Chapter 1: Breathing is a Luxury

yxanthymir

spacer.png

Leon Bosh (Warrior) | Str 12 Ag 11 Int 10 Wil 10 | Per 10 Def 15 | Health 22/22 | Healing Rate 5 | Insanity 0 | TalentsCatch Your Breath You can use an action or a triggered action on your turn to heal damage equal to your healing rate. Once you use this talent, you cannot use it again until after you complete a rest.

Weapon Training When attacking with a weapon, you make the attack roll with 1 boon.

Combat Prowess Your attacks with weapons deal 1d6 extra damage. 

Forceful Strike When the total of your attack roll is 20 or higher and exceeds the target number by at least 5, the attack deals 1d6 extra damage.

Leon follows his new companions to the church, trying to protect his face from the dust. He already had enough of the stuff for a lifetime. Another minute in the haze seems a real martyrdom.

Name
Strength Check
1d20+2 16

Breathing is a Luxury

As they approach the throng of people in front of the church, they perceive a somber and sad mood. Some people crying, some yelling and some with an air of shock in the their faces.

As Guang Wu tries to push his way over the crowd. One of people he tried to push turns and complains. Hey, stranger! Wait for your turn. He says while looking him from the head to the feet, measuring him and trying to recognize him from his memory. Are you related to the deceased?

Up ahead, at the gate of the church, Arlys Morton, Esker's self-appointed mayor, helped by two of the temples acolytes try to prevent the crowd to enter at the church grounds. Inside the church, through the open doors, it is possible to see a wooden casket standing at the middle of the nave.

Please, good people of Esker. I am asking you to, please, pay you respects from a safe distance. Arlys says loud and with passion distilled at his words. He catches his breath and coughs a little dust before continuing. Please, if possible, return to the safety of your homes, and away from this weather. I am assured you that as soon as the competent authorities verify the situation, I will explain it to everybody. For now, return to your homes.

Guang Wu feels fatigued.

Conditions

Fatigued: A fatigued creature makes all attack rolls and challenge rolls with 1 bane.

Edited by yxanthymir (see edit history)

spacer.pngStrength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 10 (+0) | Intellect: 12 (+2) | Will: 12 (+2) | Perception: 1(+3 | Defense: 10 | Health: 13/13 | Healing Rate: 4 | Speed: 12 | Power: 1

Professions: Artist (Music, Painter), Scholar (Magic, Medicine, War, Occult), Hunter, Courtier | Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Shadowsight, Spell Defense, Bewitching Presence, Immune (Damage from Disease, Diseased, and Charmed condition). Sense Magic (2/2)
Fire Tradition: Control Flame (2/2), Flame Missile (2/2), Fire Blast (1/1), Sword of Fire (1/1),
Forbidden Tradition: Harm (2/2), Face Rip (2/2), Hateful Defecation (1/1)
Shadow Tradition: Darkling's Raiment (2/2), Steal Shadow (2/2)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

"Me! Oh me! Here!" she jumps up and down, waving her hand over her head above the crowd as she keeps pushing to get closer "I just - excuse me - I just want to know because i'm - just.. just coming through here if you could just step out of the way - i used to live here awhile ago and i'm just back so i want to know whats going on.. is someone dead?"

Mechanics

spacer.pngA woman from the crowd dressed in black clothes turns to answer the elf question. Her name was Gabriella, known as Esker's historian, a person widely known in the community as a source of old stories.

Oh, dear! One of us was discovered dead this morning. None other than Sarah, a well-liked seamstress who was known to be kind to anyone. She sobs a a little in a low tone, and uses a piece of cloth to wipe a tear forming at the corner of her eye. She was so young and beautiful. Only in her thirties, fit and healthy.

She looks ahead again to casket inside the church for some moments.

Did you know her? She asks abruptly and without waiting for an answer, she continues. I heard from a friend of mine that she complained from a fever only two days ago. It cannot be that alone, can be? Just a fever? She was so healthy...

