Journey to Phrygian Tower

Gambitt

You arrive at the guild hall and see the following request:

Journey to Phrygian Tower

Client: Apollo Library Research Commission

Description: Journey to the abandoned Phrygian Tower and retrieve rubbings of the sigils scrawled around the entrance. This is a journey with many challenges that will put all your skills to the test. 

Iron Difficulty. 3 - 4 member party recommended.
Additional Reward: Gain a favor from the Library of Apollo.

Scene: City of Alexius

Preparation for the journey starts in the city of Alexius. Details about the various legs of the journey are initially unknown as people don't usually travel in that direction. Lore or Rapport +3 to uncover the requirements of the first leg. SWS will reveal the second leg too. 

Edited by Gambitt (see edit history)

Aerith Tollbeg

High Concept: An apprentice mage in over his head
Trouble: Haunted by the "ghost" of his master
Aspect: Curious to a fault
Aspect: Outsider with more knowledge of book than world

Situational: ...

• [2] Mild Consequence
  • [4] Moderate Consequence
  • [6] Severe Consequence

Bronze Rank Climber: 2/7

(+4) Lore
(+3) Provoke, Will
(+2) Academics, Crafts, Shoot
(+1) Athletics, Investigate, Notice, Stealth   

Body: ❤️❤️❤️
Mind: 💙💙💙💙💙
Fate: 💛💛

Death Magic: You have mastered control over death and the dead. You can loose blasts of green necrotic energy with Shoot, weaken your enemies with Lore, and animate vessels with Provoke, starting at +3 difficulty. (Relentless Training; Casting Skill: Lore)

Transformation: You have mastered the secret art of transmutation. You can can transform yourself with Lore, and transform others with Provoke. This is creating an advantage and changing portions of the target is easier than its entirety. You can also transform objects - mending, weakening, or altering their shape. [Cost: 1 Refresh]

- Stunts -

Animator: When you animate minions, they start with one +1 skill and a 1pt stress. You can also exchange any free invokes received for both a +1 skill and 1pt stress. If the minion has multiple +1 skills, they can be combined to increase their powers. So, if you exchange two free invokes, the minion receives 2pt stress and one +2 skill or two +1 skills.

Brute-Force Arcana: When using a magical discipline to Overcome a situation, I can replace Any Skill with Lore by spending 1 Fate Point.

Remnants of The Mage Markov's Mind:  When contacting the echo spirit of my master, I gain a +2 to Investigate when Creating an Advantage to Find or Discover a Monster's Weakness.

aerithICONSMALL.png.46e43e3bac764c5451dae56a48d37fe0.pngAerith makes his way to the Apollo library with his backpack filled with some spare bones and the essentials for adventuring into unknown territory. He heads to the geography section to read up on the lands he'll travel through while waiting for the others, interested mostly in the local threats that would get in his way. While most would lose interest and slip while pouring through tome after tome for trivial information, this was Aerith's bread and butter. After all, it's how he learned the magic which practically defines him, along with his now dead master. The once blank parchment is now filled with notes on all the information he could find while waiting for the others to arrive, and he hopes it will prove useful.

Edited by Voxelgon (see edit history)
Name
Lore to research
[0,+,+,+] +4 = 7
fate(4) 0,1,1,1

Aerith finds an abundance of information about the journey ahead. 
The first leg of the journey would take the group through an expansive forest;

Macawich Woodlands

People don't normally head out this way anymore as the newer established trade routes tend to go around the forest. As a result, the routes have fallen to a state of disarray and the party can get easily lost without a guide to navigate the Twisting Paths. Furthermore, there are many reports of Circling Wolves in the area, which further deters traders from passing through

Afterwards there are two possible routes to pass through to reach the Phrygian Tundra:

Trackless Steppes

The Steppes require great determination as you'll be making a Forced March through barren plains, only to be rewarded with Deep Canyons that require a considerable amount of climbing

OR

Blighted Marshlands

Considered the quicker yet more dangerous route. Anyone passing through the area is advised to bring a cautious guide or risk getting caught in Quicksand or worse, alerting a swamp troll. In a bid to make the area safer, it's said that the guild will reward anyone who defeats this monster.

Everyone has one action to prepare for the journey in whatever way they wish before setting out from the City of Alexius.

