help lift up the bar in case two stout dwarves isn't enough, and secretly hopes they aren't so that she can add something witty about bringing a woman to do a dwarf's job.  Are those girl dwarves or boy dwarves? she wonders to herself.

The two dwarves are, fortunately for their own pride, able to lift off and remove the bar.

"He can fly like a bird," the kobold makes vague soaring motions with his head, since his hands are tied. "And once I saw him disappear into thin air! The chief..." he adds, eyes dipping to glance at one of his fallen comrades, "didn't trust him right off, but the boss was good at making friends because after they met in private, the chief came back and told us how great a guy he was."

Good to know, Thoridin responds.

First trick, flight, that's simple enough. If he leaves good ol' terra firma, we pepper him with missiles. The higher you fly, the farther you fall, my nan always said.

Second one, invisibility, well, I got some oil that I could throw on him, maybe get a sense of where he is off hiding. Chalk or paint, or even some of the blood from those there kobolds, could also do the trick.

Third, compulsion, likely the easiest, as all we got to do is not be caught on our lonesome.

The fourth - the unknown, the last ace up the sleeve, is what scares me. That is, if true Dwarves can feel fear.

The last bit is clearly added in some haste.

Stoyan Barakovsen

Not much caring for talk of spells and specific magics, Stoyan lifts the bar with the able assistance of Dejrik. As they drop it to the ground and push the gate open he cannot help but smile, a sight not often seen outside of his family's mead hall, "There we go. That's how to do it."

"Enough talk of wizards and such, we are to capture him alive but not necessarily on one piece. If we stop him mumbling into his beard and waving his arms around then he can't cast his spells. That should be fairly straightforward. Break his jaw, break his fingers, and he's powerless."

"What other folks live in this keep or below it, kobold? You must have met them coming or going or heard tales from your chief."

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

Actions

"No one ever comes in or out. It's the easiest way to make money I'd ever known. We have a bit of the basement walled off for ourselves, we make scary noises and frighten away ordinary trespassers, and get paid. Until you showed up..." The kobold seems to relax a bit without the threat of imminent death, but when the topic circles back to the adventurers holding him prisoner, he gulps and falls silent for a moment. "I've never seen the boss go in the front door, and he certainly doesn't visit our lair."

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

"HA!"  Tala pumped her shield as the box broke open and spilled forth financial security and the glittering promise of warm beds, fresh ale and warmer company.  She turned, smile beaming wide in triumph, to pose in front of her success only to find the bulk of the party having wandering offer, grunting and sweating over the crossbar to the gate.  Or further interrogating the - all things considered - rather articulate kobold.

Arms still upraised in victory she turned back to the box and gave a much smaller shield-pump to the air.

"Hells Yeah!"

Several moments of scraping, scooting and loading of coins into her backpack left Tala flush and slightly winded with greed.  Standing up with a slightly louder-than normal metallic clang and jingle she slung the pack and the shield on her back, hefted her mace and then quietly juggled the black gems in her hand as she saunted back to the rest of the party.

"Not that I mind being weighted down - " she remarked after a moment, " - but we might want to split up the treasures, such if one of us falls unrecoverable the expedition isn't a total loss?"

She punctuates the question with the arch of an eyebrow and a flick of her wrist, tossing one of the gemstones to Astrid and another to the dwarves.

"And - " taking in the scene, the party, the gate and their prisoner, the cleric shrugs.  " - since we'd rather not have baggage, I think it's time to come to terms.  I vote we either let him go to hie to the hills or - " she looks down at the kobold, not so much with compassion as curiosity.  " - it occurs, with our hands filled with blades and shields, we might have use for a torchbearer, especially one that knows the keep."

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

Astrid awkwardly catches the gem, and her eyes glitter with the idea of treasure.  "This will help my village so much," she says in awe.

Looking to the kobold, she opines, "We are in need of a trustworthy trapspringer.  And while we may lack such a person, I think we can agree to settle on a trapspringer."

Stoyan Barakovsen

"Better than being dead," Stoyan points out, "And if you prove trustworthy we might just untie you too."

Though this may have been a joke the dwarf's expression has reverted to his usual scowl so it is difficult to tell. Assuming the kobold accepts the offer, "Shall we start by looting your lair? Which way?"

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

Actions

Yorp.png.3116632a4db5dc60ae4cca8ae644697d.png

Yorp, right hand of Gur, third-born of Elkebuhz the Dragon.

"There is nothing for you there!" the kobold yips, before shaking his head, his ears drooping. "Except...more of my fellows. Some food and...stuff." Yorp shakes his head again, before looking entreatingly at Tala who has been the most kind-hearted. "I have given you the treasure we found. I know we can't fight you, you killed us so easily. Let me go tell them to leave, there is a back way. Please. Please don't kill any more of us. I will come back and serve you if that's what you want."

Astrid looks appraisingly at Yorp.  "I don't know how much we can trust one of your kind, I'm afraid.  Bound by no rule of law, it seems likely you are lying to us even now - especially in light of the bounty had to date.  Even if you weren't - it matters not.  We seek a wayward magician who must be brought to Justice," you can hear the word capitalized just the way she says it, "and I fear your people might not be in a negotiating mood - unless you convince them otherwise, of course."

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

Dejrik scratches his chin briefly, contemplating. He then approaches Yorp as he pulls out his mace. He stops a step and a half away from the kobold, holding the mace steady before him.

"Place your hand on the mace's head and swear to it." he says. "Swear you will do what you can to guide your people out to safety, and that you will do nothing to harm our party, nor to protect the wizard we are here to claim, lest the mace's head find your own. If you are willing to do that, you'll have my trust, at least."