And she starts to sob again.

spacer.pngStrength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 10 (+0) | Intellect: 12 (+2) | Will: 12 (+2) | Perception: 1(+3 | Defense: 10 | Health: 13/13 | Healing Rate: 4 | Speed: 12 | Power: 1

Professions: Artist (Music, Painter), Scholar (Magic, Medicine, War, Occult), Hunter, Courtier | Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Shadowsight, Spell Defense, Bewitching Presence, Immune (Damage from Disease, Diseased, and Charmed condition). Sense Magic (2/2)
Fire Tradition: Control Flame (2/2), Flame Missile (2/2), Fire Blast (1/1), Sword of Fire (1/1),

"Oh no I have not been here for some time." She looks around like she would spot someone "I don't recognize anyone but thirty-odd years will do that. I did so enjoy my time here last time though.."

Mechanics

76111935dbbf90722599d37aeb6efe9c.jpg.3bd5994daf804b6fd64e0346672eb55d.jpg

Strength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 11 (+1) | Intellect: 11 (+1) | Will: 10 (+0) | Perception: 12 (+2)
Defense: 12 | Health: 15/15 | Healing Rate: 5 | Speed: 10 | Power: 0 | Insanity: 0 | Corruption: 0
Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Professions: Charlatan, Informant
Shadowsight, Subterfuge, Steal Identity,
Immune, Iron Vulnerability

Whisper is partway through the shifting, shouldering crowd following in Summer's wake when she overhears the elderly woman give report of what is going on. The sound of that name freezes her in her tracks, eyes widened. She goes up on tip-toe to see over heads but she just doesn't have the height to get a clear view... and shifting herself taller right here could be... problematic.

"S-Sarah?" she rasps, voice fighting against the dull roar of the throng. It had been some time since she had seen or heard from her mother, since she was pulled into the clutches of the Inquisition. They probably arranged that on purpose. But had she come back here? To the old hurt and memories of when she had...

There was no way that this Sarah was her mother, right? The demand to fight or flight rises like a tingle along her back and suddenly she uses a cloak-concealed elbow to lead herself onward and forward, to catch up with the elven lady and see more of what they were talking about. "You said a seamstress?" she asks. "Did she have a family?" Perhaps suspicious or nosy-sounding questions for outsiders to show up asking, immediately.

Whisper doesn't know Summer from any of the rest of these strangers... though the old woman does seem vaguely familiar from childhood memory... but she speaks lowly toward her alone. "My mother was named Sarah... though I didn't think she had returned here..."

Mechanics

Summer turns to Whisper "Oh really? You are familiar then? I've met several people from the town, i spent a long time here just recently.. Or i suppose i spent a long time here awhile ago until recently.." she trails off a little as she thinks.. yes, that made sense.

She sighs a little as she thinks back "I had so much fun. Do you know Tobias? He had such fun pursuits. And Ella, an apprentice wizard, so we shared some secrets.. oh and Grabriella, of course" its not entirely clear if she is sure anyone is paying attention to her, or if she is now talking to herself "I wonder about Flick.. He was such am amusement. I wonder if Gwilherm is still in charge of the Two Stings.."

Mechanics

spacer.pngGabriella tries to answer the young woman questions between small and controlled sobs. Yes, dear. Sarah was a seamstress, and she did have a family. She stops to look at the young blonde woman, clearly believing it was impossible to be some sort of connection between her and the deceased. But I don't believe she ever mentioned a daughter to me.

She excuses herself and starts to walk away to her home when both women start to talk among themselves and reminisce the past. At the same time, others start to do the same and soon it starts to become a less crowded place. The weather clearly playing an important factor here. Some stragglers stay away clustered in small groups looking and talking from a safe distance, leaving at the gate of the church only Arlys Morton and the two temple acolytes.

Arlys Morton, a man with grizzled hair and jovial facial features, dressed in a formal attire was shaking the hand of a last man present. The two temple acolytes, dressed accordingly to the occupation, were also there looking at the throng slowly go away. Both of them young, a girl and a boy. The girl appears to be controlled and calm, scanning the last people present with intelligent eyes, and the boy, quiet and depressed, looking at the ground, avoiding eye contact at all cost.

