First Time Out

Grendel

spacer.pngEhrick Archer Human Ranger 2/Fighter 1 

AC: 15, HP: 24/24, Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 14

On it. I'll get them.

Ehrick quickly moves across the street and goes into the bars after the other two. He walks into The Sailor's Rest, glances around and then calls out loud.

Kasper

He then motions for him to follow him out of the bar. He then heads into The Sea Serpent and repeats the process calling for Eadberht.

Once he has both of them outside he explains that Silas might have found her in The Blood & Shot, but is a bit worried about approaching her. 

So if one of you will approach her. Probably tell her you have a message from Lightbringer for a Caelyn. If not, then I can do it. No need to make it more complicated than it is.

He gives look to Eadberht as he says the last, glancing at his disguise with a questioning look.

The Sailor's Rest:  When Ehrick calls Kaspar the landlord shrugs and returns to his seat where he picks up some whittling he was working on to pass the time (in fact scrimshaw, as in carving a whale tooth.)

The Sea Serpent:  There is a more prominent reaction from the customers of this establishment at the calling out of Eadberht's name, largely because it is busier and has more people than the Sailor's Rest.  The landlord looks at Eadbehrt with disappointment when he dismisses the offer of companionship, then shrugs it off and turns to serve another patron.

The Blood & Shot:  Silas maneuvers through the crowd, sometimes avoiding confrontation and sometimes facing someone down.  It seems to be the norm in this place that threats are how you communicate that you belong, not a primer for a fight.  The gnome, despite his frantic paranoia, does not seem to notice him.  However, the woman does; there is a fraction of eye contact and then she returns her attention to the gnome.

OOC:  For timing purposes, Silas sent the message after he was settled with his drink.  So Ehrick moving to collect the others happens after that, and assuming* Kaspar also leaves at Ehrick's call, the three of you meet up outside the Blood & Shot (perhaps across the street by the water) about 5 minutes after Silas sent the message.  *The Agency Rule means I will nt assume so in-game until Kaspar posts his actions.

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

AC: 14 HP 22 Initiative: +3

Upon hearing  being called and the dismissive reaction of the landlord. Kaspar leaves the establishment, walking slowly not to leave the impression he was summoned by his betters. 

Meeting the others he listens to the suggestion of just walking int there and talking to the lady. 
“Sounds easy enough, and I’m willing to do that. It might not be a terrible bad idea to plan ahead in case the young lady decides to run off through the back door. Can you keep an eye out for that?”

He straightens his hat and clothes before getting ready to enter the Blood and Shot. “So are we doing this quietly or in style?”

Quietly. We don't want any more attention then necessary. Once inside I can move to cover the back entrance as you head for the elf girl and Eadberht can stay near the front door. Just keep in mind we don't want to hurt her and probably best to avoid a fight in this place.

As they go in he will look for a back way out and head for that.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

KaspaKaspar_token.png.f557392bf9ccae41dcb19ba62d1959cf.pngr of Ederthal Half Elf Bard 3

"Then let's do this without to much fuss." 

Kaspar steps through the door and into the crowded room, moving slowly but with deliberation towards the table with the hooded woman. On his way he tries to avoid bumping into any of the other guests. When reaching her he makes a little bow and speaks quietly, so that just she will be able to hear him.

"Miss Caelyn, don't be alarmed, I come in peace and with a message from Lord Anders Lightbringer."

That is at least his plan in reality ...

PersuasionTries to convey the truthfulness of his words, to avoid her jumping up and running away.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 12
Perception
1d20+1 10
Stealth
1d20+3 6

The crowd in this places makes it impossible to move quickly or to avoid bumping or pushing into anyone.  It also requires a Perception roll to find either Silas or Caelyn in the place.  Silas did not give any indication in his message where either of them were in the tavern.  For his part, Silas needs to make a Perception to see his companions enter, though he can roll with advantage since he is expecting them.  If you want to avoid being spotted by either Caelyn or the gnome roll stealth.  In terms of trying to speak for her ears only, she and the gnome are close together to hear each other in the crowd, there is no way she would allow a stranger to get close enough to whisper in her ear, and anything said from further can be heard at least by the gnome.  Given that, Kaspar how are you going to approach her, and do you want to edit what he says?  You can keep the persuasion die roll.

Caelyn and the Gnome are marked on the map below.  I am guessing Silas is by the hearth in the center, there are no available seats.  For scaling purposes assume the round tables are three feet across, the bigger rectangular tables are five feet long.  The front door is at the bottom, the board and landlord are on the left.  Aside from the hearth there are two ship's wheels hanging from sturdy ropes  on either side of it with candles, and a candle on each table.  There are a few windows making for normal lighting during the day.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)

Response to GrendelI'm keeping the words the same, I was just speaking in a low voice trusting on her keen elven hearing to hear me. If the Gnome hears it as well it's fine,
In general I just wasn't approaching her with a loud hollering.

