The Road to Taggun Hold

Blick

dekmal.jpg.a316c876303eb89840fa09378bcc219a.jpg

"Looks like they rose early as well.  I'll go see if they need help with the wagon." He still gives the room a good glance to make sure that they didn't leave some item of gear behind in their getting ready so early in the morning.

Dekmal gives a raised hand towards Merrick, "Good morn, did you have a good sleep?"

He asks even as he steps back from the doorway to the driver's room and heads down the hall, intending to make his way to the stables.

image.jpeg.804ca98e887eb4296df1832122bc6a22.jpeg Gabriel checks his captive and discovers that she has died. " I did not mean to hit her that hard. VALSTAK!" he said that last curse word a little loud for his taste and quickly cuts her bonds. Once fully dressed in his armor the barbarian picks her up and walks out into the hall. Seeing the others he announces that she is in fact dead.  

Merrick frowned upon the revelation of the girl' death. He should have checked her immediately; but had idled the night away. He was sure the death was not going to go over well with the locals.

"This is a problem, Gabriel. The locals were already untrusting. This will surely raise their ire. It is good that your wound is still present.", he remarked with a shake of his head, before heading downstairs to look for the barkeep or someone to call the constable.

behind the Red Boar

Dekmal (and Jocelyn):

The duo find that the caravan and their horses are gone with no sign of the drover or his son!

Merrick:

Walking into the restaurant-bar area, the cleric sees Muerec, the bartender, setting up chairs and sweeping. In the corner, an older man nursing an early morning meal and drink looks up at Merrick in stunned surprise ---!

"Of all the... " Dekmal mutters under his breath as he sees that the wagon and their horses are gone. That's so much more trouble than he wanted to face this morning, feeling as beat up as he does. He takes a quick look about the stable at either end to get a feel for which way the wagon and horses were taken if he can, before he heads in to tell the others so they can come tromp around and see for themselves (and spoil all of the tracks after he's already read them).

He steps back into the inn section and sees Gabriel with the limp body. "I'm guessing that's more not good news in your arms there... to go with our employer being gone and all our mounts with him. Where'd Merrick go?"

Name
Tracking
1d100 37

image.jpeg.804ca98e887eb4296df1832122bc6a22.jpeg Gabriel lays the body down quietly, "This woman attacked me in my sleep, wanting my soul." The northman looks around, checking that nobody is coming for them. " Lets check the Drovers room, to see if he is alive or dead."

"Already seen that he's not in there... wagon and all the horses are gone, left town from the looks of it too. But we should see if it was a peaceful exit or not."

Dekmal goes with Gabriel to search about the room, looking for signs that might give more to the story. All the while he's making the adjustments to tighten up his armor and get his gear from 'go get some breakfast' condition to 'deal with a problem' state.

Merrick's attention was on the barkeep; but he did catch the old man's expression and smiled.

"I see that you folk are surprised we survived your assassination attempt, or should I say your attempt at sacrificing us to your evil god.", he called out, turning to look at Muerec.

"You were quite convincing that it was us who brought the evil of civilized lands here, when all along you bathe in it.", he added.

"I assume your dealings with the Orcs means their visits here are not attacks; but something more akin to lovemaking.", he offered with a sneer he did not hide.

The Red Boar Inn

Merrick:

Muerec.png.18e0d16d641ddbbf13db94f8c466bc0b.png

Muerec stops what he's doing and gives the cleric a confused look, "You're mad. The only assassins here must be yourselves, or why, if you've been attacked, haven't you contacted the guard yet?" He set aside his broom, hurried to the door and called out, "GUARDS! SEND THE GUARDSMEN HERE QUICKLY!"

Sybrom.png.1d52d8e286bc0c3cd9e54b80ec9ee3c0.png

The old man at the table sipped his drink and begins laughing wildly - to himself!

Hall and Valeros

hank_3_face.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/fLaUvHH.pngCG, Ulfen Human, Thief [0 XP] | AC 5 HP 3

NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter [0 XP] | AC 3 HP 10

Hall and Val walk back into the tavern of last nights terrible wine. With their heads pounding they hope they can get their hands on some breakfast to chase away the pain. Upon seeing the ruckus between one of their companions, Merrick, and the bartender they are a bit surprised. It seems a bit early in the morning for trouble. They paid no attention to the old man laughing as they attributed it to the words being exchanged by their companion and the bartender. Looking to Val, Hall asks ...

"So what is going on here?" Val just shrugs his shoulders as it would seem the two longtime friends are in the dark as to what is really happening in this little out of the way village.

