First Time Out

Grendel

spacer.pngSilas looks back and forth between the two men as they sort out their misunderstanding, looking unconcerned. "I think we're all on the same page, no harm done. I'll inspect the Blood & Shot and see if Bruno is in. I'll either come back out and get you all, or..." He points a finger at Ehrick and mutters quietly. 

Ehrick hears the other man's voice softly in his ears, a whisper carried by the wind."This is a more discreet way of speaking. You can reply, but only a few words."

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 24/24, Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 14

Ehrick jumps a bit when he sees Silas points at him and mumbles something but he still hears it as if the man was standing next to him.

I take it that is just between us? Or does that include the others too?

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 22 Initiative: +3

"Excellent Gentlemen, this sounds like a plan. If you excuse me I'm having an appointment with a nice mug of ale at the Sailor's rest. No better place for gossip than such a place, sailors always try to catch up to what has happened while they where gone. shall we say we meet here again in a few hours, or would you like to join me for supper at the sailors rest?"

"might not be the worst idea to wait for the evening crowd there as well" Kaspar muses.

He determinedly strides towards the door of the inn, opens it and steps in 

"Good day to all here" he announces with a booming voice to the room, before locating the bar and taking a seat

---

OOC rolling perception to see who is in the inn room

Name
perception
1d20+1 20

Eadberht observes the Sea Serpent for a minute, attempting to discern what kind of clientele are present. It may be best to change into more mundane clothes before going inside if it's too rough-and-tumble.

Regardless, he preemptively uses his disguise kit to dye his hair blonde and stows his hat in his pack. He also changes the color of his outer doublet to...he looks around to see if there's any common color around here. Maybe orange, if that seems to be fashionable. If everything looks like he'll blend in, he'll go inside and talk to the bartender after ordering a drink. Nothing top of the shelf, but enough that he's not a cheapskate.

Edited by JohannThierial (see edit history)
Name
Perception to observe the Sea Serpent
1d20+2 13

Guys, don't plan on being in there for several hours. Just go in ask the bartender and servers if they have seen a golden haired female elf in recently. Maybe check with a few patrons that look like they spend all their time there, and then come back. We have too many possible places to look to waste time sitting around in just one of them.

As the others move off to their separate destinations he makes his way over to his look out spot. He leans against the wall of the building and starts his watch. Having been on guard duty before he is used to the boredom that can come with it. He does his best to keep an eye out for people leaving the taverns or inn in a hurry and to keep an eye on the traffic on the road to make sure no one is sitting back watching him or moving towards him. All the activity on the street makes this a bit difficult.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
Perception check
1d20+4 5

spacer.pngSilas nods to each of the others as they part, then turns to head into the Blood and Shot. Given the name of the place, he checks that his rapier can be easily drawn and that he has a dagger easy to hand. He tries to recall if he's heard of the place before and what he might expect inside. 

He doesn't take any other preparations before entering, glancing around quickly to get the layout and spot who is about.

Name
Perception in the bar
1d20+6 18
History(?) for Bar
1d20+2 12

The Sailor's Rest is an inn and not a tavern.  It does have a common room with a hearth/fireplace and a board for serving, but no stools or chairs at the board.  There are several bench-style tables in the center of the common room and a couple of smaller ones along the walls.  At this hour the common room is fairly quiet, the boarders staying there either out or in their rooms.  The three or four sailors hanging about (mostly smoking) in the common room look up when Kaspar enters and then return to their private affairs.  There is a fire in the fireplace.  Behind the board is the landlord who stands from a chair when Kaspar makes his dramatic entrance.  The man is bald in the center of his head and his mustache connects to his side burns, all brown hair.  His face is ruddy as one who worked in the sun and he was growing a pronounced belly.  Kaspar does not see a fair, golden-haired elf maiden in the common room.

The Sea Serpent, by contrast, is quite full.  This tavern is quite lively with sailors of many nationalities, generally gathered together with like-minded people, and not a table is free.  There is also a fireplace going near the back and there are several, men leaning on the board for lack of a chair to sit in.  The landlord has a handlebar mustache in a black and his black hair is in a long queue in the back.  The barmaids are busy mostly moving beer around.  Eadberht, after taking some time to change his appearance, enters and makes his way to the board.  It is not crowded enough to have push through, and he does not spot a fair, golden-haired elf maiden either.

