First Time Out

Grendel

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 23/24, Initiative7: +3, Passive Perception: 14

With it finally being down to just one of them he has to contend with Ehrick decides to tackle the man and end the chase. Caelyn knows where they were headed so hopefully if she keeps running they can meet her later back at the camp. As he finally catches up to the merc he reaches out and tries to grab the man.

Actions.Once within range he attempts a grapple.

Name
Grapple check to start grapple
1d20+4 4

End of Round 5

Kaspar moves in strike the mercenary and comes very close to scoring first blood immediately...

Ehrick, meanwhile catches up to the fourth man and reaches for him, grabbing him and restraining his movement.  The guy, unaware that Ehrick was so close, halts abruptly.

Round 6

The mercenary returns Kaspar's lunge with a slash of his own, hoping to catch the bard as he extends himself.  But Kaspar also manages to avoid the blow, by just a hair.  The crowd gasps and 'oohhs" with each move and out of the corner of his eye Kaspar can see a bookie taking bets...

Ehrick's man, tries to shake him off, as Caelyn takes the opportunity to move farther away, once out of the crowd she runs to the East edge of themarket and one of the side streets that enters into/exits from it.

OOC Note

The Mercs have an AC of 14.  Two and Three are watching the duel.  Four is restrained, Speed 0.  I will keep his previous grab attempt roll v. Caelyn as his attempt to break free, meaning he rolled a 6.  Caelyn will use her actions to move and dash, the move being 15 feet through difficult terrain, the dash 30 feet.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)
Name
Merc 1 Attack
1d20 11
Merc 4 Grab
1d20 6
roll
1d20 4

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 18/22 Initiative: +3

As he is avoiding the counter attack Kaspar thinks to himself “Well this one has learned his steel rather well” just to demonstrate to his opponent that this isn’t taxing him at all he throws in some cutting words “Lovely style, your mother was clearly skilled with a blade and told you well

another quick attack this time towards the legs. Trying not to make this a fatal damage

edit: omitted damage roll as i didn’t make it past AC 14, cutting words is going to be applied against his attack roll. 

Cutting wordsCutting Words
Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being charmed.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)
Name
attack
1d20+3+1 8
Cutting words
1d6 1

Having stopped the merc and Caelyn having gotten away, Ehrick shoves the merc attempting to knock him prone.

Leave her alone!

Actions.Shove action to knock him back 5' and prone. Target makes an opposing athletics or acrobatics check to resist.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20+4 20
Duelist To-Hit
1d20 15

End of Round 6

Ehrick shoves the man he had grabbed roughly and he goes down onto the cobbled pavement of the market.

As Kaspar and his man circle each other, Kaspar taunts him and then reaches for a perceived opening, but he parried just in time.

Round 7

The man dueling Kaspar grits his teeth at the insult, and the two of them circle around a few more times.  The man then swings around and manages to strike Kaspar on the arm, a blow that might have been far more serious on a battlefield, but he seems to have pulled the force at the last moment.  Nonetheless, it was enough to end the duel.  He stands up and raises his sword to honorably salute his opponent.

Caelyn is out of sight when the man Ehrick shoved to the ground rolls to his feet, looks for her, then faces Ehrick.  "Who are you and why do you interfere?"  He demands.

OOC Notes

Kaspar takes 1 point of damage, the guy pulled the blow.  He wasn't trying to really hurt or kill him.  The other guy falls taking 1 point of damage.

Name
Merc 4 Resistance
1d20 3

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 17/22 Initiative: +3

Kaspar turning up the theatrics swings up the blade in salut, bowing formally “You have clearly bested me good sir, I bow yo your skill.” He sheathes his rapier and prepares to meld into the crowd, keeping out an eye for Ehrick

I hope Ehrick can extricate himself there quickly and we can vanish from sight  

I ask you the same question. If you had bothered to look before you tried to jump the lady, you would have noticed that she was with my allies and myself. By attacking someone in my company you automatically make it my problem. Speaking of which, why did you try to attack the lady?

Ehrick stands with hands on the hilts of his scimitars but does not draw them yet.

Actions.Shove action to knock him back 5' and prone. Target makes an opposing athletics or acrobatics check to resist.

