First Time Out

Grendel

"No the Dark Lord's trail did not lead me here, he has not left his fortress in Kolia in over nine decades," Caelyn replies.  "But Kolian spies and minions make their way across the mountains and do his bidding.  Anchorhead was simply the on my current wanderings route, and so here I am," she says with a shrug.

OOC: Will pause here to give Ehrick and Kaspar a chance to say something else.  If you guys have nothing to add at this point (a valid response) let me know in the OOC thread and I will advance the action.

spacer.pngBrother Bruti makes a dismissive grimace.

"I suppose he can wait, then."

Stats, Actions, Etc

Stats & Spells

Brother Leslus Bruti
Variant Human Cleric - War Domain 3 NG
AC 16 HP 23 Speed 25ft
Str 10 (0) Dex 15 (2) Con 13 (1)
Wis 16 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
Longbow (150/600) +4 1d8+2 P
Scimitar +4 1d6+2 S
Spell Attack +5 DC 13
Dagger +4 1d4+2 P

Cantrips

Guidance, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame

Prepared Spells - 6

L1 - Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Cure Wounds, Detect Evil and Good; Divine Favor, Shield of Faith

L2 - Prayer of Healing, Enhance Ability; Magic Weapon, Spiritual Weapon

Spell Slots

L1 - 4/4

L2 - 2/2

Actions/OOC

Action:

Bonus:

Interact:

Move:

Free:

Reaction:

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 23/24, Initiative7: +3, Passive Perception: 14undefined

Oh look. It seems they are wrapping up the discussion. Guess we will find out what type of duel you got yourself into and if it is going to even take place. I will let LB or one of these others be your second as they seem to have more knowledge of duels then I do.

Ehrick has been sitting back nursing a glass of wine and watching the proceedings. While he has no desire to see Kaspar or anyone else get killed, his job has been completed and this is someone else's problem. But he must admit he is interested to see who will win.

kaspar_new_token.png.96ec2e5371c45f2634aca139e99cda3b.png

Kaspar of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14, HP 17/22, Initiative: +3(+1), Bardic Inspiration used 2/3

Skills

bold: proficient, * Jack of all trades modifier applied

Athletics: 2

Acrobatics*: +4, Stealth*: +4, Sleight of Hand: +5

Arcana*: +2, Nature: +2, History: +3, Religin*: +2, Investigation*: +2

Animal Handling*: 0, Medicine*: 0, Insight: +1, Survival*: 0

Deception: +5, Intimidation*: +4, Performance14undefined +7, Persuasion10: +5

"Thank you Caelyn, not that this gives me an idea on why Randall is trying to skewer me for, except his own ego. But if o had any thought of allying with the dark lord of Kolia, consider them abandoned.”

turning to Bruti “I thank you for your offer to try saving my life in the aftermath, I hope you are not offended if I’ll do my utmost to avoid the necessity.

He settles back under his tree and wait for what the future brings  

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)

"I dare say that is likely it," Caelyn says to Kaspar with a shrug.  She had a mischievous smirk when Ehrick referred to Lightbringer as 'LB', but gets serious again when Lightbringer returns.

After some discussion Lightbringer returns with Randal and the others.  "We reached an agreement," Lightbringer says.  "Regardless of the outcome, once honor is satisfied, Messier Ambercrown relinquishes all claims and efforts against the lady, and will harbor no ill will to you, Kaspar or your second," he looks to Randal Ambercrown who nods agreement with the resolution.  One of his men steps forward with a longish wooden box and opens it to show the contents to Kaspar:  two finely made dueling flintlock pistols.

"You may examine both weapons and choose one," he says to Kaspar in a professional and businesslike tone.

Skills

Kaspar executes again his formal bow "Well thank you good sir. I appreciate your choice of weapon, it indicates that my words did not go entirely amiss. What is going to be the distance?"

He thinks to himself "Those are some really nice pistols, I don't think he has tempered with them, but it never hurts to be sure."