Aerith Tollbeg

• [2] Mild Consequence
  • [6] Severe Consequence

(+4) Lore
(+3) Provoke, Will

Death Magic: You have mastered control over death and the dead. You can loose blasts of green necrotic energy with Shoot, weaken your enemies with Lore, and animate vessels with Provoke, starting at +3 difficulty. (Relentless Training; Casting Skill: Lore)

Transformation: You have mastered the secret art of transmutation. You can can transform yourself with Lore, and transform others with Provoke. This is creating an advantage and changing portions of the target is easier than its entirety. You can also transform objects - mending, weakening, or altering their shape. [Cost: 1 Refresh]

- Stunts -

Animator: When you animate minions, they start with one +1 skill and a 1pt stress. You can also exchange any free invokes received for both a +1 skill and 1pt stress. If the minion has multiple +1 skills, they can be combined to increase their powers. So, if you exchange two free invokes, the minion receives 2pt stress and one +2 skill or two +1 skills.

Brute-Force Arcana: When using a magical discipline to Overcome a situation, I can replace Any Skill with Lore by spending 1 Fate Point.

Remnants of The Mage Markov's Mind:  When contacting the echo spirit of my master, I gain a +2 to Investigate when Creating an Advantage to Find or Discover a Monster's Weakness.

Active Aspects?: Malformed Shigami [???], Notes on the path ahead [2x free invoke]

aerithICONSMALL.png.46e43e3bac764c5451dae56a48d37fe0.pngAerith returns the last of his books and thinks things over. "While the Steppes sound like the safe route, he doesn't have anywhere near the stamina needed to cross. He's dealt with his fair share of swamp before, though, and it's far easier to work around quicksands or a sleeping troll than scaling deep canyons without the magical disciplines needed to help me up those walls. Master died before I learned to teleport, and I can't exactly control the wings fleshwarp could put on me that well... The swamp needs backup, and someone that can sniff out where trolls are, as well as walk ahead to spot quicksand. Oh, I know!"

W
ith the castle walls now behind him, aerith goes outside and throws down some assorted bones before finishing it off with a canine skull and begins reanimating. "Rise lupine wonder from the pale beyond, gain your footing again to serve your master. We have monsters to hunt and you shall be the hound to do so."

The bones begin to rise and reanimate into the shape of the one, the 'only', shigami. Aerith notices that something isn't right. Shigami's leg is still on the ground and he's acting... stiffer... than usual, even by the standards of piecemeal bones vaguely shaped into the form of a dog with magic many churches would certainly hate to witness.

"You alright buddy?"

Edited by Voxelgon
added other aspect. (see edit history)
Name
Provoke to animage Shigami
[+,-,0,0] +3 = 3
fate(3) 1,-1,0,0

spacer.png

Vahn

Ranked: Bronze ( 0 / 7 )

Concept: Pugilistic Pilgrim of Aku, the Spirit of Mischief

Trouble: Reckless & Loyal Beyond Compare

Aspect: Righteous Youth Seeking Glory

Aspect: No Mercy; But No Cruelty

(+4) Athletics

(+3) Empathy, Fight

(+2) Notice, Investigate, Stealth

(+1) Rapport, Provoke, Physique, Will

Discipline: BlinkYou have mastered the art of teleportation. You can teleport to a location that you know well or can see (Athletics). Destinations that are farther away and/or not as well known to the caster call for higher difficulties. You can also teleport other beings and objects to your location or a location near you (Provoke/Empathy) and open portals (Empathy).

Discipline: SightYou have mastered control over what you see and perceive. You can uncover hidden secrets (Investigate) and discern illusions from reality (Empathy). You can also look or listen in on places, people, or objects that you know well, no matter the distance (Empathy). These spells should increase in difficulty due to a lack of familiarity with the target and greater distances.

Stunt: Never BrokenYou gain a -8 physical consequence which recovers in the same way a -2 consequence does. (Fate System Toolkit, p.95)

Stunt: Phantom StanceYou are adept at bobbing and weaving and phasing through attacks in such a manner that puts you in a more advantageous position to counterattack.

When you succeed in a defensive Athletics roll using this technique, you gain +1 on your next attack against the opponent or tried to hit you. If you succeed with style, gain +2.

Original Stunt:

The Drunkard’s Stagger. You sway and stagger on your feet, evading enemy blows seemingly by chance. When you succeed in a defensive Athletics roll using this technique, you gain +1 on your next attack against the opponent who tried to hit you. If you succeed with style, gain +2. (Fate System Toolkit, p.150)

Stunt: StuntStunt

Body: ( 4 / 4 )

Mind: ( 4 / 4 )

Fate: ( 2 / 2 )

[2] Mild

[4] Moderate

[6] Severe

[8] Physical

"Aerith Tollbeg?;.." a youthful-yet-weathered fellow in a tattered garb waved as he approached, his eyes a strange shade of gold were transfixed upon the bone-bound hound conjured in a state of near-shambles. "Vahn," declared he as he thumbed at himself with a fist that looked like it had been struck one-too many times.

His sight hadn't parted with the summoned beast.

