Freedom City Champions #1!

Jedaii

Riverside Warehouse, 12:40 p.m.

Vendetta:

Hovering high above the warehouse floor the armored hero discharges another blast that strikes the gunman taking him down as his weapon goes tumbling through the air! The three gunmen in the area looking for the hero see the attack, "THERE IT IS!!" They unleash a barrage of gunfire in Vendetta's direction -- blasting pinpoint holes in the aluminum roofing and missing the hero completely!

Grigori:

The angelic hero blasts the two gunmen - one drops to the ground stunned while the other flies back unconscious into the crates behind him sending them tumbling and bursting open revealing several briefcase-sized black cases that skid across the warehouse floor! The two remaining gunmen who were shooting at the hero run away (#7 sprints for the south exit towards Preserver and #6 runs out the secondary north door into the parking lot where he's nabbed by FCPD)!

Ironworks:

Stumbling backwards from Grigori's attack on his allies the gunman is ensnared by Ironwork's tangling metal, "What the --?!?!?"

Screenshot2023-08-10183434.png.1bf805fe9405b84088527b6d6194b785.png

Edited by Jedaii (see edit history)

image.jpeg.87af75c611fcc10755c6bab97d04517a.jpegVendetta 

Seamus McDougal, Secret ID,  Character Sheet

Still very pleased with himself and his work on the cloaking field. It was probably only a matter of time before he'd see how well his power suit's armor worked against bullets, and truth be told, while he was pretty confident that it would turn away a couple rounds, Seamus did not relish the idea of finding out. For one thing, he knew the armor could repel fairly large caliber bullets from tests he'd done. But there was always a lucky bullet and he didn't know what it would actually feel like getting hit. Sure, it probably wouldn't penetrate the armor, but he knew that getting hit while wearing a Kevlar vest could still knock you on your rump and hurt a heck of a lot. Until Seamus actually took a round, he wouldn't actually know.

Seamus decided to try something new. He'd not practiced anything like this before and he certainly wasn't an actor. However, the gunmen had tried to shoot him now a couple times... so what the heck, why not?

"FOOLS!" He shouts, amplifying his voice. "YOU CAN'T HARM ME! LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS NOW AND MAYBE, MAYBE I'LL SHOW YOU MERCY!" Seamus floats forward and picks out his next target, blasting again. He hits the target, but all his voice 'did' was be loud. He knows immediately that he wasn't scary in any way. He'd have to work on that... maybe a voice modulated setting to sound extra scary like something from a movie...

OOC

END: 69 -11 = 58 total.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Attack against gunman 7
3d6 6,2,3
Reduced damage (6d6)
6d6 4,5,3,3,1,1
Presence Attack (2 1/2d6)
2d6+1d3 3,2,1

Ironworksheadshot.png.358d70d87edd477a3335d025f051b5f9.pngJake could hear the battlesuit guy shouting somewhere nearby, not sure if anyone'll stop to listen at this point. I guess it's worth a shot. In any case, he wasn't about to mess with what's been working.

He runs towards the closest gunman, weaving around the forklift, pushing it aside if he needs to, and tries to wrap him up with metal binds as well.

OOCHalf-move, entangle. I think that's 6 more END. He's spent 17 since he came in through the office; I'm not sure where he was before that. Probably a few down due to moving, so he's at 33-a few letf.

Name
Entangle DCV hit (OCV 8)
19-3d6 5,5,5
Entangle body
success(5d6, 2, 0, no, yes) 5,1,1,1,6

There were still enemies in this warehouse. Still frightened dogs who were ordered to kill. And Gadriel knew fear. In times of old, enemies of the Celestial Host cried out his name in terror, such was his wrath in battle.

This, however, was no such battle. Just bottom-feeding parasites looking to hurt the innocent.

Like a great raptor of the skies or a gargoyle guarding a cathedral, the Grigori glided and perched on the higher stack of crates, then unleashed another bolt towards one of the gunman.

OOCLanding on the 10' stack of crates and firing at Gunman 10

Name
Bolt of Wrath (Gunman 10) 10-
15; 16
3d6;5d6 [6,3,6]; [6,3,6,4,1,5,3,3]

Riverside Warehouse, 12:41 p.m.

Everyone:

Vendetta's command seems to have impact as the gunmen stop shooting - then his energy blast strikes another fleeing crook which slams him into the nearby forklift and he falls to the ground unconscious!

Ironwork's third target nearly evades the hero's attack with his coiling bands of metal only entangling the gunman's legs and he drops to the ground! Rolling over the semi-wrapped gunman unleashes a burst of gunfire in Ironwork's direction - but the bullets miss the hero blasting holes in the wall behind him!

