First Time Out

Grendel

Eadberht snaps back to his own senses, overcoming the minor disorientation with a quick shake of his head. The shot was almost painful to the bat's sensitive ears, and Adain whimpers slightly as it flutters near the ceiling. He hopes that in the chaos, nobody cares about a bat in the ceiling of a tavern.

There's too many people to use anything crazy. He palms a strange crystal and holds it in his hand, preparing to intervene.

"No way! I know that mug from the wanted posters! He's that famous outlaw, Barg Bugroad!"

Since it looks like I'm the current high roller, I'll try to go ahead and attempt to follow along with the bluff. If attempting deception doesn't take an action, I'll ready an action to use mage armor if things start heading in my direction.

Edited by JohannThierial (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+2 20
Deception
1d20+3 19

Eadberht makes his play, and though no one has ever heard of a Barg Bugroad, some of the ruffians in the crowd turn in the direction he is pointing.  Since he is pointing at the man with the gun, however, the deception doesn't last very long, except among the less intelligent ones or those new to Anchorhead, as that man seems to be known.  Nonetheless, the deception distracts some of the crowd.  Silas meanwhile moves to Kaspar and suggests they get out of the tavern, though with the crowd no divided, that is not an easy task, through front or back door.  He drops the ball bearings onto the floor and they go rolling all over the place, assisted in their spread by the uneven floor of warped planks.

Caelyn meanwhile jumps out of her seat before the ruffians - or almost anyone - has a chance to charge at her.  The cloak falls back to reveal her better and it is now obvious why she as wearing it so close: her outfit is scandalously small for Ivalian norms consisting of small, tight shorts; half a blouse that only covers her chest, though it has long sleeves, and leaves her shoulders bear; and knee-high boots.  The shorts and boots are brown, the latter of leather; the blouse is white and linen.  She wears a rapier in a fancy black scabbard, her hair is loose and tumbles down her back.  She leaps up and makes it into the back stairs, the ones that go up the second floor, moving past Ehrick in a flash.

The gnome wastes no time either and rolls back and away from where Caelyn was.  With no one really paying him any mind, he disappears rapidly.  At this point the bulk of the bar patrons finally move into action.  Those nearer the front door turn at Eadberht's deception and many of them are looking dazed and confused, but none seems willing to apprehend or attack the man with the gun or engage with his thugs.  Those nearer the back surge forward towards where Caelyn was a second ago many lose their footing because of the ball bearings.  With fists flying and legs slipping out from under them, the bar patrons dissolve into a general melee, with every man trying to beat the lights out of everyone else.  Unfortunately for Silas and Kaspar, they are in the midst of the chaos.

The two thugs by the door had made a move as though to go after Caelyn, but at Eadberht's call their boss held them back.  The boss turns to face Eadberht.  "Who are you and why are you interfering with my business?" he asks in a menacing tone.

Ehrick, left for the moment watching the well-shaped retreating rear of Caelyn going up the stairs, and the mob attempting to push towards him, can now change his action and react.

By the time Ehrick is

Name
Random Fist attacks on Kaspar and Silas
SyntaxError: Unexpected token nan
1d20+3;1d20nan
Random Fist on Kaspar
1d20+3 3
Random Fist on Silas
1d20+3 9

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 24/24, Initiative13: +3, Passive Perception: 14

Ehrick quickly rushes up the stairs after the elf. He calls out to her hoping that they were not lied to and this woman really will want to see him.

Lady Caelyn! Lord Anders Lightbringer sent my friends and I to bring you to him. If we get out of here I can take you to him, if you wish.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 22 Initiative: +3

Kaspar feels the air rushing by his face, as he avoids the wild swings of fists thrown at him. "Silas is right we better get the hell out of here. Let's give the others a bit of breathing room for the retreat"

He draws his rapier, and calls out in his best stage voice "Eh you Bugroad" pointing at the boss and casting vicioys Mockery on him "You don't even have the 10 gold pieces you promise the folks here, you are dead broke."

At the same time he moves backward in the general direction of the stairs.

Persuasionconvince as many bystanders as possible thast there are no 10 GP to be earned

Edited by Shocker
changed deception to persuasion (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 3

spacer.pngSilas spends a few moments just dodging flailing fists and elbows. This simple job has, unsurprisingly, gone to hell in a moment and Silas isn't sure what to do about it. He sends a quick message to Kaspar, saying, "Heading after Ehrick and the woman? I'm going to stick around to back up Eadberht. We'll try to get out and meet up with you."

As Kaspar pushes through the crowd to the back of the room, Silas head's back toward the entrance, hoping to take up a spot between the man with the gun and his two thugs.

Name
Insightful fighting
1d20+6 6

"O Servants of Stone and Earth, reach out and grasp mine foes."

Eadberht holds the crystal while reciting the spell in an arcane tongue. Though the floor of the tavern is made of wood, earth seeps through the cracks and forms a hand, which reaches out and attempts to grab the leader.

Casting Earthen Grasp, targeting the leader. The spell forces a DC 13 STR save, or else he is restrained and takes 2d6 bludgeoning. Should allow them to either get him or get out more easily.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/maximilians-earthen-grasp

Round 2

Eadberht casts his spell on the boss as a response to his question.  The stone hands come up from the ground and grasp his ankles.  He looks startled and angry, but not seriously injured.  Silas then moves around behind him and his thugs.  Kaspar calls the boss "Bugroad" again and casts his cantrip, but the man brushes it off, looking at the half-elf with more confusion and growing anger.  "Who the hell is Bugroad, you moron?!"  He asks with exasperation.  Kaspar is beyond the hearth at this point regardless, in the midst of the melee.

