Character Creation Questions and Answers

Powderhorn

Game is Rules as Written.  Please create a thread in the Applications tab for your character application.

• Any spellcaster applications must conform to the various setting information provided.  Divine-type casters from Surgere, arcane humans from Drokvia, and natural-types from Tierwald.  There are no "high level" spell casters known to anyone.

Other questions can be asked here.

Interesting stuff.

Are there other mechanical implications of racial selection beyond spellcasting? I know there are some racial foci in the various sourcebooks (dwarf and elf in the free one), is taking those required for those character options?

Is the Mage class from the free sourcebook always arcane?

The racial foci are required, but the generic one, not the one specific to Latter Earth.

I don't believe the Mage class is always arcane - my understanding is that that is the only class that can cast spells, but then there are other restrictions - for example all Healers are, per the rules, always a "partial" class.

Reading through the Nations page two peculiarities came up:

• Free States is said to be landlocked, but the map shows it has a coastline
  • Southland is said to be bordered by three states, but the map only shows two (Free States and Drokvia)

Did there use to be a state south of Free States and west of Southland?

I had to double check my reference sketch (literally done in a field years ago) to see what happened.  It looks like Southland originally had a northern border cutting across Drokvia and the Free States, but I like the current map seen - will update the reference materials to reflect that more appropriately when I get infront of my computer.

Very interested.

Questions: I have not been able to read the background setting info yet so apologies if this is answered already.

- Is the Atlas of Latter earth content available for character creation or are we core book only?

- 3d6 in order for stats? so my first roll is str, second is dex, ect?

I actually haven't read the supplemental classes in Atlas - I'm going to withhold judgement until I can read them, or make a case-by-case determination based on what feels like it would or wouldn't fit with the setting.

Stats are in order, so just like you said, first STR, then DEX, etc. etc.

I would also be interested in having The Atlas of the Latter Earth available.

The advertisement says "slow" leveling will be used. From my personal experience, this works better for home games than for play-by-post. A single PbP chapter/session can take 4-8 months, and using the slow variant means that it can take a year to get to level 2, which largely removes mechanical progression from the game. This is the GM's decision, of course, but I wanted to see if there's flexibility in the matter.

The top of this thread says "Game Rules as Written". Does that mean that the standard array is acceptable or is "iron man" rolling the only option?

I'll make it a point to review Atlas more closely when I am released from the honey-do list.  Tomorrow morning at latest.

Standard array or iron man are both fine.  Standard array is also RAW, from memory.

1 year of PbP / level is actually about right for the power level I want to keep things at.

Nope, I'm still getting comfortable with running it!

Re: Dwarves / Elves / Halflings / Gnomes - Just the stuff on 311, the stuff for 312 - 315 is for Latter Earth's setting.

Re: Atlas, no answer yet, still reading through it in snatches.