First Time Out

Grendel

Our story begins in the late autumn; the harvests are in and the common folk of the towns and village are preparing for the coming winter.  In the cities, the markets are still well-stocked as the recently harvested goods are brought in for sale, but the city folk are also stocking up on supplies.  In the north of Ivalis it gets cold in the winter, after all.  In the Free City of Anchorhead the docks are busy with ships coming and going, bringing goods from across the continent, from Albion and Rousset, and places farther in all directions of the compass.  The sea is a slate blue, deep and dark, but the sky has not turned grey with winter yet, and the gulls riding the wind in the blue of it still cry.

It is mid-morning when those of you in town receive a letter sealed with unmarked wax.  It was left with the landlord (innkeeper, etc.) early in the morning.  Opening in the letter you see it is written in a strong and steady script, in the manner of a learned person.  The letter reads:

quote:
“I would be honored by your visit to my pavilion south of the city on the east side of the river, noon today, for lunch and conversation.  I have a favor to ask.  Yours expectantly, AL.”

For those of you arriving in Anchorhead this lovely morning, you are approached on the road before reaching the city by a page or squire, wearing blue and white livery with no crest, specifically peasant-style trousers, a white blouse, a vest beneath a blue and white tabard.  He is a young man with dark hair and has a longsword at his side.  The page who formally and offers you a similar letter.  If asked, he directs you in the proper direction to the pavilion in the letter, though he remains at his place on the road.

OOC:  First post should include a description of your character, whether they have been in Anchorhead for any time, or if they are just arriving, what they've been up to recently.  You could have arrived by sea or land, or could be a native son of the city.

Kaspar Kaspar.png.95167745fd1ed742457937e63cd0c554.pngreread the his landlord had handed him this morning, with a careful mention that another night of performing was expected of him, or to pay for his rent in hard coin. He had agreed to another performance as he loathed to part with his money, and loved to show of his talent, even if it was in just the common room of a tavern.

The letter promised a chance for change, the writer was clearly a person of means and education. Perhaps he had heard of his fame as Bard and wanted to employ his talents. For some time now, his prospects of performing for the nobility had become rarer and rarer. So he performed for room and meals in the inns and taverns of Anchorhead for the last 6 months. He wondered sometimes if it was time for him to move on.

He quickly checked his appearance in the looking glass. As it was his custom, he wore the long white hair tied together with a silk ribbon, ensuring his elven ears to be clearly visible. He might be only a half elf, but there were so few of his kind around that his narrow beardless features and the eyes like molten silver were already certain giveaways of his heritage. So instead of hiding it he emphasized his being different. It increased his chances of being seen, which was a good thing in his profession.

This was also the reason that he wore his stage costume, of blue pants and coat, with red and yellow trims. The dashing hat with the red feather completed the outfit. Buckling on his rapier he left his rooms, and left for the meeting with the mysterious A.L.

He set out in long strides, confident that he would reach his target at the appointed time, even without going to the expense of renting a horse.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)

Eadberht was intrigued by the letter, but also cautious. Favors owed create obligation, and that he could use. The servant seemed like that of a noble, and a noble in your debt was a source of wealth. On the other hand, someone who had sought him out knew about his abilities. Most of his business had been done under assumed identities, so he doubted that they were familiar with his...less reputable work, but it was still something to keep in mind.

All in all, it was worth perhaps taking a look, and he was confident in his ability to get out should things go wrong. He had some experience with that, after all. He hadn't been in Anchorhead for too long, having just arrived by the road from Hohlenstadt earlier that day. Checking up on his family, giving them some of the proceeds from his "merchant work". With that, his purse was uncomfortably empty, and he had grown accustomed to the finer things in life.

He adjusted his hat, a floppy burgundy affair with a set pearl on the front and a feather tucked in the hatband. His clothes were blue with silvery trim, a few small gemstones around the collar and cuffs. They were made in the Imperial's modern fashion, with slashed arms to show off the fact that he could, in fact, afford to waste the fabric. The man inside the clothes was no less impressive (or so he believed). He had wavy, well coiffed hair the color of eastern coffee, a carefully trimmed beard and a thick mustache. His skin wasn't quite pale; he had spent enough time on the road and (occasionally) doing actual work to get a healthy shade.

