Chapter 1: Breathing is a Luxury

yxanthymir

76111935dbbf90722599d37aeb6efe9c.jpg.3bd5994daf804b6fd64e0346672eb55d.jpg

Strength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 11 (+1) | Intellect: 11 (+1) | Will: 10 (+0) | Perception: 12 (+2)
Defense: 12 | Health: 15/15 | Healing Rate: 5 | Speed: 10 | Power: 0 | Insanity: 0 | Corruption: 0
Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Professions: Charlatan, Informant
Shadowsight, Subterfuge, Steal Identity,
Immune, Iron Vulnerability

"Pleased to meet you, Mayor. My name is Wynne," Whisper answers quietly, using the name she would have been known by as a child. She steps closer as Gunhilda engages with him, explaining why they had pressed forward through the crowd. But when she looks down on the figure, she frowns and shakes her head. "I do not think so... That is a relief."

Stepping back, the young blonde moves out of the way and considers the situation that Arlys reveals what has been happening in the town recently. While she is no healer, Whisper understands how the sudden and mortal sickness is unusual. There must be something the deceased and the currently infected had in common - be it person or place of contact.

"Who else has become infected?" she follows Summer's concern. "And were they close with each other? Likely to have spread between them?"

Mechanics

spacer.pngI believe I don't have that kind of information. I heard it from Father Mayhew earlier today. Arlys says looking to the church with a quick glance.

spacer.pngFather Mayhew was feeling illl, and sequestered himself in his chambers to study the disease that took Sarah's life. Rose says to the strangers when she hears the name of Father Mayhew in the conversation. He left me in charge of the the church in his absence.

Rose is one of acolytes at the front of the gate. She doesn't appear to be more than fifteen years.

spacer.pngStrength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 10 (+0) | Intellect: 12 (+2) | Will: 12 (+2) | Perception: 1(+3 | Defense: 10 | Health: 13/13 | Healing Rate: 4 | Speed: 12 | Power: 1

Professions: Artist (Music, Painter), Scholar (Magic, Medicine, War, Occult), Hunter, Courtier | Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Shadowsight, Spell Defense, Bewitching Presence, Immune (Damage from Disease, Diseased, and Charmed condition). Sense Magic (2/2)
Fire Tradition: Control Flame (2/2), Flame Missile (2/2), Fire Blast (1/1), Sword of Fire (1/1),
Forbidden Tradition: Harm (2/2), Face Rip (2/2), Hateful Defecation (1/1)
Shadow Tradition: Darkling's Raiment (2/2), Steal Shadow (2/2)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

"I don't mind helping out" she's obviously in a helpful mood today "Plus, human illnesses don't really affect me at all so that helps."

Mechanics

76111935dbbf90722599d37aeb6efe9c.jpg.3bd5994daf804b6fd64e0346672eb55d.jpg

Strength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 11 (+1) | Intellect: 11 (+1) | Will: 10 (+0) | Perception: 12 (+2)
Defense: 12 | Health: 15/15 | Healing Rate: 5 | Speed: 10 | Power: 0 | Insanity: 0 | Corruption: 0
Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Professions: Charlatan, Informant
Shadowsight, Subterfuge, Steal Identity,
Immune, Iron Vulnerability

"Oh dear," Whisper says with a frown, looking to the young one left in charge of the Father's responsibilities. "I don't know anything of medicine but we could see if he has made any discoveries." Especially with Summer being able to enter and speak with Mayhew with little to fear, they could learn how they might best help. Of course, Whisper could also do this but it was not particularly an obvious trait of this human-baseline shape she maintained. It would give her away.

"Is there anything else we can do, in the meantime? Remove sources of illness or help cleanse places that have become infected?" She doesn't mean to volunteer all of them, of course, but she could mask her immunity well enough with whatever protection the townspeople were using and assist in that way.

Mechanics

spacer.png

I am glad there are good people that are willing to help. In these times of need. He stops a little thinking, and passes some moments in deep thought. Really there is not much we can do. Maybe you can try to locate other people with the same disease and tell them to remain inside their homes to avoid the spreading of this fatal and mysterious disease while the competent authorities arrive from High Watch to help.

spacer.png

Father Mayhew left some items for such occasion. He instructed me to share them with anyone willing to help. She looks momentarily at the Church and the other acolyte, Benjamin, unsure if she was right in sharing those items with the strangers. She gives a brief bite to her lower lip. Later when you return with the results of your search, you can have them.

spacer.pngStrength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 10 (+0) | Intellect: 12 (+2) | Will: 12 (+2) | Perception: 1(+3 | Defense: 10 | Health: 13/13 | Healing Rate: 4 | Speed: 12 | Power: 1

Professions: Artist (Music, Painter), Scholar (Magic, Medicine, War, Occult), Hunter, Courtier | Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Shadowsight, Spell Defense, Bewitching Presence, Immune (Damage from Disease, Diseased, and Charmed condition). Sense Magic (2/2)
Fire Tradition: Control Flame (2/2), Flame Missile (2/2), Fire Blast (1/1), Sword of Fire (1/1),

"Interesting. I used to live in this town, and i remember several of the people here, perhaps i could investigate their current uh.. conditions while we look."