"I joined the Guild earlier in the day, was told of an opportunity if I was quick; not late, am I?;.." given Aerith's connection to spirits, the apprentice might spot, out of the corner of his sight, the occasional glimpse of an animal spirit lingering about Vahn's person.

Edited by Kaymithe (see edit history)

After having assembled outside the city gates and summoning Shigami, the party proceeded into the Macawich Woodlands which was not too far east from Alexia.

At first the way forward was rather clear, but all too suddenly different paths seemed to crisscross in a confusing manner as people had made ways to different destinations over the years without much regard for other travelers.

Twisting Paths:
(One) Notice +3

Edited by Fiffin (see edit history)

spacer.png

Vahn

(+4) Athletics

(+3) Empathy, Fight

Discipline: BlinkYou have mastered the art of teleportation. You can teleport to a location that you know well or can see (Athletics). Destinations that are farther away and/or not as well known to the caster call for higher difficulties. You can also teleport other beings and objects to your location or a location near you (Provoke/Empathy) and open portals (Empathy).

Discipline: SightYou have mastered control over what you see and perceive. You can uncover hidden secrets (Investigate) and discern illusions from reality (Empathy). You can also look or listen in on places, people, or objects that you know well, no matter the distance (Empathy). These spells should increase in difficulty due to a lack of familiarity with the target and greater distances.

Stunt: Never BrokenYou gain a -8 physical consequence which recovers in the same way a -2 consequence does. (Fate System Toolkit, p.95)

Stunt: Phantom StanceYou are adept at bobbing and weaving and phasing through attacks in such a manner that puts you in a more advantageous position to counterattack.

When you succeed in a defensive Athletics roll using this technique, you gain +1 on your next attack against the opponent or tried to hit you. If you succeed with style, gain +2.

Original Stunt:

The Drunkard’s Stagger. You sway and stagger on your feet, evading enemy blows seemingly by chance. When you succeed in a defensive Athletics roll using this technique, you gain +1 on your next attack against the opponent who tried to hit you. If you succeed with style, gain +2. (Fate System Toolkit, p.150)

[2] Mild

[4] Moderate

[6] Severe

[8] Physical

"Let us halt for a moment," Vahn bade the others to wait as he looked about the forest and its winding paths. "I might be able to elucidate the way forward if given a moment to meditate.." with hands pressed against one another, Vahn shut his eyes. In that instant, a small bell jingled as something quick left from behind his shadow.

Naught a minute had passed when Vahn spoke again.

"Well, I have seen some things of interests. While it does not guarantee success, it should help us avoid veering too far-off the beaten path.."

OOC

Going to Create an Advantage using Empathy and the Sight Discipline.

I have created the 'A Glimpse of the Way Forward' aspect that should last throughout the forest area.

Passing the Free Invocation to whoever makes the Notice Roll!

Name
DC(2) Create Advantage, Empathy
[0,-,+,0] +3 = 3
fate(3) 0,-1,1,0

Roshini.png

Roshini

⌬Roshini Prabhakara⌬
Base Refresh: 3
Adjusted Refresh: 1

High Concept: Bloodthirsty Priestess of Athena
Trouble: Small Sect dying out
Free Aspect: Lady Mercy won't be home tonight
Free Aspect: Eyes like an owl

Stats:

Great (+4) | {Fight}
Good (+3) | {Physique}, {Notice}
Fair (+2) | {Will}, {Athletics}, {Crafts}
Average (+1) | {Lore}, {Stealth}, {Rapport}, {Contacts}

Stress: P:[][][][][][]M:[][][][]

Consequences:[2][4][6]

Stunts/Gear

Saint of the Tower: Gain +2 to Fight when attacking a creature that is larger in scale. 

Saint of Fear:  Once per Act, instead of gaining a boost I can auto inflict the minor consequence 'Fear of Roshini' when I perform a success with style attack with fight against an enemy. 

Saint of War: (Requires Life Discipline). Once per Arc, I can ignore a minor physical consequence. 

Saint of Martyrs: Gain a +2 to Physique overcome actions when made to withstand physical pain in order to achieve my goal. 

Roshini had been looking around in slight wonder, not having traveled outside the city since she was merely a child. As she saw the paths she went into business mode, crouched down, and started scanning each path with well-trained eyes, trying to find the best way forward to the tower. As she scanned each path she mapped out where it went in her head, making observations about who had left each trail so she could find the best one for the party

Name
Overcoming with Notice
[+,0,-,0] +3 = 3
fate(3) 1,0,-1,0

Aerith Tollbeg

• [2] Mild Consequence
  • [6] Severe Consequence

(+4) Lore
(+3) Provoke, Will

- Stunts -

Active Aspects?: Almost-Malformed Shigami [Fight +2], Notes on the path ahead [2x free invoke]

aerithICONSMALL.png.46e43e3bac764c5451dae56a48d37fe0.pngAerith turns to the others showing his notes. "I put in a couple hours at the library we're doing this for, they had a few tomes on the wilderness out here and I was able to condense it all into this list of notes. It's not everything we'd need, but its about as much as I could fit without running out of time." He pulls his book out to show everyone his Notes on the path ahead. He notices the fox but doesn't say much for now. His wizard eyes see spirits all the time, after all he is "haunted" by one, and he learned the hard way to leave most of them alone unless you have business to do, or you know for a fact they're friendly.