Hefting the pistols in both hands, raising the barell, sighting along it checking of straightness. checking flintlocks for being in equally good shape.

OOC:

rolling investigation. if nothing can be seen he just takes the gun looking better to him.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)
Name
investigation
1d20+2 18

"Each man takes ten paces from the center for a 20-pace shooting distance," the man holding the box says to Kaspar.  Randal is wearing a leather jerkin, but is otherwise unarmored.  It is equivalent to Kaspar's leather armor.  Lightbringer orders the groom to take hold of the riding horses lest the sound of the guns scare them to a panic.  His great white charger doesn't seem to be a concern.

Once Kaspar chooses his weapon the man passes to Randal giving him the second one.  Randal checks to make sure it is properly loaded then moves away from the tents to a clear space in the field.  Lightbringer invites Kaspar to follow and goes with him.  The man holding the box hands it to another and then follows to stand by Lightbringer, presumably Randal's second.

OOC: This is a typical march 10 paces from the center while Lightbringer counts, turn and shoot.  The range will end up about 25 feet.  The flintlock pistol does 1d10 piercing damage, range is 30/90 and it has one shot.  There is a chance to kill Randal, he has fewer hit points than Kaspar.   Kaspar, you can post something as he is facing Randal, turns as Lightbringer counts, and at 10 roll to hit, the shots will go off simultaneously.

Skills

Kaspar thinks for a moment of imparting some cutting words upon Randal, but decides against it. Randall has so far behaved honorable in this whole dueling affair. So he quietly says

"

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
 Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell.
They that had fought so well
Came through the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of hell,
All that was left of them,
   Left of six hundred."

"Well let's get this over with, may we be remembered fondly"

Kaspar takes his position, Pistol held upright next to his ear, and waits for the count to start. Stepping deliberately on each count. Keeping his calm, hearing 

Eight

Nine

Ten

He turns around, with deliberation, neither fast nor slow, aims for Randall's right arm and gently squeezes the trigger, waiting for his opponents bullet to arrive.

Name
roll
1d20 5

Randal seems to miss the reference of the verses though he covers it well.  He simply nods and turns to walk his ten paces, whatever reservations or regrets he may have subsumed below his ego.  Lightbringer counts steadily in a clear voice that carries towards those watching.

At 10 both Kaspar and Randal turn and shoot.  The sound of the guns firing is deafening with echoes carrying away and the farmer a furlong off stepping out of his house to see what was happening.  Both guns leave clouds of smoke momentarily obscuring the duelists and when the smoke clears in the afternoon breeze it is clear that both bullets miss their targets.

Lightbringer smiles at the casualty-free affair.  "Honor is satisfied, Messieurs.  Ambercrown, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  Kaspar, if you would join me and the others," he motions for Kaspar to return with him to the pavilions as Ambercrown's man collects the pistol and they prepare to return to the city.  Randal does not look disappointed, though his expression is studied neutral.

Caelyn is shaking her head as they return to the pavilion.  "Tis a strange custom this dueling," she says simply.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20 7

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 23/24, Initiative7: +3, Passive Perception: 14undefined

Ehrick sits quiety off to the side watching the whole affair. He is surprised when the flintlock pistols are brought out. Those are not very common and from stories he has heard they can cause a nasty amount of damage. So when the duelists reach 10 and turn and fire he jumps a bit form the noise and prospect of injuries. He laughs quietly when he and everyone else realize that both men missed. As Kaspar and Lightbringer move back to join the rest, he nods to Kaspar.

When I tell this story, I think I will say that both men had such respect for each other that they both missed on purpose. Sounds better than both were so scared that their shaking hands caused them both to miss.

He smiles and pats Kaspar on the shoulder.

Skills

Thank you Ehrick, certainly the most desirable outcome, honor observed, nobody hurt. I would have hated dying over this affair. Shall we join the others, I could do with a nice cup of wine now.
walks off towards the group of people, in search of the desired refreshment, as his mouth had gone a bit dry. 

