Freedom City Champions #1!

Jedaii

Freedom City

Grigori:

Screenshot2023-06-12141220.png.475405d7ced4905ba734704ab1cbd7af.png

Jameson sips from her champagne glass, "As I'm sure you know dear Thomas, many of the greatest bands of all time have been a - what's the word? Formation? Yeah that's the word - a formation of several separate exceptional talents into one cohesive group. And let's not forget the addition of well-payed songwriters, eh? Like when Eric Clapton left the Bluebreakers to form Cream. Or dare I mention the great Phil Collins?" She smiled at Thomas and slid her chair closer to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with him, "What do you think about Myra coming with you to form a group you lead?" Ma'at looked towards the stage as she took another sip ...

Ironworks:

spacer.png

Bottletop stepped back and looked at Jake as if the latter had grabbed his butt, "You dragged me out here for a frickin phone? You --" Pulling off a backpack and digging through it, Bottletop produced two smartphones, "Usually it's $100 a phone but since you put that loudmouth Vinny in his place Ican'tstandthatguyforgetaboutit I'll do you the bogo special. Good?" Jake realized he was getting a literal 2-for-1 deal ...

Vendetta:

The call goes straight to voicemail. But Seamus does notice a missed message from an unknown number with a local area code ...

If he checks the messageIt's a call from the office of Majestic Industries requesting the opportunity to set-up an interview between Seamus and CEO Hieronymus King! The receptionist named Tracy expresses the corporation's avid interest in NuTech's potential and leaves a response number ...

Preserver:

Screenshot2023-05-24163259.png.56425b1f72f2d4542e4bbd11c2895d2b.png

Monique chats with Paul about the lack of funding for the center and rising expenses and how much she appreciated him talking to the boys earlier. She also goes into the negative influence Manny's having and how Michael is countering it by trying to serve as a positive 'mentor' - "Michael's such a character! He doesn't act his age, you know? Very ... mature - Everybody's going to truly miss him -"

"...r-really...?" The question was enough to cut through some of the grey from Thomas' thoughts. He blinked, hoping he didn't sound too stupid -- or eager. "I mean, I think it'd be great! Myra's a phenom! I just don't know what she'd want, y'know?"

Thomas knew Myra would be interested in Ma'at's offer -- but what he didn't want to do was speak for her. And he didn't know if she'd want to ditch Crossbones or not. The last thing he wanted to do was cause interpersonal drama in someone else's band. And poaching in the music business could easily sour things down the line for later.

Edited by RedRajah (see edit history)

Jake laughs. "Yeah, sorry, Bottletop, I just wanna be careful. Odd jobs, you know?" He forks over the cash. "And Vinny's not a bad guy. I mean, sure he's a handful, but he doesn't mean anything by it."

"Now, just help me get these things set up, and I'll owe you one..."

Jake makes sure he gets one of the phones activated, linked to a pre-paid debit card, hopefully not easily traced to himself, and makes sure he knows how to do it with the other one, just in case. Then he writes down the number on a couple of cards, shoves them in his pocket, and double-checks that the phone is off.

Freedom City

Vendetta:

Driven by his deep desire to avenge his loved ones, Seamus has an unexpected breakthrough that cuts his calculated design and engineering time in half - the suit's enhancements would be complete in no more than two days! During his short breaks though Seamus couldn't escape wondering about DeAndre, ASTRO Labs and now Majestic Industries ...

Grigori:

Thomas and Ma'at talk at length about GEG's plan to launch a new group that would include Myra and him, as well as personal chat about how they both even ended up drawn to music. After Crossbones finishes their set, Jameson excuses herself to congratulate Myra and her band-mates - but she Thomas not to leave just yet ...

JamesonMa'at has been flirting more and more as the night went on. If you're okay with it, this evening would end with a 'romantic encounter' between she and Thomas. Nothing explicit - I'd just move to the following morning.

If not that's fine.