Gunhilda.jpg.93b97721145fe23c28e635f0adcb2d25.jpg"Should we pay our respects?", Gunhilda asks. "You could find out who it is one way or another...", she suggests to Whisper. "Surely they would allow a possible family member in."

"It's been a few years, but I do remember Flick. I'm afraid I didn't know Sarah, I was closest with Bardin and Tobias...."

If Whisper wishes, Gunhilda will accompany her to speak with those watching the door.

"I do remember Tobias.. we had some fun from time to time..."

Mechanics

76111935dbbf90722599d37aeb6efe9c.jpg.3bd5994daf804b6fd64e0346672eb55d.jpg

Strength: 9 (-1) | Agility: 11 (+1) | Intellect: 11 (+1) | Will: 10 (+0) | Perception: 12 (+2)
Defense: 12 | Health: 15/15 | Healing Rate: 5 | Speed: 10 | Power: 0 | Insanity: 0 | Corruption: 0
Languages: Common Tongue, High Archaic, Elvish, Dark Speech, Dwarfish
Professions: Charlatan, Informant
Shadowsight, Subterfuge, Steal Identity,
Immune, Iron Vulnerability

"Oh..." Whisper's simple answer more or less vanishes in the sound of the crowd, though she does not turn or retreat. While it truly seemed unlikely, there was that wriggling doubt in the back of her mind. She seems to be lost in the 'math' of whether it made sense for this person to be her mother when Gunhilda comes alongside and offers to accompany.

"I suppose it can't hurt to find out if someone else is going on here, as well," she agrees, gesturing through the thick fabric of her cloak for the dwarven woman to lead the way. There isn't much to Whisper, so shouldering through is not her forte, not to mention the fear of anyone's iron tools or knickknacks. She gestures to Summer and the others to try to follow as well, since they're making a path anyways.

"Edward was her hus... my... my father," she adds, leaning down faintly to Gunhilda's level to make sure her wispy voice reaches her. "I haven't seen him since the day he left us, so who knows if he's still here. Surely he'd be at her side..." Straightening again, she scans the crowd for familiar faces.

Mechanics

spacer.pngAs they approach the people at the gate of the church, Arlys Morton and the two acolytes, they are met with Arlys' eyes scanning them. The self-appointed mayor of Esker tries to know everyone he came into contact, but he strains his memory for known faces between the newcomers and doesn't recognize them.

Hello, I am Arlys Morton! Esker's Mayor. He says effusively, like you are an old friend, and with pride. If you had come for Sarah's funeral, I am afraid it already ended. He stops a little to gather his thoughts and lower his voice in conspiratorial tones. But obviously you can still pay your respects. I only ask that you do from a safe distance, we are still investigating the cause of her sudden death.

Gunhilda.jpg.93b97721145fe23c28e635f0adcb2d25.jpgGunhilda nods at Whisper's indication that she should take the lead and forces a path through any hangers on with her bulky body until they stand before the mayor and the acolytes.

After the mayor has had his say, she replies, "My friend here thinks she might be related to the deceased. Sarah wouldn't have happened to have a husband named...." She turns to Whisper for confirmation, "Edward, was it?"

Given the seeming fear of disease, Gunhilda asks, "Garbriella mentioned a fever. Has anyone else in town come down ill?"

spacer.pngAs matter of fact, yes, other people in town got ill. Initially just a couple, with Sarah as one of the first afflicted. They became seriously ill, almost overnight. Since then, more people have shown the same symptoms. Fevers, coughing, and weird dreams. He says answering the question. Sarah has been the first and only victim so far.

I already sent word to High Watch. For help in dealing with the problem, but it will take some days from them to arrive. He says trying to show he is doing something to help with the current situation. Until then, the best we can do is avoid getting the same disease.

Too bad this is happening exactly when we are missing most of Esker's acolytes. He completes looking to the two acolytes present at the gate.

"Oh no!" sometimes its hard to tell if her dramatic reactions are sincere or not. They always seem to be, but then her followup is sometimes.. lacking. And there is very little in the way of hints either way.

"I visited many years ago, I would hate for any of my old friends to have come down with something!"

Mechanics