Application Question and Answers

bwatford

5 minutes ago, Harding said:

Do the Brevoy Noble Background characters gain any skills, tools and/or languages?

Yes, that is based around which family that you select as stated under the background.

i.e. The Garess family gets proficiency with history, survival, blacksmithing tools and the dwarven language.

There are six families to choose from.

Your background feature is also tied to the family you choose.

3 minutes ago, bwatford said:

Yes, that is based around which family that you select as stated under the background.

i.e. The Garess family gets proficiency with history, survival, blacksmithing tools and the dwarven language.

There are six families to choose from.

Your background feature is also tied to the family you choose.

Many thanks... I really missed those O_o   

42 minutes ago, TheRaconteur said:

I tend to make my character's on DnDBeyond.

Do you like using that as a live sheet, or shall I make it on Mythweavers?

Beyond is fine for mechanics. Background and stuff others can't see viewing it si make sure all that stuff is in your app thread.

Awesome. Thank you!

Honestly I've never struggled to keep both sheets live in any game I've played, I can't imagine I would here either. 

Especially as I might be largely stepping away from DnDBeyond, depending on how things play out. 

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

On the borderlands pioneer background, it says a small pet with a CR of no greater than 1/8. Would a mule be acceptable if it fits with the background for my character? Or should I interpret small to be a strict definition on the size listed on the creature stat?

12 minutes ago, Rimnehm said:

On the borderlands pioneer background, it says a small pet with a CR of no greater than 1/8. Would a mule be acceptable if it fits with the background for my character? Or should I interpret small to be a strict definition on the size listed on the creature stat?

A mule would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I written a short example of backstory of my character, however im not entirely sure about which place to pick for it, so i need some help with lore for city that might be better suitable for it. Ideally , some distant enough city or village that might be desperate and corrupt enough to use something like slavery or serfdom for military purpose to protect themselves from various hazards like bandits and/or monsters would be fine.

If this concept is not within the lore at all, im fine to make it more suitable.

If I had to suggest a place that might fit the vibe described... Razmiran is a country ruled by the 'living god' Razmir, and its government is very corrupt, and its people not treated very well. There could be places there lawless enough where the local law just rounds up peasantry to be a 'militia' to cut costs, and fill the pockets of the Razmiran priests. There is also Isger, which is a vassal to a much more powerful country called Cheliax, and is a more rugged country that isn't well governed, or funded in most places that aren't already heavily developed. More of a forgotten hinterland that just gets mined for resources. I could see a local governor or politician enforcing military service on the locals, especially if the city was under threat. 

45 minutes ago, Quetzal said:

If I had to suggest a place that might fit the vibe described... Razmiran is a country ruled by the 'living god' Razmir, and its government is very corrupt, and its people not treated very well. There could be places there lawless enough where the local law just rounds up peasantry to be a 'militia' to cut costs, and fill the pockets of the Razmiran priests. There is also Isger, which is a vassal to a much more powerful country called Cheliax, and is a more rugged country that isn't well governed, or funded in most places that aren't already heavily developed. More of a forgotten hinterland that just gets mined for resources. I could see a local governor or politician enforcing military service on the locals, especially if the city was under threat. 

Thanks for advice, i think according to personality of Vulpes and his personal issues with nobles, Razmiran would be better fit. That might be extra reason why he dislikes nobles that doesnt treat a lower class well. Might be even a reason why he will hate his noble father or mother as well, because essentially he/she decided to give up a bastard child to orphanage to deal with the problem, and on top of that selected one of the worst places possible as well.

Edited by Moturnach (see edit history)

Hi, posting interest. I'm in the process of making a half-orcish druid with the borderlands pioneer background, and was wondering what options were appropriate for a pet. The description says it must be a creature with 1/8 CR or lower, and I was wondering if a goat or giant weasel would be acceptable options. Also, in gameplay terms, how would interactions with these creatures work?

Edited by Postmodernist (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Postmodernist said:

Hi, posting interest. I'm in the process of making a half-orcish druid with the borderlands pioneer background, and was wondering what options were appropriate for a pet. The description says it must be a creature with 1/8 CR or lower, and I was wondering if a goat or giant weasel would be acceptable options. Also, in gameplay terms, how would interactions with these creatures work?

A goat or a giant weasel would be appropriate pets.

They are pets in game (not full animal companions), so they are not controlled by you, but you can give them basic orders. Fetch, run, come, etc. Basic single words they have been trained with. They are not combat trained but may fight to defend themselves or you in certain situations. You might get them to attack something with an appropriate Animal Handling check as long as it is not unnatural (like undead, etc.)