His appearance was maintained partly by application of his magic, cleaning off any mud or grime that touched his clothes or his shiny black boots, brass buttons along the side of each as closures. He carried a slightly more beaten pack, but it had been with him far longer than this particular set of clothes. He changed them somewhat regularly, and made sure to keep several suits in case he needed to swap identities in a flash. He'd sell all but his favorite before leaving this place, as well. Regardless, he had an appointment now, and he intended to keep it.

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 24/24, Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 14

Having come into to Anchorhead to blow off a little steam at his favorite tavern, Ehrick had stayed the night in one of the guest rooms it had. So he was a bit surprised when someone knocked on his door as he was getting ready to leave and handed him a letter. He read the letter and while a little confused by it, it did pique his curiosity.

So he finished putting on his dark brown studded leather and then covered it with his light green tabard. He strapped his twin scimitars to his waist and then shouldered his backpack and his quiver. He took one last look in the mirror and made sure his sandy brown hair, beard and mustache were clean and well trimmed. It was not the he was a vane guy, but he preferred to not look like he was a wild man.

Satisfied he set out for the rendezvous spot to see what exactly this AL wants with him.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

spacer.pngSilas took the letter and stood by the window where there was a patch of sunlight. His room at this inn was small, barely long enough for him to lay down in his cot, with the bed taking up the majority of the room. The narrow window came at an extra charge, but it was worth it to Silas. 

If his time with the Fuggers had taught him anything, it was that information was the most valuable thing around, and yet people were constantly giving it away. The seal was without signet, but he examined it anyway, rubbing a small bit between his fingers. He even brought the paper close to his nose and sniffed it, trying to decide what odors he could detect on it. He wasn't sure what the facts he collected told him, but he was content to collect a few puzzle pieces to be fitted into a larger whole later.

"Noon," he muttered to himself. Only a few hours away and not much time to prepare. Still, he could take a few steps. It was not his first time in Anchorhead, for his masters had come to this useful city several times. It had seemed a good place to come once he purchased his freedom. He had the impression it was full of opportunities. He smiles slightly to himself. "Apparently, I was right."

He goes down to the Innkeeper to ask who might have a pavilion south of the city, particularly with the initials A.L. Then, he heads off to the meeting, aiming to get there early and spend some time investigating the site before presenting himself.

Silas:  The Innkeeper is either not too bright or not too imaginative, but either way he doesn’t recognize the initials.  Could be a lot of people, don’t-cha-think?

The four of you depart the city by the East gate, to be on the proper side of the river, and the sound of the old water mill forms the base for a constant thrum of people entering and leaving for the surrounding farms and towns or heading off on a longer journey.  There are carts, wagons, mounted men, and many on foot from all walks of life.  There are also four Black Legionnaires in their signature scale mail with black trim, short swords at the hip and spears in hand.

Outside the city the traffic, while common, thins out on the road away from the bottleneck of the bridge.  It is a short walk of only 30 minutes or so through the bucolic landscape of farmsteads before you see what is undoubtedly the pavilion in a recently plowed field.

There are four tents, of the tall peaked type seen at tourneys, in blue and white stripes.  A small herd of horses, maybe 13 or so, are nearby including a magnificent white charger, and the smell of roasting mutton carries in the wind from a small outside kitchen set up near one of the tents.  There are six men-at-arms standing about alertly and some servants about the pavilion, setting up a make-shift table in the center of planks, stout kegs for chairs, etc.

As he approaches the pavilion he pulls out the letter.

I received this invitation from I assume you boss.

He takes in his surroundings trying to account for the guards, the others gathering and possible locations for attackers. When directed to he will take a seat and wait for their host.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

spacer.pngSilas shrugged at the innkeeper, unfazed by his lack of helpfulness. "I suppose it could be," he replied to the man. There was obviously no point in pressing the idiot further. Other avenues of investigation had occurred to him, but none of them were as simple or efficient as simply presenting himself at the place and time requested.

