Freedom City Champions #1!

Jedaii

bare-knuckle.webp.86bcd2bcbb38e50c765cbe3bce4c7ec0.webpPaul Petrovski

There they are... just blazing away into the cop car and towards all the innocent people.  Any more wasted time means more people getting shot, so no more wasted time.  The thoughts race through Paul's mind as he cuts out from behind the edge of the building and closes in on the closest of the thugs to him.

And with that a moderately built man wearing a black full face mask rushes out from one corner of a nearby building right at one of the armed thugs, with just a little shift in direction every couple of steps so that he's not a completely predictable target in the little bit of time it takes him to close the distance.

"No more of this!" he barks out at them as he rushes to bowl into that thug, twist and throw him to the ground with the force of his charge.

Mechanics

Paul is performing a half-move run: 8", to close the gap on thug3, then performing a Martial Throw on him. 

Paul's combat status as a result of the maneuver: OCV 10, DCV 11

Potential Damage: 9d6 normal (30str + 15"/5 Velocity add)

Potential Status Effect: Thug3 becomes Prone

Other: Paul's Combat Sense goes into effect (15- roll for each phase to be effective)

Name
Combat Sense (15-)
3d6 2,5,5
Attack - Martial Throw (OCV 10)
3d6 3,3,6
Attack - Potential Damage
9d6 1,6,5,2,1,4,6,6,1

Jake, well, Ironworks now, was getting ready to jump in when battlesuit-with-a-bullhorn comes in and then this other guy runs around the corner and just whales on one of the thugs. A cautious person would wait and see what happens, since this is a lot of moving parts. But time is lives, and Ironworks isn't the cautious type.

Ironworks shifts his body to steel and leaps down from the rooftop directly at the thug that Preserver didn't go for, landing in front of him with a resounding thud and grabbing at him. "Like he said, time to stop!"

MechanicsI'm guessing Preserver went for Thug3, so Ironworks is going for Thug4.
CSV on +2 OCV, +1 DCV.
Grab is OCV 7: 3d6
Not doing any squeezing damage or immediate reflexive throw.

Edited by pesukarhu (see edit history)
Name
Grab (attack, OCV 7-2+2=7)
3d6 3,3,2

Gadriel could feel Thomas' irritation bubble in their shared mind about this new armored vigilante calling out the thugs.  How they should let him handle things and how he seemed to know what he was doing. You just doing the 'divine wrath' schtick is just gonna throw gas on the fire!

Enough, Thomas -- they have not yet lain down their weapons. And this knight may need our aid.

Yeah? Ten to one odds, this guy doesn't want us in his way!  Just don't do the flashy-thingy, alright?  The LAST thing you want is gunmen literally firing blind...

A soft snort answered Thomas.  Still, his concerns were valid.  These guns were dangerous enough already -- even if these marauders seemed to be more interested in causing terror and chaos than directly drawing blood.  Which might be worse.

"Listen to yon sentinel -- surrender or be judged!"

And the massive feathered wings of the Grigori unfurled to their full length as if to shield those innocents still in the club.

Name
PRE attack 13- (4d6 "dmg")
10; 15
3d6;4d6 [3,5,2]; [3,5,2,4,4,2,5]

Downtown Freedom City, 8:17 p.m.

Vendetta:

The gunman looks at the armored hero while aiming his weapon in the same direction, "Man, who you 'spoze ta be?!? Imma -" 

Grigori:

Just as the gunman seems ready to shoot at the armored hero, the thug sees the angelic hero and freezes, eyes going wide!

Ironworks:

The gunman is easily grabbed and held as he drops his weapon but still struggles to escape in vain! "Wut tha - lemme go, man!"

Preserver: 

The gunman's head 'thuds' against the ground and he's knocked unconscious!

Lamplighter:

Several new challengers arrive to disable at least two of the three gunmen! 

Lamplighter looks between the two thugs nearby. They don't seem to have noticed him yet; maybe a burst of gas to incapacitate them. or at least get their attention? And then--

No, one's down. And another. And--now that's an elaborate costume. Lamplighter blinks at the sudden arrival of several people on the scene, then shrugs to himself. Lifting up his Lamplighter's Pole, he sends it crashing down on the head of the thug right in front of him, who seems also distracted by the elaborately-costumed person... that is a costume, right?

OOCTaking a 1/2 phase Attack Action on Thug 2, uses 3 End.