The Blood & Shot is a different character from the others.  If the patrons in this establishment are connected to the shipping industry it is as stevedores, cut-purses and pirates.  Many of the people in here look like they may have orc blood, and they smell even worse.  It is packed to the gills, requiring some effort to push through the standing-room only crowd.  The place has several support beams and pillars for the upper floor creating a forest of them through the common room.  The barmaids are tough, regularly punching or slapping patrons who get too familiar; clearly anyone demur or weak would not survive working here.  The presumed landlord, behind the board serving mugs of grog, is either a shaved bugbear or a half-orc of amazing proportions.  There is smoke everywhere from the poorly ventilated hearth to the pipes of the patrons.  Fortunately for Silas he is very perceptive.  Having pushed his way through the throng somewhat he spots a flash of yellow-gold in the distance.  Behind the hearth (from his perspective) is a figure covered in a long cloak of blue sitting at a table with a child or perhaps a gnome, her golden hair escaping from the hood as the two speak with faces close for privacy and to be heard over the din of the crowd.

Eadberht goes to the bar and glances over the menu, ordering whatever the middle-of-the-road alcohol is. He drinks for a few minutes before he sighs to the bartender, looking downtrodden.

"You wouldn't have happened to see someone around here recently, would you? Blonde hair, elf?"

He puts his head in his hands.

"Oh, he's going to be so angry."

spacer.pngSilas breathes through his mouth, attempting to save himself from the stench. Despite that, he is unfailingly polite as he attempts to make his way through the bar, excusing himself with each step. He sways back to avoid an errant elbow that might have cost him a tooth or two, then spins out of the way of a bustling barmaid unable to see over a tray of drinks. 

When the flash of gold catches his eye, he immediately points back toward Ehrick and mutters quietlyI think I've got her, but this place is packed. Collect the other fellows, as we're going to need help. I don't know if you want to come in here or try to cover the exits.. Silas is discreet, but not overly concerned that someone might see him cast the cantrip. He continues on his path to the board, doing his best to discreetly get a clearer look at their quarry and the person keeping them company. When he reaches the board he passes a coin over for a mug, then casually makes his way toward the hearth, as if looking for a clear space to stand.

Edited by Past Imperfect (see edit history)

Ehrick stands up straight when he hears that Silas might have found her. He is about to respond out loud when he remembers no one else can hear Silas and would likely think him mad. He whispers back.

Try to verify that it is her before I go running and grab the others.

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 22 Initiative: +3

Not seeing anybody of immediate intererst, Kaspar strides towards the Landlord "Good day kind Sir, my name is Kaspar of Ederthal, I'm an entertainer, looking for lodging and work. I assume you do let rooms to my kind?" thinking to himself "Elves and Half Elf are pretty rare around here, if he has seen Caelyn, this should cause a reaction". 

He focuses his whole attention on the landlord and his reaction.

---

OOC uses perception again to observe the landlords reaction for clues, after all he hasn't heard of the possible lead yet.

Name
perception
1d20+1 5

The Sailor's Rest:  The landlord looks Kaspar up and down.  After a moment's thought he says, "you can rent a room and entertain the guests in the common room.  If you earn enough for your room, or more, fine by me.  But no free rooms here, I fill up every time a ship is in port."  It only takes a week in town to know there is always a ship in port, Anchorhead being the gateway to the North Sea.  The man seems not exactly hostile to entertainers, but certainly not friendly either.

The Sea Serpent:  The landlord looks at Eadberht and smiles.  "Are you looking for some company, eh?  I might know someone who can arrange it.  An elf would be expensive though," he says clearly believing that Eadberht is looking for a lady of the evening, perhaps for a wealthy patron.  He leans on the board to get closer, to listen conspiratorially, and Eadberht catches a strong wiff of the lack of personal hygiene that seems to be his custom.

The Blood & Shot:  Being polite doesn't get Silas any better reaction, and in some case, earns his nasty and/or predatory looks.  Anyone who is polite seems to fall into the 'prey' category for these ruffians, the Blood & Shot being the repository for scum and villainy in the city.  It takes physical effort to get as far as the board, yelling to get the attention of landlord, and then dexterity to push through the crowd to the hearth without spilling much of the grog.  Because of the cloak hood it is difficult to get a good look at the elf woman, though the features that are visible are exquisite; she and her gnome companion would stand out in the mob if she could be seen better.  The gnome himself looks terrified to be in here and is speaking hurriedly and constantly looking over his shoulder.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)

spacer.pngSilas remains relentlessly respectful as he passes through the crowd, whether it eases his passage or makes it more difficult. However, he is not adverse to staring down patrons and reaching for a knife when someone gets too hostile or tries to put their hands on him. He sniffs at the mug and he got from the landlord and takes a careful, experimental sip to see what it is he is dealing with. 

After a few moments being jostled while he tries to discreetly get a clear view of the woman, he breathes out heavily through his nose, then pushes into the crowd to find some cover. He points out toward Ehrick and mutters. "It's a beautiful, blond woman in a den of thieves and cutthroats. She's wearing a hood, so I can't see her ears. I don't know how better to confirm her identity that walking up and asking. Maybe send one of our charmers in here, but make it quick." 

OOC

Throwing a stealth roll in there to stay unobserved by the gnome, just in case.

Edited by Past Imperfect (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+6 8