Round 8 (not really in rounds anymore but just in case)

The duelist sheaths his sword and the crowd starts to disperse and return to what they were doing.  There is a general consensus of something of a let down as the duel did not go one very long.  Still, both duelists acted with honor and decorum; that will be remembered.  The duelist then turns to his two companions and they huddle together in discussion.

The man facing Ehrick replies, "I and my colleagues were asked to find the elf woman and return her to her lover."  He stands tall as though daring Ehrick to have a nobler cause, and clearly not focused on the fact that Ehrick had called out to the crowd that she was his girlfriend.

Really? And what is the name of this lover? Did it not hit you as suspicious that he wanted you to grab her and bring her back against her will? I mean you never even tried to talk to her. You just yelled out grab her. Sounds to me like you were hired to bring her back to someone that cannot accept that she is not interested.

Ehrick is not sure, but it is starting to sound like someone in town has unrequited love and can't take no for an answer. He stands at the ready figuring the longer he keeps this guy talking the further away Caelyn can get. 

AC: 14 HP 17/22 Initiative: +3

Kaspar observes what a fine figure Ehrick is cutting and decides to give a little aid. And starts to speak clearly reciting a poem

Gaily bedight, 
   A gallant knight, 
In sunshine and in shadow,   
   Had journeyed long,   
   Singing a song, 
In search of Eldorado. 

Ooc

This is to bestow bardic inspiration on Ehrick. Should be 1D6

"Bah!  I've no time for this," he says waving his hand dismissively at Ehrick.  He looks about, spots the other three and goes to join them.  The crowd at the market is more or less back to normal.

It is well past noon now, the four men look to be conferring as to their next course of action, with the fourth man pointing East in the direction Caelyn went.

Ehrick motions for the others to join him as he starts heading east. He hopes the Caelyn either continued on towards the camp or ducked and hid somewhere and will see them as they pass and join them. He will try to keep an eye out for her as they go.

Once the others are close enough he speaks to them.

It seems those guys were hired by someone who fancies himself as her lover and hired them to grab her and drag her back to him. I told her of the camp and hopefully she is still running and headed there. Just in case, keep your eyes open for her. I am getting the impression that she seduces lot of people to get what she wants and then tries to run away when things get serious. She did seems willing to come when I mentioned who sent us so I don't think we are in the same boat as the others. This could get real ugly if there are many more groups looking for her.

Name
Perception to spot Caelyn
1d20+4 4

AC: 14 HP 17/22 Initiative: +3

She is certainly a lady in high demand, let’s hope indeed she is going to move on in the planned direction.

Kaspar looks concentrated at the mass of people in the direction she vanished. Thinking “If we don’t see her immediately, the others might be similarly hard pressed.”

Will she still be wearing your cloak?

ooc

rolling perception as well to search for her, including jack of all trades again. 

Name
roll
1d20+1+1 13

Kaspar and Ehrick, reunited, turn to the East to leave the market square and hopefully catch up with Caelyn.  They exit the market through the same side street that she used, a narrow road that passes between two businesses and puts them in the labyrinth that is the unplanned* city of Anchorhead.  They pass a cross-alley that runs behind the buildings on the square, passing many men and women on the way going about their business, and even a pair of dwarves with a covered hand cart heading to market.  Before they reach the second cross street from the market, Caelyn pops out of the shadows by a doorway.  "Hey!  Are you guys okay?"  She asks pushing back her hood.  The cloak she kept broached shut, as Ehrick had suggested.

Ehrick motions for Caelyn to move back into the shadows as they talk. He glances around to make sure no one is paying too much attention to them.

We are fine, so far. Those guys were hired by your lover to bring you back to them. And they didn't seem to care if you wanted to go or not.

He glances around again then gives a bit of a strange look to Kaspar and then Caelyn and back again. He hands his cloak to Caelyn.

Here Caelyn lets swap cloaks and Kaspar you give her your hat. Hopefully we can avoid her getting spotted.

He takes her cloak and puts it on.

Caelyn you take the lead. Kaspar you bring up the rear and hopefully if anyone spots and chases us they will chase me.

Name
Performance check to act like Caelyn
1d20-1 15