Character Creation Questions and Answers

Powderhorn

Thanks again for the clarification.

Do the racial restrictions apply to just the spellcasters or to the Partial Mage classes as well?

For example, if "natural-types" are from Tierwald, does that mean an elf could be a Vowed or a Beastmaster? Would those be off-limits to other races?

Do the racial restrictions apply to just the spellcasters or to the Partial Mage classes as well?

• The looks to be case-by-case.  Typically, anything that you would consider "arcane" magic would only come out of Drokvia.  Anything "divine" out of Surgere, and anything "natural" out of Tierwald.  I'm inclined to say that even a partial beastmaster, from the name alone, would be restricted to Tierwald, but I'm not sure where you're seeing it.  Could you give me a page number?

For example, if "natural-types" are from Tierwald, does that mean an elf could be a Vowed or a Beastmaster? Would those be off-limits to other races?

• For the Vowed, this doesn't really seem to fit into any sort of magical category at all.  While there aren't really any monastic traditions in the modern D&D sense, if there is a way to make it thematically fit, I think it'd be fine for, potentially, anyone.

Got it, thanks - it looks like Beastmaster can be more or less "magical" as a partial class, depending on how it is made.  I would say that anything on the "more magical" side of things would need to be an elf, but something on the "less magical" side of things wouldn't necessarily have to be.  So, those abilities that can only be explained by magic, that would be an elf.  Anything with more mundane explanations might be a human, or possibly even a dwarf!

maybe I missed this in the setting material, but which nation is sponsoring this expedition? Currently I am making my guy one of the carpenter's mates on the ship, dropped off for whatever reason at this stop.

As I understand the rules (I did have to quickly review them), Mages get 1 focus, Warriors get 1 focus + 1 combat focus, Experts get 1 focus + 1 non-combat focus.  I don't think anyone should have three, unless I'm missing something?