Group-centric CharGen

Jedaii

1 hour ago, Ryfte said:

Actually... nope...

"In most cases, characters with Water Powers can create or generate their own water. If they must draw on outside sources of water to “fuel” their powers, the GM may allow a -¼ Limitation, Requires Nearby Source Of Water. For the purposes of this Limitation"

RAW, they could do the same thing in a desert, lol. That's in the general rules for water powers in the beginning of the section. *shrug*

Ah, the clarification around the -1/2 only works on water is that it's regular TK that is only effective with moving water.  It doesn't have a SFX of 'beams of water moving things around'. 

I guess that I was thinking of something a little different.  I had in mind something that would look like this:

watertk.png.6305734efbe3ea98f55dd86f5724af68.png

So it's not actually a Water Power in that regard.  If  you're talking about TK that is represented by shooting beams of water to push things around, then I'd agree, that's a water power special effect on TK and would create its own water when needed.

Hi all, I jumped in, since I just noticed that it was reopened. (I was almost all ready last weekend but then I lost hope.)

I know Hero reasonably well, so I can help anyone with questions.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:46 AM, Jedaii said:

No. I was hoping to see if anyone went for STR or PRE 100 😏

My current draft is at 65 STR and weighs as much as a pickup. I was trying to be good and limit base STR to 40 then turn denser-than-uranium to get the rest. I'd be happy to just sink some more points into STR... 🙂

It has been ages since I played Hero, though, and I've never really done bricks. Does anyone have a feel for what kinds of Con/Stun/etc. are needed to "feel like a brick"?

27 minutes ago, pesukarhu said:

Hi all, I jumped in, since I just noticed that it was reopened. (I was almost all ready last weekend but then I lost hope.)

I know Hero reasonably well, so I can help anyone with questions.

My current draft is at 65 STR and weighs as much as a pickup. I was trying to be good and limit base STR to 40 then turn denser-than-uranium to get the rest. I'd be happy to just sink some more points into STR... 🙂

It has been ages since I played Hero, though, and I've never really done bricks. Does anyone have a feel for what kinds of Con/Stun/etc. are needed to "feel like a brick"?

I'd take a look at the sheets awaiting review: if no one else is going for Hulk-like STR, I'm okay with it. 

figure out the approximate Damage Levels (I think its 80 active points), which is 16

Figure 4 points average (3.5, but 4 is better for a Brick) x 16 = 64 damage on a hit... adjust from there 🙂

Now, a 65 PD/ED Resistant defense would be all kinds of expensive (195 points before any modifiers) and you probably want at least one level of Hardened so you're not going to go for a 65 rPD/rED... that's why you have stun!  But if you go half that and about that much stun, you'll probably be aces, especially considering most attacks will be around 10 Damage Levels with some adder (auto-fire, Armor Piercing, AoE, whatever) then you'd likely only take 10 or so stun a hit, not bad and won't be crazy expensive.  You want a good amount of stun so that you can keep standing when some crazy villain has ego blast or AVLDs, unless you ramp up those defenses too. Power Defense is always nice.  It might seem like a waste of points UNTIL YOU NEED IT. 🙂 

Re: the brickiness, I'm currently at 25 PD/ED, 50 Stun, 20 REC. Maybe I should bump Stun up more, not sure.

A few questions:

1. I finally got Hero Designer, but I can't figure out how to export a character from it in a way that looks nice here. I keep getting the "Cost" column all scrunched up when I try to copy-paste from the HTML output. Any hints?

2. I'm trying to figure out a metal reshaping-and-transmuting power. I'm not 100% sure I need the "transmuting" part, but I think that's a major transform, improved result group (any shape / any metal) +1/4, only metal targets -1/2. (Let me know if you disagree.) What I'm stuck on is figuring out a "reversal" for the transform. For a pure "I've repaired the giant dent in this metal door", I'd think the reverse would be, well, it getting whacked again. But if I'm turning a shovel blade into copper wire, I don't know what would make sense.