ZOwOokw.jpeg

Caspian Rane Human Rogue 3

AC: 17, HP 22/22, Initiative: +10

Skills

Starred is Expertise

Athletics: -1

Acrobatics*: +7, Stealth*: +7, Sleight of Hand: +5

Arcana: +0, Nature: +0, History: +0, Religion: +0, Investigation: +0

Animal Handling: +1, Medicine: +1, Insight: +1, Survival: +1, Perception +3,

Deception: +4, Intimidation: +4, Performance +2, Persuasion +4

A Farce” Caspian chuffs as he laments to his new found allies, “No satisfaction truly found, only a weak nobles attempt at keeping up appearances with his men.” He rubs his scarred forearms almost absent-minded. It is clear he has a series of old wounds faded and light crisscrossing his arms numbering close to a dozen. He clicks his tongue and nods his head at Kaspar as he returns. “Pistols are crass weapons for a duel, hardly any honor in pointing a muzzle and hoping for the best…” He shrugs in defeat, “Those lines you quoted, they seem familiar to me… Where did you learn it from?

Edited by Wolfe208 (see edit history)

Skills

"It's the narrator's constant strive to collect stories and poetry from wherever he finds them, may they be obscure scrolls of long forgotten geniuses. New works of nimble minds, or just making them up himself. I found there are few situations in live somebody more able than myself hasn't already coined the right words for them. As for those last lines, they felt very apt for the situation. If i recall correctly Alfred wrote those lines. As for the pistols, the gentleman and I had a discussion about the importance of experience when it comes to swords."  Kaspar looks a bit sheepishly " I have the feeling this might have informed his choice of weapon. I take it you are more drawn to the way of the blade"

spacer.png

Observing the duel implacably, Bruti observes the smoke clear and sees the two combatants still stand whole.

"Hmm."

And with a very slight wrinkling of his mouth, he turns and follows his new crewmates, sparing a scant glance over his shoulder at the departing Randal with accompanying sideways eyeroll.

Stats, Actions, Etc

Stats & Spells

Brother Leslus Bruti
Variant Human Cleric - War Domain 3 NG
AC 16 HP 23 Speed 25ft
Str 10 (0) Dex 15 (2) Con 13 (1)
Wis 16 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
Longbow (150/600) +4 1d8+2 P
Scimitar +4 1d6+2 S
Spell Attack +5 DC 13
Dagger +4 1d4+2 P

Cantrips

Guidance, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame

Prepared Spells - 6

L1 - Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Cure Wounds, Detect Evil and Good; Divine Favor, Shield of Faith

L2 - Prayer of Healing, Enhance Ability; Magic Weapon, Spiritual Weapon

Spell Slots

L1 - 4/4

L2 - 2/2

Actions/OOC

Action:

Bonus:

Interact:

Move:

Free:

Reaction:

Lightbringer chuckles at Ehrick's.  "Come now, Kaspar stood bravely and faced the pistol.  Well my new friends, do say you will stay for supper," he says cheerfully.  Caelyn, still sitting on the table nods as though to say you should, smiling at Kaspar's supposition that Randal was afraid to face him with a blade.  Lightbringer then looks at Caelyn again and adds, "shouldn't you dress more; there will be a chill in the evening."  She sticks her tongue out at him again; he gives her a look somewhere between disapproving and pleading, at which she rolls her eyes dramatically. 

"Very well, I'll put some more clothes on, for your sake.  The cold doesn't bother me," she jumps off the table and goes to talk to one of the servants, then follows into a small tent (not Lightbringer's tent.)

Assuming you stay for supper, it is simple fare again: more mutton stew with freshly baked bread, some vegetables on the side and wine.  Lightbringer asks Brother Bruti to say grace before the meal, does not react if others don't join, but will reproach anyone who starts eating before the prayer is finished.