Name
Attack
3d6 5,4,2
Potential Damage (Normal)
8d6 3,5,4,1,2,6,4,1

Downtown Freedom City, 8:17 p.m

Everyone:

In less than six seconds, the crazed gunmen were incapacitated: two knocked unconscious and a third immobilized by Ironworks! At the center of everything, the five heroes looked at each other for the first time! So the city did have heroes! Then - cheering and applause from the stunned crowds who watched the entire showdown from a block away! Some walked towards the heroes with their smartphones at the ready, snapping pics and recording the incredible scene! From a distance, the sounds of approaching police sirens grew closer! There's a loud creaking noise as the driver's door of the bullet-ridden, smoking FCPD cruiser opened and an older officer clutching a bulletproof vest around his head rolled out the driver's seat onto the street with a soft "THUD!" Police Sergeant Roy Jackson looked up wide-eyed at the heroes while breathing heavily -- then he smiled and started laughing! 

Some of the restaurant guests began slowly moving outside to the sidewalk when the driver's door of the crashed SUV swings open and a fourth thug jumps out, grabbing hold of a male civilian! The thug produced a handgun and jammed the muzzle against his victim's head shouting, "LOOK MAN! I JUST WANT OUTTA HERE! I'M JUS' GONNA WALK AWAY, 'AIGHT?!? DON'T TRY NUTHIN STUPID OR YA MAN HERE IS DEAD!" The thug walks sideways away from the restaurant slowly dragging his terrified victim along the way ---! Nearby citizens gasped and murmured at the scene while continuing to take pics and video!

Vendetta

You know the cop (Sgt. Jackson) AND the gunman's victim - it's Phelps!

Edited by Jedaii (see edit history)

image.jpeg.87af75c611fcc10755c6bab97d04517a.jpegVendetta 

Seamus McDougal, Secret ID,  Character Sheet

Seamus' heart leapt in his chest. *DeAndre!* He wanted to cry out but knew he needed to keep his cool.  This was not the kind of heroics or theatrics that he had 'signed up for'.  DeAndre was never supposed to be involved.  This random, senseless violence... That's what the Vendetta Project was to solve (eventually) but this was not something Seamus had trained for, had prepared for.  He needed a way to protect innocent bystanders.  His mind was racing to create schematics to solve that problem, but no matter how fast he could come up with something, it would do no good in the right here, right now!  And DeAndre's life suddenly hung in the balance.

"Put the gun down." Seamus says, his voice amplified and modulated through the armor.  "There are a hundred people here all bearing witness to your actions.  If you shoot that man, you'll never go free.  The trial will be laughably one-sided against you." He says. "Show mercy now and mercy can be shown to you."

Seamus is pretty panicked right about now.  Not taking any action, just hoping the thug will listen to reason.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Jake wasn't sure what to make of this. Two of the bad guys down, this one in hand, but he had no idea what to do about the guy with the hostage. I mean, he could try to make the gun go away, but what if that guy got a shot off first? Well, it certainly won't help to have more people talk him down at once, and Jake needed his hands free. At least the cop in the car seemed to be OK.

Ironworks carries the thug over to the cop car. "Got something for ya."

He then tries to bind the thug he was carrying in metal strips and drop him in front of the police officer.

OOCHalf-move carrying the thug over to the cop car. STR is currently 55, so this is not a problem.

Then Entangle on the thug. Ironworks should be at full OCV (7), while the thug is at 1/2 DCV, whatever that is.

Total END use is 6, 1 (for half move) + 5 (entangle).

The "drop him" might technically be a free action at the beginning of his next phase, since he's not letting go until after the entangle. Not sure.

Name
Entangle attack roll (7 OCV vs 1/2 DCV)
3d6 6,3,1
Entangle body roll
5d6 2,3,1,3,2

Downtown Freedom City, 8:18 p.m.

Everyone:

Moving slowly with his hostage the gunman makes it to an alleyway only a few meters from the restaurant, then pushes his captive down as he turns and flees into the dark alley!

OOC

PCs can pursue/try to catch the gunman if you like (he's moving at a normal non-combat running rate, but he's also armed).

Screenshot2023-05-01173718.png.0e91142f84b8ee63751627048de0981f.png

The officer stands and takes the gunman - now entangled in metal strips - into custody. He walks the crook to the cruiser and places him into the backseat, slamming the door! Looking around towards the flashing lights and sirens growing closer, Officer Jackson nods to Ironworks, "Thanks. Really. I thought I was a goner for sure." He looks at all the heroes, "After all this time .... I thought maybe you folks were done with this city. Glad to see I was wrong. Now --" he walked over to the crashed SUV "-- this was supposed to be a routine traffic stop for reckless driving!" The officer looked closely at the tinted rear liftgate window, then went for the liftgate handle and the large door swung open -- as several hi-tech assault rifles fall out onto the sidewalk! The vehicle's rear storage area contained a large open black container that held another of the fancy weapons!