Mechanics

Gunhilda.jpg.93b97721145fe23c28e635f0adcb2d25.jpg"If you really think you're immune, perhaps you could take a look at Sarah and talk to the priest", Gunhilda suggests to Summer. "Might not be your typical disease though...."

"If there's nothing else, I suppose we could look for more victims and warn folks", she says with a shrug, thinking it might be a good way to gather information as well.

"I know one or two as well", the dwarf priestess says with a sigh. This isn't really the way she wanted to catch up with Baldir....

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

"Oh i can certainly take a look, i don't fear getting whatever they are carrying."

Mechanics

Breathing is a Luxury

Summer approaches the entrance of the church, moving a few steps inside the gate, surrounding the church building and the nearby cemetery. As she gets closer to the wooden casket, she perceives that Sarah's body is very thin and pale, assuming an unhealthy ashen coloration. At this distance, she cannot discern more details.

Arlys approaches her from behind and grabs her shoulder abruptly, turning her to face him with more force than he should have used. She almost loses her balance and falls to the ground. Recognizing his error, he releases her grab almost instantly. Please, don't go any further. We don't know the nature of this disease, you might get infected. He says to her almost begging, with clearly a deep concern for her health.

Gwan Wu and Leon look at her with different emotions. The first barely pays attention to her welfare, feeling tired, and wishing he could get as fast as possible to a bed. The other looks preoccupied with his good eye and shakes his head, trying to warn her.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

There is the flash of something dangerous in Summer's golden eyes as she is spun, her hand comes up, but whatever she had been about to do is abandoned mid-motion and the smile comes back, wide and friendly. "Oh dear, i appreciate your concern but i'm usually just fine in these sorts of situations. It could be something of the occult but, again.. I'm usually fine."

Mechanics

Breathing is a Luxury

Summer, despite the concern of Morton, approaches even more. Slowly getting closer and closer to Sarah's Body. Even if she knew her while alive, now she can barely recognize the body in front of her. Sarah's corpse is completely emaciated, the flesh drawn tight, the corners of the mouth torn, and eyes sunk deep into the skull. The smell stale and indicating some decay.

She doesn't wait much time there contemplating the deceased and enter the church, looking for Father Mayhew. Rose chooses a longer path and follows her inside the church, avoiding the corpse. They will cover the casket soon and bury as soon as they can in an open grave at the church's cemetery, now that the hasty funeral was over.

Summer reaches the door before Father Mayhew's chambers, and knocks on the door. The answer doesn't come fast, and when it comes it does not pleases her. Father Mayhew says he was busy and send her away without even opening the door. Roses looks at the scene, with concern in her face. She urges Summer away from the church, before she can disturb Father Mayhew even more.

While this happens Gunhilda returns to a building they passed to get at the church. She goes to Nail and Spice, but not alone since Leon decides to tag along to avoid stay pestered by the sand. The Nail and Spice is sturdy wooden building that stands just south of the well found at the center of town. The Nail and Spice is Esker’s general store and stocks goods needed for daily life in the village and for those venturing into the Desolation. The back of the building works as a blacksmith. Currently it appears empty, with the doors locked and some weapons in bad situation dangling with the wind. It appears the blacksmith didn't return to work yet. At the front of the house, the door is unlocked, giving access to a small general store. The space between the door and the counter minuscule, with just a couple of wooden chairs to seat. Behind the counter, numerous racks with basic supplies, armor, ammunition, and weapons.

Tobias, a handsome man with dark hair and eyes, is behind the counter and greets the couple. Hello, visitors. What can I do for you?

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

Summer seems oblivious, if anything she simply seems even more curious when she is denied and - while ignoring Rose - knocks on the door again, but this time she does it with her hand on the handle. She likely wasn't going to be denied a second time.

Mechanics

Gunhilda.jpg.93b97721145fe23c28e635f0adcb2d25.jpg"Hello, Tobias", Gunhilda says, "I guess you don't remember me, Gunhilda Firebraid. It has been a while and I looked a bit different then, dressed in fancier dresses and the like. And your business was always with Baldir anyway. Is he about? The smithy seemed a little neglected...." That thought gave her a bit of pause, but she recovers and asks, "How are you? We've heard news of a sickness going around the down. You must hear a lot from folks in to buy supplies, have you heard anything of this? Are you well?"