OoC: I am approaching this like Hall and Val have no idea what happened last night.

Character Sheet

Hall Thorormsson
CG, Ulfen Human, Thief (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 5 HP 3

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
12 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
09 WIS
16 DEX +1 reaction/att adj, -2 defense adj
10 CON
11 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
13 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
12 Petrification or Polymorph
14 Rod, Staff or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
16 Spells

Thief Abilities:
30% Pick Pockets
30% Open Locks
20% Find / Remove Traps
15% Move silently
10% Hide in Shadows
10% Hear Noises
85% Climbs Walls
--% Read Languages

Thieves' Cant
Backstabbing +4 hit from behind (surprised) x2 dmg (level 1-4), x3 (levels 5-8), x4 (levels 9-12), x5 (levels 13-16)

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Longsword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
Painting

Equipment:

Starting Gold 100gp -76gp

Daggers (2) - 4gp
Longsword -15gp
Studded Leather - 15gp
Hat -7sp, Cloak -5sp, Girdle -2gp, Belt -3sp, Belt pouches (2) -30sp, Boots -1gp

Backpack -2gp, Sack -16cp
Wineskin -15sp, Rations (1wk) -3gp
Thieve's Tools -30gp, Tinder Box -1gp

Current Gold 24gp, 8sp, 4 cp

+50gp (for sharing a backstory with another player [guitarist])

Valeros
NG, Chelaxian Human, Fighter (+10% XP) [0 XP]

AC 3 HP 10

Abilities:
17 STR +1 hit, +1 dmg
13 INT +3 languages (--,--,--)
13 WIS
11 DEX
13 CON 85% sys shock, 90% res
10 CHA 4 max henchmen

Saving Throws:
14 Paralysis, Poison or Death Magic
15 Petrification or Polymorph
16 Rod, Staff or Wand
17 Breath Weapon
17 Spells

Proficiencies:
Weapon [2] +1/4 levels
Dagger 1d4 sm / 1d3 l
Bastard sword 1d8 sm / 1d12 l 
Hammer 1d4+1 sm / 1d4 l
Longbow 1d6 sm / 1d6 l 

Non-Weapon [1]
?

Equipment:

Splint Mail armor
Large shield
Bastard sword
Daggers (2)
Hammer
Longbow (12)

Backpack
Wineskin, Rations
Oil, Torches, Rope, Tinderbox,
Boots, Belt, Girdle, Cloak, Hat, Pouches

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

Merrick did not flinch when the barkeep started his false testimony.

"Yes, I am sure your Watch is involved in your evil as well. Call them then; but know that it is you who will be the first to fall.", he countered, sneering but turning back to the old man.

"Speak your mind, old man. You were surprised we survived the night were you not?", he spoke sternly.

"Getting the guard? Good... I need to report a horse theft. Someone took my mount from the stables."

Dekmal adds on as he steps out to join alongside Gabriel, joining him after their search of the drover's room is complete.

The Red Boar Inn

Muerec.png.18e0d16d641ddbbf13db94f8c466bc0b.png

The barkeep walks back to his broom and points at the adventurers, "If you've killed her, you'll hang for it, rest assured. As I said last night, our people won't be terrorized by traveling murderers." Muerec then walks behind the bar still watching the party ...

Sybrom.png.1d52d8e286bc0c3cd9e54b80ec9ee3c0.png

The old man stares at Merrick and raises his head, "You're the impetuous one. We are only now meeting for the first time - and I find you offensive. But know this; the serpent has been roused and is coming for you. It will strike, coiling about you as you struggle in vain, and crush the very soul from you. Now -- only the Lion Queen can save you." He sniffed his plate of food then went back to his drink.

Merrick turned to the old man and studied him as he listened. It was not the first time he had heard such words. The priests in his temple during his training had implied the same thing. Oh, he was brave enough; but his tongue often ran faster than his mind. He had paid it no mind, as he was sure courage and forthrightness would be all he needed to serve. Perhaps he had been mistaken...

The Lion Queen. An alias he knew, belonging to the temple the others had went to.

"The Serpent against the Lion Queen eh?", he ventured, frowning to think he and the others were threatened for merely spending the night in the forsaken town. It perhaps irked him more than, if the old man was speaking sanely, that he may have to rely on another god.

"Jaidz teaches that courage and leadership are all that is needed to save this world and the people in it, old man.", he added; but even if his voice was bold. it was not as firm as bedrock.

"Gabriel, Dek, we should visit the others at the temple, to see how they fare.", he turned to the others and added.