Grigori's mystic blast just misses the targeted gunman who shifts to the side avoiding the blast that creates a large hole in the wall behind him!

One of the last remaining gunmen tosses his weapon away putting his hands in the air, "HEY! I SURRENDER, MAN!! DON'T SHOOT!!"

Hearing this, the other two gunmen also drop their weapons and put their hands up in surrender as well!

Screenshot2023-08-17125801.png.cc9bbb2cdb8f833e2fa5811653ae3b14.png

Vendetta floats forward and lands between the remaining gunmen and shut down his cloaking field. "Smart men. Yes, this time I will show you mercy... this time." Seamus didn't so much think that the gunmen were surrendering because of his ridiculous call for it but rather that the number of heroes in the warehouse were quickly outnumbering the number of gunmen. When he hears the sounds coming from the office, he reactivates his cloaking field and disappears from view.

END: 69 -13 (-2 more for flight and -3 for Cloaking) = 53 END remaining.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

We should just blast 'em...send them to hell. Bastards will just get a slap on the damn wrist in this city! Thomas hissed, though there was a quiver to his tone that Gadriel could pick up. Was he trying to convince the angel or himself?

We will not be executioners, Thomas. Not for this. I will not taint your hands with their blood -- do not lower yourself to their level! And now, Gadriel sounded a touch unsure. Were these gunmen allied with the criminals from last night? Or, worse, was this another gang of scum eager to raid on their own? Plug one leak and then another, but the deluge still comes...

"Where is your leader? Who is telling you to kill?!" The angel growled, catching the odd sound coming from the office. The armored sentinel was gone again. Perhaps he was investigating the noise...

Edited by RedRajah (see edit history)
Name
Perception 12-
3d6 2,6,3

Ironworksheadshot.png.358d70d87edd477a3335d025f051b5f9.pngWell, if everyone is down, maybe it's time to get out of here... Wait, what was that? There was some something moving behind the door right by him. He wasn't about to let more of these guys get away.

Ironworks heads to the office door and opens it, calling out as he does, "Hey, come on out. If you surrender, no one has to get hurt."

OOCCLs on DCV, in case it matters. (They're just HTH, not ranged.)

I'm going to roll a presence attack, just in case this counts as one.

Edited by pesukarhu (see edit history)
Name
Presence attack (maybe?)
5d6 5,5,3,5,5

Riverside Warehouse, 12:42 p.m.

Everyone:

Screenshot2023-08-18092422.png.40f024a88c936d9ab6ec918b4c4a40c4.png

As the hero(es) enter an older man in a suit and tie turns while quickly closing the laptop computer on the table in front of him, "Who sent you? What do you want? Do you even know who runs this place?"

At the same time a large group of FCPD officers begin entering the warehouse, weapons drawn, shouting for the gunmen to surrender! After the main group of officers enter FCPD Police Commissioner Barbara Kane also walks in looking around and directing officers ...!

BK.png.d9ce6bfafa2c3f2a7a3dd9c49fedda09.png

Whatever was going to happen next, Seamus wanted no part of it. Helping rank and file police officers make it back to their loved ones was one thing - getting mixed up with City PD Brass was another thing entirely. That was a stage of his plan much further into the future. He was already messing with his plan too much for his liking as it was. Seamus kept the Vendetta battlesuit in cloak mode and moved silently away from the police commissioner. He'd watch, for now, and keep his distance, and hope he didn't have to intervene any further than he'd already had.

End69 -13 = 53 END still remaining, no change.

Ironworksheadshot.png.358d70d87edd477a3335d025f051b5f9.pngWho the heck was this guy?

Jake figured he should head out before the cops started asking him questions, they could probably handle this guy. But maybe he had a minute or so first.

"These guys shooting was all the invitation I needed. I want that to stop, and I want my city back."

"Whose place is this, anyway?"

Riverside Warehouse, 12:42 p.m.

Heroes in the office:

Screenshot2023-08-18092422.png.40f024a88c936d9ab6ec918b4c4a40c4.png

The man scoffs at Ironworks, "Your city? Haha! You think because you have power that you are in control - but you are gravely mistaken. Whoever you are, you've crossed a dangerous line - and the true owner of Freedom City will make you regret it." He draws a pack of cigarettes from a suit pocket along with a lighter and igniting it, takes a long drag then exhales slowly while staring at the hero(es) with a leery smile ...

spacer.png

FCPD officers pour across the warehouse handcuffing surrendered gunmen and hauling the unconscious or entangled ones out to waiting vehicles! Seeing Ironworks and Grigori several officers aim their weapons at them, "GET YOUR HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!" The officers seem somewhat unsure of the situation and begin calling in the heroes' presence on their radios!