Having rolled a low perception, let's assume that is what he is going to say, I'll edit the post accordingly.

But it looks like Kaspar's travel throught he Blood and Shot does't go as smoothly as he had wished for. So he keeps practicing his lines in his mind, for the time he finds her.

Ehrick spots the back door and pushes his way through the crowd to it. He does not worry about bumping into people but tries to minimize the impact so he does not cause anyone to spill their drinks.

OOC: Not sure if that perception check is enough to spot her. If not then he ends up standing behind her by the back door and is not aware she is right next to him. 😉

Name
Perception check
1d20+4 10

spacer.pngSilas is indeed lingering need the hearth, trying to sip his grog without making a face. The fact that the woman made eye contact has spooked him and he has to remind himself this is a simple job, no violence expected. He keeps his eyes peeled for the entrance of the others, but then he stops and cocks his head to the side. That gnome is bloody worried about something, he thinks to himself. 

He begins scanning the room, trying to discern if anyone else is watching the gnome and the blond woman.

Name
Perception for buddies
2d20+6 8,7
Blerg. Perception for real
drop(2d20,lowest,highest)+6 14,19
Insight/Perception for the crowd
1d20+6 17

Eadberht remains near the entrance to the tavern, but he has his bat familiar, Adain hang onto Kaspar's clothing as he makes his way into the bar. Adain then flies to the ceiling and looks down to find Silas and the woman. Once he's close enough, Eadberht will try to listen through the keen hearing of his familiar, trying to determine what the woman and gnome are saying.

Name
Adain's Perception
keep(2d20,highest,1)+1 19,13

Eadbehrt, standing by the door, focuses his mind on the bat's senses temporarily tuning out his own.  Eherick stands by the stairs where the back door is located.  Silas is by the hearth where he can see Caelyn without turning his head suspiciously.  Kaspar is wandering through the crowd.

What the Bat overhears

"Look it's getting hot in hear, are you going to help me or not?" Caelyn is saying to the gnome.  He doesn't get a chance to reply.

At this point three men enter the tavern together.  One is clearly the leader, wearing studded leather armor with a short sword and dagger in his belt, a cloak of dark green now thrown back.  His hair is black and he has a scraggly beard.  The other two are textbook thugs:  Big, mean looking; one bald, the other with light brown hair to his shoulders.  They are wearing leather armor that is a bit dingy, and have small clubs, like a sap or belaying pin.  The leader looks around and clearly has a keen eye.  Kaspar can see them clearly, being near the center of the tavern on the right side somewhere.  Eadberht is not aware yet, he is focused on the bat's senses.  Silas can spot them as can Ehrick (both using passive perception).

The leader pulls out a flintlock pistol and fires it into the ceiling.  The sound is deafening and gets everyone's attention.  He then points to the back of the tavern.  "I want that elf, alive.  Ten gold to the man who brings her to me," he says holding up a small pouch.  All heads turn towards the back of the tavern, though most of the patrons hadn't paid any attention or really seen her yet.  Roll Initiative.

spacer.png

Name
NPC Initiative Die
1d20 14

Ehrick swears when the man calls out and offers 10 gold to whoever brings her to him. Steps up to her and grabs her arm as he leans down to speak in her ear.

Lord Anders Lightbringer has sent me to bring you to him unharmed. Please come with me.

He tries to pull her up and to the back door and is hoping she is not going to fight. With his free hand he points at the man with the pistol.

That man is a rapist and slave trafficker and there is a 50 gold piece bounty on his head from the town guard!

He does not wait to see if anyone listens to him, but continues to try to get Caelyn out the back door.

Name
Initiative
1d20+3 10

Kaspar is perhaps half the distance between door and the table of Caelyn when the shot is fired. He whirls toward the noise, hand reaches to the hilt of his rapier ready to be pulled in an instant.

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 13

spacer.pngSilas can tell the green-cloaked man is going to be trouble before he opens his mouth. The pistol shot merely confirms things and sends Silas into action, though he doesn't reach for a weapon. Instead, his hand dips into a pocket and comes out with a pouch. He turns to hurry toward Ehrick and Caelyn, following the no doubt surging crowd, letting hundreds of ball bearings spill across the floor behind him. If he spots Kaspar, he'll motion toward the door and say, "Let's just get the hell out of here."

Edited by Past Imperfect (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 16