Edited by Voxelgon
friendo helped the roll succeed (see edit history)

With Roshini guiding and Vahn effectively eliminating the dud pathways that may have led your group astray, you progress smoothly.
You come across a small clearing by the path, an extinguished fire pit in the centre a telltale sign that others had chosen to camp through the night here. Looking up at the orange tinted sky, sunset is clearly approaching.

spacer.png

Vahn

(+4) Athletics

(+3) Empathy, Fight

Original Stunt:

[2] Mild

[4] Moderate

[6] Severe

[8] Physical

"Convenient.." Vahn eyed the remains of what was once a roaring fire and what ever second-thoughts he might have had just evaporated with a shrug. "Have you all worked together before?" he looked to the one who had guided them, a warrior by appearance, and with an experienced glance, he knew she was not to be trifled with.

"I had hoped to visit the tower; that is why I joined the Guild.." he crossed both arms behind his head as he searched the neighboring groves with naked sight for kindle to burn "I was told that you have to wait a few days before they set you off on Guild business. But I suppose my experience as a pilgrim provides a sort of proof of competence, at least when it comes to traveling long distances," Vahn leaned back and peered skyward, gold irides drank in the light of the setting sun.

"I can take first watch, if there aren't any preferences."

Aerith Tollbeg

• [2] Mild Consequence
  • [6] Severe Consequence

(+4) Lore
(+3) Provoke, Will

- Stunts -

Active Aspects?: Almost-Malformed Shigami [Fight +2], Notes on the path ahead [2x free invoke]

aerithICONSMALL.png.46e43e3bac764c5451dae56a48d37fe0.png"I'm down with that. Shigami can help you keep watch too, he doesn't sleep." Aerith bends down and pets the doggy, putting a paw back on that fell off before the help. "Whatever you did earlier to help me put him together, thank you." He then gets up and looks over at vahn, the echo spirit of his master projecting out from behind him. "I joined hoping to enter a tower too, the tower of athena. Normally I'd just be at home studying waiting for my master to come back from another adventure, but his last one he didn't come back. Not in one piece anyway..." He looks over to the spirit, floating silently and projecting itself in the shape of a mighty sage. Anyone who knows a bit about the tower's great heroes would recognize the ghost as Markov, a powerful necromancer who likely died near the top of the tower, or at least near the top of the parts that people went in to. "I hope you all aren't put off by the dead, these two won't hurt you, I promise."

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vahn

(+4) Athletics

(+3) Empathy, Fight

Original Stunt:

[2] Mild

[4] Moderate

[6] Severe

[8] Physical

Vahn appeared somewhat surprised at the spiritual manifestation behind Aerith, but was quick to tame his reaction "My sincerest condolences to you," he bowed, hands pressed against one-another in a show of reverence and respect.

"I have no qualms with your magicks, so long as they do not cause ill to the living, nor the spirits you deal with.." the fame of Markov was lost on Vahn, at least for the time being. He did admire the Master's appearance, it had the bearing of a grand individual, as wise as he was strong.

"I have a measure of skill in the arts of teleportation and farsight," Vahn held up a thumb.

Night wore on as Vahn kept first watch. When the moon slipped out from behind the clouds, loud howls could be heard from around the camp. No sooner had the howling subsided, than the wolves leapt into the clearing and dashed towards each person at the camp.
Circling Wolves:
(Everyone Overcome) Fight +2
to fight the wolves off.

Edited by Gambitt (see edit history)

spacer.png

Vahn

(+4) Athletics

(+3) Empathy, Fight

Original Stunt:

[2] Mild

[4] Moderate

[6] Severe

[8] Physical

"So much for keeping watch.." Vahn scowled as he rolled to his feet and brought both fists to bear; or in this case, to wolf. It lunged at him, as if affronted by the pun. Alas, a beast is too predictable in its motions. Vahn defeated his foe in the blink of an eye; the wolf loosed a cowardly yelp as it retreated through its pack, its sudden surrender was cause for distraction amidst its ilk.

OOC

Passing the Distracted by Defeat Boost over to any one who needs it!; first come, first serve!

Name
DC(2) Overcome, Fight
[+,0,+,0] +3 = 5
fate(3) 1,0,1,0