BK.png.d9ce6bfafa2c3f2a7a3dd9c49fedda09.png

Commissioner Kane walks into the area and seeing the heroes -- brings her handgun down! She looks at the man in the office, "Leoni Pisa. Should've known I'd find trash in this dump."

Pisa smiles and nods, "Commissioner Kane. Always a pleasure."

Kane responds, "Still smoking - and still slumming for Tonifanni -- or is this your store?"

Pisa shrugs, "I was just chatting with my new friends here about rights and wrongs. I'm pretty certain I have the right to -" and Pisa gestures 'zipping his lips shut' with a smile as he takes another drag ...

Kane gestures to her officers, "Get him outta here." An officer 'cuffs Pisa and walks him out ...

Then the Commissioner looks at the heroes curiously, "Consider yourself detained - not that it matters. I'm sure you could've vanished by now, if you wanted to. So, I'll go through it since you're new in town: in accordance with the Moore Act, any and all vigilante activism in Freedom City is explicitly against the law AND anyone violating this act is subject to arrest AND prosecution to the full extent of the law." She scans the office and looking up sees small cameras - she gestures to an officer, "Tell CSI I want this entire site dissected like a dead frog, understand?" The officer nods and exits the office leaving Kane alone with the hero(es) ...

... she walks over to Pisa's closed laptop and taps it with a fingernail, then turns to the hero(es), "Millions in military-grade weapons and experimental drugs are trafficked in Freedom daily. We've been looking for this place for weeks. That fiasco last night turned up the heat on our investigation, which led us here. My guess is the sound of chaos led you here - like last night, right? You risked your lives for those people, these cops -- why?"

bare-knuckle.webp.86bcd2bcbb38e50c765cbe3bce4c7ec0.webpPaul Petrovski

Well that was an ignominious entrance, all ready to jump in and help save the cops and take out gunmen, he managed to make his rushed leap into the warehouse and hit his forehead on the raised tine of a forklift. Left bruised and incoherent at the doorway he gets to stand up and peer in as all heck breaks loose. Including the potential arrest of heroes he'd seen the night before. Seems they'd done quite a number on the gunmen without any help from him.

Fudge... he still has his mask on. Maybe he can make a slow exit and just walk away. With the rush in, maybe there aren't still cops watching the back. Maybe the copters aren't watching the back exit either. Easy does it....

Now that was a question Seamus wanted to hear some answers to. 'Why?'  Slowly moving away, because even with his cloaking field that deadened sound and rendered him invisible, Seamus was still careful. He didn't want to test how serious the cloaking field was if, say, he accidentally smashed into something and knocked it over to the ground. But the police commissioner's question to the other 'heroes' piqued his interest. Maybe, just maybe, one of them, or if he was lucky, all of them, would answer the question and he could begin to compile some information on each of them. Probably wouldn't be able to work up a profile on them yet, but it would be a start. This was information he needed to know so that he could begin factoring their presence in Freedom City into his Vendetta Project.

Seamus stopped and listened carefully to what, if anything, was said in reply.

End

Ironworksheadshot.png.358d70d87edd477a3335d025f051b5f9.pngJake's pretty sure he has lingered here way too long. He did not want to get talking with the commissioner, and yet here he was.

He raises his hands and backs away from the door of the office, drifting as much as he can towards the lounge door he came in through.

In response to the commissioner, he says, "Sorry, ma'am. Yeah, I saw the gunfight on the news and figured that maybe I could help keep more people from getting hurt. I didn't start anything, just tried to help out. I didn't hurt anyone, just tied a few guys up."

He pauses, weighing whether he should continue. Probably not, but, eh, he somehow couldn't let that slide.

"And I'm not new to town. I grew up here, been here all my life. I know people who've had their homes and shops shot up. Two guys I knew from school joined the cops, and one of em's already dead."

"The other I think's out in the suburbs now, I think, I kinda lost track." He shakes his head slightly. "Doesn't matter."

"Anyway, the cops've been risking their lives for me and my family for years now. I figure I can risk myself, or risk gettin' in trouble, to pay that back. Sorry if that makes things more complicated, but I'm tryin' hard here to stay on the right side of the line. Not startin' anything, just helping when I can."

With that, he breaks for the door to the lounge, running for the stairs up to the roof.

OOCIf he is pursued or has any trouble, he'll wall off the door or staircase behind him.