Screenshot2023-05-01175149.png.12a1f0478294d546c3940e0cecc96f81.png

There was also a large black duffle bag that was clearly stuffed with wrapped stacks of $100 bills!

spacer.png

spacer.png

A metal briefcase was tucked on the side of a couple bags of groceries -- strawberry-sundae-flavor ice cream, some frozen steaks, chips, beers and other items! Officer Jackson stepped back staring at the SUV cargo, let out a long sigh and frowned ....

The civilian had been released -- but the gunman was still free.

For now.

Surprisingly, there was no protest from Thomas in their shared mind when the wings of the angel snapped with a mighty flap, sending the angelic entity to the air to follow after the criminal above the alleyway before he could harm anyone else...

OOCGrigori has 15m (x8 NCM) of flight and is looking to get above the gunman in that alley to fire his Bolt of Wrath at the guy in time...

Name
Bolt of Wrath (Does Not Work on the Innocent)
11; 16
3d6;5d6 [5,1,5]; [5,1,5,1,6,3,5,1]

Things are settling down. Time to make himself scarce, before the police decide to enforce those "no vigilantes" laws... and the running gunman gives him a solid opportunity.

Disappearing silently from his place, Lamplighter flows silently after the gunman. If he can get in front of him in one or two leaps, all the better; if not, all he needs is a few moments within range, and then he can simply surround the man's head with a globe of methane and knock him out cold.

OOCTeleporting into range of the gunman (out of sight within the alleys would be ideal, directly in front of the gunman would be perfect) and then using Toxic Fog as an Attack Action on the thug.

Name
Attack
3d6 3,2,1
Potential Damage (vs. Alternate Defense (life support))
7d6 5,3,2,5,5,1,3

bare-knuckle.webp.86bcd2bcbb38e50c765cbe3bce4c7ec0.webpPaul Petrovski

"That looks like an awful lot of paperwork sitting in that trunk, Officer."

Paul takes a good look at what's in the back of that SUV, the high end firepower that shouldn't be out on the street, the piles of illicit cash.  And who knows what's in that briefcase... and beer.  Man, remember when drinking a few beers actually was fun.  

"I'm guessing it would cut down on that paperwork if we take off before your backup arrives..."  and he is already taking a few steps to start his drift away from the scene.  Another glance around at the others that showed up, The winged guy, The jet powered armor guy, the guy with a lamppost like that video game character he sucked at playing.

Aww... I forgot to use the catchphrase!  Well, maybe next time.

image.jpeg.87af75c611fcc10755c6bab97d04517a.jpegVendetta 

Seamus McDougal, Secret ID,  Character Sheet

The Armored Hero runs hard over to his friend as he is tossed aside, but not shot!  Vendetta offers his hand to help DeAndre up. "Are you O.K., Citizen."  Seamus says, not wanting to give away his true worry and concern.  At the moment, he hoped people just saw him trying to help the former hostage.   "Do you need medical attention?" 

Seamus is far more concerned with the welfare of his friend, DeAndre Phelps than trying to run down the escaping gunman.  While he hadn't actually seen the other 'hero' give chase, his radar system picked up that someone was chasing after the gunman.

Ironworks shrugs, feeling awkward, and replies to Officer Jackson, "Hey, no problem. And I don't know about 'us folks', but I saw too much awful in the neighborhood to keep ducking my head. If I go down, at least I'll go down fightin'."

Considering the others who showed up on the scene, he continues, "But maybe it's in the air, the time is right, or something like that."

"But, hey, to be clear, I didn't even hit nobody here. Just givin' a hand. Oh, and you'll probably want some tin snips to get that guy out, shouldn't be a problem if you get good ones."

Looking at the gear falling out of the back of the SUV, he adds, "About that case... Would, ah, it help if that thing were to have 'accidentally' opened in the crash? If so, maybe it did. Otherwise, I should probably clear out."

Downtown Freedom City, 8:18 p.m.

Grigori and Lamplighter:

The crook is downed and lays unconscious in the alleyway.

Vendetta:

Phelps looks at the hero shocked then stands with Vendetta's help, "Thank you, whoever you are. I - you ever have one of those days?" He draws out his cell and thumbs it, "I'm too shook up to drive so I'll just wait for a cab. Thanks again --- what's your name?"

Ironworks:

The cop looks around at the heroes departing and grins, "Well, that's different." He points at Ironworks, "Jackson - Sergeant Roy Jackson, if you ever need a friend. I know I do." A fleet of FCPD cruisers arrive from multiple directions, officers jumping out with their handguns drawn! Jackson directs them to seal off the intersection ...