Caelyn reached the top of the stairs, which turn to the left into a hallway with several private rooms along the front of the tavern.  Ehrick comes up behind her:

Ehrick

Lady Caelyn! Lord Anders Lightbringer sent my friends and I to bring you to him. If we get out of here I can take you to him, if you wish.

She pauses only long enough to look him over saying, "If that were true you would not call me 'Lady' nor call his name aloud in such a place as this." Then she pushes her way into one of the private rooms, closing the door behind her.

As Kaspar moves into the melee trying to get through, a random fist hits him in the side of his torso.  The front of the mob reaches the foot of the stairs and there are several fists, shoves and kicks as the first three try to get up and the others behind them pull them down and/or try to climb over them.

NotesKaspar takes 2 points of non-lethal damage.

Caelyn used two actions: one to reach the door and another to go through it.

Ehrick can now go.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)
Name
STR Save
1d20 5
WIS Save
1d20+2 14
Random Fist on Kaspar
1d20+2 15

Realizing that they do not have time for all this chatting right now and that these thugs trying to come up the stairs are not going to be nice to Caelyn, he moves quickly to the door and attempts to kick it open. He really hopes the elf is not still right in front of the door.

The term lady was used to be polite! And how the hells am I supposed to tell you who sent me if I don't use his friggin name!

His foot throbs as it connects with the door, but the door refuses to yield. he quickly glances down the hall to see if there is another way out other than the stairs. He also quickly turns to face another door so hopefully when the next guy comes up the stairs he will assume the elf went into that room.

Name
Strength check to kick open door
1d20+2 4
Deception check
1d20-1 14

Leaving the man trapped, the mage moves out of the line of sight by hiding behind the doorjamb, just outside the building, but maintains his concentration on the spell. He retrieves a bag of caltrops in case he needs to make a quick escape, preparing to drop them and run.

Edited by JohannThierial (see edit history)

spacer.pngSeeing Eadberht disappear out of the door, Silas realizes the wizard probably didn't need his help. Nonetheless, he's reluctant to leave a companion on their own. He heads toward the front door, tapping one thug on the shoulder as he goes by to distract him, then heading around the other way. As he hurries out the door, he gestures with one hand and a voice in the crowd near the stairs seems to shout out, "She went out the back door!"

Silas raises his hands in a peace sign when he sees Eadberht just outside the door. "Well, that went to all nine hells pretty quickly. Any ideas?" As he speaks, he turns to face the door and draws his rapier. "Perhaps starting with moving elsewhere?"

OOC

Bonus action: Disengage around the thugs and the restrained dude.

Action: Minor illusion to create the sound of someone shouting in the crowd of bar "patrons."

Movement: Out the door.

Edited by Past Imperfect (see edit history)

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 20/22 Initiative: +3

Feeling suddenly very alone in the room, Kaspar decides to turn heel and dashes towards and if possible up the stairs, making sure that his rapier is in a position encouraging people to get out of his way.

"Out of my way!" He hollers and charges towards his goal.

(Acrobatics check 12+3 = 15)

As they don't really move, he jumps onto the back of the nearest brawler, and lightly moves along shoulders and backs of the fighting masses reaching his target.

(OOC)

I think with a normal movement of 30ft, so with dash I should make it up the stair and see Ehrick. I will roll perception just in case for that. I'm also adding another persuasion for the people believing me being serious of using the rapier.

Edited by Shocker
changing to Acrobatics (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 12
Perception
1d20+1 9

Round 3 Summary

Caelyn suddenly opens the door to face Ehrick.  "Are you coming?" she says calmly, as though she was waiting for him.  She then turns to the window and stands on the sill.  "A show of good faith, some flattery, perhaps a gift, you know prove you have my best interests at heart; don't drag his name n the mud of my affairs," she says conversationally as she opens the window, responding to his perhaps rhetorical question.  She reaches up and grabs the eaves of the roof, clearly intending to go up.

The boss man pulls himself free of the grasping stone hand as he watches both Silas and Eadberht exit quickly from the tavern.  With none of you near him, whatever he is planning next is lost to you.

The bar patrons meanwhile keep fighting amongst themselves to get up the stairs, despite the now growing calls from the landlord to knock it off and stop destroying his pub.  With all of the fists flying about at least one comes close to Kaspar again, but the half-elf nimbly scampers up the piled men stumbling over each other to get up the stairs.  One or two are likely to make it up right on his heels.  When Kaspar reaches the top of the stairs, a quick survey left and right spots Ehrick standing at an open door down the hall.

OOC:  Kaspar can move down to the door next round.  Ehrick goes now, then we are back to top of the initiative and Eadberht on Round 4.

Name
STR Save
1d20 17
Random Fist on Kaspar
1d20+1 12

Ehrick stands there testing his sore foot to make sure his kick did not break anything when the door opens and Caelyn invites him to follow as well as give him instructions on how he should have approached her.

Just as he is about to follow her he sees Kaspar make it to the top of the stairs. He points for Kaspar to continue down the hall and speaks with what he hopes is only loud enough for Kaspar to here.

Lead them that way! Meet you outside.

With that he follows the elf into the room closing the door behind him. He heads over to the window and proceeds to follow her as best he can. 

Oh this could end very badly for Ehrick!

Name
Athletics check to climb out window onto the roof
1d20+4 1

Round 4, Caelyn's Action (Silas goes before her but they are not in the same area.)

Caelyn catches Ehrick before he falls out the window, his hand slipping from the wet eaves of the tavern.  "Be careful," she says taking off her cloak and handing it to him.  "Me first, okay?" She reaches up and does a flip onto the roof feet first, a graceful move as though she floated freely in the window.  Then her arm comes down, whether offering to help or simply asking for her cloak is unclear.

Name
Acrobatics
1d20+9 20