Application Question and Answers

bwatford

Hello Bwatford!

I've been reading the various character creation threads, and I've always wanted to give Kingmaker a try, I've done a number of Westmarches style games, so I don't think I'll be out of my depth (fingers crossed). I just have one question.

It's rare indeed for a DM to allow Fizzban's since its release, and I'd like to take advantage of that with an Emerald Dragonborn Barbarian Lord. However, reading through your backgrounds, I'm not seeing a perfect fit to work that naturally into the world without Storyteller buy in.

Would I be better served submitting an Aldori Human Bard, or is there enough juice with perhaps a former Dragon Lord Barbarian whose Clan was largely wiped out by the Tiger Lords to have a chance?

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, TheRaconteur said:

Would I be better served submitting an Aldori Human Bard, or is there enough juice with perhaps a former Dragon Lord Barbarian whose Clan was largely wiped out by the Tiger Lords to have a chance?

Since dragonborn don't technically exist in Golarion you would be considered an extremely rare race. Most people probably have never even seen your kind. Yet stranger beings have emerged.

Maybe the fact that your small clan was wiped out is what brought you out of hiding. I don't see an issue with the story. May need to choose a non Kingmaker background though or create your own and submit it for approval.

I don't see it being an issue and should offer some interesting RP opportunities if your character was selected for the game.

I don't see Paladin or Warlock in the classes page. Are they just an oversight as they didn't translate over from the Pathfinder classes, or are you not a fan of them for this game? I think a Warlock of one of the Eldest could be a good fit for the First World connection, or a Paladin of Erastil seems a good choice for a borderlands champion.

I'm 99% sure that guns aren't allowed because the DMG wasn't involved. But Tasa's has the alternate feat: "Gunner" which provides access to ranged firearms. If it's not allowed, that doesn't bother me any, I just have a character concept in mind that I think would do well with this setting and I'd prefer to make them with guns rather than crossbows.

3 minutes ago, Xerin said:

I'm 99% sure that guns aren't allowed because the DMG wasn't involved. But Tasa's has the alternate feat: "Gunner" which provides access to ranged firearms. If it's not allowed, that doesn't bother me any, I just have a character concept in mind that I think would do well with this setting and I'd prefer to make them with guns rather than crossbows.

As far as rules for actual "guns" are concerned there aren't any available for this game. However, for flavor, since Numeria is close to Brevoy feel free to reskin your crossbow, bow, etc as a firearm.  It won't change the underlying mechanics any but may give you the flavor you need for the character.

Speaking of reflavouring, I'm interested at using the Artillerist subclass (eventually) from the Artificer in Tasha's and running it as a mash up of the PF2e  Inventor/Gunslinger.

Their staff/eventual arcane firearm will look like a musket and her eventual eldritch cannon will look like a pistol. Hope that's okay?

Tentative interest, couple questions to narrow down a few concepts I have in mind:

• Understand it's a hard no on races with flying. Would it be all right to choose a race with flying and then just have them as a flightless version such as an Aarakocra with a broken wing or Fairy without wings at all? Keep the other special rules and leave that one out?
  • Double checking that multiclassing falls under the PHB optional rules?

36 minutes ago, Peacemonger said:

Tentative interest, couple questions to narrow down a few concepts I have in mind:

• Understand it's a hard no on races with flying. Would it be all right to choose a race with flying and then just have them as a flightless version such as an Aarakocra with a broken wing or Fairy without wings at all? Keep the other special rules and leave that one out?
  • Double checking that multiclassing falls under the PHB optional rules?

An flightless version of an Aarakocra would be fine.

A fairy character might find themselves faced with unexpected advantages or disadvantages in portions of this adventure where the First World (feywild) has a stronger role. It’s best for a fairy PC to have no knowledge of the Adventure Path’s key villains and very limited knowledge of the First World; a fairy who has lived their whole life on the Material Plane works better in Kingmaker than one who is more
familiar with the First World’s strangeness. That said, I am not sure that race is even in the approved book list.

Multiclassing is allowed and falls under the realm of the PHB optional rules.

I am contemplating of picking the bard class for my character but also wanted to ask. Can one of the bard's 3 instrument proficiencies be traded for a tool proficiency? I am thinking of painter's tools or weaver's tools.

23 minutes ago, Drome said:

I am contemplating of picking the bard class for my character but also wanted to ask. Can one of the bard's 3 instrument proficiencies be traded for a tool proficiency? I am thinking of painter's tools or weaver's tools.

I would be fine with that trade.

6 minutes ago, Quetzal said:

If our character starts with some money from their class, is it okay if we spend it on additional equipment prior to the games start? For example, a shield?

Sure, I have no problem with that.