With reluctance, Silas left the city, nose wrinkling at the smell of 'fertilizer' coming from the fields. I know the city reeks, he thought to himself. But there is something unrelenting about the scent of cow shit. After a few fumbling moments, he had a spark from his tinderbox which he used to light his pipe. Quickly thereafter, the scent of smoldering herbs had washed out the smell of manure.

Silas slowed as he approached the campsite, looking it over and considering what he saw. A noble traveling with a train. How interesting. But staying outside the city. Seeking discretion, perhaps? It seemed likely, given the caginess of the invitation.

The noble, whoever they were, might have gotten his name from the Fuggers, but he wondered what they might be hiring him for. They have enough fighting men, that is for certain. As he approached closer, he could see there was one warrior sitting at his ease, rather than bustling as the men-at-arms and servants were. Still, it was one of the men-at-arms on duty he approached at first, offering the invitation for inspection. "I was asked to present myself to... His Lordship? Please inform him I am at his service." 

Kaspar.png.95167745fd1ed742457937e63cd0c554.png

Kaspar enjoyed his stroll on this nice autumn day, right up to the moment the rather martial camp came into view. The number of armed men, in combination with the unknown sender of the message, made him a bit nervous.

Blue and white colors, and the intials A.L. who might this be, I’m long enough in town that I should know the colors of most noble families. It better not be the Longtree’s or I’m going to be in trouble.”

(OOC does Kaspar recognize the heraldic colors?)

Upon reaching the waiting man at arms, he walked with deliberation towards them smiled confidently and presented the note.

I think I am expected, please announce me to your master.”

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)

The men-at-arms greet each of you in turn politely.  "Welcome, sir.  Yes, you are expected," the one approached says to each of you in turn, adding for Kaspar, "we await one more and then I will present you."  Ehrick arrived first, followed by Silas and then Kaspar.  A manservant approaches and offers wine, apologizing that they only have wooden traveling cups to serve it in.

1Kaspar.png.95167745fd1ed742457937e63cd0c554.png Kaspar thanked the manservant, studied and sniffed the wine, before lifting the cup and pretended to sip a bit. Still not knowing who invited him continues to make him suspicious.

"A fine wine, despite the cup. May I ask you for who our host is? The page delivering my invitation forgot to leave the information with my landlord."

Eadberht arrived and took his cup of wine, showing his invitation quickly before taking a seat.

"To the generosity of our host."

He raised his cup in a toast before making a subtle gesture and speaking an odd syllable. Droplets of condensation formed as the wine quickly chilled to a more pleasant temperature.

"Eadberht von Hohlenstadt, at your service."

This was followed by a quick sip followed by a sigh of approval.

"I will call m'lord now," the servant says after Eadberht sat down.  "Do introduce yourselves," he suggests to the others with a bow and smile.  He then walks towards one of the tents and steps inside.  After a couple of minutes the tent flap is withdrawn and a tall man steps out followed by the servant.  He is in plate armor, well polished and with engravings and filigree.  His hair is short cut and blond and neat, at his side a sword in its scabbard, a short cape of blue hangs from his shoulders.  He smiles warmly as he approaches the make shift table.  "Forgive the rude furnishings if you would, and the simple mutton stew; our host had nothing more to sell and it is good and wholesome," he points to the distant farmhouse when he speaks of the 'host.'  His voice is quite charming, quite likely he is a talented singer.  "Thank you for joining me for lunch, I am Anders Lightbringer," he introduces himself with a bow.

OOC: You can make an INT check to see if you recognize the name.

Ehrick declines when offered wine.

I would prefer water if you would be so kind.

Assuming he is given water, then he will raise it and take a sip When Eadberht raises his.

Nice to meet you. I am Ehrick Archer and that pretty much states my preferred method of fighting.

He nods a greeting to any others that introduce themselves and to their host when he joins them. He remains quiet waiting for the man to get to the point of this meeting.