Ironworks:

Having completed his first 'clandestine' act without the costume, Jake knew he'd taken another big step towards establishing himself a true hero of Freedom City! But he couldn't ignore the importance of finding a trustworthy connection somehow: the other superheroes? Commissioner Kane? The lawyer Faye Nelson? Who? Jake's real cell rang - it was his brother: it was their Poker night with the boys and he wanted to know if it was his turn to bring food or beers ...?

Preserver:

With everything checking out at the center, Paul had his night ahead of him: he could hang out at the center helping with the boys and dinner, cruise into Freedom City's lucrative evening delivery period or maybe find something else to do with himself ...

image.jpeg.35e5e0fce9fbd622061dfc0ecf17f2f4.jpegSeamus McDougal

CEO and Lead Designer; NuTech Inc. (Secretly Vendetta)

Seamus wasn't sure what he'd do about this second offer. First off, he wasn't sure what, if anything, his CFO, DeAndre Phelps had committed NuTech to. This was a decision that he would need to make, but he knew better than to try to make a decision like that without the advice of Phelps and his keen insight into the business dealings of NuTech, which quite honestly, allowed him the freedom to carry out the Vendetta Project. He'd simply have to speak with DeAndre about it, and soon.

Secondly, Seamus hadn't heard back from his friend. When last they talked, he'd told DeAndre to take a vacation and it might very well be likely that DeAndre was doing just that... heck, he might even be on the plane at that very moment going somewhere wonderful. Seamus was glad for that thought, but until he knew for sure, DeAndre's mental stress from being taken hostage the other night weighed heavily on Seamus' mind.

Seamus made another call to DeAndre ready to ask about the new message and new company and new offer and to forward the message he'd gotten just in case they hadn't contacted Phelps first. Speed Dial 1 =Beep= Ringing...

Freedom City around midnight (Day One)

Vendetta:

"Good evening from the Caymans - or is it morning there already?" DeAndre yawns, "Seamus, Le Soleil d'Or is ... unbelievable. Just watching the nightime beaches from my suite. Trying to relax - what's up?"

Jake knew he had to get over the hump and try reaching out to someone. For whatever reason, he'd liked Commissioner Kane. But that came with all sorts of risks. He was sure that she had a ton of security and certainly no easy-to-find phone number. If he could just find a way to talk to her for a few minutes like a real person, without being in front of what felt like the whole department pointing guns. He needed to go through the news reports, see if there are any other likely people.

Maybe his brother knew someone. People came through the diner all the time, maybe he'd seen them. Now that he had a phone maybe he should just call that lawyer, she'd probably be easier to find. Text her? Or is that more of a trace? Ugh.

Oh, right, he needed to call him back. "Hey, Mike! Sure, I'm in for poker. I was thinking I'd bring beer, but I can do food too if no one else has ideas. Just let me know. See ya."

Freedom City, around 8 p.m. (Day One)

Ironworks:

Mike answers, "Yeah just get pizza - not that crap from Joey's down the block. Go to Mama Maria's around the way - the guys like her food. I don't wanna wake up tomorrow with fifteen cold pizzas in my living room, ya know? See ya when you get here, bro."

"Ha! I half expected you to let it go to voicemail!" Seamus says. For a man with such plans, he'd not really thought through what he'd tell DeAndre if he actually answered the phone, so he decided to go with what he'd planned to leave in the message. "Did you also get a call from Majestic Industries? Their CEO, Hieronymus King wants to meet with me about opportunities with NuTech. You're on vacation, so I don't want you to deal with this but I do need to know what we've committed to with ASTRO Labs. Have you signed any contracts yet?

"And, by the way, you sound much better. How are you doing down there?" Seamus asks more playfully.

The excuse Thomas gave for (gently) turning Ma'at's flirting down was that he was still dealing with Jordan's death.

The reasons were a LOT more complicated.