3. How would I build a "create an I-beam and swing it" cone AoE attack. HA plus AoE? Something with my STR? I feel like there's an example somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look. Put STR in a multipower, so I have "regular STR" and "AoE STR", but that just seems silly.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, pesukarhu said:

How would I build a "create an I-beam and swing it" cone AoE attack. HA plus AoE? Something with my STR? I feel like there's an example somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look. Put STR in a multipower, so I have "regular STR" and "AoE STR", but that just seems silly.

So this isn't the most obvious part of building in champions, but you can build a Blast attack AoE Cone, and then just build it versus PD instead of ED.  Not sure if the applies knockback perpendicular to radius would be an actual advantage, just a note, so that you hit people and send them flying in the direction of your swing.  Maybe if you could make it a +1/4 then you could change which way you swing the I-beam so you can control knockback direction. further fiddling, that would be indirect: source point character, path of power can change with every use +1/2.  So you could basically model swinging the I-beam at any angle and directing knockback accordingly.  Also would let you hit from either side if they had partial cover from a barrier of some sort.

I finally got Hero Designer, but I can't figure out how to export a character from it in a way that looks nice here. I keep getting the "Cost" column all scrunched up when I try to copy-paste from the HTML output. Any hints?

There is some CSS included in the html at the very bottom that you need to be sure to capture when you copy/paste the html.  If you just go for the tables you miss it, as it's just inside the /body closing tag.

Heh, listen to coreal.  I don't know much about HTML except the most basic coding like <b>bolds</b> and the like.  My sheet is all scrunched up too... and I didn't even understand what coreal said about fixing it 🙂

Use AoE at +1/4 radius.  That's just 4 meters so it makes sense for your brute swinging a girder or a car or something.  Make it no range so that it has to be centered on you (which will save you points).  Add Indirect if you like, but you'll have to go for the +1/2 so that you can knock fools back in whatever direction you want as you swing the lamppost around.  Make it OAF  but fragile (the thing busts up when you smack something) but easily replaceable to help simulate 'finding' something with which to smash a fool.  Or forgo replaceable and fragile and just pretend you've always got something around to whack a mole.  And put it on your strength... you are paying for it anyway and AoE strength can be fun if someone tries to topple over a building and you hold it up when it should crumble under its own weight.

Anyway, those are some of my ideas.

Good discussion. Due to the perilous setting, I need to add a Social Complication for EVERYONE which highlights the superheroes' illegal crime-fighting:

Renegade Vigilante: Social; Very Frequently, Major; 20 CP

You can add or replace this to your Complication lists but the total must still be 75 CP.

Edited by Jedaii (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Jedaii said:

Renegade Vigilante: Social; Very Frequently, Major; 15 CP

Shouldn't Very Frequently / Major be 20 CP?

Re: the adding STR to me, it looks to me like the current 6E rule (from 6E2 99-101) that I could have a HA 2d (AoE Cone +1/4) and pump 50 STR into it and end up with a 10d AoE Cone (50 STR = 10 DC -> +8d using the table on 6E2 101, plus the 2d from the base HA to get 10d). It used to be harder in 5E, but I don't see that rule anywhere. So I'll assume I can go with that. (Thanks for the discussion coreal and Papa Bear!)

Any thoughts on what would be a reasonable "reverse a metal transmutation" effect? I might just go with "exposure to strong magnetic field" as a pseudo-science reversal.

Also, what's the current timeline? I have a current sheet draft up, and I'm still tweaking it, but if you're feeling like you're ready to do final sheet reviews, I can call what I have good enough.

I'm not requiring players to buy Smartphones unless they use the device for crime-fighting and I would vehemently warn you that bringing a phone into close proximity to the bad guys could go horribly wrong. But, do what you will. We have 3-4 sheet approved and I'm waiting for more sheets to review!