Gadriel being in his head/body was a major one, no doubt. Having an angel being an unwilling voyeur along for the ride was enough to dampen anyone's libido. And his libido wasn't the greatest even before Gadriel's arrival. Yes, Ma'at was very attractive, no question about that...

...but Thomas was going to be in a working, professional relationship with her -- and he had heard enough horror stories about what happens when business mixed with pleasure goes sour in the music industry. He couldn't afford that risk, especially just starting out.

• 2 weeks later...

Freedom City, night

Vendetta:

DeAndre sighs and responds, "I think we should really see what ASTRO Labs has to offer. Seems like the best package for NuTech's future - plus, Winnie -- Winona MacLeod - is a real gem of a person. We've talked Seamus and ... I mean you can do what you want. Regarding Majestic ... yeah they contacted me: they offered me an "incentive" to convince you to take their package - but they wouldn't tell me what it was. They wanted to meet with you personally. Maybe it's better than ASTRO's but ... just doesn't feel the same, especially since bribes are in their arsenal. Again, you're the boss - I just advise. But yeah I'm loving it here. I might need a raise just to come back, hah! Whew - this wine is kicking in I think Seamus. I'm gonna lay out - maybe on the beach - it's so beautiful. I'm going to relax - you should too Seamus - you work so hard. And, when you get a chance ... call Winona. She doesn't just like NuTech Seamus - she likes you. G'night."

Jake figured maybe he'd try calling that lawyer tomorrow. It was getting late, and all. OK, he knew he was just putting it off, but there's no need to rush into this. And calling the police commissioner was a bit too much.

But for now, he'd just stop by Mama Maria's, grab a few pies, and have a night with the guys.

Seamus says his good-bye to his friend to let him soak in more rays and let that wine do its thing. The sudden genius smiles. DeAndre certainly seemed happy and relaxed. Good.

After a little while (partly because of thinking it through, partly because he didn't want to pester DeAndre too much), Seamus texts DeAndre.

*I've thought it through. Going to follow your Advice. I believe we make too good a team to rock the boat and ASTRO Labs seems interested in keeping us together. I hope I'm right about that.*

Then another text, *You're the CFO, give yourself a raise if you need it. I'm sure the boss won't mind :) But do it soon so its in place before ASTRO takes over the bills :p*

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Freedom City, night

Grigori:

The next morning Jameson and Thomas work out the details of his GEG contract! The corp would fund equipment, studio time, marketing, and various other expenses including personnel (management, attorneys, engineers, ect.) and day-to-day expenses relate to recording. Blackchurch would of course receive a cut of music sales on top of an initial $500K signing bonus! Naturally GEG held exclusive rights to the music and while management would handle most of the business transactions Thomas would be allowed open input on creative control. And before the ink was dry on the paperwork Jameson was on a plane for LA but not before revealing that GEG has leased a building in the Fens on Broadway and 46th where a studio will be constructed within weeks ...

Preserver:

After leaving the center Paul spends a busy evening delivering dinner in and around the city having one of his better nights tips-wise ...

Ironworks:

A rare straight flush opened the night for Jake as he raked in a table-full of cash only to lose most of it back to the boys as they laughed, argued and razzed each other over who was eating too much of the pizza ...

Vendetta:

After getting DeAndre's final text of the evening - "I'll sleep on it" - Seamus finds another task to busy himself before finally getting some rest ...

• 3 weeks later...

Seamus thinks for a moment... *she likes me? What did DeAndre mean by that?* He wonders. He did not know Wiinona. He knew of her and that's mostly what he thought she knew him... through whatever interviews he'd done and a very brief conversation. There was a 'boyish' kind of excitement that welled up in Seamus. A girl 'liked' him. Mostly he'd tried to avoid romantic entanglements, mainly for two reasons; 1) he was rich now and it was hard to tell if someone liked him for his money or for who he was (and that wasn't just a 'romantic' issue) and 2) he needed to focus on the Vendetta Project. He could not afford to get side-tracked if he was going to accomplish all that he hoped to accomplish with the plan.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)